PDA

View Full Version : Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Rettu Skcollob
2007-08-30, 12:18 AM
Well, here's the IC thread. First thing tomorrow, I'll make the first post. Or maybe later today. Whichever time allows.

Alright. Well, I'm making the first post now. You and your party have all banded together, and met up at the human city of Dappled Fields. The Elf has just met up with you, and has just recently told you why you were summoned, and told you that the King of the Elves wishes an audience with you.

You are standing outside the city, which is surrounded by a wooden paliside with a few bored looking sentries atop platforms. The gates stand open before you, and the hustle and bustle of a city can be clearly seen, heard, and unfortunately, as you are at the gate that opens into the poor center, smelt. The Poor center is a square center surrounded by shoddily constructed and unplanned-looking wooden houses. A fountain stands in the centre, but it is not flowing and filled with grime, probably through many years of the more hygeine conscious peasants bathing. In front of the fountain is what looks like a badly constructed wooden stall. There is some writing on the top, but it is too hard to read from this distance. Next to you, you see another group of what obviously are adventurers. One is a male human, dressed in the garb of a monk, one is a female Elf, wearing an extremely revealing robe, there is another female Elf, but this one is in the heavy armour and robe of a Cleric, and one is an extremely feminine looking Halfling. All of them are bristling with weapons in the manner that adventurers usually are and as is typical among adventurers, carrying it off rather strikingly.

((Your move. You can interact with the other party of adventurers, investigate the strange stall, just talk, or ignore the city, and head straight on out to the Elven city of T'nik, with appropriate directions from the Elf of course.))

Grrth
2007-08-31, 09:51 AM
((DM Question: Do I know where I'm going, or do I need to ask for directions?))

Kit

The previous day ...

The elf in heavy armor tromped up to the gate, weary to his bones. While normally elves are graceful in all they do, this one seems to be having a harder time than most. He is young, even younger than elves normally look, and his thick, black hair is plastered to his skull, his helmet banging against his thigh with every step. The symbol for the moon is carved upon his shield, and dangles again from a cord around his neck. He stares up at the city gates, with wonder in his eyes, and a smile creeping over his face.

He is here! Dappled Fields! Here he will be meeting the others of the summons. Excitement lifts his step and he almost bounces as he passes beneath the gate. As he does so, he suddenly feels small. This huge city is a city of giants! Everywhere he looks, buildings and people are much larger than he's used to, and for an elf he's tall! His mouth drops open in amazement and he spins around in a small circle to stare in wonder.

"'Ey there! Wotcher doing!" shouts a man from his cart.

The elf jumps back to avoid the horse's hooves, as startled by the crowds as the size of the city itself. There are humans, of course, this is their city, but he's never seen so many in one place before. And gnomes, he knows what gnomes are, there are even some at home, in Elven lands. The other, smaller creatures he doesn't understand at first, they look like elven children, with their jewel-like eyes and pointed ears, but then he know: they're halflings! Mayhap cousins of the taller elves, he runs up to the first one he sees.

"Greetings, cousin!" he says, grinning broadly. His name runs off his tongue like music: "I'm Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari, greetings!"

The halfling sniffs, "Damn foreigners!" and turns abruptly away.

The brief disappointment of that encounter is pushed aside just as surely and inexorably as the crowd presses upon the elf, carrying him down market streets, past shops and inns and alehouses, food stalls and stables, and places of worship. There's so many! Every god in the pantheon must have a church on this street! There's even a small shrine to Corellon Larethian and he manages to worm his way through the crowd and say a few prayers of thanks.

"Pray, Lord," he beseeches, "give me a sign that I might recognize they I have been set forth to seek."

He sets off once more and before long is hopeless and totally lost. All the buildings look the same, one after the other, until he suddenly realizes he's turned a corner and there are no more crowds. Here only the grim visages of once-great houses remain, their inhabitants as shabby and unkempt as the buildings, their faces and clothes streaked with grime and dust, stinking of the desperation caused by the day-to-day scrapings of a society that no longer cares. The elf realizes he's being stared at by non-friendly eyes, he clutches his holy symbol and hastily backtracks. His armor and weapons may have made him a tougher target than normal and so far repelled any attackers, but he was in no hurry to go deeper in that warren.

He turns around hastily and almost runs over a street urchin. His little face is almost indistinguishable beneath the dirt and grime and his clothes are almost the same color as his skin. He is bare of feet and staring up at the elf with the largest, most pitiful eyes he's ever seen.

"Pardin me, gov'ner," pipes the boy, holding out his hand, "Have you a mite to spare?"

The elf stares at him in some confusion for a moment. He doesn't want to shake that hand, and it doesn't really look like that's what's being offered, so what does the child want?

"Um, yes?"

The boy grins expectantly. That smile fades as the elf keeps staring. Impatience wars with amusement until the boy can no longer hold it in.

The elf rocks back on his heels as the child laughs at him, full, body-shaking laughter that is so big it doesn't seem possible to have come from this small child.

"Are ye lost?" asks the boy, noting with interest the shiny new gear, newly christened with travel stains.

The elf nods in relief. "Yes. Can you help me? I'm looking for someone."

"Who?"

He recits from memory: "Cristobal Hawk, Tamly Loarmack, Erunak Keftian, and Skjaldbakka."

"Skjaldbakka!" exclaims the boy. "I know who he is!"

"You do?"

"Sure! His father owns the alchemy shop on Temple Street."

"Will you take me there?"

"It'll cost you."

"Cost?" The elf stares at him quizzically for a minute, and then his face lights up. "Oh! You want me to pay you!" He fumbles in his pouch and pulls out a silver coin. "Here."

The boy shakes his head quickly, looking around, and presses the coin back in the elf's hand. "What, you mad or somethin'?" he demands. "You canna be flashin' that stuff 'round here! And who's gonna believe I earn that fair and square?" He looks up at the elf's puzzled face and sighs. Just his luck to get an idiot to scam and he couldn't scam them! "Jus' give me a copper."

"Oh. Very well." The elf hands him a different coin, watching with interest as it magically seems to vanish. "My name is Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari. What's yours?"

"Eh?" says the boy. "What was that?"

The elf sighs. "Just call me Kit."

The boy brightens. "I'm Jack. Come on, Temple Street is this way."

With Jack at his side, Kit is soon standing in front of a large alchemy store, nestled right between two temples. He must have passed it before, but he doesn't remember seeing it. "Thank you!" he tells the boy, but Jack is already gone. Kit walks inside. The interior of the shop is as proportionate to humans as the rest of the city and again Kit feels very much like a child again, with everything so large and out of his reach. He goes to the counter, to speak to the gnome sitting upon a stool and peering at small gems beneath some kind of a device fastened to his eyes.

"Excuse me," he says, "but do you know where I might find Skjaldbakka?"

"Found him," grunts the gnome.

"Oh! Oh," Kit repeats himself, fumbling with his bags. "Then this is for you." He sets a roll of parchment, sealed with wax and the imprint of the Royal Elven house.

The gnome sets down his gems and lifts his eyepiece to stare at the letter, and then to look over the elf who was still staring back at him curiously. He did not appear to be the usual sort of messenger.

"If you're coming," says the elf, "I'll meet you by the city gates tomorrow morning."

When the gnome continues to look at him, Kit backs up uncertainly and takes his leave. Still trying to figure out what he did wrong, he's taken completely by surprise when four little street urchins surround him as soon as he steps outside onto the street. Jack is there, however, and manages to contain the crowd.

"We know where your other friends are!" says Jack proudly.

Kit is dazed by this sudden turn of events. He hands three more copper pieces to Jack, one for each of his remaining letters. "Take me."

With Jack's help, soon all of the letters are delivered. One to the Wizard Guild for a human named Cristobal, one to a small inn, to the halfling bard there named Tamly (Kit almost doesn't want to leave, he wants to stay and listen to the music), and two are found towards the entrance of the city, at the job boards and the shops and stalls nearby.

Mission complete, Jack takes him back to Temple Street, back to the shrine of Correlon so that Kit doesn't get further lost in the sudden dark of evening. He thanks the child profusely and hands him another copper before going inside and giving his thanks to his deity. The lone caretaker of the shrine takes pity on the elf and lets him sleep there on the floor, and when morning comes, Kit's the first one to the city gates, standing by the noxious fountain and wondering if he has time to go on one of those "Site Seeing Toors" being advertised nearby.

Today:

Kit looks over at the most conspicuous and ill-assorted group as he's ever seen. And yet, two are elves and curiosity is practically flowing out his ears. Should he go talk to them? They're adventurers, right? Real adventurers! They probably have lots of great stories to tell! And one's a cleric, too!

He starts in that direction several times, but then, just as quickly retreats, looking up at the sky as the sun starts to rise and inch slowly over the horizon. He needed to wait and see if any of the invites would be accepted. Of course, he wasn't sure if he knew how to make it back to T'nik from here and he so needed an excuse to go talk to those two, beautiful female elves over there! What to do, what to do?

Glawackus
2007-08-31, 02:44 PM
((Here goes nothing, I guess.))

Erunak

Yesterday

Erunak cracked a knuckle absent-mindedly, looking up at the gates of Dappled Fields, and sighed. He rested his hand for a moment on the end of his mace, running his hand over the grip, shrugged, and moved into the city.

He looked around, spotting "Turkey" Hasch and his outfit. They were good mercenaries, he thought, even if Turkey was known for having light fingers when it came to visiting the employer's command post. He was taken aback for a moment to see Yeirt with them, and then got ahold of himself and nodded. Yeirt, he thought...Cuthbert's cudgel, he thought, haven't seen him since the war. He looks old...and he was the youngest of us, too.

He moved past them, and turned down Brass Street towards the inn. He picked his way over two intoxicated dwarves in the doorway, horizontal and still trying to roar their way through another of their drinking songs. The innkeeper glanced over at him as he entered.
"Rooms?"
"Take number four upstairs if you want it," the man commented, more concentrated on the glass he was attempting to dry with his dirty apron. "It'll be two pieces a night."
"I won't be staying long," Erunak replied, the floor creaking under his boots.

The night passed without event, and Erunak arose in the morning, pulling his armor back on as he did every day. He walked back out through the inn's front room, almost tripping over one of the drunkards sprawled on the floor. He made his way over to Temple Street, and stopped in at Cuthbert's temple there. He said a brief prayer, and left as the priest arose to greet him.

Erunak decided to go see what the job boards were like--he'd received the summons, of course, but he liked to know what else was going on. Not very interesting, except for some unlucky noble who had some kind of creature running amok in his manor.
A hand tugged at his cape. One hand going towards his mace without even thinking, he turned.
A street urchin whose smell stood out even above the...aromas...of the city held out a letter. "For you, Mister," he said, "from that weird elf."
Erunak glanced up in time to see a vaguely elven form in armor moving away through the crowd. He looked back down at the boy, who was still watchign the elf.
"He looked at me like I was some kinda boot-shiner when I asked him for a mite," the boy commented.
"Thanks," Erunak muttered, snapping open the seal and reading through the contents. He sighed, knowing that the gate the elf was talking about was on the other side of the market, which would be full of people by now. "Can't ever meet somewhere convenient," he grumbled under his breath, jamming the letter into a pocket.

Today:

Erunak picks his way through the crowd, gently but firmly pushing aside a merchant jibbering in some language about the chicken in his hands and spots two elves, one of which appears to be the armored one who sent the note, and one of which appears to be...well, barely clothed, for one thing.

He starts moving towards them, ignoring the tall elf who seems to be waiting for someone else and looking around at the scenery. Freaking tourists, he thinks.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-08-31, 10:40 PM
((Insert nifty idea noise here))

((Well, if you have any questions, please colour them red, so I can see them easily))

((Also, great! I see I chose well with my players so far. You seem to be extremely good at thinking up a storyline. Also, if you are going down a street or something else that you don't know the name too, then don't worry. Make up a name, and unless it's written into the plot then I'll accept it. Also, the Poor centre has an exit to the north that leads to the government centre [Government Building and Upper Class Housing], an exit to the west that leads to the residential centre [Middle Class Housing], and an exit to the west that leads to the merchant centre [Merchants, and the only good Inn in Town, The Flying Horse]. There are a few merchant shops selling essentials to the poor-folk that would be useless to you in the poor centre and also one Inn for poor travellers that Erunak [Glawackus] came out of. Also, if you don't mention your name within a post, put [Character Name] in whatever colour you use to make your speech stand out at the top. Kit's blue, and Erunak is Olive (I think). First one to shotgun their colours gets to use them.))

Calamity
2007-09-01, 08:22 AM
Tamly

Yesterday
Tamly stood before the gates which towered over him. "Humans build everything so tall, even when they walk under gates like this they look small" Mumbling mainly because he was reminding himself of the first time he came to Dapple Fields, it was the first human town he'd ever been to, and he was overwhelmed by the size of it all. He was used to the size now he had travelled around human lands. Thankfully, he knew his way around this time, and didn't spend 5 hours trying to find the Inn.

"Say, you look familiar, yet you're not a regular here, where do I know you from?" The Innkeeper said as he watched Tamly enter.
"You have a good memory, I was in here 5 years ago"
"That long? I can't imagine why I would remember you from 5 years ago."
"Would it have something to do with a certain artifact?" Tamly whispered. A cold face appeared on the innkeeper.
"Glad to see you've gone to whispering that rather than shouting it out loud and scaring away the customers, Tamly."
"Listen, I'm sorry but I'm not not here to talk, I have to leave in the morning, how much are rooms again?"
"Never mind about the money, I don't have a bard tonight as he's ill, the customers are complaining about the lack of atmosphere.
"So you want me to play?"
"Yes, if you will, then you can stay the night."

So Tamly got his mandolin ready and performed for the rest of the customers in order to earn his room for the night. During his performance he thought he spotted a human fighter, Tamly wanted to go over to him but he was still only near the beginning of his performance. As the performance was drawing to a close, an elf in scale mail entered the inn, carrying a letter. The elf seemed to be in a hurry at first, and gave the innkeeper the letter. The elf then turned back to the door, but started walking slowly towards it, watching the stage. When Tamly finished his tune, the elf was gone.

"Letter for you, Tamly." The innkeeper walked over to Tamly, handing him the letter.
"From the elf?"
"Yeah, by the sounds of things, it's important."
"Hmm, must've been Kit."
"You know him?"
"Uhh, not exactly. Oh, by the way, did you see where that human fighter went?"
"He went upstairs, I wouldn't recommend disturbing him though, he's probably asleep"
"Never mind, did you get his name?"
"No, sorry, he didn't say much. Not everyone's as talkative as you, you know."
Tamly snickered a little. "Okay, well, which room am I in?"
"Room 2, here are the keys."

Tamly headed up to his room. Sat on the bed, he opened the letter, which told him to meet up at the city gates tommorrow morning.

Today

Tamly heads back towards the gate, slightly lost due to the crowd. Dodging human feet, he manages to get to the gate. He sees two groups at the gate, one consists of the human and the elf Tamly saw at the Inn. Knowing who gave the innkeeper the letter made it easier for Tamly to decide which group to head towards, however he almost started walking towards the other group when he spotted the female halfling there. Regaining control of himself, he greeted Kit and the fighter with a jolly smile.
"Greetings, Kit, and you must be Erunak. I'm Tamly."

Glawackus
2007-09-01, 08:35 AM
((Darn elves, you all look alike to me! :smalltongue: ))

Erunak

Erunak hears his name and looks over his shoulder. A halfling with a mandolin slung over his shoulder is looking at him expectantly, and he realizes that he's got the wrong party.

"Oh. Right."

He moves away from the other group and looks around. Might as well make some kind of introduction.

"Erunak Keftian. Just another grunt."

rovinpiper
2007-09-01, 09:08 AM
Cristobal feels a momentary surge of superiority as Eruniak describes himself as "...just another grunt." This fades quickly to be replaced by a feeling of shaky numbness that has pervaded his existence for the past two weeks. Since being cast out of his father's house he has felt a sort of vulnerability he never imagined before.

Thinking through the situation logically he should strike up a conversation with these people. He needs friends to protect him in the absence of his wealth and position. The trouble is, he isn't any good at these situations. He's always kept contact with creatures that he hasn't summoned to a minimum. It's a way of life that he now regrets. Paralyzed by social awkwardness, Cristobal nervously fidgets with his equipment and says nothing.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-01, 09:48 AM
((Well, we're just waiting for Skjald, then you can discuss what to do. Also, if you have room, it might be a good idea to put the following in a spoiler box in your signature: HP, AC [Normal, Touch and Flat], Init Mod, Attributes, your Saves and Spot/Listen mod's. Also, [For Casters] if you haven't already, then a post in the OOC thread with your Spells memorized/remaining Spells per day on it would be good. Of course, if these are already on your char' sheet or similar thing, then that's fine. ))

((Sorry to be a bore, but it saves a lot of time. :smallsmile: ))

(Also, great! almost everyone has made their first post, and everyone has obviously spent time on them to show their characters personalities as soon as possible.))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-01, 10:21 AM
((Hmm. I have heard tell on the grapevine, that players like to be rewarded for going beyond the call of duty. Thus; I have decided to reward people. Create an extremely good backstory, or a nifty new object, class, item or some other thing that I can use in the game and thus;

-And inspiration struck the Player, and verily, for days and nights he laboured, and he brought his creation to the DM, and the DM said unto the Player; Thou hast done work in my name well, now take your reward, and use it wisely.
And the DM granted upon the Player many experience points, and the Player did grin, and the people did laugh, and feast upon the fruits, and trees, and breakfast cereals, and orangutans, and vargouilles, and-

-Extract from; the holy biblee [bib-leey] Experience, verse 14, lines 3-8

You get the picture. Now, the reward can only be claimed once per level, and will vary according to submission quality. I like this, because it means that the DM can use new material to improve their game, and PC's get delicious experience points.))

