PDA

View Full Version : Race or Template? Or Both?

Tormsskull
2007-08-27, 06:46 PM
So I want to make a new creature, but I am not sure if it should be a race or a template or both.

The idea is that an evil wizard crafts a humanoid construct, and then using necromantic magic, binds a soul to that construct. The construct has set physical stats, but the mental stats come from the soul that is bound to the construct.

So would this be better represented by making it a template that requires a specific construct type to be applied to, and then explaining it all in the fluff, or make it a race (construct) and then explaining the fluff in the "Construction" section.

Or some weird combo?

jindra34
2007-08-27, 06:56 PM
So I want to make a new creature, but I am not sure if it should be a race or a template or both.

The idea is that an evil wizard crafts a humanoid construct, and then using necromantic magic, binds a soul to that construct. The construct has set physical stats, but the mental stats come from the soul that is bound to the construct.

So would this be better represented by making it a template that requires a specific construct type to be applied to, and then explaining it all in the fluff, or make it a race (construct) and then explaining the fluff in the "Construction" section.

Or some weird combo?

Template on any other basic construct...

martyboy74
2007-08-27, 07:10 PM
It depends. Do want this to be applicable to all kinds of constructs, or just one?

Zeta Kai
2007-08-27, 07:28 PM
It depends. Do want this to be applicable to all kinds of constructs, or just one?

Good question, although I would still choose a template; one that would bind X creature's soul to Y creature's body. For a good starting point of mashing together 2 different creatures, I suggest looking at the Tauric Creature template from Monster Manual II (page 216). Good luck. If I weren't far too busy with my own projects (& life in general), I would gladly help you.

Tormsskull
2007-08-27, 08:38 PM

Sort of specific. The construct has to be made out of this one homebrewed material for the spell that is keyed to it to work. So there could be a couple of different kinds of the construct, but they all have to be made out of the same stuff.

As of right now I'm just looking at one type of construct, a humanoid-shaped one.

Good question, although I would still choose a template; one that would bind X creature's soul to Y creature's body. For a good starting point of mashing together 2 different creatures, I suggest looking at the Tauric Creature template from Monster Manual II (page 216). Good luck. If I weren't far too busy with my own projects (& life in general), I would gladly help you.

I'm a bit familiar with the Tauric creature, but that's combining two creatures to form one new creature. I want the construct to have set abilities, then have whatever soul is imparted into it give it the mental abilities of the soul.

Hmm, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the info all.

Justyn
2007-08-27, 09:03 PM
Does the construct need to be made 100% of the material?

Benejeseret
2007-08-28, 01:29 PM
Have you checked out the half-golem templates? They are basically designed to be kind of what you are looking for.

The biggest drawback is the -6 int/-6 cha for the soul-fused type thing I think you are looking for.

Assuming though that the soul he selects has high Int and Cha then this would not be too bad a choice.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-28, 02:47 PM
I would go template that is of the construct, rather than the soul that applies to constructs. You can simply have all of the physical attributes etc. of the base creature be replaced with those in the template.

Tormsskull
2007-08-28, 03:34 PM
Does the construct need to be made 100% of the material?

Yes.

Have you checked out the half-golem templates? They are basically designed to be kind of what you are looking for.

That's another one that I only know a little bit about. But the main difference, which may just be in the way that I am viewing it in my mind, is that the body of the creature I want to make is already predetermined. The shape, form, etc. are all set to a specific standard. There will be no obvious way to tell that there is in fact a soul inside the construct (short of magic).

Half-golem, once again in my mind, is a physical joining of some creature with golem type parts.

I would go template that is of the construct, rather than the soul that applies to constructs. You can simply have all of the physical attributes etc. of the base creature be replaced with those in the template.

Oh! Now that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. If I consider the construct and the soul to, as a union, be 1 template, then I can add the template onto whoever's soul is being used. That should work perfectly.

Then I'll just explain the fluff in the template description.

I was trying to think of a way that I could use this within the framework of e-tools, and I think that would work perfectly, as templates can be made to set stats and also modify stats, add abilities, etc, within e-tools.

Thanks!