PDA

View Full Version : College of Symphonies (balancing help requested!)

8-bit Avery
2018-03-14, 08:10 PM
I had an idea for a bard that was like an orchestra conductor, but I've been having troubles trying to figure out how to apply the idea mechanically. So I made a subclass.

The College of Symphonies: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkXSIxRgtz

I'm sure it needs tweaking, or maybe it just doesn't work mechanically at all, but that's why I'm here. To figure that out.
Thanks in advance!

PopeLinus1
2018-03-15, 08:16 AM
Really cool! Homebrew People are probably going to find some flaws, but still, really cool.

nickl_2000
2018-03-15, 09:04 AM
Dropping it here as well since I don't know if you saw it in the 5e forums

There are some major issues and power differences here.

To Powerful:
Guitar
Being able to get advantage on all saving throws and ability checks for all time at level 3 is almost silly powerful

Lute
You have advantage on all attacks for a minute after it is summoned. Then you dismiss it and summon it as a bonus action during the next combat. There is no limiting factor here really, thus making it very powerful for multiclassing where you can get multiple attacks

Pan Flute
So every time you summon this you get up to 25 temp HP? Again, it's to much considering that you can do this pretty much at will.

To Weak:
Lyre
One casting of guidance per long rest? This will be used since guidance is awesome, but it's still super weak compared to others

Violin
Same as the Lyre.

The others seem fine to me, they may not scale all that well, but will still be useful.