Grrth
2007-09-01, 10:23 AM
"Greetings, Kit, and you must be Erunak. I'm Tamly."

Kit bowed as much as possible (which wasn't much) in his bulky armor.

"Well, actually," he started to say, but then stopped. "Uh, yes, I'm Kit, it's a pleasure to meet you, Master Tamly. And you, Master Keftian. I am pleased to see you have accepted the High King's invitation."

He stepped a short distance away, recognizing the other human male. He was decidedly pleased to actually be taller than someone (and a someone who was more than three feet tall!) "I give you greetings, Master Hawk."

Looking over the group, Kit nodded slightly. This was turning out better than he'd expected! Almost all the invites had been accepted. He was a little disappointed, because now he surely had no time for a tour, but on the plus side, that female elven cleric had glanced his way a couple times!

"We shall wait a short while longer," said Kit to the others, "and then we must be on our way. Time is of the essence." Or at least, that's what they kept telling me!

There was one more that might be coming, that gnome from Temple Street. Kit glanced sideways at the halfling. A real halfling! Coming with them, and a bard, too! This was going to be so exciting!

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-01, 10:29 AM
((Ah, you posted just as I was editing the above post Grrth. Well, make sure to read it, as I think I only got it in a second ago. Also, still waiting for Skjald.:smallannoyed: ))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-01, 08:47 PM
{{Sorry guys, I had family stuff come up. I'll have something up here in a few. I'm putting it up in pieces at the moment.}}

Skjaldbakka (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=60260)

HP: 9/9
AC: [N:13 T:11 F:13]
Init: +0
S:10 D:10 C:17 I:18 W:8 CH:10
Fort:+3 Refl:+2 Will:-1
Spot:-1 Listen:+5

Character Image:

http://nwn.bioware.com/premium/images/module_witchwake_article_subrace_gnome_150x234.jpg

Yesterday:

A gnome is sitting at his favorite bar, drinking his favorite brandy, ruminating on his latest take. His reverie is disturbed as his keen ears pick up his name being uttered by someone on the streets. He slips a gold piece onto the bar, and slips out without a sound. He sees a well-armed elf speaking with one of the orphans from the league. Skjaldbakka catches his eye, and the urchin nods ever-so sublty. I am glad I'm paid up with the Orphan League, he'll show him the long way around, and give me time to get home first.

The Gnome waits for the elf and Kit to be out of sight, and then takes the short way home. "Quick dad, I need your help! I need you to pretend to be me for a moment, while I hide next to the door. There's a heavily armed elf has been looking for me, and I don't know why. Kit's taking him the long way 'round, so we have a few minutes to prepare."

Skjald lurked in the shadows as the elf walked in, handed the letter to his father, and then walked out.

"OK, what's in the letter?" He says as he slips out of the shadows once more. He lets out a low whistle when he sees the seal of the Royal Elven House on the letter. "Well I guess I have to go, don't I? Otherwise I'll always wonder what this is about."

"Don't worry, I'll keep safe."

Today:

A gnome walks up to the group gathered by the gate, and nods at the people gathered there. "This is an interesting situation, isn't it? Bunch of adventurers, a halfling, and a gnome standing around here, wondering who all these strange people are, and what they are going to be doing a week from now. Introductions, maybe? You can call me Skjald."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-02, 12:07 AM
((Ah good, everone's here. Now, you should all decide on a course of action. Also, you've run out of time to decide whether or not you interact with the other group, thus;))

After Skjald' makes his introductions, you see a well dressed courtier with the symbol of the Royal house of King Evane [Human King], come and and talk briefly with the adjacent group, before leading them away. As they leave, Kit is sure that he sees the Elf Mage woman turn and wink at him.

Grrth
2007-09-02, 09:19 AM
Kit:

Did she just ... wink at me?

Kit stared after for a moment, dry of mouth and blushing. He had to shake off the urge to run over there right away and introduce himself. Oh, oh, and the cleric was leaving, too, they were all leaving! Oh, bother!

Half-embarrassed, half-irritated, Kit turned back to the gnome who'd just introduced himself. He frowned.

"You are not the gnome I delivered my letter to." His hand went to his sword hilt. "Explain!"

He scowled at the gnome. He'd missed his opportunity to talk to those females, and now this gnome wanted to play games! Did they really have time for this?

"Hey!" he interrupted before the gnome could speak, curiosity overcoming suspicion, "How did you know I was looking for Skaldbakka, anyway?"

Calamity
2007-09-02, 10:01 AM
Tamly

Tamly looks disenheartened at the other group leaving, but seeing the human king (at least, that's who he assumed the regal-looking man was) brought a little excitement.

Tamly then turns his attention to Kit and Skjald. Taken aback at Kit's sudden hostility, Tamly looks puzzled.

What is going on here?

rovinpiper
2007-09-02, 11:40 AM
Nine Hells! They're going to fight! What do I do?! What do I do?!

Cristobal was not expecting this and hasn't been in this sort of situation before. He takes a few steps to put Eruniak between himself and the impending showdown.

Think fast! You could "grease" them both to stop the fight. That would make them both angry. No good.

You could stay out of it. That might be the safest. No. Most cautious, not safest. Starvation is just as deadly as that sword Kit carries. You need a job.

Help Kit. He's the one offering a job. If he dies who knows when another job offer will come along.

Cristobal's Actions Cristobal's actions:

Ready Summon Monster I to be cast as soon as Tamly or Kit attack one another.

Direct the summoned creature to attack Tamly.

Stats
Cristobal's Stats:

HP:5/5
AC:11 Touch: 11 Flat-Footed: 10
Initiative Mod.: +1
Saves: Ref: +1 Fort: +1 Will: 0
Spot/Listen: -2

Spells: 0th lvl. Save DC: For Conjuration: 13 (10+2 int+1 specialization)
For other schools: 12 (10+2 int)

Acid Splash
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Light
Mage Hand

Spells: 1st lvl. Save DC: For Conjuration: 14 (10+1 level+2 int+1 spec.)
For other schools: 13 (10+1 level+2 int)

Mage Armor
Grease
Summon Monster I

Glawackus
2007-09-02, 03:46 PM
Erunak

Did she just wink at the elf?

Erunak gapes for a moment and then realizes something's going on. "Wait--"
He notices the conjurer moving out of view and muttering under his breath. Cursed magic users, he thinks, always on a hair-trigger.

Erunak's actions
Wait and see what the conjurer does. If he attacks anyone, take him down and figure out just what is going on.

Calamity
2007-09-02, 03:53 PM
Tamly

Oh no, everyone seems to have got very tense. What to do?

Tamly's actions
Step away from Kit and Skajd. Be ready to support the party should anyone attack.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-02, 07:29 PM
((Now now, we can't have everyone killing each other all of a sudden.))

A small crowd has gathered by now, always eager to see some free entertainment. As Tamly steps away, you hear a cry.

Hey! Er... Stop in the name of the law?

A nervous looking young human man, dressed in shiny looking mail with the symbol of a sword across a shield, steps out of the crowd. Following him, a dwarf wearing much older, rustier looking mail with an identical symbol also steps out. The Dwarf rolls his eyes at the boy.

Oh, very commanding boy.

He speaks in a sarcastic imitation of the boy.

Oh, please stop in the name of the law!

Sighing, the Dwarf turns to the group.

Now now, if you want to duel, take it outside the city limits. we'll have no fighting in the poor centre, or I'll have to shoot you in the face.

The Dwarf says this easily, as if this is an everyday occurence for him.

Glawackus
2007-09-02, 07:41 PM
((Oh, you guys...))

Erunak

"Thank you, sir," Erunak says, nodding to the dwarf officer and giving a little smile to the greenhorn watchman.

He looks around at the party members. "Alright, lads. The artifact is the mission, here, not to blow each other to kingdom come. What's going on here?"

Grrth
2007-09-02, 08:18 PM
Kit:

"Going on?" Kit echoed, turning around. "Ooh, a dwarf! Hi!" He recoiled from the bearded fellow's glare. "Um ... greetings, officer?"

If elves could blush, this one did as one of his new companions leaned over to whisper in his ear. "Um, we're not, um, dueling, officer!" He lifted both hands in the air, feeling a little foolish, but not wanting to get in trouble. "See? No weapons?"

Oh, could this really have gotten off to a worse start? Kit groaned. And scowled at the gnome, who had the temerity to laugh. Suddenly, something clicked.

"You played some kind of joke on me, didn't you?" he asked the gnome. Now that he'd had a chance to look, he noted the familial resemblence. As this gnome appeared to be younger than the other, what, was the other one, father, uncle, cousin maybe?

"If you're, erm, Skald, then who was the guy I gave the letter to?" He tried not to appear as worried as he felt. He'd never been entrusted with anything this important before, if he'd messed it up ...!

((Okay, this just got really out of hand, such was not my intention, Kit was only trying to look tough. I apologize, I'll try to be more clear in the future.))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-02, 10:26 PM
((Oh, no worries, just like real life, PC's don't always say the right thing.))

The Dwarf sighed, and the human looked more relaxed.

Hmph. Alright.

He gestured towards the conjurer.

You might want to keep a leash on your Mage there. Last I heard, wizards know how to fight with more than just weapons. We've got enough troubles already with the sewers and the goblins and all without people killing each other on the streets.

The novice watchman furrowed his brows and looked at the Dwarf.

I still don't know why they don't just post one of us there.

You don't know how things work here yet boy. We'll just wait for someone to answer the notice pinned up on the watchhouse.

With that, the two leave, and walk into a building with a tarnished bronze plaque that says; 'watch'.

rovinpiper
2007-09-03, 02:54 AM
What? I haven't done anything, Sir!

Cristobal says to the dwarf as he does his best to feign innocence.
(Bluff -2)

Anyway, if we are all friends again, we had better get this job started. I believe you will be leading the way Master Kit.

Cristobal's Stats:

HP:5/5
AC:11 Touch: 11 Flat-Footed: 10
Initiative Mod.: +1
Saves: Ref: +1 Fort: +1 Will: 0
Spot/Listen: -2

Spells: 0th lvl. Save DC: For Conjuration: 13 (10+2 int+1 specialization)
For other schools: 12 (10+2 int)

Acid Splash
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Light
Mage Hand

Spells: 1st lvl. Save DC: For Conjuration: 14 (10+1 level+2 int+1 spec.)
For other schools: 13 (10+1 level+2 int)

Mage Armor
Grease
Summon Monster I

Glawackus
2007-09-04, 11:43 AM
Erunak

"Indeed. Lead on, friend."

Cuthbert preserve us all.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-04, 03:37 PM
"No harm intended. You did come wandering about looking for me, clad so in that neighborhood. I took what precautions I thought necessary. The gentleman you handed the letter to was my father, so no harm done."

The gnome pauses for a moment, and then continues in a more cheerful tone.

"Rest assured that if you had meant to do more than deliver a letter to my home, I would still be safe. They say that us gnome's out lucky, but I prefer to make my own luck with proper preperations and plans. Just the kind of luck you tall folk will be needing on this adventure."

He turns and winks at the halfling.

"Isn't that right cousin?"

Grrth
2007-09-04, 05:56 PM
((I'm assuming I know where I'm going, then...))

Kit:

Kit watched the two officers leave, and then shook his head. He felt torn and rather guilty for not immediately offering to help them with their problem, but he was, after all, on a mission. There was no time for what were probably just big rats ...

Kit shook hands with the gnome. "Well, erm, Skald, then I give you greetings." He turned and bowed slightly to the whole group. "My name is Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari, but you may call me Kit. I am a cleric of Lord Corellon Larethian, and I shall be your guide to the elven city of T'nik."

His eyes flicked over each one in turn. The gnome did not appear to be a wizard, although his family was evidently in the business. Still, Skald's trickery might just come in handy; he was obviously an intelligent fellow, now that Kit thought about it, he realized that he probably could have been a lot less threatening in his approach. In fact, Kit was rather surprised he hadn't had more trouble.

Then there was the obvious wizard, Master Hawk. As the dwarf had cautioned, this one would warrant a close eye. Master Keftian seemed to be a straight-forward fellow, probably a good one to have around in a fight, and then of course there was Master Tamly, the halfling bard. He certainly seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.

Yes, they would do nicely. The only one Kit still had reservations about was himself. He was the only one who didn't seem to have any prior experiences to recommend him for this mission. But, with these folks now at hand, he didn't feel quite so much like a glorified messenger boy anymore.

Kit adjusted his pack upon his back. "Well, shall we get going, then? I can explain what else I know as we go, though I warn you it's not much."

He didn't wait, but headed out of the city, trusting that the others would follow.

Glawackus
2007-09-04, 06:01 PM
((I follow. Do I really need to say anything else? :smalltongue: ))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-04, 07:28 PM
((Alright, I'm going to take that as the will of the party to head off to the Elven city. It's going to take one and a half days walk, so during that time feel free to roleplay what you're doing, perhaps have a little chat between PC's, that sort of thing.))

After leaving the gates of the city behind, you progress quickly along the road. The scenery becomes more natural, with less de-forestation and agriculture as you get closer to the Elven City. A few travellers coming from the Elven city pass you, but they seem in rather a hurry and don't stop to speak with you.

((Well, nothing has happened on your journey... so far...))

rovinpiper
2007-09-04, 08:33 PM
Cristobal mumbles his consent to Kit's plan to head toward T'nik, and shuffles into line behind Kit. He spends most of the journey lost in thought, staring at the ground in front of his feet. He finds himself in an endless loop of contemplation with three main points:

1. His situation is bad.
2. He needs to reinvent himself in order to survive.
3. His current course of action is his best option.

After he has convinced himself of these facts for the fifth time or so, he begins to wonder why he can't get his mind off of these things.

When we get to T'nik things will be different. Then I will have some more details to concentrate on. I can start to think about constructive things then.

Glawackus
2007-09-04, 08:39 PM
Erunak

Erunak, no stranger to long marches, doesn't quite mind the journey. A thought suddenly occurs to him. "...Kit. How'd the higher-ups end up tapping you for this job anyhow?"

Grrth
2007-09-05, 12:10 AM
((what do we want our default marching order to be? I don't mind putting Kit in front since he has the highest AC, although I personally find that a bit odd :smalltongue: ))

Kit:

Glancing sideways at Erunak, Kit replies, "I honestly don't know, Master Keftian. Everyone I know finds my selection ... quite peculiar." He glanced backwards at Cristobal. "That is one of the things I wish to ask the King, should I have the nerve."

Kit bounces a little in his step. "I do hope we shall meet with the king personally! I've never met him, seen him of course, but never close up, this is a great honor."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-05, 12:39 AM
((Well, I usually let my players take care of marching order, and if they haven't by the time an encounter occurs, then I arrange the order as I see fit.))

plugsy
2007-09-05, 08:40 AM
ooc: messed that up well and truly. I just deletd the original content, so if you already read it It might be worded different: doing it now.

Striding dwon the track towards the grup comes a stranger standing over six feet tall with close cropped blond hair and the most piercing blue eyes you ever saw.

Whe he gets within hailing range he shouts Hello there, you seem to be the party I was looking for

He keeps walking until coming to a stop beside the group, he then drops his voice and keeps talking.
I was told to fnd a party. A motley collection of races but lacking the benefit of a dwarf. You seem to fit the description and I seem to be your missing dwarf.

He stops briefly looking around and with a sweeping gesture continues
Rissit, Cleric of Pelor at your service. Rather, and more approriately perhaps, at the service of the king and the artifact

Grrth
2007-09-05, 10:59 AM
Kit:

Kit pauses, staring suspiciously at this tall stranger, and crossing his arms over his chest to keep from reaching for his sword.

"You're looking for us?" he asks. His mind jumps to what he feels is the most pertinent bit of information. "Whose service did you say you are in?"

plugsy
2007-09-05, 11:38 AM
Rissit:

"I didn't say whose service I was in. I offered you my service to your group. Then, by way of indicating my knowledge of your ...uhhhh ..intentions shall we say, I indicated it may be more approriate to offer my sevice to the king and the artifact. Which would be correct if I were to join your group, No?"

