PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Witcher Class for 3.5 (WIP)

Sejoran
2018-02-26, 12:49 AM
I've had this project sitting around for a while and while incomplete i wanted to get some other opinions and see what could be done to make this a viable lvl 1-20 3.5 class. Just keep in mind that this is not finished by any means. ​Some of these show current ideas for what a feature should be but have no set values.

Witcher

https://orig00.deviantart.net/2963/f/2017/034/0/d/geralt_bio_by_deathbattledino-daxro7q.jpg
​(i do not own this image, credit to the original artist)

Witchers are a sect of enigmatic monster hunters for hire. They've undergone extensive physical and mental training, even going so far as to modify their bodies to be faster and stronger to match the monsters they hunt down. Witchers may be mostly hunters of monsters but they also seek to keep the balance between monsters and men.

Trained from childhood Witchers-to-be undergo rigorous training, as well as partaking in special alchemical substances and mutagenic compounds. When they come of age they undergo the Trial of the Grasses; a barbaric practice of which only three in ten survive, but ultimately change them so that they can fight on par with monsters. Though the Trial of the Grasses is beneficial it comes with drawbacks; Mainly sterility and cat-like eyes, sometimes it comes with other mutations such as white hair or twisted limbs.

Witchers are mostly Humans and although rare you might find an elf, dwarf, or halfling Witcher. Witchers also benefit from an extended lifespan.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Class Features

+0
+2
+2
+0
Favored Enemy, Witcher Style

+1
+3
+3
+0
Signs 2/day, Track

+2
+3
+3
+1
Favored Enemy 2, Endurance

+3
+4
+4
+1
Signs 3/day, Witcher Specialization

+3
+4
+4
+1
Witcher Augment 1

+4
+5
+5
+2
Signs 4/day, Favored Enemy 3, Battlefield Acumen

+5
+5
+5
+2
-

+6/1
+6
+6
+2
Signs 5/day

+6/1
+6
+6
+3
Favored Enemy 4, Heightened Senses

+7/2
+7
+7
+3
Signs 6/day, Witcher Specialization

+8/3
+7
+7
+3
Witcher Augment 2

+9/4
+8
+8
+4
Signs 7/day, Favored Enemy 5

+9/4
+8
+8
+4
Veteran Witcher

+10/5
+9
+9
+4
Signs 8/day

+11/6/1
+9
+9
+5
Favored Enemy 6

+12/7/2
+10
+10
+5
Signs 9/day, Witcher Specialization

+12/7/2
+10
+10
+5
Witcher Augment 3

+13/8/3
+11
+11
+6
Signs 10/day, Favored Enemy 7

+14/9/4
+11
+11
+6
-

+15/10/5
+12
+12
+6
Signs 11/day

HD d10. Class Skills 4 + Int mod, x4 at first level.
Str, Dex and Int are good ability scores for Witchers.
The Witcher class cannot be multi-classed into but if you start as a Witcher and take levels in another class you can still take levels in Witcher.

The Witchers class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(dex), Climb(str), Craft(int), Craft Alchemy(int), Escape Artist(dex), Gather Information(cha), Intimidate(cha), Knowledge Arcana(int),Knowledge Nature(int), Knowledge Dungeoneering(int), Knowledge Religion(int), Profession(int), Ride(dex), Sense Motive(wis), Survival(wis), and Swim(str)

Silvered Sword: All Witchers start with a Silvered Bastard Sword, regardless of school.

Monstrous Humanoid: Being one of the lucky ones to survive the Trial of the Grasses, your type has changed to Monstrous Humanoid with the exception of Low Light Vision instead of Dark Vision, to 60’.

Witcher Alchemy: Witchers know a thing or two about alchemy, they gain a +1 bonus to the skill every three levels starting at first, up to a maximum bonus of +7. Craft Alchemy is what they use to craft their blade oils, potions, and bombs.

