PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Lurker of All

X15lm204
2007-08-28, 06:38 PM
Salvete omnes,

I am a lurker on these boards. I generally spend about 10-20 hours per week perusing them. As you can see by looking to the left of this post, I've been a member here since December of 2005, and yet I remain a Dwarf. That's a fair amount of time longer than some of the most well known posters on the boards (though certainly not all and probably not even most), but I seriously doubt that anyone who reads this will recognize me. After over a year and a half of lurking, this is my 179th post.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. There must be someone even more silent than me. Perhaps someone joined a year ago and hasn't posted twice since then. Perhaps someone joined immediately after the genesis of these boards but only has twenty posts under their belt. In their anyone I can possibly lure out of hiding who has an even more impressive lurking resume than me?

And as a side question, does anyone here actually recognize my name? :smallbiggrin:
What about my fellow lurkers who might post here?

Valete,
Hordecommander5

Dhavaer
2007-08-28, 06:39 PM
I recognise your name.

Brickwall
2007-08-28, 06:41 PM
...does it strike you that lurkers will not be posting here, because they are, in fact, lurkers?

ILLITERATES ANONYMOUS MEETING THURSDAY AT 216 IRONY STREET.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-28, 06:43 PM
I recognize you. I just have yet to enter lurker mode...

X15lm204
2007-08-28, 06:48 PM
*fangirlsqueal* Dhavaer knows my name!! *faint*

Hee. Not ten minutes go by, and already a Titan with over 21,000 posts and an Ettin with over 7,000, both of whom have been here longer than me, have replied. How's that for irony.

Aeyamar
2007-08-28, 06:48 PM
Aren't you not allowed to start threads that focus on post count and/or how long you've been here.

X15lm204
2007-08-28, 06:51 PM
Aren't you not allowed to start threads that focus on post count and/or how long you've been here.

Shoot, I must have missed that rule. :smallfrown:

If this thread does so offend, moderators, my humblest opologies.

Gaelbert
2007-08-28, 07:42 PM
I think this is more focusing on lurking, than post count and how long you've been here. I realize that's pretty much the same thing, but there is a subtle difference. And if someones been here 2 years and only posted twice, why would they want to break that perfect record? You might want to ask for PMs, though.:smallsmile:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-08-28, 08:32 PM

Hee. Not ten minutes go by, and already a Titan with over 21,000 posts and an Ettin with over 7,000, both of whom have been here longer than me, have replied. How's that for irony.
There's a reason these people have so many posts...That they reply to stuff.
Also, I would like to congratulate you on breaking the silence. I have nothing against lurkers, but I simply can't comprehend not posting...
Oh, and no, I don't recognise your display name, but I'm just a mere orc...Which is, hilariously, still more than you :smalltongue:

Logic
2007-08-28, 09:28 PM
Well, I know I have seen some HordeCommander here on these boards. I don't know for sure if you and he are the same. I usually ignore the numerals after a name, unless I notice more than one and the 2 posters have vastly different writing styles.

ranger89
2007-08-28, 09:48 PM
HordeCommander5: I've been a member for 1 year and have a whopping 48 posts to my credit. Does that mean I win? :smallwink:

Also, I would like to congratulate you on breaking the silence. I have nothing against lurkers, but I simply can't comprehend not posting

As a former lurker who has only recently begun to actively post, the main reason I never posted was that I didn't have the time (and was too lazy) to read entire threads. I'd see an interesting post that would go on... and on... and on. I didn't want to be that guy that chimes in on page 8 and repeats something that was said on page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. so I tended not to post. Why did I de-lurk? I got tired of not participating in these most excellent conversations about geeky goodness. :smallsmile:

Any other reformed lurkers care to share their reasons for de-lurking?

Crilley
2007-08-28, 10:09 PM
I'm usually too lazy to post, or scared I'll get flamed for my, sometimes crappy, grammar or spelling.

Vaynor
2007-08-28, 10:32 PM
I like how you're posting about not posting...

Brickwall
2007-08-28, 10:34 PM
I like how you're posting about not posting...

...does it strike you that lurkers will not be posting here, because they are, in fact, lurkers?

ILLITERATES ANONYMOUS MEETING THURSDAY AT 216 IRONY STREET.

You got pre-simu'd, dude. :smallamused:

Vaynor
2007-08-28, 10:58 PM
Pfffffffffffft. Reading the whole thread is for noobs...

Meet me at the anarchy club meeting and we'll discuss it further.