"I represent...ummmm....other interested parties. Parties who have knowledge of your intended quest. Parties who have recived communication from the king.I shall be the, umm, dwarf in your party"

Grrth
2007-09-05, 11:53 AM
Kit:

The surprised elf looks the man (?) up and down, feeling a smile tugging at his lips. He gives in and laughs, wiping tears from his eyes.

"A dwarf? You?" He glances back at Skald. "This must be another joke!"

He extends his hand to the 'dwarf' and says, "Greetings, I am ... Call me Kit! You have spoken truly, we are on a mission of some import." Belatedly, he recalls the one letter he'd been unable to deliver in the city. "What did you say your name was?"

plugsy
2007-09-05, 12:12 PM
Rissit:

"I said my name is Rissit. I have been sent from the Dwarrowdelf mines of king Gemcutter the third. The attitude amongst dwarves to your quest is somewhat, shall we say, different than most other races. Hence not only my presence but also my late arrival"

Glawackus
2007-09-05, 12:26 PM
((You're a little short for a stormtrooper... XD))

Erunak

"What do you mean by the dwarves' attitude being...different? How do they know of our task in the first place?"

Erunak frowns. Everything so far has been straightforward, and now this six-foot man comes forward and says he is representing the dwarves.

"Be a giant with a fruit basket from the kobolds any minute now," Erunak mutters to himself.

plugsy
2007-09-05, 01:35 PM
Rissit:

Rissit prepares to explain a begins,
"The kings have discussed the matter I believe. King Gemcutter and the king who has engaged or a least recruited you. I am unaware how things stnd so far between you and the king other than that a group has been chosen, have you met the king or been given any guidance yet?"

He looks around as if to check he can't be overheard.
"As for the dwarven view, well they don't believe in the existence of the artifact. Despite repeated pleas king Gemcutter declined to send a representative. I visited at just the right time calling to see the kings son, a friend who I've known since childhood."

Pausing briefly to scratch his nose Rissit then continues,
"The king took the opportunity presented by my visit to ask if I would be interested in the possibilities offered by your pending exploits. It suited us both, I thought the adventure could be exciting and King Gemcutter thought I, not being a dwarf, was expendable. Not admittedly the nicest thing I've ever been called but hey, I like excitement and I like dwarves"

Calamity
2007-09-05, 03:10 PM
Tamly

Wow, a human representing the dwarves? You must get as many funny looks as halfings do in the South Western towns. Needless to say though, I'm glad to meet you Rissit, I'm Tamly.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-05, 04:09 PM
"Well, I can sympathize somewhat with the dwarves in that regard. But the tallfolk seem to think it is important, so I'm along to make sure they don't do anything stupid."

Grrth
2007-09-05, 06:31 PM
Kit:

"Aye," Kit says dryly, "we're in good hands with this trickster gnome here." He smiles, meaning no offense. "Rissit, you say? Representing the Dwarves? Well, then, we are in luck."

After rummaging in his pack for a moment, Kit draws out the last letter and hands it to Rissit. "This can only mean you, if King Gemcutter sent you. If you still wish to be a part of the mission, we are on our way to T'nik now." His grin grew a little wider. "To see the king!"

Greetings past, Kit sets forth once more, content to let the others follow as they may.

rovinpiper
2007-09-05, 07:31 PM
Greetings Master Rissit. I am Cristobal Hawker. I'm the wizard of this party.

Master Kit, is there anyone else coming who might be joining us that we should know about?

I believe someone broached the subject of our formation a while ago. I'd favor putting Kit and Eruniak up front since they have armor on their side. Ressit and I in the middle, and Tamly watching the rear.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-05, 09:55 PM
((Well, about a day has passed, so in a few hours I'll estimate it as a day and a half so then I'll post that you arrive.))

After a day and a half's hard walking, you have finally arrived at the Elven city of T'nik. The forest surrounds you, with lush verdant greenery and abundant wildlife. The Eleven village is comprised mainly of well made wooden houses, with a few made from rich and colourful marble. The village is surrounded by no wall, and has no visible defences. The road leads into the village about 40 feet away.

plugsy
2007-09-06, 08:46 AM
Rissit:

"Thank you kindly Kit, a letter for me you say, excellent. And off to see the king in to the bargain, what more could a man want. Well other than gold, gems, wine, women, adventure ,long life and plenty of dwarven company"

Rissit stops to stroke his moustache, then realising he's shaved it off blushes, becomes a little less sure of himself and stutters briefly before continuing
"I shall at some point remember all of your details but my memory is a difficult beast to manage at times. Ever since I took an Orc warhammer in my left ear it's given me trouble. No amount of healing or magical remedies seem to help. When we have a little time later I'll write it all down, I hope no one will be offended if I forget their details until then"

Glawackus
2007-09-06, 11:40 AM
Erunak

"Quite a nice place here," Erunak says, looking around in an attempt to spot any sentries or rangers walking about the village perimeter. "When we return from wherever we are going, I would be happy to see more of this place, Kit."

plugsy
2007-09-06, 11:57 AM
Rissit:

I believe someone broached the subject of our formation a while ago. I'd favor putting Kit and Eruniak up front since they have armor on their side. Ressit and I in the middle, and Tamly watching the rear.

"Well I'm happy with that position it fits my use to, and role within, the group"

Glawackus
2007-09-06, 01:17 PM
Erunak nods his assent re: marching order.

((feeling lazy :P))

rovinpiper
2007-09-06, 04:41 PM
Foreign languages are sooo fun! says Cristobal in a tone of forced cheerfulness. Sometimes you can express yourself better in them, too. For instance in Draconic I could tell you.

(Speaks in Draconic. Only for Draconic-speaking characters and DM.)

There are two well-camouflaged elven warriors in concealed wooden structures carved from tree trunks near the side of the road.

I couldn't tell you that in Elven or Common, though. Does anyone understand Draconic? I hope so.

Cristobal draws his dagger and begins using it to clean out under his fingernails. Then he begins to slap the flat of his blade against the palm of one hand repeatedly.

Eruniak? You've traveled a great deal haven't you? You've seen many types of warriors from other cultures. Even some Elven cultures. Probably including some very, very subtle and stealthy groups, too?

Glawackus
2007-09-06, 04:57 PM
Erunak

"I'm not quite that well-travelled, although I have seen some other warriors--mercenaries mostly, during my time in the army. The most impressive had to be this dwarf unit." Erunak looks over at the "dwarf" for a moment. "We were chasing some greenskins that had holed up in an abandoned garrison, and they had closed the gates up tight. Archers everywhere. We couldn't get anywhere near the place without being turned inter a pincushion." Erunak smiles at a memory, and continues. "Headquarters sent the dwarves. They marched up, took one look at the place, and waved one of their supply wagons off to the side and talked to the driver for a moment. I only know a few dwarven words, but they kept gesturing at the walls and pointing at the wagon. We camped for a week, and then, Captain Giles told us that we were going to make the charge on the garrison from the west side. The gate was on the north, and we were sure that old Giles had finally lost it--charging straight into a wall. He made it clear that it was an order, and we muttered about how he was going to get us all killed. We went up there, and did the best we could with shields to block the arrows. As soon as we were about six feet from the wall, there was this roaring sound, and the whole thing collapsed. A few orcs emerged from the dust, chasing after some gnomes, who were running like all the hells were after them, and laughing. We stood there dazed for a moment, watching the orcs trying to run down to the huge hole in the wall, and then the dwarves just charged in with this bellowing battlecry.

The gnomes had some kind of fire-powder that they'd used to take down the wall--the wagon I'd seen had been full of them, and casks of the powder. They'd spent the week digging under the wall, placing the casks just so, and then some brave mage of theirs sent a ball of fire into the whole thing and blew the wall sky high. That was probably the most impressive feat of stealth I've seen."

Erunak looks over at Skjald. "You wouldn't happen to have any of that lying around, would you?"

Did I just make a joke? something inside Erunak asks.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-06, 05:27 PM
"I do have some talent with explosives, although I prefer alchemical fire to black powder," Skjald says, nodding politely at the two elves hiding by the side of the road as they pass.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-06, 07:25 PM
Cristobal fidgets with his dagger, as if trying to tell the party something. Looking at him, each of you discern that he is trying to tell the party that there is a well camouflaged Elven force comprised mainly of mages and rangers creeping behind the party.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-06, 07:28 PM
Foreign languages are sooo fun! says Cristobal in a tone of forced cheerfulness. Sometimes you can express yourself better in them, too. For instance in Draconic I could tell you.

(Speaks in Draconic. Only for Draconic-speaking characters and DM.)

There are two well-camouflaged elven warriors in concealed wooden structures carved from tree trunks near the side of the road.

I couldn't tell you that in Elven or Common, though. Does anyone understand Draconic? I hope so.

Cristobal draws his dagger and begins using it to clean out under his fingernails. Then he begins to slap the flat of his blade against the palm of one hand repeatedly.

Eruniak? You've traveled a great deal haven't you? You've seen many types of warriors from other cultures. Even some Elven cultures. Probably including some very, very subtle and stealthy groups, too?

If you weant to do something like that in future, just tell me and I'll send the message to the characters that can speak draconic.

Grrth
2007-09-06, 08:08 PM
Kit:

The elven cleric looks sideways to grin at Erunak as they approach the elven city of T'nik. A slight bob creeps into his step as he looks back ahead. He's home!

He hears the others talking, but he's not listening. His eyes are drinking in the sights. As wondrous and exciting as the little venture had been, nothing beats the sight of home -- but suddenly his smile turns to a frown and he slows his forward momentum, trying to make sense of what his eyes are telling him.

To either side of the main entrance to the city are two wooden structures, carved out of the trunk of a tree and camoflagued, as only elves can build a structure that looks as if it were grown. That is not what stikes Kit as odd. No, crouched beside the structure are two elves, likewise camoflaged to blend into the greenery. Their pikes, standard weapons of the forest guardians, lie on the ground. Only because he's looking does Kit even notice these implements as they are also naturally camoflaged, appearing to untrained eyes as just another tree branch. Although the elves are at rest, they are tense, their muscles poised to act upon a moment's notice, their hands deceptively close from their weapons.

A slight movement draws Kit's gaze upward and his eyes widen in surprise. In the trees directly above him is another of the camoflaged elves, daggers in either hand. He starts in surprise as he catches Kit's gaze.

Mouth dropping open a little, Kit mouths, "Wha ...?"

The group has continued on, oblivious, and now Kit finds he's standing beside the wizard, and he runs the past conversation over in his mind again but can make little sense of it. Watching Cristobal now, however, Kit understands something else. He turns and looks away from the city, towards the armed party approaching from the rear.

Something was up, something that chilled his blood and made his mouth go dry. If the forest guardians were mobilizing, then something was seriously wrong. His heart hammers in his chest as a thousand possible reasons run pell-mell through his head and he has to struggle to stay calm and walk rather than run. He wants to run, right into the city and -- here he couldn't decide, would he go home or to the temple first? and his feet couldn't make up their minds, go forward or back?

He doesn't want to draw anymore attention to the hiding elves and is already afraid he's compromised their position, but he loosens his sword in its sheath anyway, as unobtrusively as he can, ignoring for now his bulky pack and the shield on his back as being too obvious. Still, he cannot keep his anxiety off his face or from his voice.

"Wait," he says, stopping the others, "something's wrong."

Glawackus
2007-09-06, 08:17 PM
Erunak

Erunak clenches the end of his mace, not quite sure of whether or not to draw it. "What is it, Kit?" he growls, looking into the woods as if expecting an orc behind every tree.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-06, 08:51 PM
"An entire war party following us? I don't mean to be disparaging the ways of your people, but is that not a bit on the extreme side?"

The gnome unhooks his cudgel from his belt, and props it as non-chalantly as possible across his shoulder, while simultaneously fingering a vial of orange liquid on his belt.

"Should I be concerned?"

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-06, 10:25 PM
Noticing that you have discovered them, the Elves in the wooden structures get up, their spears at the ready. The Elf in the tree drops down behind you. There is now an Elf on either side of you and behind. There seems to be no war party following you, you must have mis-understood Cristobals gestures. They look as if they might be hostile for a moment, but then suddenly, an Elf dressed in crimson robes comes out of one of the houses and rushes towards you.

Stop! These are not enemies brothers.

The apparent Guards drop their weapons and the robed Elf turns to Kit.

I understand that you were the representative that was appointed by the King. I'm afraid that there has been some changes while you were gone. Come and follow me, we have much to speak of.

The Elf turns and walks back into the house that he came from, beckoning you to follow.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-06, 10:51 PM
"Well that is a relief," says Skjald as he follows the robed elf.

Glawackus
2007-09-07, 05:03 AM
Erunak

Still full of adrenaline, Erunak gives one of the guards a grin best described as "more than slightly crazy" and follows the others inside.

Grrth
2007-09-07, 05:44 AM
Kit:

Kit spins awkwardly between the elves as they converge on the party, not startled, but uncertain of where to turn, especially as the expected war party does not materialize. He finally settles on the red-robed elf with some relief, but even greater concern.

Enemies? Surely they could not suspect me of leading enemies into my home?

Granted, he's been so involved (his family would say obsessed) with learning the ways of the church that he's barely stepped outside its doors this past half-century or more, but he has this niggling suspicion that he ought to know this wizard-elf. ((OOC: assuming he's a wizard))

At any rate, he seems to know me!

Bad thoughts continue to race through Kit's mind, from invaders to illness to treachery to ... he looks rather dazed as he follows the elf, gesturing vaguely for his companions to follow. This is indeed a bizarre welcome.

"Changes?" he manages to blurt out once inside. "What has happened?"

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-07, 08:09 AM
The inside of the Elves hut is comfortably, but not lavishly furnished. A round table with eight seats sits in the middle of a carpeted floor, and a fire burns in a grate on the wall. The room is comfortably warm. Two doors are in the center of the wall on either side of you. The Elf sits down on the far seat and beckons to you.

Sit down, please.

When you are all sat down he scans all of you, getting a better look at you in these more comfortable settings. He turns to Kit and speaks to him.

I welcome you back, and the...

he pauses for a moment, as if searching for the word.

Followers, You have brought. I'm afraid a little has changed since you left. The King has a new advisor, the one called Yaleartrixcallanonbernhaletaertarnor, from the newly formed house of the Purging Light.

Looking at the faces of the party besides Kit, he clears his throat and speaks again.

Ah, your companions may have difficulty pronouncing his true name, so his short-name is Yale. And it is by his counsel that the guards outside were stationed. Well, I have been instructed to bring you here and to give you food and lodgings. And... Well... I am sorry to tell you, but... There has been a tragedy. Kit, If I may call you Kit, I'm afraid that your family was found guilty of treason. They were tried and found guilty of conspiring to assassinate the King. It seems that your Father had a legitimate claim on the Throne, and that he attempted to speed his ascension through foul play.

I'm sorry to say that he dragged your siblings into this as well. A trial, led by Yale, who has taken over the duties of the Most Honourable Terntaleblaertableforn, High Adjudicator of the Court in his unexplained absence, found them guilty yesterday of Treason. They were executed this morning. I'm... Sorry to be the one who has to tell you this. I do not wish to sound presumptuous, but I know how you must be feeling. My Half-Brother Pell, was also found guilty of treason a month ago. It seems that he dis-agreed with Yales new policies and... Tried to take the law into his own hands. Once again, I am sorry. You may find this hard to believe, but you are the new Prince of the Elves. Your Coronation is scheduled two days from now. Prince Kitathas, my Liege, you are to leave your arms and armour here, I am instructed to provide you lodgings for the night.

The Elf looks truly sorry now, and in the clearer light, you can see that he is extremely haggard. Bags around his eyes signify lack of sleep, and he looks older than the sum of his years.

Grrth
2007-09-07, 08:19 AM
You may find this hard to believe, but you are the new Prince of the Elves.

((OOC: oh my f***** ***!))

((sorry, 'scuse me, gut reaction :smallbiggrin: ))

---

Kit:

Kit froze. He couldn't process what he was being told. His father? Guilty of treason? ... Assassination? ... Line of succession? ... His father? Of royal lineage? ... Treason? ... Guilty of attempted assassination? His father? ... His family? ... Guilty ... Guilty?

Wait, wait, didn't he say tragedy? What was the tragedy? His mind played back the words: Executed ... ... dead ... they were all dead ...

"No!" Kit shouts, leaping to his feet. He staggers to the door, tears streaming down his face, and blindly lurching in a random direction. There was a huge, gaping hole where his heart should be, he couldn't see, couldn't hear anything but the wizard's words echoing round and round his head, the rest forgotten in the moment.

He collapses, falling to his knees under the trees, not ashamed of his tears, hardly even feeling their hot traces on his skin. He feels numb, seeing the faces of his father, his mother, his brothers, his sister ... gone, all gone ... dead. He clutches his holy symbol so tightly the ornate wood cuts into his skin.

Oh, my Lord Corellon, Protector of Life, why? Why?