Favored Enemy(Ex): At first level and every three thereafter the Witcher can choose a type of creature from the Ranger favored enemy list, excluding humanoids(e.g. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling). They gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

Signs: At Second level the Witcher gains access to Signs, five spell like abilities that share uses per day. The Witcher starts with 2/day, and gains a use every other level thereafter.

Track: At second level Witchers gain the Track feat.

Endurance: At third level the Witcher gains the Endurance feat

Witcher Style: The Witcher was trained at one of the few schools of either the Cat, Griffin, or Bear. Pick where the Witcher trained at, this choice cannot be changed at a later date.

The School of the Cat are trained to be stealthy and quick on their feet. They gain light Armor Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency and Proficiency with Bastard Swords. They can make minor potions and Blade Oils to help them in combat

The School of the Griffin focus on using their signs to deadly effect while in combat. They gain Light and Medium Armor Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency and Proficiency with Bastard Swords. They can customize their signs to an extent and can use Blade Oils.

The School of the Bear are fearsome opponents using their heavy strikes and bombs to demoralize opponents. They gain Light, Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiency. Simple, and Martial Weapon Proficiency and Proficiency with Bastard Swords. They can make Bombs and use Blade Oils
Witcher Specializations are outlined in their respective overviews.

Battlefield Acumen: At 6th level the Witcher after being in many battles and situations has learned, as a move action, to; drink/pull out a potion, oil their blade, or arm themselves without provoking.

Heightened Senses: At 9th level the Witcher gains blindsense to 20’

Veteran Witcher: At 13th level the Witcher now adds their INT modifier(to a minimum of 0)to their Attack rolls, Initiative, and Reflex saves.

Witchers of the Cat School gain Hide(dex) and Move Silently(dex) as class skills.

Witcher Specializations

Varied Handgrip: Cat School Witchers have been trained to use slashing and piercing strikes with their bastard swords. While wielding a bastard sword a witcher gains the Weapon Finesse feat, and as a free action can change their grip on a bladed slashing weapon to make the damage type piercing instead. But the damage goes down a die(e.g. 1d10->1d8)

Witchers of the Griffin School gain Concentration(con) and Spellcraft(int) as class skills.

Witcher Specializations

Sign Intensity:

Sign Channeling: As a standard action or part of a full attack a Griffin School Witcher can channel certain signs through their blade. This sign is applied to the first strike that hits in that round, if not used the sign fades at the end of the round and a sign use is expended.
-Aard: A force effect adds weight behind your strike. Fort save (DC 10 + Half Witcher lvl + int mod) or be knocked prone.
-Igni: Flame courses over the blade. This adds 1d6 fire damage per 3 Witcher levels, maximum of 5.
-Yrden: Will save (DC 10 + Half Witcher lvl + int mod) or become slowed for a number of rounds equal to half the Witchers int mod(minimum of 1).

Sign Vocalization: Use vocal components to cast signs instead of somatic(this adds the ability to use vocal, you can still use only somatic if you wish).

Witchers of the Bear School gain Tumble(dex) and Armor Training

Armor Training: Starting at 3rd lvl a Witcher learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor. Whenever he is wearing armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.

Witcher Specializations

Heavy Strikes: Bear School Witchers have trained in overwhelming strikes. They gain the Power Attack feat with bastard swords, and as a free action can change their grip on a bladed slashing weapon to make the damage type bludgeoning instead. But the damage goes down a die(e.g. 1d10->1d8)

Better Bombs: Unlock a set of secondary effects for bombs

Witcher Augments have been taken out of being in each school and made general, Specializations are still school specific.

Animal
Necrophages(undead)

Draconid
Ogroids

Elementia
Relicts(outsiders)

Hanged Man's Venom(humanoids)
Plant

Monstrous Humanoids
Specter(incorporeal)

Magical Beasts
Vermin

Blade Oils: Applied to a weapon and striking the correct target, these blade oils will do +1 dmg per 3 ranks in the Alchemy skill plus Int mod. The oils last a number of strikes equal to half the Witchers Alchemy skill, Criticals consume two strikes worth of uses. Striking the wrong target takes up a use but does nothing additional. Only one Blade Oil may be used at a time. Witchers select a Blade oil to learn every two levels starting at level one.