Vonriel
2007-08-28, 11:03 PM
Anarchy... club? :smallconfused: Oh, right, it's scheduled to meet just after procrastinator's anonymous.

Vaynor
2007-08-28, 11:05 PM
Anarchy... club? :smallconfused: Oh, right, it's scheduled to meet just after procrastinator's anonymous.

No no, the procrastinators anonymous meeting is next thursday, they rescheduled again.

Skippy
2007-08-28, 11:05 PM
I'm usually too lazy to post, or scared I'll get flamed for my, sometimes crappy, grammar or spelling.

Come on!! There are rules against flaming, and people from all around the world with lousy grammar and/or spelling, and yet they get to be well known...

Don't be afraid! We're all playing nice here at the Playground!!

Vaynor
2007-08-28, 11:08 PM

Speak for yourself...

Lucky
2007-08-28, 11:08 PM
[There are] people from all around the world with lousy grammar and/or spelling, and yet they get to be well known...Just because we haven't fixed AE yet doesn't mean you should encourage it...

Oh, and what ^ said.

Brickwall
2007-08-28, 11:10 PM

I'm in agreement with Vaynor here. I'm not nice. Be afraid. :smallamused:

Skippy
2007-08-28, 11:13 PM
Okay, we're not all nice... Who am I kidding? Be careful when you write. They will eat you without mercy.

Lucky
2007-08-28, 11:14 PM
Okay, we're not all nice... Who am I kidding? Be careful when you write. They will eat you without mercy.That's better.

Brickwall
2007-08-28, 11:17 PM
That's better.

We brick walls do not "eat" people. We crush them. We hone in upon their insecurities and innermost negative feelings and bring them out. We turn them into their own object of hatred, then reveal their hypocrisy to them in full. Then we subsist upon the energy of utmost dispair and self-loathing. And it's gooooood.

Lurkers taste best. :smallamused:

Lucky
2007-08-28, 11:29 PM
Lurkers taste best. :smallamused:Meh, I'm a fan of Pixies myself. Coincidently, lurkers quite frequently turn out to be Pixies.

Yummy.

Skippy
2007-08-28, 11:41 PM
It's easier to find pixies than lurkers, though... Lurkers just... lurk...

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-29, 12:14 AM
The greatest lurkers are still lurking.

But when it comes to eating, barbarians are no good, contrary to popular belief, they have alot of carbs. Carbarians you might say. I'm on an Atkins diet you see. (j/k)

Geode
2007-08-29, 12:32 AM
*Lurks*
*Lurks some more to fill in character count*
edit: *waves back at Ego Slayer*

Ego Slayer
2007-08-29, 12:35 AM
Nowai! It's Geode! She's come out of... lurking! :smallbiggrin:
*waves at the passing lurkers*

Castaras
2007-08-29, 01:46 AM
Ooo, a lurker.

I lurked before. *points at join date* Posted twice and lurked for ages. It's fun. :smalltongue:

Although I don't think I could go back to lurking in the near future...

Dhavaer
2007-08-29, 02:05 AM
I declare this thread awesome, if only because it informed me that I have fangirls. Squealing fangirls, at that.

Vonriel
2007-08-29, 02:08 AM
What's more, he even spelled your name right! :smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-08-29, 02:11 AM
That's good too. Doesn't happen nearly often enough.

Aramil Liadon
2007-08-29, 11:11 AM
Only 10-20 hours per week? Pathetic! Try 7-10 hours per day, THEN call yourself a lurker!

I always have to bribe myself to post. Fun.

Zephra
2007-08-29, 11:15 AM
Well, I might just have sunk into lurkdome. this here playground just isn't the same anymore.

arnoldrew
2007-08-29, 11:30 AM
How do I find out how many posts I have?

bosssmiley
2007-08-29, 11:34 AM
How do I find out how many posts I have?

Check your user ID if it matter that much.
Personally I'd rather go for quality of post than quantity.

(In before lock!)

Dragonrider
2007-08-29, 01:23 PM
I lurked for the first six months or so of my presence here...then in June I started posting a little more frequently. In the first half of August, I was on for about four hours a day - I'd open it up and post in between doing other (obligatory) stuff. I know four hours isn't that much for some people, but for me...well, geez.

I've backed off a little, though...school stuff interferes, ya know? :smallamused:

Evil_Pacifist
2007-08-29, 03:04 PM
I feel kinda lurky sometimes (Ooh, "Lurky". I'll have to remember that...), but I am most certainly not going to win any awards for it... However, I have written responses to many, many threads, but I always delete them, because..... Because... I dunno. Something about posting always feels wrong. Like I'm stealing cookies.

