PDA

View Full Version : Fire shield question

Spacehamster
2018-03-02, 02:16 AM
Hello playground, afb atm and were wondering which classes gets access to fire shield, know it’s a wizard spell and that fiendlock gets it as patron spell and bards can take it as a magical secret, but were wondering if there is any other sources xcpt for eldritch Knight that can get it as subclass feature?

QuietEngineer25
2018-03-02, 03:29 AM
It looks like wizards at lvl 7, fiend warlocks at lvl 7, bards with magical secrets at lvl 10, Eldritch knight at lvl 19, and Arcane trickster at lvl 20. I couldn't find any others that get access.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-02, 03:31 AM
Quick check of my spellbook app.. It's just a Wizard spell.
So, outside of expanded spell lists or DM fiat..
Only Wizards and those with access to the 4th level Wizard spells can get Fire Shield.

Spacehamster
2018-03-02, 03:40 AM
It looks like wizards at lvl 7, fiend warlocks at lvl 7, bards with magical secrets at lvl 10, Eldritch knight at lvl 19, and Arcane trickster at lvl 20. I couldn't find any others that get access.

Dang were sure the fire(light) cleric would have access as that would be thematic as hell. :-/ no land Druid circle that has it either then. :-/

Spacehamster
2018-03-02, 04:30 AM
Reason I asked is since it’s non concentration and I got this picture in my head of a zealot barb wrought in flame, so now is the question: would a zealot barb, necromancer wizard function decently? Thinking 12 zealot 8 necromancer split, keep INT at 13.

MxKit
2018-03-02, 04:53 AM
Barbarian multiclassed with a spellcaster isn't usually optimal, but it can function perfectly well, especially since you're not going to be Raging constantly! A Necromancer Zealot who worships a god of death seems very flavorful and fitting, and would work just fine. (Though may I ask why you chose Necromancer specifically? Abjuration, Divination, Transmutation, and War Wizard would be decent to great choices for you as well!)

A Zealot 12/Fiendlock 8 with a 13 in Charisma would be just as good for you, potentially better if your DM is stingy with giving out magic weapons (take Pact of the Blade and get a guaranteed magic weapon!), and it gives you access to eldritch blast for a good ranged option and some really nice Invocations. (Armor of Shadows gives you mage armor at-will for free, Eldritch Smite gives you a use for your spell slots while Raging, Trickster's Escape gives you access to freedom of movement - not a bad spell for you to have - for free once per long rest, and Tomb of Levistus can be a decent panic-button reaction; that's not even counting the fluffier/more utility options, like Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces, or Misty Visions.) Dark One's Blessing and Dark One's Own Luck are also nice to have.

Spacehamster
2018-03-02, 05:14 AM
Barbarian multiclassed with a spellcaster isn't usually optimal, but it can function perfectly well, especially since you're not going to be Raging constantly! A Necromancer Zealot who worships a god of death seems very flavorful and fitting, and would work just fine. (Though may I ask why you chose Necromancer specifically? Abjuration, Divination, Transmutation, and War Wizard would be decent to great choices for you as well!)

A Zealot 12/Fiendlock 8 with a 13 in Charisma would be just as good for you, potentially better if your DM is stingy with giving out magic weapons (take Pact of the Blade and get a guaranteed magic weapon!), and it gives you access to eldritch blast for a good ranged option and some really nice Invocations. (Armor of Shadows gives you mage armor at-will for free, Eldritch Smite gives you a use for your spell slots while Raging, Trickster's Escape gives you access to freedom of movement - not a bad spell for you to have - for free once per long rest, and Tomb of Levistus can be a decent panic-button reaction; that's not even counting the fluffier/more utility options, like Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces, or Misty Visions.) Dark One's Blessing and Dark One's Own Luck are also nice to have.

If the char gets into being its in a high magic setting so magic weapon would be starting items, but chain fiendlock seems pretty cool for a better familiar to follow this insane raging zealot around. :)

Tho I still think the necromancer zealot worshipping a death god or a god of war seems way cooler tho and the wizard list is full of non combat utility so would not be wasted. :) And stronger skeleton servants seems cool to have. :)

Rysto
2018-03-02, 04:43 PM
Dang were sure the fire(light) cleric would have access as that would be thematic as hell

This has always annoyed me. Hell, I'd take it at level 9 over the nearly useless Flamestrike...

Platypusbill
2018-03-02, 06:50 PM
Mechanically, the Fiend Warlock would probably be a better fit for a Barbarian multiclass. The reason is that since you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, you're likely to use spells only when you see a good opportunity for it (e.g. huge cluster of weak enemies -> AoE blast them, temporarily quitting Rage if necessary) or as long-term non-concentration buffs. To that end, having two high-level slots that come back on a short rest is better than many more slots of varying levels that you won't be able to use anyway. Specifically, you're looking at two 4th level slots per short rest vs two 4th level, three 3rd level, three 2nd level, and four 1st level slots per long rest (plus an extra 4th level slot or 2-4 1st/2nd level slots from Arcane Recovery). With two short rests in an adventuring day, that would be six 4th level spells for a Warlock vs three for a Wizard, assuming they use Arcane Recovery to recover a 4th level slot.

The Warlock's Armour of Agathys is particularly good because it lasts an hour and it deals damage to melee attackers every time they hit you as long as you have the temporary HP from the spell. Said temp HP last longer because of the damage resistance from Rage, and it deals the full 20 cold damage (with a 4th-level slot) as long as you have even 1 temp HP left. You can start using it much earlier since it is a 1st level spell, and if you want to be thematically consistent, Fire Shield can also deal cold damage.

If you take Pact of the Blade, the Eldritch Smite invocation is another way to make use of your spell slots that works while raging.

Spacehamster
2018-03-05, 12:44 PM
Mechanically, the Fiend Warlock would probably be a better fit for a Barbarian multiclass. The reason is that since you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, you're likely to use spells only when you see a good opportunity for it (e.g. huge cluster of weak enemies -> AoE blast them, temporarily quitting Rage if necessary) or as long-term non-concentration buffs. To that end, having two high-level slots that come back on a short rest is better than many more slots of varying levels that you won't be able to use anyway. Specifically, you're looking at two 4th level slots per short rest vs two 4th level, three 3rd level, three 2nd level, and four 1st level slots per long rest (plus an extra 4th level slot or 2-4 1st/2nd level slots from Arcane Recovery). With two short rests in an adventuring day, that would be six 4th level spells for a Warlock vs three for a Wizard, assuming they use Arcane Recovery to recover a 4th level slot.

The Warlock's Armour of Agathys is particularly good because it lasts an hour and it deals damage to melee attackers every time they hit you as long as you have the temporary HP from the spell. Said temp HP last longer because of the damage resistance from Rage, and it deals the full 20 cold damage (with a 4th-level slot) as long as you have even 1 temp HP left. You can start using it much earlier since it is a 1st level spell, and if you want to be thematically consistent, Fire Shield can also deal cold damage.

If you take Pact of the Blade, the Eldritch Smite invocation is another way to make use of your spell slots that works while raging.

fiend lock zealot could have quite fun when it’s not their turn! Cloak of flies + armor of agathys + zealot rage aura, would be quite painful to be near that monster, question is what split would be best? 12 zealot 8 fiendlock or a 16 fiend 4 zealot perhaps?