Aard
Standard action. Force push, line, possibly stagger or like ranged bull rush.

Axii
Standard/Swift action. Calming or like charm person, maybe bonus if used with diplomacy check, will save.

Igni
Standard action. Fire cone 15’, dmg, fort or catch fire for targets within 5’, reflex for half.

Quen
Immediate/swift action. Range self. A shield that Blocks 5 points of damage per Witcher level (maximum of 50 points of damage), lasts one round per witcher level(maximum 10) or until dissipated.

Yrden
Standard action. Range self. 20’ radius. One min/level A will save each round or become entangled.

Saves against these abilities is 10 + half Witcher class HD + Int mod.

Current Bomb ideas

Dimeritium: temp anti-magic cloud
Dragons Breath: fire damage
North Wind: cold damage, chance to freeze in place 1 round
Ghouls Breath: inhaled poison, 2 saves, initial sickened, secondary paralysis for a round or two.
Giants Folly: Inhaled poison, str & dex dmg. 1d(3-4) per size category starting at Med.
Wights Blood: sticky explosion/contact poison. lasts 1d4 rounds dealing witchers lvl in damage, secondary effect(only once) fort save or gain 1 neg lvl.
Devils Puffball: explosion/stinking cloud. starts off as a cloud that induces coughing and retching, if a flame is set to it it explodes for fire dmg.
Grapeshot: shrapnel grenade. explodes for a small (5' rad)aoe of fire and a larger (10' rad)aoe of piercing dmg.

Witcher Potions
Witcher potions are toxic to non Witchers. Any non Witcher drinking one of these potions must succeed a Fort save DC 10 + ½ Witchers ranks in alchemy + int mod, or take 1d6 con damage. Success for a non witcher, the potion works, but at only half the usefulness(this being damage, healing or duration). These are mundane potions. Similar spells are listed for crafting purposes such as; Time, Gold, and Duration. For crafting purposes most are made as druid first, wizard second, cleric third if it is not on the druid spell list.

Bindweed - Depending on the version made, grants the user resistance 10/acid or 25/acid. 10/acid requires an Craft(Alchemy) check DC 18. 25/acid requires an Craft(Alchemy) check DC 28 (for crafting purpose as Resist Energy).

Black Blood - Makes the imbibers blood cursed to creatures that bite or try to blood drain. Fort save DC , Curse; stat drain to all stats 1/day. Restoration can restore the ability points, but only remove curse can cure it. Craft(Alchemy) DC 24 (for crafting purpose as Curse).

Blizzard - As the spell Haste, single target. Craft(Alchemy) DC 20.

De Vries' Extract - Makes hidden opponents visible. Advanced night vision. Acts as true seeing. Craft(Alchemy) DC 25(for crafting purposes True Seeing).

Golden Oriole - As the spell Neutralize Poison. Craft(Alchemy) DC 18

Gadwall - Grants fast healing at the expense of strength. While the duration lasts it grants the imbiber fast healing 5, but imbiber takes a -4 penalty to strength. The penalty dissipates when the duration of the potion is up. Craft(Alchemy) DC 22.(for crafting purposes as Greater Vigor).

Petri's Philter - (still under construction)

Shrike - Imbibers blood is infused with either Lightning, Acid, or Fire(chosen at creation). Everytime the imbiber takes at least 5 points of slashing or piercing damage, opponent is sprayed with the imbibers blood causing 1d6 of the chosen damage type. Lesser Shrike; 1d6, Craft(Alchemy) DC 18. Greater Shrike; 2d6, Craft(Alchemy) DC 22.(for crafting purposes; Lesser lvl 2 spell, Greater lvl 4 spell. Duration; 1/round a level).