Zaggab
2007-08-29, 03:22 PM
I feel kinda lurky sometimes (Ooh, "Lurky". I'll have to remember that...), but I am most certainly not going to win any awards for it... However, I have written responses to many, many threads, but I always delete them, because..... Because... I dunno. Something about posting always feels wrong. Like I'm stealing cookies.

Same here. I probably write almost twice as many posts than I actually post.

Glaivemaster
2007-08-29, 03:22 PM
I lurk a lot more nowadays. I just don't care about the topics of a lot of threads, and have nothing to contribute to the others. I'll only post if I have something new to say

Edit: It's so bad, my avatar caused me a shock after I posted. Maybe I just don't look at my avatar enough

Mkhaiwati
2007-08-30, 12:38 AM
unlock lurker mode:

As a former lurker who has only recently begun to actively post, the main reason I never posted was that I didn't have the time (and was too lazy) to read entire threads. I'd see an interesting post that would go on... and on... and on. I didn't want to be that guy that chimes in on page 8 and repeats something that was said on page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. so I tended not to post. Why did I de-lurk? I got tired of not participating in these most excellent conversations about geeky goodness.

yep, Ranger89 said it all. (how is that for irony!)

And I also agree with Glaivemaster :
I lurk a lot more nowadays. I just don't care about the topics of a lot of threads, and have nothing to contribute to the others. I'll only post if I have something new to say

Back to lurking.:smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-08-30, 02:34 AM
Surely Caw caw is king of the lurkers... what?

Am I allowed to name and shame lurkers here?

Snowelf, we know you're out here...

Jibar
2007-08-30, 02:37 AM
I've played too much Jak and Daxter. People say Lurker, I think of a big purple gorilla-like creature with a huge amount of hair and funny bottom jaw.

T'ze'hai
2007-08-30, 07:30 AM
I don't post much. I'm here for a short time now, and I read almost every day, but I find it hard to post. A lot of threads are older (#15 etc) so I don't know how to jump in. There are a lot of people here, so I'd like to know more before I can really write something that makes sense.
I write on another forum as well, and there I went from newbie to highest-level poster within 4 months. But it is smaller there, and I now the people, in writing at least.
Here I don't always feel welcome, with all those long-time posters saying they quit because it's getting too busy and it's not as it used to be.
I haven't decided yet what I will do here: lurk for a while, learn more, and then post more, or just don't bother and quit before I really started...

Charity
2007-08-30, 08:04 AM
Meh don't worry about those lot ^.
You are most welcome, no need to go all lurkified on us.

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~vernon/Common_Parts/welcome_mat.gif

banjo1985
2007-08-30, 08:14 AM
I didn't go through a stage of lurking, I really just jumped straight into the fun and games here! We really aren't a bad sort, though many will pounce on bad grammar in a jovial rage that I find quite entertaining.

There's nothing wrong with lurking, but I don't think anyone should be put off posting due to the size of the community or the words of a few playgrounders who have left. People leave all the time, it's just that they chose to announce it, which is fine but I understand why it might have put some people off.

The boards are still the most comfortable and friendly forum I've ever joined, and the possibility of some genuine intelligent conversation here followed by completely silliness in the board games section is something I really find unique!

Skippy
2007-08-30, 08:22 AM
Surely Caw caw is king of the lurkers... what?
[/COLOR]

Is he somewhere around here? caw, are you here? We miss you!!!

smellie_hippie
2007-08-30, 10:56 AM
I'm kinda wondering if this thread is going to bring "lurking" as the newest trend. It's not really new... and in fact by it's very nature implies that people who have been here for years just don't make their presence known. (or at least not very often here)

Are you all recruiting or something? :smallconfused:

Castaras
2007-08-30, 10:57 AM
I'm kinda wondering if this thread is going to bring "lurking" as the newest trend. It's not really new... and in fact by it's very nature implies that people who have been here for years just don't make their presence known. (or at least not very often here)

Are you all recruiting or something? :smallconfused:

"Join the lurkers!", they said. "It's a poster's life!", they said.

Charity
2007-08-30, 11:04 AM
Ooo Lego avi .... Coooool

er um topic ... I remember, I lurked without an account for bout a year, then I created an account and nobody could put the cork back in the dam.

