PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Hero (feat for noncasters)

rferries
2018-03-16, 03:15 AM
Legendary Hero
You have bathed in dragon's blood, learned the art of skin-changing, or gained some other special power through great deeds in battle.

Prerequisites
See below.

Benefits
You gain one of the special abilities listed below (provided you meet the requirements). Caster level is equal to your character level for all effects.

Ability
Prerequisites
Effect

Adamant Mind
BAB +15
(or Slippery Mind)
You gain mind blank as a constant supernatural ability.

Berserker
BAB +11
You may use transformation at will as a supernatural ability.
You may use this ability as a free action whenever you enter a barbarian rage.

Champion
BAB +11
You gain greater heroism as a constant supernatural ability.
The temporary hit points from this effect are refreshed at the start of every encounter.

Crusader
BAB +7
(or Aura of Courage)
Add your Charisma bonus as a morale bonus to the attack rolls, Armour class, saves, and skill checks of all allied creatures (not including yourself) within 300 feet that can see, hear, or otherwise perceive you.

Destined
BAB +11
Add your Charisma bonus as a luck bonus to your saves and Armour Class.
Treat all natural rolls of 1 on the d20 as natural rolls of 20.

Dragon's Blood
BAB +11
You gain damage reduction/magic equal to your character level and immunity to one energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic).
Add your Constitution bonus as a natural armour bonus to your Armour Class.

Planeswalker
BAB +13
You may use greater teleport and plane shift (willing creatures only) at will as supernatural abilities.
You have the [Extraplanar] subtype only when it would be beneficial for you.

Seer
BAB +9
You gain true seeing as a constant supernatural ability.

Seer, Greater
BAB +17, Seer
You gain foresight as a constant supernatural ability.

Spirit Warrior
BAB +7
(or rogue level 7th)
You may use greater invisibility at will as a supernatural ability.

Spirit Warrior, Greater
BAB +13
(or rogue level 13th), Spirit Warrior

While invisible, you may also choose to become incorporeal.

Shapeshifter
BAB +7
You gain the [Shapechanger] subtype.
You may use polymorph (self only) three times per day as a supernatural ability.

Shapeshifter, Greater
BAB +17, Shapeshifter
You may use shapechange at will as a supernatural ability.

Special
A fighter may select Legendary Hero as one of his fighter bonus feats.

You may select Legendary Hero more than once, each time choosing a new ability.

rferries
2018-03-16, 03:16 AM
Rationale
Fantasy often has creatures and heroes with one magical ability but no others -the ogre from Puss-In-Boots (original story) could change his shape, the Beastmaster controlled animals, Hercules had superhuman strength, and so on. A caster might well take this feat, but even if they don't they can duplicate it easily with their own spells. Therefore, this feat benefits noncasters more, or at least helps narrow the power gap (albeit only slightly).

nonsi
2018-03-16, 12:03 PM
Incorporeality at 13th level is way too soon. Etherealness is a 9th level spell for a good reason.

Morphic tide
2018-03-16, 12:19 PM
I utterly fail to see why this is a single feat, as there's absolutely no mechanical reason I can think of to have an option list like this in one feat if the feat lacks a baseline effect tied to the abilities. There aren't even consistent prerequisites!

rferries
2018-03-16, 01:56 PM
Incorporeality at 13th level is way too soon. Etherealness is a 9th level spell for a good reason.

I based it off of ethereal jaunt.

I utterly fail to see why this is a single feat, as there's absolutely no mechanical reason I can think of to have an option list like this in one feat if the feat lacks a baseline effect tied to the abilities. There aren't even consistent prerequisites!

Full disclosure: it's a single feat because once I had drawn up the list of abilities I couldn't bring myself to write them all up as individual feats - was too lazy haha. It's handwaved, I agree - I can write them up individually if you wish but I'd rather see if there's more interest first.

The prerequisites are roughly "the BAB at which a martial character would be the same level as a spellcaster that could cast the spell effect". I made some alternatives based on other class features, to add a bit of flavour.

They're very powerful, yes, but then many feats are underpowered considering how precious a feat slot is.