Thunderbolt - Grants a +4 to strength and +2 to hit and damage but at the cost of becoming flat footed for the duration. Lesser Thunderbolt; +4 str, +2 hit/damage, Craft(Alchemy) DC 19. Greater Thunderbolt; +6 str, +3 hit/damage, Craft(Alchemy) DC 22.(for crafting purposes; Lesser, as prayer. Greater lvl 4 spell, same duration as prayer).

White Honey - Cancels out potion effects/durations. Craft(Alchemy) DC 15. (for crafting purposes lvl 1 spell).

White Raffard's Decoction - Lesser as Cure Light Wounds, Craft(Alchemy) DC 16. Greater as Cure Serious Wounds, Craft(Alchemy) DC 21. Superior as Heal, Craft(Alchemy) DC 28.

Willow - Grants Imbiber immunity to stun. Craft(Alchemy) DC 26.(for crafting purposes as Polymorph)

Wolf - Increases the imbibers perception, granting a +2 to spot and listen as well as increasing their critical range by one step for the duration(E.g. 19-20 -> 18-20). Craft(Alchemy) DC 19. (for crafting purposes as Keen Edge)

March 19th - Added changelog and added 12 craftable potions

rferries
2018-02-26, 02:12 AM
Preface: I haven't played any of the games and know very little about the lore. However since they're meant to be world-saving protagonists (I think?) I'll make comments that assume it should be a high-tier class; feel free to ignore any of my comments that make the class more powerful than fighters/paladins/rangers etc. Also, kudos to you for the writeup! :)

CLASS TABLE, SKILLS, HD

At a glance, better HD, skills, and favoured enemy progression than a ranger, but worse BAB. I think you could safely bump it up to full BAB.

Maybe add Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (the planes), as those skills allow checks about the weaknesses of humanoids, elementals, and outsiders?

Silvered Sword: All Witchers start with a Silvered Bastard Sword, regardless of school.

I like this idea! More classs should come such with a starting bonus item. Maybe generalise it to any weapon (or even armor) and any special material, assuming that doesn't mess with the flavour?

Monstrous Humanoid: Being one of the lucky ones to survive the Trial of the Grasses, your type has changed to Monstrous Humanoid with the exception of Low Light Vision instead of Dark Vision, to 60’.

It's been pointed out to me for my own homebrew that this is a fairly strong buff - immunity to various charm/hold/etc. person spells and effects and potential alter self abuse. In spite of that I think it's ok, just something to keep in mind. For simplicity's sake I'd give them the darkvision anyways, and add low-light vision as a separate ability.

Witcher Alchemy: Witchers know a thing or two about alchemy, they gain a +1 bonus to the skill every three levels starting at first, up to a maximum bonus of +7. Craft Alchemy is what they use to craft their blade oils, potions, and bombs.

I'd increase this bonus to 1/2 their class level, equal to their their character level, or even a flat +10 bonus that increases to +20/+30 at various class levels.

Favored Enemy(Ex): At first level and every three thereafter the Witcher can choose a type of creature from the Ranger favored enemy list, excluding humanoids(e.g. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling). They gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

Righto. I like the progression and the allowed options (ignore my earlier Knowledge (local) comment if you wish, but depending on the setting elves etc. could be considered inhuman monsters).

Signs: At Second level the Witcher gains access to Signs, five spell like abilities that share uses per day. The Witcher starts with 2/day, and gains a use every other level thereafter.

Neat workaround to an MP system.

Track: At second level Witchers gain the Track feat.

Ha they're definitely competing with the ranger class, I see.

Endurance: At third level the Witcher gains the Endurance feat

Nice bit of flavour.

Witcher Style: The Witcher was trained at one of the few schools of either the Cat, Griffin, or Bear. Pick where the Witcher trained at, this choice cannot be changed at a later date.

I'd bump this up to before the level-dependent abilities (Track, Endurance, etc.). Also consider giving a base proficiency with simple (plus martial?) weapons (plus bastard swords) and light armour to all Witchers, which the Griffin and Bear schools could expand upon - it's unusual that the Bear school doesn't also grant light armour proficiency, for example.