He cries harder now, without words, devoid of all but the grief in his soul.

plugsy
2007-09-07, 09:13 AM
Rissit:

Rissit looks somewhat stunned and confused.
"So let me get this straight. After the coronation Kit is in charge. Yet it seems as though this Yale may really be in charge."

He turns to kit and says
"This also complicates my position here. I am here on the undrstanding this is a mission for the old king. It now becomes difficult."

I'm confused, back in post 56 skjald said
"An entire war party following us? I don't mean to be disparaging the ways of your people, but is that not a bit on the extreme side?"
It's like he was responding to someone else saying it but I can't see it. What was that alll about?

Grrth
2007-09-07, 09:21 AM
It was here:

Cristobal fidgets with his dagger, as if trying to tell the party something. Looking at him, each of you discern that he is trying to tell the party that there is a well camouflaged Elven force comprised mainly of mages and rangers creeping behind the party.

My guess is, the group disappeared back into the trees before they could be spotted by anyone else.

Calamity
2007-09-07, 09:55 AM
Tamly

Tamly looks shocked at the news.

Oh... oh my, I'm deeply sorry Kit. I've heard some horibble things in human lands but this...... is just terrible!

(OOC)
I spotted them too, but I didn't get the chance to respond. Due to sleep and school I have like a 12 hour gap in when I can post, and being im GMT+1 most posts appear while I'm away.

plugsy
2007-09-07, 10:36 AM
I think what happend with the war party was I'd read two pages of posts, attributed a small number of mages & rangers to one comment in my mind and a large number (20+) to the other. So of course they didn't match up.

I spotted them too, but I didn't get the chance to respond. Due to sleep and school I have like a 12 hour gap in when I can post, and being im GMT+1 most posts appear while I'm away.

I noticed that problem, but I'm stuck at home ill so I'm just trying to sleep polyphasically, but I haven't cracked it in three attempts. It doesn't really matter anyways whilst we're still just talking and walking, just can cause mind muddles like my "war party" confuzzion.

Rissit:

Rissit looks at the Halfling
"Thats what humans do. Most other races don't behave in the same way". (OOC: Yeah right never seen an evil charcter of any other race!)

Glawackus
2007-09-07, 11:33 AM
((Now that was a curveball.))

Erunak

He's the what?!

"Well, um, uh..." Erunak pauses, wondering whether or not he should take offense to the comment about "what humans do", and then shakes his head around. "My old quartermaster had an expression, that something like this would be ten pounds of sh-"

Erunak pauses, and glances at the tired elf. "We had instructions from the king, or letters, or something. Does this...Yaleamameter, whatever his name is...is he on the same page as we are? Because, no offense towards Ki...the Prince, but he doesn't seem to know much."

Grrth
2007-09-07, 05:10 PM
((OOC: I finally got my background finished! :smallbiggrin: ))

---

Kit remembers:

Growing up, Kit was the bane of the cats and other woodland creatures of his forested home. Whereas his three older brothers and the eldest, his sister, befriended these animals from an early age, carrying them about, feeding them, teaching them tricks, Kit chased after the animals with a large stick, acting out the adventures told him by his tutor and nurse. One such cat, his mother's familiar, was henceforth renamed Dragon by the young elven child, for often did the cat play a pivotal role in Kit's neverending quest for valor and glory. The cat did take well enough to the games, spitting and arching its back as the child waved his play sword about and called out vows for imagined vengeance and justice.

His parents watched all with a distant and amused indulgence but also a wary concern, for this son of theirs was not unto the rest of his kin; for nigh on four generations, almost two thousand turns of the seasons, there were none who followed the ways of the sword. The family lineage was filled with arcane lore, wizards of all kinds, some that summoned great beasts or created powerful potions with alchemy or imbued weapons or created magnificent items or studied the ancient lore of elven kind, and many more besides. Oh, there was one bard, a half-elf and distant cousin, but none else, a matter of pride for this old but minor noble house.

There came a day when the young elf was not to be heard badgering the erstwhile Dragon or otherwise brandishing his little sword. His laughter was not to be heard nor did his small feet beat upon the floors. As with many in the small community, this elven child was plagued with fever, a fever from which many died, as did his mother. Such a plague had not been seen in hundreds of years. No home remained untouched and although Kit balanced uneasily on the cusp for many a day, as a family they were very lucky indeed.

Kit's memories of times before his illness are weak, fuzzy as all children's are, but also because the illness marked a turning point in his life. He remembered being sick, indeed, he remembered not wanting to get better, for he remembered the feeling he had of peace and well-being, a contented kind of joy, and beauty all around him. His nurse, sitting beside him as he woke, would later remark that she'd seen stars in his eyes as he'd first blinked them at her.

Shortly after, still weak enough that he must be carried everywhere, Kit found a way to crawl into the garden and their home shrine. From that day on, he could scarcely be kept away, a matter Kit's father was counseled to encourage, for the small pilgrimage would strengthen his limbs, and, if indeed he was called there, it would not do to stand in the way of the gods, especially not that of the Ruler of all Elves, Corellon Larethian himself.

When he was fully recovered, Kit went to the temple in the city and joined the ranks of the initiates, studying the history and lore of the church, although he still lived at home. His brothers and sister loved him dearly but they did not understand him, and his father was much too immersed in his own grief to pay him much mind. Kit felt the loss acutely. He still felt the pull of the sword, but he fought it back and learned the arts of the healer instead, still striving to learn ought he could of magic, as a way, perhaps, of earning a father's pride.

As soon as he were old enough, Kit moved to the temple permanently, the youngest apprentice they'd ever had. He was driven, but detached, given to long bouts of solitary prayer and meditation. Still, there was about him such an air of contentment and quiet joy that never failed to bring smiles to the faces of even the dourest of Kit's teachers. He could not avoid the sword arts, however, quickly proving and honing his innate talent. As he studied, his visits home became less and less frequent until they stopped altogether; instead, he ran wild about the rooms and grounds of the temples, surprising pilrims with his ready smiles and laughter, always begging for stories of distant lands.
Two weeks ago:

The day of Kit's majority marked another significant milestone. That day, a letter and a messenger arrived for Kit during the ceremony of his acceptance as a full-fledged cleric of the church. Kit remembered little of the ceremony itself, only that his father was there. He could not stop smiling for the duration of the event, warmed by the long conversation he'd had with his father the night before, the first time they'd spoken in over a decade. Beside his father were his brothers, and his sister, beaming up at him, full of family honor and pride. Then he'd turned around again at the end, his new holy symbol tapping against his breast, to see a stranger, one of the adrastai, the king's most trusted warriors, standing beside his father.

Still there were more traditions, other new clerics to welcome and congratulate, and it was several hours later before Kit was able to satisfy his curiosity.

"Harani a'kaheyla de'shanuay," Kit greeted the elven warrior.

The elf smiled back. "Greetings to you, Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari."

Kit was astonished at the full use of his name, only the second time he'd ever been addressed as such. This was indeed a marvelous day! He grinned one of his infectious smiles and the warrior laughed, remembering his own youthful exuberance, the newfound pleasure of adulthood reached.

He pulled a letter from his satchel and handed it, with all due ceremony, to Kit. "The king sends this to you, young Kitathas. A mission."

"An adventure?" Kit couldn't contain his sudden thrill of excitement. Wide-eyed, he stared at his father.

But Kit's father would only shrug, saying, "Open it, Kit."

Kit tore open the letter. Written in elven, he read:

"Acheyla, Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari. You, I have chosen to represent our Elven People upon a matter of urgent need. You shall seek out these others, at the human city of Dappled Fields: Cristobal Hawk, Erunak Keftian, Tamly Loarmack, and Skaldbakka. Deliver unto them my letters and bring them hence back to T'nik. My advisors tell me that this group shall be the very ones to seek out the nefarious, demon object of power known as the Artifact of Nazfariel. Time is of the essence, make all haste to return, whenceforth all shall be made known unto you."

Below was the signature of the High King himself. Full of wonder, Kit stared first at his father and then at the warrior-knight. "Me?"

"This is no game," said Kit's father quickly, not even trying to mask his concern. "This is a dangerous quest, Kit. You can say no."

The adrastai frowned, as did Kit. "Desh'ketai, how could I turn down the king's request?"

Kit's father pursed his lips together and was silent. Whatever reservations he had, he kept them to himself.

Kit had many questions for the adrastai, but most could not be answered. He learned of a magical shockwave felt throughout the elven peoples, felt by other wizards and users of arcane magic across the land. All the kings had been in counsel, researching the portentious event. Kit was who the king wanted and he would go. He accepted the message satchel from the adrastai, hard-pressed to contain his eagerness.

"A moment," said Kit, looking at the contents of the satchel and holding up a letter. "Is this an extra one?"

The adrastai shook his head. "No. That is for the dwarven representative. We are .. still negotiating with them, but, if the gods are merciful, the dwarves will be sending their representative to meet you in Dappled Fields."

"I understand."

"There is no time to lose, Kitathas, you must bring back as many as you can as quickly as you can. Do not wait overly long, leave as soon as possible."

Kit nodded, and yet he could not leave right away. Preparations must be made, supplies gathered, bags packed. Kit's father even searched through their family heirlooms for sword and armor from a long-ago ancestor, hastily re-sized for the tall Kit. A week after receiving the letter, Kit left, smiling and waving to his family.

"A'Laena Sar, Desh'ketai," Kit said last, hugging his father farewell. In a sudden youthful gesture, he kissed his father on the cheek. He'd be back in a week and then the adventure would really begin.
Now:

In his mind's eye, Kit waved and smiled, his family waving back, his sister, stern of face, but laughing through her eyes, his father worried, his brothers teasing. He'd been so sure! He'd only been gone a week! How could his whole world be turned upside down in so short a time?

The gaping hole in his heart has not eased, but Kit has no more tears. When he stands again, he does so in the shadows of early evening. He is stiff from the heavy armor, but, more than that, he feels immeasureably weary, and suddenly old. He is not a child any more. He is the last of his family and he does not believe for a moment that his father would have committed treason, so there must be something more at foot. For the first time, Kit is mindful of how unattuned he is to the daily affairs of the city, and to the rest of the Elven people. He does not know them, he knows no life outside the church.

I will have to learn, he decided, and quickly.

And then there was something else. Kit's family was low in the line of succession, his family but minor nobles. Weren't there others? Shouldn't there be others before himself? How did he suddenly find himself at the top of the list? Unless ... unless ... he searched his memories, but he'd immersed himself so thoroughly into the church he realized he didn't recall his family history that well, he hadn't been interested in the journals of dead wizards as a child. Had he ... was it possible that he remembered incorrectly? Was his family perhaps more influential than he'd thought? He had no aunts or uncles on his father's side, two on his mother's, but they did not live here in the city. He didn't even remember what they looked like. Cousins, then? But no, he didn't know them either.

Treason. Kit shivered although he was not cold. By rights he should also be tried and cast out for his father's 'crimes,' but he hadn't. He was suddenly the heir-apparent. Why -- no, how had he been protected?

"My liege?"

Kit jumped. He hadn't heard the elf approach. "Y-yes?" he was still too startled, too wrapped up in his grief and thoughts to be polite. He sees the other elf's fatigue and sorrow but he can't seem to summon up enough empathy at the moment to care.

"Will you come in now? There is food ... Perhaps you would like to rest?"

He opens his mouth to agree, but asks instead, "When did it happen? When were they arrested? I've only been gone a week! It's too soon! Too quick! Tell me everything, I beg you, please! Who is this Yaleartrixcallanonbernhaletaertarnor? When did he come here? Your brother, when did he die?"

The elf's eyes dart around. He plucks at Kit's arm. "Not out here, my prince, please, come inside!"

Kit shut his mouth with a click. He bowed slightly in apology and embarassment. "Yes, yes, of course, you are right. Let us go in."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-07, 08:28 PM
The shadows are long now, and the Elf looks sorry that Kit had had to go through this so suddenly.

My liege, I have prepared food and bedding for you. I'm sorry, but I'll also have to take your weapons, but I'm authorized to let you keep your armour. Please follow me.

The Robed Elf leads you through the left door into a room with eight pallets, side by side. A small plate of Elvish bread and wine are upon each one. He turns to you.

Ah yes, My liege, I am sorry, but we have not been properly introduced. My name is... Well, my friends call me Keeper. I hope that your stay is pleasant. But, oh. I'm starting to sound like an inn-keeper aren't I.

Keeper forces a smile, obviously trying to make the young Prince feel better. But whether out of kindness or an attempt to curry favour you cannot tell. He indicates towards the weapons at your belts.

May I please have those? It's customary for all those who enter to leave their weapons here until they buy a weapons permit from Yale.

he stands there patiently smiling, looking at all of the party.

I'm glad that you have found such fine followers my liege. Not once have they tried to take advantage of the situation.

((Yes Grrth. Holy F*** indeed. [Damn Priests with yer' extra swearwords and slicked back hair and music I don't understand.] ))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-07, 08:55 PM
((The War Party bit? Ah, I may have been unclear on this. Cristobal attempted a Bluff check to indicate that there was some hidden Elves in the trees, but he rolled a 1.))

Grrth
2007-09-07, 09:16 PM
((dang, does this get any worse? Eep! Don't answer that!))

Kit:

Kit unfastens swordbelt, bow, and quiver and reluctantly hands them over. He sheds the armor, stacking it neatly, glad to have the weight off. He sits down on the bed and picks at the bread until Keeper leaves.

Then he looks up at the others, with probably the first actually serious face they've seen on him.

"Were you able to learn anything of import from Keeper?" he asks in a low voice. "My father would never commit treason, so either he was tricked in some way or he was murdered. My instincts are telling me to flee, because there must be a reason I am now heir-apparent, and I don't like the implications. Still, I want to know the truth, but I will not keep you to your ... ah, previous obligation if you choose to leave. What say you?"

rovinpiper
2007-09-07, 09:33 PM
His entire family is dead, and he is now the heir apparent to the throne. An adviser has asserted de facto control over the government.

Wait...Does this mean no artifact-hunting expedition? I guess I'll have to go back to the Wizard's Guild tomorrow?

Also, do you think that we could have a word with you, I mean just the Prince and his what is it now...followers? That's what everyone is calling us, I think.

Let's talk for a bit and then we can turn in weapons and eat.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-07, 11:43 PM
((Well, feel free to role-play a little bit while the sun sets ever more beneath the horizon.))

plugsy
2007-09-08, 02:41 AM
OOC:In the spoiler
A minor point and it's being a bit picky but: 2 weeks ago a letter to kit could not have included Rissit. At that time the Dwraven king was still refusing to send anyone (as he wouldn't risk the life of a dwarf on a fools errand). The first anyone knew of Rissit was when he arrived and introduced himself. Even the king would only have become aware of Rissit's identity once you arrived in his regal presence. The king did of course know that the dwarves intended to send someone and he been asked to send the details of his intended recruits. That is how Rissit was able to identify your "motley collection of races" on the road.

Rissit:

Rissit is agitated and uncomfortable
"I don't like this at all. I have a bad feeling about all this. Kit is suddenly elevated to the regency. A very suspicious official appears to have all the power. Kit is going to be crowned, but I think someone is going to expect him to be a puppet. That means they're going to be feeling threatend by us. They're calling us his "friends", meaning, "people who will take his side in an argument". This bodes ill for us all I fear."

He paces up and down for a few seconds before continuing.
"However, we should not abandon Kit nor leave this unsavoury Yale person to his own devices. I say that we support Kit in whatever he feels necessary, be that a quest for the artifact or dealing with matters in the city. We must however be on our gaurd at all times to ensure no mysterious 'accidents' befall us".

Glawackus
2007-09-08, 06:43 AM
Erunak

Erunak leans over and whispers in Rissit's ear, I don't like this giving-up-the-weapons deal. I smell a rat.

plugsy
2007-09-08, 12:39 PM
Perhaps the future king, would like to suggest to the nice guards that the future king and his associates should be exempt from the waepons rule. As for buying a permit..... I sense a fight coming on.

((OK I see now, well nobody pulled me up when I dais the king being gone was(( problem for me - perhaps cause it didn't make any sense. In fact my last three now don't make much sense.

Assume my character took a bang on the head and has been talking rubbish.))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-08, 07:51 PM
"Here you go. If we have any need of these tonight, we are dead anyway, " Skjald says cheerfully as he tosses his club nonchalantly to the elf collecting the weapons. "Now, let us eat."

Glawackus
2007-09-08, 08:20 PM
Erunak

"Fine," Erunak snaps, tossing his mace to the elf. "When the midden hits the windmill, just remember that you were the one who took the things."

Erunak feels naked without his mace, and crosses his arms. "Grub?"

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-08, 09:51 PM
The night has darkened now, and sleep begins to pull at you all. Once Keeper has all of your weapons, he lights a candle by the door and leaves the room wordlessly. Once he is gone, the house is silent, and the room lit only by the shaky light of the candle.

((Well, now what shall you do? Will you go to sleep, or are you suspicious of Keeper? Do what you will.))

