PDA

View Full Version : Wealth Per Level...

Ekeralos
2007-08-29, 06:37 PM
What really bugs me is how players expect to recieve magical items and treasure. Magic is not absent in my game, but most mages do not craft (called enchanting in my world), magic items that they can't utilize. Magic items won't be absent, but they will be exceptionally rare. I might utilize defense bonuses to make up for the lack of magical armor, but mainly I want to establish asystem where stat increases are frecuent, with the end result, with high level adventurers with some magical items, but relying most on themselves. I might be forced to power down buffing spells and the like (at least bull's Str). I want to eliminate "warrior" classes (andall classes in general from relying so much on magic items. It also doesn't make sense when a magical item is in the horde of an intelligent creature and that creature doesn't utilize that item.
Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this predicament?

KillianHawkeye
2007-08-29, 07:11 PM
Well, I'm not too sure how you'd go about changing all that, but I'm pretty sure intelligent creatures are reasonably expected to make use of any treasure they have which is actually useful to them. Although it means you have to decide on their treasure before the fight and not roll it up randomly afterwards.

Ekeralos
2007-08-29, 08:14 PM
Yeah, true, but sometimes potions and other items would then just be consumed by players. I don't mind magic weapons, but I just want a way to make them part of the background. I also am not fond of the price for crafting magic items. Imean c'mon, where does all that gold go?

Falrin
2007-08-29, 10:28 PM
I tend to do the 'non-magic-world-type' a lot.

1) +x Armour & Weapons. These are not magical anymore, but finely crafted by master smiths. Note: Anti-magic fields don't screw your fighter over anymore.

2) Alchemy. Alchemy (if appropriate in your world) can replace a lot of Magic. A mystical Herb Potion healing 1d8+1 hp or restoring 1d4 Ability Damage?

3) The 'artifacts'. A great paladin wielded a longsword once. He died defending lots of innocents, ill and very cute orphans. His soul lives on in his Sword ( +1 Holy?)

Flying and other mobility stuff will get you some more problems. And that's already the fighters weak spot. Keep this in minds when selecting enemies. Not to much flying or teleporting ones, just keep it to the more 'normal' enemies with clever tactics & classes instead.

Ekeralos
2007-08-29, 10:47 PM
Didn't you have a post linking to this somewhere, I like the idea...I'm thinking of limiting casters to use two stats (CHA and INT) or (WIS and INT). If you could post me a link I'd be forever grateful...:smallbiggrin:

WhammeWhamme
2007-08-29, 11:11 PM
All the benefits of the Vow of Poverty for free for everyone should cover it.

That's what they're supposed to have - that, or better.

Ashtar
2007-08-30, 04:42 AM
You want them to have gauntlets of ogre power (i.e. +2 str) but not the item? Well, at the end of the dungeon, they discover a mystical spring (identified by spellcraft) which can enhance one person's strength when the hands are immersed in it (of course it only works once). It counts as en enhancement bonus (not an inherent, so that wishes can still boost him normally). And you can mark the “gp value” of gauntlets of ogre power that to the character’s total.

Being drenched in the blood of Cinder, the ancient red dragon could improve constitution, etc…

Or simply distribute many librams of characteristic improvements.

Matthew
2007-08-30, 05:05 PM
Well, given that Attribute increases from magic are fairly easily obtained (and they are), you're looking at quite a lot of increases.

My suggestion, in addition to +1 to any stat every four levels, increase all stats by 1 as well. That way all stats go up by five points over the course of twenty levels and a Character has five floating points.