Battlefield Acumen: At 6th level the Witcher after being in many battles and situations has learned, as a move action, to; drink/pull out a potion, oil their blade, or arm themselves without provoking.

Nice.

Veteran Witcher: At 12th level the Witcher now adds half of their INT modifier(to a minimum of 0)to their attack rolls, initiative, and Reflex saves.

They'll be a fairly MAD class so it could be full Int bonus (which is also simpler).

Heightened Senses: At 18th level the Witcher gains blindsense to 20’
[/SPOILER]

Also nice. Could be gained at 9th-level though, when spellcasters start getting true seeing.

I'll stop here as the remaining abilities should be finished first, before balance comments are made. Overall very nice, I don't usually like martial classes but it looks like this one is going to have a lot of options :)

Sejoran
2018-02-26, 02:36 AM
it's unusual that the Bear school doesn't also grant light armour proficiency, for example.

Ah, and see here. This is one reason i posted this, i didn't even notice that. That's been fixed.

Falontani
2018-02-26, 02:14 PM
A question, does the blade oils get +1 damage per 3 ranks in the Craft Alchemy skill or +1 damage per 3 points in the Craft Alchemy skill?
Example A) I'm level 3 Witcher with 6 ranks in Craft Alchemy, I get +2 damage
Example B) I'm level 1 Witcher with 4 ranks in Craft Alchemy, a +2 intelligence modifier, and I get +2 damage

Sejoran
2018-02-26, 02:46 PM
I would like to keep it to ranks only, though ranks + int mod would make sense. Other bonuses would not apply, now i know they get a bonus to their alchemy skill, but keep in mind their Favored Enemy feature.

All Witcher schools get access to both Favored Enemy and Blade Oils, to keep it from getting too crazy they unfortunately do not get the bonus from Witcher Alchemy added into the Blade Oils.

A few examples assuming a 3 str mod, 5 int mod with a bastard sword with a lvl 16 Witcher against a favored enemy:
-With just full ranks for Blade Oils; 1d10+3+6+2
-With full ranks + Int mod; 1d10+3+11+2
-With full ranks, int mod and bonus of 6 from Witcher Alchemy; 1d10+3+17+2

With it typed out like this ranks plus int mod does look better. But the addition of Witcher Alchemy bonus is up for debate depending on if it stays as is or switches to half Witcher lvl.

Sejoran
2018-03-19, 11:44 PM
Added some potions for the Cat Witchers. Kind of disappointed in posting this here, honestly thought id get a little more feedback. Like i said i know its not finished, and honestly i should have put WIP in the title. Thats my bad, but i see there are a fair amount of views for this, just that everyone seems to want to look but no suggestions or ideas, or comments that its too overpowered or underpowered.

Will still continue to post changes as i get around to them but hopefully ill see a little more feedback(maybe? please? even if its saying something wouldn't work). Expect a few more potions and secondary effects for most of them as Cat Witchers will get a Specialization for better potions.

rferries
2018-03-21, 04:13 PM
Added some potions for the Cat Witchers. Kind of disappointed in posting this here, honestly thought id get a little more feedback. Like i said i know its not finished, and honestly i should have put WIP in the title. Thats my bad, but i see there are a fair amount of views for this, just that everyone seems to want to look but no suggestions or ideas, or comments that its too overpowered or underpowered.

Will still continue to post changes as i get around to them but hopefully ill see a little more feedback(maybe? please? even if its saying something wouldn't work). Expect a few more potions and secondary effects for most of them as Cat Witchers will get a Specialization for better potions.

Ha try not to take it personally, everyone has stuff to deal with so comments should be seen as a bonus rather than taken for granted (I myself churn out a LOAD of stuff and I'm often surprised at what draws comments and what doesn't). It's odd that you aren't getting comments on this particular work though, I thought Witcher was a fairly popular series.