Glawackus
2007-09-08, 09:53 PM
Erunak

"I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Erunak paces the floor. "I'm sorely tempted to go out for a little 'walk', see what I can find."

Calamity
2007-09-09, 05:43 AM
Tamly

I have to agree with Erunak, something doesn't feel right here. But we must get some sleep, so perhaps we could take turns keeping watch?

Grrth
2007-09-09, 11:14 AM
Kit:

"I don't think I can sleep anyway," says Kit, staring at his shredded bread and sighing. "And I don't need as much sleep as the rest of you do, so I don't mind. Keeping watch, that is."

Looking over at Erunak: "Be careful, there are not many humans here." His gaze slides to Skaldbakka. "There is, however, a rather large contingent of gnomes, on the east side of the city." A smile tugs at his troubled face. "Their homes and businesses are only seldom made by elven craftsmen, so they should be easy to recognize."

Glawackus
2007-09-09, 06:48 PM
Erunak

"Any chance you could tell me where to find those humans? Or at least a general place to start looking?"

Grrth
2007-09-09, 06:58 PM
Kit:

The elf scratches his head. "Well, the inns that cater to outsiders will be here near the gate, or you might try one of the guilds, those are closer to the center of the city. I really -- beyond that ... hmm, there's an outdoor citadel for druids on the outskirts, um, maybe the Hall of Records? Sometimes when looking up family lines, folk from all over come here to see if they can prove elven ancestry, though it is late, don't know if they'd be open."

plugsy
2007-09-09, 08:35 PM
Rissit:

Rissit hands his weapon over, whilst he agrees with the general feeling he doesn't think there's much point in going over it yet again so he keeps silent.

rovinpiper
2007-09-10, 01:28 PM
Cristobal watches the others turn over their weapons with growing dismay. He avoids looking at the elves collecting weapons, and marches over to Kit.

With all due respect your Royal Highness,

He hisses as he grasps Kit's shoulder and tries to pull him down so that Cristobal can speak directly into his ear.

We should leave immediately! WITH...our weapons. This Yale has killed dozens of people in just a week. Now he is confiscating our weapons. By the gods, it is madness to stay here! It's suicide!

Glawackus
2007-09-10, 04:37 PM
Erunak

"I think that we need to do something here, but I don't think we can ask Kit to leave his men, er, his people, at this time. I'm starting to think that maybe just sleeping on this whole thing and dealing with it by daylight would be a better idea."

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-10, 06:46 PM
"Your Royal Highness, I have some reading material for you while you are taking the first watch," the gnome says, as he hands a dusty tome entitled Journal to Kit, as well as a simple ring. "I found these under that bunk there, while you were talking."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-10, 07:34 PM
The journal opens reluctantly. The words are of an spiralling formal script. It seems to be a day-today record of the life of an Elf who hasn't named himself within the book. It tells of the leaving of Kit into the world, and of Yales coming, and the Kings decline of power. Of interest is the last section.

Monday
Now I know why Ke'Kitathatas left. The Artifact. If only he'd asked me! I, the one who has dedicated his life to learning about it! And Yale. He has to know about Yale! I have the first piece, I shall place it in this box for safe-keeping. I must guard my speech, as my enchantment that allows me to speak-write can be a double edged sword. The enchantment that keeps my twelth Journal hidden should wear off in about a month. How dare Yale (only the most foolish Elf would believe that to be a true Elvish name!) try to sabotage my country!

Wednesday
He... He's not. He couldn't be. He died. ALL THE STORIES SAY HE DIED! Oh no. I Must go, I have to kill that monster, it's... it's too late for Yale. I must never use the Ring again. I wish I'd never asked the Ring who Yale was. I only hope I can save Kitathas's family. But Kit and his companions are more important. The.. The descendants must live.

Glawackus
2007-09-10, 07:39 PM
Erunak

"Alright. This is getting ridiculous. Anyone want to tell me what this ring is? And who died?"

Grrth
2007-09-10, 08:56 PM
Kit:

Kit's fingers curl around the ring and his eyes close against the sudden surge of grief and anger brought on by the words in the journal. Evidently, the author had failed to save -- he pushes aside his feelings with a sudden thought. Keeper had said his brother had also been killed? He had to know more! What if this Pell was the author of the journal?

He offers the ring to Cristobal. "Can you identify this, Master Hawk?"

Only the words in the journal keep Kit from sliding the ring on his finger out of pure curiosity. If the author was so wary about the thing, then they, too, must be cautious.

"Died," he muses, echoing Erunak's thoughts, then, "What does the Artifact have to do with this Yale?" He didn't want to voice his first thought, that the monster written about, the one that was supposed to be dead, seemed to him to be the demon itself, Nazfariel. If that was true, then who was the author, that he considered himself strong enough to confront the demon alone? No, he must be missing something, but what?

Why am I suddenly so important? he wonders in dismay. I'm nobody.

Aloud, he says, "Why do I suddenly get the feeling that we're the 'descendents' this guy is talking about? Descendents of what?"

[edited to add PM info, rather than double-post]

Kit sits up suddenly, hissing, "Shh! I hear something."

He hears a low keening sound, like someone weeping, and a dull 'thunk' followed by the outside door closing. Rising and setting down the journal, he pads to the door of their room and pauses for a moment to listen further, his hand on the latch.

((Is the door locked? or can I go through?))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-11, 12:23 AM
The door is unlocked, and opens with a creak. You return into the room that you entered by. The door is open, filling the room with a chill wind. The fire burns lower now, filling the room with a flickering glow. On the table is a note, pinned to the table by a small knife. Your weapons lay on the table. The note reads as follows.

My Liege and his companions
I am sorry. I have failed you. Yale forced me to do it. There is no weapons ban. He planned to kill the King with your blade, and have his diviner pronounce you the guilty party. He told me that if I did not, he would kill my brother. He is not dead, as I told you. I even bribed Yales Diviner to search for him for me. He merely laughed, and told me; "He is under the bed'. I cannot live with it any more. I have spent the last of my inheritance to buy a modified Scroll of Dispel Magic, and am setting out now to use it to collapse Yales security. He has none except for a seemingly impenetrable barrier. I urge you to leave as quickly as possible. I do not think that I will succeed, but I shall try. I have told you my name is Keeper. It is not. When I failed my brother, I made this name for myself.
I am no Elf. I am no Man. I am Nothing.

The note is not signed, and appears wet in places, as if someone has wept upon it.

Glawackus
2007-09-11, 05:20 AM
Erunak

"Well, that answers a few questions," Erunak says, almost too cheerily, picking up his mace off the table. "What about descendants now?" He starts tossing the mace from hand to hand idly.

Grrth
2007-09-11, 08:57 AM
Kit:

Kit leans heavily on the table, staring at the note. "I ... I don't understand," he mutters, feeling even more confused than before. "This is all moving so fast!" He yanks the knife from the table and smoothes the note.

"If he's going to confront Yale, that's certain suicide! We should help him, but if we stay here ourselves, we shall too be killed. Then I should say we should carry out our mission, for the Artifact is mixed up in all this, but we have not the information we need to find it. And then last, if we are to leave, we must go at once, or we might find ourselves surrounded by soldiers in the morning. Keeper has bought us time, that should not be wasted.

"Fie! I know not what to do!"

Glawackus
2007-09-11, 11:32 AM
Erunak

"Well, it seems to me that we're caught between a rock and a hard place. Either we stay and try and foil this Yale character, or we chase after this artifact."

Erunak pauses for a moment: he knows what he has to say, because he's been in Kit's position before, and hates having to do this.

"I think that we can still win the war, but I don't think we can win this battle just yet, Kit. Do we have enough time to seek out whoever knows about the artifact's location?"

rovinpiper
2007-09-11, 06:59 PM
Cristobal feels a sudden surge of pride at being asked to identify the ring.

Maybe the long hours that I spent studying and daydreaming about magical implements and oddities were not in vain.

I'll be happy to take a look at it, Your Highness. Arcane lore is something of an obsession to me.

Cristobal sits down with the ring to study it in more detail (spellcraft +6, knowledge (arcana) +6) He'll take 20 on this.

I would definitely be taking notes about this right now if I had remembered to buy pen, ink, and paper. When I no longer fear imminent death, I shall remedy this oversight.

Grrth
2007-09-11, 08:00 PM
((OOC: haha!))

Cristobal feels a sudden surge of pride at being asked to identify the ring.

Maybe the long hours that I spent studying and daydreaming about magical implements and oddities were not in vain.

I'll be happy to take a look at it, Your Highness. Arcane lore is something of an obsession to me.

Cristobal sits down with the ring to study it in more detail (spellcraft +6, knowledge (arcana) +6) He'll take 20 on this.

I would definitely be taking notes about this right now if I had remembered to buy pen, ink, and paper. When I no longer fear imminent death, I shall remedy this oversight.
Kit:

The elf stares down at the note in his hand, turning slightly to address the wizard. "Don't call me that, please. In fact," his mind is turning over the facts again, and he almost feels a bit of hope.

"In fact," he continues, "from this note, can we really be sure that Keeper told us the truth about anything? I have no talent for detecting falsehoods, did anyone think to try?" He frowns again.

"Without being sure, it will be torment to leave here and not know, for sure ... if ... if my family might still live." He looks over at Skaldbakka. "Master gnome, I think you may be the only one of us who can wander the city without being recognized, no one will think twice about you. I would go home if I could, but," he blushes, "I could not hope to do so undetected, and I'm sure the place is being watched. Would you -- could I prevail upon you to ... to check things? If there's the slightest possiblity that they're alive, I would never forgive myself for leaving them in trouble."

He turns back to face the others. "As for the Artifact, I would go to the temple to inquire, but that also is probably being watched, which leaves the Mage's Guild. I've never actually been there, but because of that I don't think anyone will be expecting me to go there.

"Splitting up is not usually considered a good thing in combat tactics, but I'm afraid that our large group would be quite noticeable. There are no walls around the city. If we go in pairs, perhaps we can sneak our way out with no one being the wiser. If, however, they are watching me, perhaps I can draw that attention while the rest of you leave, and we can meet again outside the city. We certainly can't stay here long, we need to be as far away as possible by dawn."

He looked down at the table. "I am sorry, for ... for dragging you into the middle of what appears to be some kind of, er, internal conflict. But," and when he looks up, his face seems to have matured, a hard determination settling there, "I think the King sent me away on purpose. He wanted me to find the Artifact for some reason, and I aim to do just that."

plugsy
2007-09-12, 12:19 AM
OOC:In the spoiler

Rissit:

Rissit is anxious to get moving. All this inaction is meaking him nervous.
"So what is it you want us to do. Sneak off into the city now, in pairs. Then meet outside the city, behind the great oak perhaps. What time do you propose we meet.

We can do all this and meet but we cannot leave the area I feel, perhaps we can hide in the woods during the day until we have all we need. It seems there is information we must have. We need to find this twelfth journal and this first piece. I wonder if the ring is the first piece or if the first piece is written in the twelfth journal. Maybe the first piece is something else entirely"

Rissit stops to think, taking this opportunity to grab his weapon from the pile on the table.
It seems we can use this ring to find who people are, how go your efforts in regard of the ring Cristobal� It would seem the ring may tell us something of Yale, that which we mujst know, and maybe tell us who of we aare descendants. It may even help with discern the author of the note"

rovinpiper
2007-09-12, 05:21 PM
Cristobal peers intently at the ring (which for some reason I keep wanting to spell wring). His lips move almost impreceptibly as though he is in prayer or reciting a magical incantation.

Well, I don't know what to say exactly. It is definitely magical. I cannot discern its exact purpose. I believe I will cast detect magic on it in the morning. I doubt that this will clear much up, but it may lay the groundwork for further research.

It would help to have access to a library. I bet there is a good one at the Mage's Guild. Do you think that I could get there without attracting too much attention, umm, what do I call you then, Kit, I guess. I'd like to go.

At least I am short enough to pass for an elf. If only I weren't ugly enough to pass for a gnoll.

Can we get a more specific name for the artifact?

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-12, 07:18 PM
((Nazfariels trinket, I believe it was called.))

plugsy
2007-09-12, 09:07 PM
Rissit:

Addresing Cristobal Rissit says
"Are you short of magic for today that you'd wait to identify the ring. If you think detect magic will help I have the power for today. I don't however see what detecting is going to tell us, apart from the type of magic."

He checks his scroll case
"We need to cast identify magic, and that is not available for clerics"

(( or rather he doesn't check his scrolls cause the site I have my sheet stored on is down, or seems to be. I've been unable to access it for well over an hour. I'm not sure what scrolls I have since converting the character ))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-12, 10:08 PM
"I know my own district pretty well, but I am not that skilled in the subtly department. I amy not be able to find out much information of use without drawing attention to myself. My skills lie more towards getting into places others think secure."

Grrth
2007-09-12, 10:21 PM
Kit is preoccupied at the moment, thinking deep thoughts.

((OOC: got a PM from Rettu I'm trying to resolve, bear with me?))

rovinpiper
2007-09-13, 02:33 PM
Well, Master Dwarf, I'm not so much short of spells, as I am short of that particular spell. I just haven't prepared it and will need to wait until tommorrow.

My theory is that casting detect magic will tell me the school of magic in play here and that could be something to cross-reference against later, particularly if I can do some library research.

Hey, how long has Keeper been gone. Have we considered going and getting him. You know, intercepting him before he makes his suicidal charge.

Grrth
2007-09-13, 08:12 PM
Kit:

Kit shakes off his melancholy thoughts at Cristobal's question. "It's too late, Master Hawk," he answers, "Keeper has already gone and attacked this Yale, and our only hope of getting out of this city is to finish the job."

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-13, 10:31 PM
"Regardless of our long-term plans, it is likely not wise to remain here"

plugsy
2007-09-14, 05:42 AM
Rissit:

Rissit laughs at Cristobals little joke,
"Aye, a giant among dwarves indeed, as for the identifying, I can't seem to be able to open my scroll case so it seems we'll have to find somewhere to rest."

Rissit defers to kit as he seems to have become their leader by consent. He asks,
"So, Kit what are we doing"

[spoiler]
(( can you other guys using rpgwebprofiler for your characters confirm that it's still missing and that I'm not just doing something wrong ))[/spoi

Calamity
2007-09-14, 10:20 AM
Tamly

Kit, I would normally agree that we would have to go after Yale, but don't you remember what was written in the journal? If we underestimate Yale, then we may not ever leave the city. I'm sorry, I don't want to let this... monster run the city, but, it seems like our quest for the artifact is eve more important. That's difficult to accept, I know, a large part of me (which is not that large, compared to the sizes of humans and elves) stll wants to help out here, but it doesn't seem like this was intended to be an Anti-Yale party. If what the journal says is both true, and refers to us, then we can't risk our lives against Yale. Yet.

Glawackus
2007-09-14, 11:29 AM
Erunak

"I'm afraid that I'm inclined to agree, Kit," Erunak says. "We should hit the temple for information on the Artifact, perhaps check on your relatives, and then leave as fast as we can."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-14, 08:56 PM
Suddenly, an excited male Elves cry is heard outside.

He's weak, my brothers! Attack! Attack! Attack!

You hear excited crys and whoops, and through the window you see about four Elves hell bent on reaching the royal palace.

Grrth
2007-09-14, 09:09 PM
Kit:

Solemnly, Kit tucks away the note and buckles on his sword, gathering the rest of his weapons.

"If we are agreed, then we should decide who will go where. Is anyone skilled at disguises who can help me ... er, look less like me?" He glances at Cristobal. "I know it's possible with magic, I don't know about without."

He looks at the rest. "We need to make all possible speed to a place we can hide without detection, or at least stand a reasonable chance of defending ourselves." He presses the heels of his hands to his forehead, eyes closed, trying to remember what he'd been told originally.

"Somebody, or, rather, a group, found the artifact and they triggered some kind of shockwave that our wizarding community felt. Master Hawk, you can possibly use that as a way to gather some information regarding the artifact, the, ah, Artifact of Nazfariel? I think that's what it was called."

He drops his hands, pursing his lips together in determination. "As stealth is called for, I shall carry my armor, bundled as best as can be to decrease the noise. We cannot leave the city the way we came in as the road is probably still guarded, but I think our best chance will be to get back along the road, seek help back at Dappled Fields if it comes to that. If there are wizards there, it is possible that they will know something also."

He sighs. Leaving like this, sneaking away, leaves a bitter aftertaste, but, God will it, he'd be back this way again soon, and then surely there would be a reckoning!

[Edit]

"On second thought," says Kit, "we should help them!" He gestures towards the noise. Then, grabbing his shield and sword, Kit sprints out into the night, following the cry for battle, joining with the crowd, if there is one. :smalleek:

((OOC: you're not halucinating (or if you are, you and I should see the same shrink); I can't access my char sheets, either. Anyone got any news?))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-14, 09:09 PM
Skjald will slip outside into the shadows.