Don't lurk, but don't spam we like the merry mystic here.
Happy medium

Aramil Liadon
2007-08-30, 11:39 AM
No, Lego avvie + Astrix & Obelisk reference! (At least, it is to me)
Awesome!

Trog
2007-08-30, 12:48 PM
I think I just failed my spot check on various lurkers on this thread.

Supagoof
2007-08-30, 12:55 PM
It's okay Trog. They have a pill for that.

Um, Gump said "Lurker is as Lurker does." I'd have to say the most fun I've had was playing a game with lurker Archives Ninja. I get word through the grapevine (Llama, ahem..) he's watching a thread, and I'll wave hi to him.

Hi Archives Ninja!

He usually sends me a PM letting me know if I'm right. Perhaps other lurkers could join in this game as well.

Old_Man
2007-08-31, 11:12 AM
Posting, not to add any valuable content to the thread, only to increase the number of my posts.

EDIT: This makes a total of 34.

Simius
2007-08-31, 12:01 PM
When I joined these forums, for some reason I couldn't receive the activation email. Because of this I lurked for about a year without ever posting. Then came the day that I suddenly used to get loads of spam. I reasoned that perhaps finally my spam filter might have broken down and that I finally could receive the GitP email with my password. And it worked!

Not as if I post a lot now that I have a working forum account.

Mr. Moon
2007-09-02, 07:20 PM

Oy! Quit trying to enroach my terratory! I'm the fangirl, dagnit! >.<

But when it comes to eating, barbarians are no good, contrary to popular belief, they have alot of carbs. Carbarians you might say. I'm on an Atkins diet you see. (j/k)

Barbarians are killer on the waistline. Dwarves are, however, dellicious. Just the right amount of grizzle, with very yummy thighs. :smallamused:

Exeson
2007-09-03, 04:59 AM
Barbarians are killer on the waistline. Dwarves are, however, dellicious. Just the right amount of grizzle, with very yummy thighs. :smallamused:

This is slightly off topic but can I just say that that was the first post I have read on these boards that has made me shudder, visibly.

On a side note I lurked a lot then I found the friendly Banter section. Here you don't have to know anything about anything and still be regarded as a contributer. :smallbiggrin:

Space-Is-Curved
2007-09-03, 04:37 PM
I used to read so many threads without posting, but now I post a whole lot more. I am an ex-lurker. I now play games in the SMBG structured games center and the arena in the play-by-post area.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-03, 04:44 PM
I didn't go through a stage of lurking, I really just jumped straight into the fun and games here! We really aren't a bad sort, though many will pounce on bad grammar in a jovial rage that I find quite entertaining.

There's nothing wrong with lurking, but I don't think anyone should be put off posting due to the size of the community or the words of a few playgrounders who have left. People leave all the time, it's just that they chose to announce it, which is fine but I understand why it might have put some people off.

The boards are still the most comfortable and friendly forum I've ever joined, and the possibility of some genuine intelligent conversation here followed by completely silliness in the board games section is something I really find unique!

I completely agree.
I just jumped in, posted on the new members thread, and started playing SMBGs. :smallbiggrin:

T'ze'hai
2007-09-04, 04:50 AM
I just try some Friendly Banter.

I really want to get that darn "pixie" away....
So that means more posting. Now do I have anything usefull to add???

Anyway, lurking can be useful to get to know the place and the people. I try to remember names, and hope someday someone will remember mine...

Missing Shoe
2007-09-04, 10:31 AM
This thread makes me giggle. Lurkers posting about lurking. Yes I know its been said already.

That being said, go crazy lurkers. Nobody knows who are (maybe a few exceptions), this gives you a chance to be that crazy son of a goblin you really are. Enjoy it.

Katonta
2007-09-04, 12:15 PM
Looking to my left, I've got to say that I have quite a few other lurkers beat. Before I joined, I lurked around for about a year. Once I joined, I kept lurking, posting only in the gaming section, and than even rarely. That period lasted until about summer of last year, when I started to branch out and went to FB and SMBG and become more active. Then I found the Town and that is where I post most frequently now. In fact, I just joined my first SMBG not to long ago.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-04, 02:23 PM
I always wondered. A ghost in the playground is somebody with no posts, so if you make a new account, and post in silly message board games, then do you have ghost as your title?

Charity
2007-09-04, 06:33 PM
yup

it has spooked a few newbies.

sorry Lilly I couldn't resist..
Is that a siren..
Darn it, it's a fair cop *holds out wrists*

RAGE KING!
2007-09-04, 06:54 PM
yah i checked too....:smallfrown: