PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Warlock, Cure Wounds, and Healing Elixir

Rebonack
2018-03-17, 12:27 PM
Okay, so. Cure Wounds is on the Celestial Warlock's expanded spell list. Cure Wounds is also notoriously bad. Doubly so because of the Warlock's limited spell slots. That's why their healing light ability got shifted from level 14 to level 1 (a wise choice, I would say). Healing a handful of HP is a pretty low impact use of a Warlock slot, especially when they get a decent pool of bonus action heals. Arguably you could spin the short rest slot recovery as being a good source for 'out of combat healing' but there are already pretty ample resources for approaching that problem (just not with a warlock).

This all got me thinking about Healing Elixir, a level 1 Warlock/Wizard spell from UA that didn't make it into the guide to everything. For those that didn't see it, the spell creates a basic healing potion (2d4+2 healing) that lasts for 24 hours. Takes ten minutes to cast one. I ran a Warlock a while back with this spell and it actually worked out brilliantly. They could use any travel downtime to create a few potions for use in or out of combat. Great way to take full advantage of the warlock's short rest spell recovery. Bonus points for using a familiar to administer the potions in the heat of battle.

So, that brings us back to our pal the Celestial Warlock. Cure Wounds feels like a VERY poor fit for how a warlock casts. Healing Elixir fits VERY nicely with how a warlock casts. So to that end, would the Celestial Warlock work better with a spell like Healing Elixir on their expanded list in place of Cure Wounds? Obviously Healing Elixir needs some work (doesn't scale, lasts 24 hours and thus encourages Coffeelock) but I feel like it would make a pretty great replacement for an otherwise iffy spell choice. And re-fluffed as manna (or what have you) it would fit the flavor the Celestial Warlock is trying to hit as well.

What do you guys think? Does Healing Elixir have any potential as a celestial warlock-only spell?

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-03-20, 09:14 PM
Healing Elixir is an extremely interesting spell, one that caught my eye as soon as I saw it. Why it didn't make it to Xanathar's is beyond me. I think its biggest problem is the fact that it doesn't scale over time, something that is completely wasted for the Warlock class, who can pick Cure Wounds and get more out of it by casting it with their "pact-slots." If the elixir healed more with better slots, it would be the definitive healing spell, at least early on.

If it isn't going to scale over time, it should be a cantrip.

Talionis
2018-03-20, 09:39 PM
Cure Wounds is worth taking if a Warlock can. No it's not your best choice most of the time but it gets better as your slots increase and it can be a good use of a spell in many builds when you focus on melee or you save the spell and are going into a short rest it's often the best use of the slot.

MrWesson22
2018-03-20, 09:39 PM
You are aware you can cast touch spells at range through a familiar, right? Sure, cure wounds is still an action vs a bonus for healing word, but it is still a lot more healing as well.