[roll0] Hide Check

Glawackus
2007-09-14, 10:05 PM
Erunak

Erunak pauses briefly to mutter something halfway between a prayer for protection and a curse on all elves. Then, he grabs his mace and unslings his shield, and crashes through the door, somewhat past caring at this point.

((Whoo! It's clobberin' time! I think!))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-14, 10:49 PM
*sigh*
Initiative: [roll0]

My action will be to peg one of the elves with alchemist's fire.

[roll1] Attack Roll vs. touch and possibly also flat-footed.
[roll2] fire damage
[roll3] sneak attack damage if applicable.

EDIt- only after a party member does.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-14, 10:50 PM
Edit: ((Skjald, did you just throw alchemists fire at one of the Elves? They're atacking Yalé you know. Are you sure? Awaiting your reply. :-/ ))

((I'll take that as the group wanting to follow the crowd.))

The crowd sprints to the entrance of the palace. The palace itself is a small affair, but lavishly decorated and gilded with Elven skill. A large iron gate stands barring the way the last few guards have long since left, noticing their masters weakness. The crowd looks nervous, most of them are normal people who got carried away. Many edge away from the entrance. A few of them mutter about how it isn't their job to kill people. A small group of Elves ignores them at moves up to the gate. Four in total, there is a female Elf, dressed in motley robes, an upright looking Elf dressed in cheap mail armour with the symbol of Pelor tattooed across his face, a tall, wary looking Elf dressed in camouflaged leathers, and a small Elf in burnished scale armour, whom you recognize from the entrance. You also remember that you saw these four at the forefront of the crowd through Keepers window. They confer quietly, and then burst through the gate, with the crowd cheering them on. Seeing your armour and weaponry and thinking you to be combat ready as well, they egg you on to enter as well.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-15, 05:05 AM
((OOC Update))

plugsy
2007-09-15, 08:13 AM
((OOC: assuming all hell isn't caused by Skjald starting a fight this will be my action))

Rissit:
Rissit follows the crowd, keeping an eye on Kit to see if he has any last minute changes of mind.

Grrth
2007-09-15, 11:17 AM
((OOC: oh lordie, here we go...))

Kit shoulders his way through the crowd and follows the armored elves.

((OOC2: hmm, turns out I don't have what I thought I did, sigh, so it'll be all new - hey, tx, Plugsy, for the dice-rolling thread!))

Calamity
2007-09-15, 11:33 AM
Tamly reluctantly follows Kit and Rissit.

rovinpiper
2007-09-15, 08:13 PM
Cristobal follows with the group trying to stay far from the front, but not at the absolute rear either. He begins to tire quickly. He hasn't done much running while carrying so much equipment. Actually, he hasn't done much running at all.

Hey!...let's slow the charge...down...a notch or... people will start...straggling!

He says, ignoring the fact that he is the only one having trouble keeping up the pace. Within Cristobal weakness battles with fear and, for the moment, fear has the upper hand. He does not want to be separated from the group.

Actions:
1. Cristobal will cast armor on himself as soon as resistance to the advance materializes.

2. Next he will use grease, acid splash, and his weapons as needed to support the atttack.

3. He'll save monster summoning I for the most serious opposition.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-17, 06:21 AM
You all run into the palace, ignoring the less important buildings like the kitchens and dormitories, and head straight for the main center. The main center is made from white marble and tapestries adorn the walls and rugs adorn the floor. The passageway turns into a crossing, ahead leading out of the building. The Elf in burnished scale mail turns to the group.

We'll head this way, and you go that. We don't really know the layout of the palace, so we'll definitely find him if we split up.

Without waiting for your reply, the other group heads down the right passageway.

plugsy
2007-09-17, 07:45 AM
Rissit:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9826/eddardstarkposy9.jpg

Rissit addresses the group in general but especially Kit,
""We'll take the left passageway, shall we?

((OOC: Does this left passage/right passage mean we're still running head and head with the other group in the race to find the artifact. Sure hope so. Hmm))

Rissit (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=25344)
M LN Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +2, HP 8/8, Speed 20ft
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 0
(incls +1WeapFocus) Longsword +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Crosbow, Light (30 bolts) +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Scale mail , Shield, heavy wooden (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 16
Condition None

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-17, 07:16 PM
((No, these aren't the group from Dappled Fields, just other adventurers who just happened to be there. You recognize the Elf in burnished Scale because he was guarding the entrance. Sorry I wasn't more specific :-\))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-17, 08:57 PM
Skjald will follow along, quietly muttering under his breath:

I cannot believe I have gotten involved in a elven civil war. ai ai ai.

Grrth
2007-09-18, 10:14 PM
Kit:

Unencumbered by his heavy armor, Kit races along after the other elves, the words of the ring still echoing in his ears. If they were going to get out of here, then something had to be done about Yale. Plus, if even half of what Keeper said was true, then Yale had a lot to answer for!

He doesn't like splitting up, but he nodds his acceptance to both the attacking elves and to Rissit's question.

"Yes, to the left, but we should wait for Master Hawk. We might need his skills."

He'll wait until Cristobal, Skald, Tamly, Erunak, and Rissit are all there before proceeding, taking point as they maneuver through the palace's echoing halls. For once, his customary curiosity and awe at his surroundings are superceded by his desire to get this task completed. He urges the others to come along, but will make sure they all stay together.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-19, 04:25 AM
You make your way through many winding passages, encountering many dead ends and false alarms, including a few looters who mostly drop their things and/or run off. Most of the passageway appears to be servant quarters and kitchens and the like, and the opulence of the castle seems to be deteriorating. After a while, you appear to have searched every room and passages adjoining the left corridor.

rovinpiper
2007-09-19, 04:45 PM
This is not at all what I pictured storming the castle to be like. This resembles looking for a book that you've misplaced, not the pitched battle I was expecting.

There might be secret passages here. If we aren't careful Yale may slip past us. Maybe we should organize people to stand watch outside in case Yale slips around us.

Glawackus
2007-09-19, 05:24 PM
Erunak

"Cuthbert's cudgel!" Erunak barks, slamming the last door, which betrays only another room in the palace, Yale-less. "Someone else had better stay here. I want a piece of this (he practically spits the word)elf for sending me on a wild goose chase.

He pants for a moment. "No offense, . I'm just getting rather frustrated with this whole thing. Sorry if'n I'm grating. People don't like me when I'm frustrated.

plugsy
2007-09-19, 06:49 PM
Rissit:

Rissit follows Kit keeping his eye and ears open for danger as they proceed.

(OOC:ahh forgot you can't do dice in an edit here, see following post for spo & listen)

Scale mail, Shield, heavy wooden (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Condition None
Domains:War/Good
Spot +7,Listen+3.

plugsy
2007-09-19, 07:02 PM
OOC:This is driving me mad now I have to post again. Oh sod it forget the rolls, I can't be bothered to spot and listen.

Grrth
2007-09-19, 09:21 PM
Kit:

"Yale must be up the other passage," says Kit. He is definitely with Erunak on this one, but he supposes its all for the best, the time having allowed his own temper to cool. He is still angry, but is thinking more clearly now.

"I don't think we ought to split up any more. Let's hurry and see where the others may have gotten to."

((OOC: Lessee, I'll try a listen check to see if I can hear anything from up ahead. Battle should be loud enough ...))

Listen: [roll0]

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-19, 11:57 PM
((Isn't anyone going to go down the other passage?))

Grrth
2007-09-20, 09:04 AM
((Isn't anyone going to go down the other passage?))

((That's where we're heading now, isn't it??))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-20, 08:57 PM
Slipping out of his reverie, Skjald begins making his way back down towards the other corridor, quick as he can on his two short legs.

OOC: Sorry I didn't post for awhile, I was kinda out of it due to toothachestabbingpain and the subsequent tooth extraction.

rovinpiper
2007-09-24, 06:25 PM
So, I think that we are all agreed that we are heading down the passage that the other party took.

(ooc: Please, don't let another adventure die! This one was so cool. In a shocking all of your relatives are dead sort of way.)

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-28, 11:51 AM
((HaHA! The bliss of Holiday is truly a wonder to behold. Granted they surprised me with work to do as well, and It's now about midnight... No matter. I have a REALLY good feeling about the game now. I've been writing little ideas down as they pop into my head.))

You work your way down the passageway, looking in all the rooms, but mainly encountering empty ones. Although on one occasion you stumbled upon a bathing Elven Lady, and recieved a bar of soap flung at you with force that would make a Barbarian bow down in worship. As you continue, you search rest of the remaining rooms until at the end of the passage there is a gilt door adjacent to which are the corpses of two Royal Guards who must have stayed to protect the King.

Glawackus
2007-09-28, 12:32 PM
Erunak

((Man, it feels good to see that COLOR="DarkOliveGreen" again. :smallsmile: ))

Erunak is getting tired of running around, tired of conspiracies, and suddenly wants to take a bath. He stares at the doors like a dwarf sizing someone up before a barfight.

"I'm willing to bet every copper on me where this door goes," he growls.

Grrth
2007-09-28, 01:47 PM
Kit:

Kit stops besides the slain guards, gesturing to the others to stop as well.

"We do not want to burst in there unprepared. If there is anything you wish to do before battle, then do it now."

He'll listen at the door and peer through the crack (if it happens to be even slightly ajar).

Listen: [roll0] and Spot: [roll]1d20+4[/roll

Grrth
2007-09-28, 01:48 PM
((OOC: dang, messed that up, here it is again!))

Spot: [roll0]
((well, that didn't help any, but ^ that was a nice listen check! :smallsmile: ))

plugsy
2007-09-28, 03:21 PM
Rissit:

Looking in one room rissit is narrowly missed by a bar of soap. Never one to waste anything he scooped up the soap and continued. Looking at kit he shrugged and laughed,
"Waste not want not"
Reaching the door he presses his ear against it and listens. Looks arounds and checks the area.

Listen: [roll0] and Spot: [roll1]

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Grrth
2007-09-28, 08:38 PM
Kit:

Turning from the door, Kit faces the others, placing one finger alongside his lips. He whispers, "I can hear one person inside ... and something made of marble?" He shrugs as if to say he hasn't got a clue. "Marble columns, maybe?"

((When everyone's ready, Kit will kick open the door and charge in the direction of that sound.))

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-28, 09:11 PM
Skjald will press himself up against the side of the door as Kit kicks it open, with a flask of alchemist's fire at the ready.

Hide: [roll0]

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-28, 09:34 PM
A strangely metallic male voice rings out from behind the door.

Come in? I wasn't expecting visitors, shouldn't you be burning with the rest of them? Well, open the door, it's not locked. Come on, bring friends, it'll be an outing for all the family.

A deep laugh is heard, a booming Elven laugh, but like the voice, something seems strange about it.

Glawackus
2007-09-28, 09:54 PM
Erunak

Erunak draws his mace and removes his shield from his back. "Yeah, we'll sit down, have a few beers, kick each other's heads in," he mutters.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-28, 10:02 PM
Initiative?: [roll0]

Grrth
2007-09-28, 10:09 PM
Kit:

((oh, geez, yeah, here's init for me))

[roll0]

((instead, when everyone's ready ...))

Shrugging, Kit shoves open the door and strides confidently (or as confidently as he can pretend to be) through the door and to confront whomever it is, shield and weapons at the ready.

((Grr! Why does my init always suck?))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-09-28, 11:26 PM
((So, just continue when everyone's ready?))

Glawackus
2007-09-29, 06:01 AM
//Initiative: [1d20]

Hehe. Silly Glawackus. That's not how you do dice rolls. :smallredface:

1d20

edit: Oh, and you can't edit a post with a dice roll. Of course. :smallsigh:

Glawackus
2007-09-29, 06:05 AM
Initiative (for real for real) : [roll0]

plugsy
2007-09-29, 06:21 AM
Rissit:

Looking through the keyhole Rissit can see into the room beyond, he telle the others
”This is the throne room, it’s pretty plush in there. There’re wall hangings and a carpet leading up to the throne. There’s a pale looking elf sat on the throne and the other party we just saw is in there too. They seem to be in a pretty bad way, possibly dead but certainly down and out.
Passing the buck to Kit he turns and says,
”Maybe we should put weapons away and approach in a more friendly manner. It certainly looks ominous for us whatever we do, that voice doesn't sound much like it will appreciate friendly any more than it will a full scale assault. What do you think?"

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Calamity
2007-09-29, 09:38 AM
((Init for me if needed))

[roll0]

Tamly

I'm not sure Rissit, I think it would be better to keep our weapons ready, we don't know whether it's a trap, but I hve a strong feeling it is.

((EDIT: Yay nice roll for me.))

Glawackus
2007-09-29, 05:41 PM
Erunak

"What's the plan, Kit?" Erunak asks, glancing from the door to his mace and back to the door.

plugsy
2007-09-30, 07:32 AM
Rissit:

Having had a brief whispered conversation with Kit Rissit tries a suggestion,
“Well why don’t we open the door, the strongest two, presumably you and Erunak, go in and the rest of us stay out here and cover the guy on the throne with bows or whatever we’ve got”

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Grrth
2007-10-02, 10:35 PM
Kit:

Inwardly, Kit's shaking in his shoes, but he nudges Erunak, throws his shoulders back, and pushes open the door. He holds his sword-tip pointing down, and advances on the throne.

"I am Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari, and I demand to know what has happened here."

((OOC: detect evil))

Glawackus
2007-10-03, 11:32 AM
Erunak

Erunak, mace at his side, advances right behind Kit with his lips set in a thin line, eyes darting from one side of the room to another.

plugsy
2007-10-03, 01:12 PM
Rissit:

Rissit stands at the door crossbow levelled and readied, aiming straight at the Elf on the throne.

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-03, 09:09 PM
The room before you is about 25ft long with the throne at the opposite end, and made from pure white marble. The Elf on the throne is tall and slender, dressed in fine red robes with white gilt. He has black hair with white streaks in it and green eyes. He looks over the whole group, with a faint trace of amusement on his face. His eyes linger on Kit a moment longer than the rest of you.

Demand? Demand?

The Elf throws his head back and lets out a laugh that seems too deep for his frame that echoes around the room.

I don't think you're in a position to demand. But it is rather unfair isn't it? I know all of you,

He raises his head slightly and looks at Kit again.

Especially you, but you do not know me. How unfortunate. Well, Yale is what they call me here, though it is not what they always called me, so long ago. What they called all of us, so long ago. Ah, but I've said too much haven't I? My friends here,

He indicates the group on the floor, still seemingly incapacitated.

Were getting a bit out of hand, so I had to put them down for a bit. Well, what is it you want here? You shouldn't linger, the palace is made of marble mainly, but those lovely little Elven cottages are burning so well. Perhaps you should go outside and watch? No. I think you were here for a reason. Perhaps like our friends here, you want to take me out of the picture? Or are you looking for your dear king?

He stands up now, and walks about five feet towards you, his footsteps echoing across the room.

Rest assured, he won't be interrupting our little conversation.

Grrth
2007-10-03, 10:30 PM
Kit:

"I don't know who you are or what you're doing here -- but your time of evil tyranny is over!" He'll approach as close as Yale will let him. "What have you done with the King? Let him go at once!"

((sigh))

Let me try a bluff check to seem intimidating ... it's not going to be pretty, but try not to laugh, eh?))

[roll0]
((oh, joy ... :smallsigh: ))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-04, 12:07 AM
As you approach Yale, he does nothing to attempt to stop you.

Hmm. I'm disappointed. That is quite possibly the worst attempt at intimidation that I've ever seen. Ever. And I've been around a while. Well rest assured that the King will not be bothering us. Are you sure that's why you're here? Not here to find your family? Hmm?

You are now directly in front of Yale, and he tilts his head slightly and smiles.

Screamed, they did. Wailed, they did. Died, they did.

He looks up sharply, as if he has sensed something.

Ah, I see you have a link. Give it to me. That fool of gatekeepers brother thought it just a magic ring. Hah. Almost as foolish as the gatekeeper himself. Now. Give it to me.
Yales voice goes deeper than should be possible for a moment, and he appears to concentrate. I said, Give it to me! No reaction? Ah, of course. Descendants and all that. Well, I had hoped to not have to resort to violence, but if you do not give me the Link I shall have to.

plugsy
2007-10-04, 01:14 PM
Rissit:

Rissit staying silent and listening to the exchange approaches slowly keeping his crossbow readied he stops at 15 ft from Yale.

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Grrth
2007-10-06, 08:21 AM
Kit:

Yale's cruel words make Kit tremble harder and bring tears to his arms, but he does not either back up or release the hold on his sword. He is now within 5 feet of the evil sorceror.

When Yale demands the 'link,' Kit spares a glance behind him in confusion. Although terrified, he is not moved by Yale's demands, except to be more determined than ever to kill the evil creature.

((ooc: oh, god, I attack))

"I shall see you dead at my feet, you evil demon!" screams Kit. "I smite thee!"

