PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Thri-Kreen Race Feedback

Davrix
2018-02-21, 09:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?551453-Thri-kreen-Race

This was started in the 5th ed forums but as someone pointed out it really should be talked about here. The OP had a decent basis but one I felt lead to to much of a power boost for the race. One of the biggest things i want to avoid is allowing for weapons to be used in their second set of arms. At least not without a feat at least. So I took what he posted and re-worked it into something I think works a little better with 3 feets to go along with the race. The things I'm toying with that are not set in stone are.

The burrow speed
The venom attack
Multi-arm feature

These are probably the biggest power boosters for the race.

Thri-Kreen Traits
Ability Score Increase - Your Dexterity increases by two and your Constitution increases by 1.
Age - Thri-Kreen mature around 6 and rarely live past 30.
Alignment - Thri-Kreen are mostly chaotic neutral. They view themselves as as the epitome of evolution. The hive offering both superior strength and intelligence over all other races. Because of this, Thri-Kreen consider all other living creatures as potential nourishment, although If a creature might prove useful for something other than food, they aren't likely to attack it on sight. Thri-Kreen kill to survive, never for sport.
Size - Thri-keen are on the smaller side of medium, usually averaging around 4 to 5 feet. the bulk of their bodies being made up by armored chitin from their carapaces.
Speed - Your base walking speed is 30ft. With a burrow speed of 10ft in soft loose earth or sand.
Bite - You can use your mandible to make an unarmed Bite attack at 1D4+str)
Venom - As an Bonus action, the Thri-keen can make a bite attack and inject poison into the wound if it hits. The target becomes poisoned until the end of its next turn. Once used this attack cannot be used again until a short or long rest is finished.
Stasis - Thri-Kreen can enter into a state of awareness that gains all the benefits of sleep, though they are aware of any sudden changes to the environment around them as if they were awake and on guard. This is most commonly used when watching the hatchery
Desert Hunter - Thri-keen are born to the sand covered hives in the desert of (Insert land)and live most of their lives near or in them protecting the hive. Because of this, harsh desert living is second nature to them. Gain proficiency in the survival skill and difficult sandy terrain counts as normal for you.
Natural Armor - You have hard chitinous plates that provide protection. Your AC = 13+Dex as long as your not wearing armor.
Multiple limbs - You have a second pair of arms, they are not as strong or as dexterousness as your upper arms so you cannot use them to make weapon attacks or cast spells but they do allow you to hold small items like a potion. As such you are able to interact with things more efficiently than normal bipeds. You are allowed a second free item interaction on your turn and as a bonus action you may use a potion instead of using an action providing you are holding the potion.
Hive Mind - Thri-Kreen do not communicate like other races. They instead use various clicking sounds and pheromones to allow an empathic form of communication between their own kind. Thri-Kreen can understand common. However they cannot speak it. Instead relying on pictures and gestures to communicate their intentions. This can sometimes lead to frustrating interactions between other races they deem worthy of their time.

Thri-Keen Feats

Deadly Bite

Increase your Str or Con by +1
Your bite attack is now 1D6+Str and counts as magical for overcoming resistance
Venom now lasts for one minute when applied. The creature must now make a saving throw at the end of each of it turns. (Sv DC 8+Prof+Con) If it succeeds the poison ends. If it fails the effect continues, if the creature fails the save by 5 or more the target also becomes paralyzed until it makes a successful save and both conditions end.

Augmentation
Your body was augmented in order to better protect the hive. You gain the following additional abilities.
You count as having a running start when you take the jump action.
You have advantage on all grapple checks provided you meet the conditions of grapple with your upper arms and both of your lower arms are free to use for the grapple check.
You can change the color of your carapace to match the color and texture of its surroundings, as long as your not wearing armor. As a result, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks when taking the hide action and creatures have disadvantage on perception checks when trying to detect you providing you didn't move on your last turn.

Flurry of Limbs (Highly experimental)
You have trained your lower limbs to be stronger and more durable than your kin
Increases Str or Dex +1
You may use your second set of arms to wield one weapon providing it has the light or finesse property. You gain +1 ac if you are holding a weapon this way but you loose the bonuses of your multiple limbs ability . You may forgo the AC bonus on your turn and take a second attack action with this weapon.

JNAProductions
2018-02-21, 09:55 PM
Dex+2, Con+1... Those are powerful stat boosts. Most everyone can use Dex, and EVERYONE can use Con.

Age, Alignment are fluff.

Size is fine.

Walking speed is fine. I'm iffy on burrow speed-maybe be more clear what qualifies for burrowing?

Bite is fine.

Venom, as a once per short rest thing, I might actually make stronger. Last one minute, with a new save every turn.

Stasis is okay, I guess.

Desert Hunter seems okay.

Natural Armor I would drop to 12+Dex.

Multiple Limbs seems fine.

Feats seem okay, except Flurry Of Limbs. I'd just drop it entirely, or maybe make it a PrC.

Overall... No one feature is too strong. HOWEVER, taken all together, it's too much. I'd find some features to cut back on-maybe get rid of Desert Hunter, to start?

Davrix
2018-02-21, 10:10 PM
Dex+2, Con+1... Those are powerful stat boosts. Most everyone can use Dex, and EVERYONE can use Con.
Age, Alignment are fluff.
Size is fine.
Walking speed is fine. I'm iffy on burrow speed-maybe be more clear what qualifies for burrowing?
Bite is fine.
Venom, as a once per short rest thing, I might actually make stronger. Last one minute, with a new save every turn.
Stasis is okay, I guess.
Desert Hunter seems okay.
Natural Armor I would drop to 12+Dex.
Multiple Limbs seems fine.
Feats seem okay, except Flurry Of Limbs. I'd just drop it entirely, or maybe make it a PrC.
Overall... No one feature is too strong. HOWEVER, taken all together, it's too much. I'd find some features to cut back on-maybe get rid of Desert Hunter, to start?

I hadne't thought about that maybe just +1Dex +1con sense they have slightly stronger features?
I'm iffy on burrow myself I might just limit it to say sand and mud that might make it more clear but its something I will probably cut.
With Venom I kind of want the deadly bite feat to give it the minute long duration, would 1D4 rounds be to powerful without having a save on venom?
I think I will drop the armor down to 12+Dex
Multiple Limbs is iffy still I think I may take out the bonus potion and just leave it as an extra item interaction.
Yea flurry is really just... yea it was an experiment but I think its less of a headache for everyone if you just don't let them use weapons in those arms. Whats PrC mean btw?