With my once a day smite evil
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
((sigh, it's a cruel world))

plugsy
2007-10-06, 06:37 PM
Rissit:

((Looks like we're committed then))

Rissit pulls the trigger releasing the tension from the tautly strung crossbow with a loud and reassuring twang.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Crossbow, Light (30 bolts) +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

plugsy
2007-10-06, 06:40 PM
Just realised I didn't roll init
so here it is [roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-06, 07:25 PM
Skjaldbakka

Seeing as the group has committed to engage this clearly superior foe, Skjald is torn between his feelings of self-preservation and his loyalty to this random group of people he doesn't really even know. . . .

His better judgement seeming to have taken a leave of absence, the gnome slips a flask of alchemist's fire out of his belt, and wings it at the enemy, hoping that the foe is as-of-yet unaware of his presence.

Rolls:
Previous Hide roll was an 18
To-hit: [roll0] This is against his touch AC, and possibly against his flat-footed touch AC, if he didn't spot me.
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack Damage: [roll2]

Glawackus
2007-10-07, 01:13 PM
Erunak begins to move towards the reclining elf, knuckles white around his mace.

((I doubt I'm close enough to reach out and touch somebody just yet))

rovinpiper
2007-10-07, 05:07 PM
((OOC: Sorry guys. I thought that this thread was dead so I stopped checking it late last night. Then I thought that I posted last night. Apparently not. Maybe I posted somewhere else entirely. I hope that it is ok to assume that Cristobal entered the throne room along with Rissit. OOC))

Cristobal
Init (1d20+1) 16
I guess there is no turning back now.

Cristobal casts summon monster I to summon a celestial badger. He employs his augment summoning feat to give the badger +4 to strength and constitution.

Badger Stats
hp: 11
ac: 15, touch 14, flat-footed 12
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Attack: Claw +6 melee 1d2+1
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee 1d2+1 and bite +1 melee (1d3+1)
Reach: 5 ft.
Special attacks: rage, smite evil
Special qualities: darkvision 60 ft, resistance to acid cold and electricity 5,
Spell resistance 6.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-08, 08:45 AM
[Calamity has posted no action thus far, so I will RP Tamly myself.]

Seeing that the situation is clearly going to degrade into violence, Tamly acts with lightning speed [Inititative Roll: 20] and with morningstar raised, rushes forward, attempting to close the distance between Yalé and himself so as to strike the evil Elf down with his morningstar, with Erunak only a few steps behind him,[Initiative Roll: 17] seemingly attempting to outrun even the indecipherable arcane words emnating from Cristobals mouth as he prepares his summoning spell [Initiative Roll: 16].

The recent events happening with such lightning speed, the Elfs mouth hangs open, and he can barely dodge, as the bolt from Rissits crossbow [Initiative Roll: 15, Attack Roll: 13] flys over his shoulder, missing him by a handsbreadth.

The container of alchemists fire soars through the air [Initiative Roll:9], only seen by Yalé at the last moment [Sneak Attack], as it thuds solidly into his chest [Attack Roll: 18], bursting into flames and badly burning the evil Elf [Damage Roll: 6, Sneak Attack Damage Roll: 3 = 9 Damage] , and almost igniting the gilt robe he is wearing. Stepping almost instantly back [Initiative Roll: 9], Yalé gesticulates quickly and mutters some incomprehensable words, all the while weaving and dodging to avoid the attack he beleieves will come from Kit, and when Kit's longsword, wreathed in Holy light comes swinging towards him, he is ready, ducking quite nimbly for such a skinny looking Elf. Unfortunately for Yalé though, the Paladins reflexes serve him well, [Attack Roll: 20] and the sword cleaves through the neck of the cursed Elf, his head falling off his shoulders and rolling along the floor of the room slowly.

[I know Kit's attack is not a critical hit as it's not a natural 20, but he only had one hit point left and I thought it was a fitting end.]

Calamity
2007-10-08, 10:15 AM
(OOC: Yeah sorry about, I thought the same as rovinpiper did, unfortunately I didn't see it in time unlike he did)

Tamly

The tyrant is dead, and none are even scratched! Kit, I am sure your family will rest in peace now.

Glawackus
2007-10-08, 10:28 AM
Erunak

"Good fighting, Kit," Erunak says, slinging his mace back over his shoulder. "It's pretty obvious he's dead. Who's gonna check him for important stuff?"

Grrth
2007-10-08, 12:10 PM
Kit:

((ooc: how does Yale's death affect Kit's Detect Evil results?))

Blind to anything but righteous fury and paralyzing fear, Kit puts his whole self behind the strike at Yale. The head goes flying, blood and gore pouring out onto the floor. Chest heaving, Kit stands there for a moment, open-mouthed in shock. He'd been so sure he was about to meet some horribly painful and humiliating demise that the sudden death of his enemy leaves him momentarily stunned.

Having never seen a dead body before, let alone killed someone, Kit drops his sword with a clatter and staggers off to the side, clutching the throne for support. The room spins around him and he's distracted by the nauseating churning in his stomach.

Tamly's words ring in his head. "Rest in peace ... rest in peace ...."

Yale had said they were dead, his family, but how much could he trust that he spoke true? The sheer unfairness of it all hits him now and Kit sucks in great lungfuls of air, trying not to either break down or puke all over the throne room.

He reaches into his pocket and grabs the ring, whispering, "Oh, ring, thou has spoken true, the bitter deed is done. I thank you, my friend."

He lays his head against the cold marble for a moment longer and then collects himself, facing his companions once more.

"Master Hawk, would you be so kind to check for magic upon Yale? I detect vast amounts of evil in him, and in this room. Our unfortunate predecessors," he gestures at the unconscious elves, "also have the taint of evil about them, but it is not from them. While we have time we should see if we can detect where all this evil comes from and we need to find the King."

He collects his sword and, though clearly disgusted, cleans off the blade before sheathing it.

plugsy
2007-10-08, 04:43 PM
Rissit:

Rissit steps over the body and up to the throne which he examines carefully before turning to Kit and saying,
"What is your feeling about this source of evil, any ideas? Maybe if Cristobal finds nothing then I'll give it a check too. We may be able to close this room up and rest so that we can get the ring identified, do you think thats possible or should we keep moving"

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

rovinpiper
2007-10-08, 08:48 PM
((OOC: Has Cristobal now summoned a celestial badger for which he has no use? OOC))

Cristobal finds strangely that fear did not really hit him until after the fighting ended. While it was happening, Cristobal felt like Yale being burned and beheaded was imaginary, as though he were reading about it in a book.

Gods! In a matter of seconds this perffectly healthy person posessing such political and magical power has been reduced to a smoldering and mangled corpse! That could have been any one of us! Or even several of us! I could have been ripped to shreds right here a second ago and the world wouldn't bat an eye!

Cristobal tries to compose himself, but he feels that the shaking in his hands and voice must be plain for all to see and hear.

D-Detect magic? Sure, I can do that. What is top priority, though? Yale, I guess. Followed by the other...uh...rebels, I guess. What about the throne or the ring? I can give three things a detailed inspection and glance at one more, with this spell. I'll have to wait until tommorrow to cast it again.

Hey maybe we should move Yale and the other's closer to one another to...to...(gack)

Cristobal has made the mistake of looking at Yale's mangled form as he talked about moving it. It's too much for him and he coughs a little stream of bile onto the regal floor.

Sorry, bad idea.

Glawackus
2007-10-08, 09:31 PM
Erunak

"They're not dead, are they?" Erunak says, realization dawning on him. He grins. "If we wake 'em up, sure, they'll be in competition with us. But they're going to owe us a solid, too. A pretty big one, considering what we had to do to get here."

Erunak moves over to Cristobal and gives him an awkward pat on the back. "That's alright. Happens to the best of us. Guy I knew, Forks Nassher? He dropped a crateload of sawblades onto some orcs one time, right out a third floor window. He was yarking pretty good after that one."

Grrth
2007-10-08, 10:00 PM
Kit:

Erunak moves over to Cristobal and gives him an awkward pat on the back. "That's alright. Happens to the best of us. Guy I knew, Forks Nassher? He dropped a crateload of sawblades onto some orcs one time, right out a third floor window. He was yarking pretty good after that one."

Kit closes his eyes with a pained expression at Glawackus' attempt to cheer up Cristobal. He's definitely trying to keep from horking himself.

He turns his attention to Rissit. "I saw, just after Yale ... er ... died," he swallows, "some kind of red, cord-like thing coming out of him and coiling that way," he points toward one of the doors leading out of the throne room, "like some strange abberation of a snake. And," he adds after a moment, "the rest of the evil in this room seems gone now, too."

He keeps his gaze averted from Yale's headless body. "We need to keep moving, so if the rebels aren't hurt too bad, we should leave them be and concentrate on finding the king. Do the magic-y thing with Yale, and then let's be gone, we can carry anything with us you're not sure about, Master Hawk."

He's starting to get antsy, remembering that they haven't yet seen hide nor hair of Keeper, who said in his note that he was off to kill Yale, and, too, that Keeper had said he thought that Yale was somehow influencing the King. If the evil that had affected everyone in this room has Keeper in its grip, then the king could be in real danger.

"Hurry," he says, "let's do this and get out of here!"

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-08, 11:46 PM
Skjaldbakka

The gnome slips into the room, wrinkling his nose at the smell of scorched flesh. "Well, I suppose he was really just an arrogant bastard, then. Makes you wonder how he was able to kill those guys," he says, gesturing at the previous group of adventurers.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-09, 02:54 AM
As if on cue, one of the four prone figures snores loudly..

plugsy
2007-10-09, 05:42 AM
Rissit:

Rissit grabs what remains of Yale and drags it across to the sleeping rebels and drops it. He stands back and makes to begin a prayer but before he gets started he pauses,
"Whats that noise, it's coming from over there"
As he moves cautiously across the room to investigate he looks over his shoulder and says to Cristobal
"There you go, see what magic you can find on that lot. As you say we can bring weverything else with us and sort it out later."
He nods at the pile of bodies to indicatge what that lot he's talking about before turning his attention back to his current objective"
"I'm going to check this knocking first though. I have a feeling that it just might be someone who's been immobilised for whatever reason"
Hoping he's right he approaches the area where the knocking emanates from and has a good look.

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

plugsy
2007-10-09, 07:33 AM
Rissit Generally paying attention

Having put the wrong bloody dice syntax in yet again I can't roll now I've edited . Just roll a spot/search/listen if relevant for me plz retttu.

rovinpiper
2007-10-09, 01:38 PM
Cristobal puts his hand over his mouth muffling an odd whimpering noise that he makes as he pulls away from Erunak and his awkward and disturbing attempt at sympathy.

I wanna go home!

Okay. I'll exam Yale and our fellow rebels for magic then.

Cristobal casts detect magic and scans across the group on the floor. After first scanning each member he backtracks to exam in detail those that had magical auras. Yale is his first priority.

plugsy
2007-10-10, 06:11 AM
Rissit:

Arriving at the throne Rissit drops to his knees and begins to investigate beneath the throne,
"It's coming from under here"
He carefully checks the area around the throne's base

spot:
[roll0]

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-10, 04:06 PM
Skjaldbakka moves over to the throne, and gives it a good looking over.

search: [roll0]

plugsy
2007-10-10, 04:54 PM
Rissit:
Rissit finds what he's been looking for, at least he assumes it's the answer. However it's not an entire solution as he proceeds to explain,
"There's a trapdoor here guys. It looks like it's been opened fairly recently but there's a problem. I can't open it because the throne's on it. The throne is solid marble and very heavy so I can't see how we're going to move that. Do you see anything Skjald?"

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Glawackus
2007-10-10, 05:04 PM
Erunak

"I can try to push it off," Erunak comments. "On the other hand, Yale here doesn't look like he's--er, was--pushing any marble thrones around. Must be some kinda switch somewhere."

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-11, 12:31 AM
Skjaldbakka

"There must be a hidden switch somewhere around here." Skjald looks around the room for any sconces on the walls, statues, or other likely places to conceal a hidden switch, and begins to look them over.

search: [roll0]

rovinpiper
2007-10-11, 08:36 PM
There is some sort of magical device in Yale's front breast pocket here. Maybe it relates to the secret passage. I'll take a closer look at it.

Hey, let's not get tunnel vision here. Let's have two people focus on watching our backs while the rest of us try to figure out the tunnel and this device. I think that Erunak and Kit make great choices for guards.

Cristobal pulls on leather gloves, then uses his dagger to cut away Yale's breast pocket. His intention is to examine the magical object visualy before handling it.

Glawackus
2007-10-11, 08:55 PM
"Yeah, sure," Erunak says, walking back towards the doors to the room.

Magic devices now? Erunak thinks. You can take 'em. I'll choose guard duty over screwin' with the unknown any day of the week.

Grrth
2007-10-11, 10:04 PM
Kit:

Busy checking over the unconscious elves, Kit looks up and nods. "I agree with Master Hawk. Let me finish what I'm doing here. What do you think's under that throne, anyway?"

Are the elves stable? I'll do some heal checks just in case ...
Heal 1: [roll0]
Heal 2: [roll1]
Heal 3: [roll2]
Heal 4: [roll3]

And one last question, are any of those elves wearing some light armor Kit can put on? Feeling a bit bare at the moment. :smallbiggrin:

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-12, 12:45 AM
((I wondered why a Paladin wasn't wearing any armour. I thought it was Plate-Mail agogo with you guys?))

[One of the Elves is wearing a cheap-looking Chain shirt, and one is wearing burnished Scale. And stealing armour? Is that a Paladinny thing to do?:smallamused: ]

The Elves on the floor seem not to be in any immediate danger from wounds, although one has taken rather a nasty knock onthe head when they hit the floor. you bandage and apply salve to their bruises.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-12, 01:59 AM
Skjaldbakka

The gnome finishes poking around, looking at various things in the throneroom. He pockets a gold coin he finds wedged into a crack in the wall, "at least this expedition hasn't been a total waste," he mutters under his breath.

Grrth
2007-10-12, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Rettu Skcollob;3334167]((I wondered why a Paladin wasn't wearing any armour. I thought it was Plate-Mail agogo with you guys?))

[One of the Elves is wearing a cheap-looking Chain shirt, and one is wearing burnished Scale. And stealing armour? Is that a Paladinny thing to do?:smallamused: ]

Kit took off his armor when they were at the guard shack. Wasn't exactly time to climb back in it. And there's no telling what trouble the king's gotten himself into, and I'd call it more 'borrowing' than stealing ... but ... [sigh] it kinda makes me nervous to do anyway. Guess he'll consider it, but pass up the opportunity.
After bandaging up the elves, Kit takes up a position near the entrance door, standing guard.

Listen check: [roll0]
"Find anything yet? Think you can hurry up?"

Glawackus
2007-10-12, 11:25 AM
Erunak stands at attention by the door,trying to see as fas as he can down the hallway.

I imagine it's somewhat dark...spot check as well?
Listen: [roll1]

Calamity
2007-10-12, 06:13 PM
Tamly

Have you found anything yet, Skjald? Wait a minute, maybe if...

Tamly looks at the crack in the wall

Skajd maybe that coin was there for a reason. I think that's how Yale remembered where whatever opened the trapdoor was. Take a closer look.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-12, 08:17 PM
"Really? OK, I'll give it a closer look."

search [roll0] Actually, I'll go ahead and take 20, since we seem convinced this is the spot. That gives me a 28, and takes 2 minutes.

EDIT- after a few minutes, Skajld finds the catch and proceeds to trigger it.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-13, 12:15 AM
Ignoring the slot next to the catch, you trigger the catch with your finger. You hear a click, and a grinding sound. Looking back at the throne, you see the top of the right arm of the chair is sliding back, revealing three small catches; one red, one blue, and one green. These fit into the pattern of the chair so well, that you wouldn't know that they were there if you had not seen the chair arms top slide back.

plugsy
2007-10-13, 09:24 AM
Rissit:
Staring intently at the arm of the throne as if it's going to tell him something Rissit gains no insight. Temporarily lost, not knowing how to proceed he concludes that action is the best option when confused. He announces this in his own inimitable way by starting to act whilst telling everyone thats what he's doing,
"Well three buttons to choose from. Red is always danger. Green is always safe. So blue must be for confused, that's me."
His finger moves tentatively towards the blue button as he looks up to see if anyone is about to disagree or stop him.

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Glawackus
2007-10-13, 09:30 AM
Erunak takes a few steps out into the hall to be on the safe side and turns. "Are you sure you should just guess? Maybe Kit knows somethng about this."

Grrth
2007-10-13, 09:37 AM
Kit:

"Me?" says Kit, staring at the throne. "I'm not touching that thing! I've had enough experience getting blasted by foolish pr--" He chokes off what he's saying and turns away abruptly, going back to his post by the door.

"Maybe Skald should look at it, Rissit, before you touch anything. His f-father has a magic shop, right?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-13, 07:29 PM
Skjaldbakka takes a careful look at the button, in an attempt to determine how much pressure would be needed to press it in.

Appraise ? [roll0]

or Search ? [roll1]

plugsy
2007-10-14, 09:26 AM
((OOC: Save me ))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-15, 12:19 AM
((So, I am assuming that he presses the blue button, yes?))

rovinpiper
2007-10-15, 07:16 AM
Look at this! Another ring. Like the one that Yale called what...? A trinket, a bauble.

Cristobal picks up the ring.

What are these rings for? They seem important.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-15, 11:53 PM
((So, I am assuming that he presses the blue button, yes?))

No, Skjald is analyzing the situation. He is trying to figure out if a thrown object could push in a button, or if some kind of pole would be necessary, so as to hit the button from a distance. He is also looking for any traps on the buttons themselves. (Which I should hope he would find with that search check).

plugsy
2007-10-16, 03:31 AM
((OOC: No not presses button, what Skjald said. I should have been clearer, I meant Skjald to save Rissit from pressing the button, so "save me" from myself as it were))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-17, 07:19 PM
((I'll just wait for you to sort out the pressing of the button by yourselves then.))

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-17, 09:33 PM
((I'll just wait for you to sort out the pressing of the button by yourselves then.))

OK.

Skjaldbakka directs everyone to step back away from the buttons, a good 40ft. or so, and then wings a stone at the blue button, pressing it in.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-17, 09:57 PM
((40ft away brings you back into the corridoor))

The stone hits the button dead-on, pressing it in. The stone rolls to the floor with a clatter, but the button remains depressed. A 'Click' is heard, and a grinding sound, as a 10ft by 20ft section of the floor in front of the throne slips into the walls with astonishing speed, revealing a pit about 20ft deep in the gap.

((There is now a 10ft jump to be able to get to either side of the floor that the throne's on.))

Glawackus
2007-10-18, 05:15 AM
Erunak

"Well, I'll be," Erunak says, looking over his shoulder at what's going on. "This is just like the stories my father used to tell me about how the evil king would press a button and whoever was standing in front of him would just fall right down into the dungeons."

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-20, 07:53 PM
Alrighty then, next button!

The gnome takes another stone and wings it at the red button.

Grrth
2007-10-20, 09:54 PM
Kit:

Peering from the corridor into the throne room, Kit marvels at Skald's accuracy and wishes, not for the first time, that he hadn't left his pack at the gatehouse. A bow would come in handy if something came out of that hole. And Erunak's comment is not reassuring in the least.

Still, if there were anyone he'd trust with that bizarre device, the little gnome was it. Kit holds his breath as Skald tosses the second stone, hoping against hope that they'll actually get answers and not more troubles ....

plugsy
2007-10-21, 09:45 AM
Rissit:

Rissit laughs and shakes his head,
"Well who'd had thought that throwing stones could be such a useful skill."

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-22, 05:33 AM
((I won't be able to get to a computer again until Tuesday night. Assume that Skjald hits the last button in the same manner as the first two, once we are finished examining the results of whatever happens from the next button.))

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-22, 06:30 AM
The stone once more flies with perfect accuracy, striking the red button straight on. The button depresses and a click is heard. And another. And another. Suddenly clicks and whirrs are heard from the corridor behind in a multitude. After a few seconds the clicks stop.

((The group can detect nothing visibly different about the corridor.))

Glawackus
2007-10-22, 11:30 AM
Erunak

"I don't like this," Erunak says, not wanting to know what all the noises indicate.

Grrth
2007-10-22, 03:23 PM
Kit:

"I don't like it either."

Kit pokes his head back in the room to see if he notices anything different. He's not going to set foot in that room yet!

spot: 1d20+4

Grrth
2007-10-22, 03:26 PM
grr, dang it!

spot check for Kit: [roll0]

Glawackus
2007-10-22, 04:12 PM
Erunak follows suit, reasoning that curiosity did kill the cat, but (et cetera).

plugsy
2007-10-22, 08:52 PM
Rissit:

Rissit shuffles his feet and shkes his his head,
"I think I'll just stay here and wait to see what happens with the next button. I'm not sure I like the sounds but I'm hoping everything just gets set and reset by different buttons. We should be so lucky"

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Grrth
2007-10-22, 09:33 PM
Kit:

You look carefully and cautiously about the room moving into all the nooks and crannys to better detect anything amiss, but can detect nothing out of place. You are about to give up, until something catches your eye. The slot next to the lever you pulled to move the throne has another lever next to it. You didn't notice it beforehand, so it must have appeared after the button was pressed. It looks identical to the other lever save for a red handle.

((man! all that lead up, and it's just a lever? :smalltongue: ))

"Skald," calls Kit, "Why don't you take a look at this lever?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-24, 04:04 AM
Skjald moves up and carefully inspects the lever.

((takes 20, netting a 28 search check, looking for traps or any clue as to what the level does. If he doesn't find anything, he pulls the lever))

Grrth
2007-10-24, 03:33 PM
If he pulls that lever, or looks like he's going to, Kit's going to run back to the corridor! :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-24, 06:22 PM
After taking a look at the lever, the gnome tilts his head to one side in a quizzical manner, and then jerks the lever perpindicular to the normal path of the lever.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-25, 04:57 AM
Kit runs into the corridor like an arrow, as Skjald makes to move the lever. The aperature slides easily in the horizontal path Skjald pushes it. A click is heard, and then a cacophany of clicks and whirrs identical to the one heard before, but unlike before, seemingly in reverse order is heard from the corridor. As before, silence falls after a few seconds. A small noise is heard, and red button rises from it's depressed position.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-25, 05:03 AM
Skjaldbakka

"Alrighty then, lets try the green button." Skjald will pick up one of the discarded stones, and tag the green button from a corner of the room.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-25, 09:26 AM
((Oh, jeez, I spent 10 minutes typing up what happened and now, an hour or two later I come back and it's not there! I'll retype it later, I can't bear to do it again now.))

rovinpiper
2007-10-25, 03:14 PM
Why sideways? Is the lever booby-trapped against movement up and down?

And are we just pushing buttons and pulling levers at random or does someone have an idea what is happening here?

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-25, 06:58 PM
Skjaldbakka

"As a matter of fact, there was a trap. Trust me, I know what I'm doing."
I hope I'm not lying to him.

Grrth
2007-10-25, 09:55 PM
Kit:

"This magic stuff is the pits."

He peeks back in the room to make sure that Skald is okay.

plugsy
2007-10-26, 05:27 PM
Rissit:

Rissit takes a couple of steps back
"Well if it's trapped I'm just glad you stopped me pressing anything"

Condition None
Spot +7,Listen+3.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-27, 09:16 AM
((I suppose I better retype what happened. *sigh*))

The green button is depressed, and your stone skitters along the floor. A grinding sound is heard, and looking at the throne, you see that the block of stone to the right of it is sinking into the ground, two thin pieces however, stay up, and the solid marble throne stone laboriously grinds along these two pieces, revealing a dusty trap door of ancient knotted wood, contrasting sharply against the otherwise marble room. The throne reaches the end of the two rails and emits a dull boom. The room is once again silent, but for the flickering torches.

((This is only about a third of what happened last time, but I can tell you the rest when you manage to open the trap-door.))

Grrth
2007-10-27, 09:28 AM
Kit:

Kit enters the room again cautiously, clearly torn between investigating further and pressing on. His desire to find the king is ever in the foremost of his thoughts.

"I wonder," he says finally, not touching, but coming closer to peer at the trapdoor, "if this might lead to a dungeon perhaps?"

He seems frightened, but a queer sort of hope is in his eyes, almost begging the others to reassure him.

He turns to Skald: "Can you open it, or do you think it would yield to force?"

((OOC: are the unconscious elves still okay? still unconscious?))

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-27, 11:01 AM
Skjaldbakka

"Give me a minute, and I'll look it over."

Once again aking 20 to search trapdoor for traps and how best to open it.
(28)

Rettu Skcollob
2007-10-27, 01:21 PM
The stone hits the button dead-on, pressing it in. The stone rolls to the floor with a clatter, but the button remains depressed. A 'Click' is heard, and a grinding sound, as a 10ft by 20ft section of the floor in front of the throne slips into the walls with astonishing speed, revealing a pit about 20ft deep in the gap.

((There is now a 10ft jump to be able to get to either side of the floor that the throne's on.))

The Elves on the ground are still prone, yes.

Glawackus
2007-10-31, 11:45 AM
Erunak

"I've had enough of this button pushing," Erunak growls. "If we're sending someone down there, I'll gladly go."

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-31, 11:44 PM
Skjaldbakka

Not finding any traps (presumably), Skjaldbakka will open the trapdoor, and gesture towards the opening.

"Be my guest. I am sure you will be better able to handle anything that might be lurking down there better than I."

((Do I see anything with my Darkvision?))

Grrth
2007-11-01, 11:11 AM
Kit advances with Erunak.

"I'm going, too."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-11-04, 04:05 AM
The ancient wooden trapdoor creaks open and through the small opening you see that there is a smooth stone floor about 20 feet down, with some steps running from the mouth of the trap-door to the bottom. It seems to be brightly lit but you cannot see any light sources. The tapping sound can be clearly heard now, and you hear a low male Elvish sounding voice from quite close singing some sort of song. It has an extremely fast tempo and the tapping appears to be to the rythm of the song.

And so the thin man came to me, and he gave me round rings of three,
and he told me to keep it safe and hid and I quickly did as I was bid,
so kept one hid and carried two and knew that was the right thing to do,
But then another man appeared, with unkempt hair and tangled beard,
and so he ran right up and said to me; "I'm in dire need o' rings o' three!"
I said he could have it when I'm dead, but he went and struck me on the head,
when I woke I had round rings of one, and I wondered what was to be done,
so I roused my myself from earthen bed and bandaged up my aching head, and I asked the earth, I asked the air; "What must I do, I must prepare!"
And at night I was roused from my bed, a demon with foul eyes of red,
demanded that I give him three or told me what would happen to me,
and I wailed and gave up my mind, and left my earthen body behind,
and told him of the things I knew, things I loved and things I rue,
and he walked away and gathered two and I knew what I must do,
I sent the only one I had and gave it to a quiet lad,
And he lived alone and guarded a gate til the demon came with fire and hate,
so here I lie so here I sit, and I care not a whit,
about the demons cursed plans, to conquer far uncharted lands.

((To see more you will have to go down the stairs or poke your head through.))

Glawackus
2007-11-04, 05:52 AM
Erunak

Erunak glances at Kit as if to say, "Still coming?" and trudges down the steps.

Grrth
2007-11-04, 04:57 PM
Kit:

Blanching a little at the off-kilter song, Kit nevertheless steadies his grip on his sword and nods.

"Right behind you."

rovinpiper
2007-11-04, 11:26 PM
Cristobal looks back and forth between the throne room the passage below. He's afraid of doing the wrong thing, but even more afraid of looking stupid in front of everyone.

Don't advance too quickly let's keep each other in sight.

Cristobal follows Erunak and Kit with his crossbow at the low ready.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-11-05, 09:07 PM
You pace slowly down the steps, your footsteps echoing strangely. You find yourself at the bottom of the steps in a brightly lit room about 20' by 60'. The floor is of ancient stone, mainly covered in dust. The walls are of crumbling ancient, knotted wood, and the floor beneath them is covered in wood chips that have fallen off. The wall opposite you features a prominent wooden door. At the each far wall While the room is brightly lit, you can see no light sources, although the light seems to be emnating from small, raised pieces of stone which lie against the walls at even intervals. The steps behind you seem ominously long compared to when you went down. The door on the opposite wall is decorated with a fist sized picture of a candle engraved into the wood with intricate detail. The ceiling is about 10 feet up and is covered with cobwebs. The singing has stopped and ominous silence fills the air for a moment. Then a piercing manic, rasping laugh is heard, and the voice rings out again.

Well, I'm bored now. What shall we do bony?

A few clicks are heard and then the voice rings again.

More songs? Oh bony, I can't sing all the time.

The laugh is heard again, followed by a few gasps.

Time! Haha! I have lots of time!

Click-Click-Click

Oh, of course bony, I mean we have lots of time.

Click-Click

Oh, how can you say such a thing! Of course I'll write you into a song. I'll call it; "Ode to bony". After all, you are my only friend in here. But that nasty Yale took out your tongue didn't he? Well, don't worry, I'll speak for you.

Click-Click-Click-Click-

Glawackus
2007-11-05, 10:01 PM
Erunak

"Who's there?" Erunak calls, part of him dreading an answer, and a more rational part of him looking around for anything out of the ordinary.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-11-05, 11:07 PM
Once again, the laugh rings out across the silence.

Who's there? An boring question. If by who, you mean me, then what part of me? Who I was, who I am, or who I will be? A boring question then. Think of something more interesting to ask, and try again. See me after class young man. Perhaps I could answer that question. Perhaps you should find out yourself? Your eyes can tell you a thousand things, if you've got time to listen.

Grrth
2007-11-06, 12:17 PM
Kit:

All the dust and cobwebs is certainly discouraging, and the talking very creepy, but that there is definitely someone here is tingling Kit's curiosity. He strains his ears to try and pick out which door the mysterious person is behind. If Yale imprisoned this person, then he should be set free, right?

Listen check to see if I can determine where the singing/talking is coming from: [roll0]
a Spot check for anything unusual: [roll1]
and a Diplomacy check, for whatever that's worth: [roll2]
"I am Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari, slayer of the evil villain Yale, at your service, humble sir, and I beg to make your aquaintance, if you should permit me."

Rettu Skcollob
2007-11-07, 03:56 AM
There is a clatter, followed by a long silence, and then;

Ke'Kitathas? Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari? And his companions... Of course. By the Gods... I... I never thought...

Silence once again reigns over the dusty room.

I'm sorry.

The speakers tone has evened out, the slightly manic quality of his voice gone. He speaks heartfeltly.

Turn around. Leave now. This place. This world. It's doomed. Leave it. Go to Dappled Fields. The Government District, if it's still there. The central pillar. Round rings of three. Leave me be. Madness encroaches upon me.

A few clicks are heard, and then the manic laugh is heard again.

That rhymed! Haha! three parts!
And now I speak in verse and rhyme,
Speaking of a different time.
Elvish Lord and Human Peasant,
Hear of times, past and present,
Who am I? Who are you?
Perhaps we are one, not two,
Story Ancient, Teller old,
Telling of the coming Cold,
Seven Sons, of spirit but not blood!
A fiery chariot, beneath the dirt and mud!
Against this foe, who can stand?
Please stand up, please raise your hand!
Six up and one down,
buried in the human town,
What to do, what to say?
A story for another day!
They already have links of two,
But that surely just will not do!
Story ancient, Teller old,
Telling of the coming Cold.

The speaker has regained the worryingly manic quality to his voice and has lost the heartfelt tone he had a moment ago. His voice seems only to even when in this state when he speaks in verse.

Glawackus
2007-11-07, 06:18 AM
Erunak

"I don't think he's going to say anything else useful, I don't think either of us is going to find the traps that've surely been placed on that door, and I don't think it's wise to bring the others down, either," Erunak says, shaking his head and turning to leave, clearly upset at what he's seen.

Grrth
2007-11-07, 11:57 AM
Kit:

"Wait!" Kit grabs Erunak by the arm. "We can't just leave him here! What did that mean? Who is he? Does he kn-know ...?" He cuts himself off, face drawn in anguish.

After a moment or two to pull himself back together, Kit asks, "Shouldn't we at least try?"

Glawackus
2007-11-07, 12:19 PM
Erunak

"Fine," Erunak mutters, rolling his eyes a little. He calls back up the stairs.

"HEY! THERE'S A GUY DOWN HERE! COME DOWN, BUT WATCH OUT FOR TRAPS!"

"What's with the candle on the door, anyhow?" he comments.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-07, 06:23 PM
Skjaldbakka will head down there and take a look at the door.

28 search check.

Rettu Skcollob
2007-11-14, 04:44 AM
((Sorry it took so long to reply! My computer had hard-drive issues and died.))

[I]From behind the door, running footsteps coming closer towards you sound out, followed by a female voice sounds out. It has a the musical tone most Elves have in their voice, and has a strangely youthful quality to it.

You? Why are you still here? Our bonds are broken, we're free now! Free from our ageless tombs! We can escape this world!

The speaker from before speaks out again, with the same manic tone. As before.

Free? Haha! Freedom! I longed for that, long ago. Now I don't long for anything. I'll stay here thank you very much. Do you know, I was once offered singing lessons, but I said "You'll never get a chance to use them!" Hahahahaha! Go now, leave me be, perhaps the people outside will be more fun. Bye-bye shadow girl, and don't touch the candle flame! You're not all that's imprisoned here you know!

Others?

A shuffling is heard, and then silence.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-15, 05:28 AM
Skjaldbakka

A cold chill runs down Skjaldbakka's spine, and fear can be heard in his voice, though he tries to sound confident. "We . . . should really be going."

(I didn't get the search results, but I don't think they matter at this point. I have also realized that I don't seem to have stats, which I plan to rememdy shortly)