PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kobold Variety Pack!

KoboldBoy
2018-03-19, 08:31 PM
Howdy!

I feel that Volo's guide was a bit harsh on Kobold PCs, even with tools like Pack Tactics and "wet-yourself-as-a-distraction"(which, while accurate, is a bit painful to use without reflavoring it).

So, I changed it up, and added variant features! Tell me what you think, since I'm not confident in my balancing abilities.
_________

I kept the DEX modifier, Darkvision, and distraction ability were left alone, but I removed the STR penalty and changed Pack Tactics:

> You may choose to gain advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of your allies had attacked it during their last turn. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

I opened up the condition to allow for allied ranged attacks, allowing it to trigger even if the kobold is the sole frontliner; however, it still works from the back rows as well. In exchange, I limited it to a single use per rest.

Because of this, however, I felt that it was necessary to remove Sunlight Sensitivity, since the kobold could end up being at constant disadvantage, since there wouldn't be constant advantage to cancel it out.

"Okay cool," I said to myself after doing this. No real drawbacks any more, and it's balanced pretty well, I think. But... 't's a bit bland, ain't it?

So, I came up with variants that would give a little more character to your Kobold!

Trapper
> You are proficient with tools for the purpose of disarming and setting traps. You must have the necessary materials on hand, and you cannot move a trap once it is set.

Slippery
> You have a bonus of +2 to rolls for the purpose of escaping bindings, grapples, etc. You may also move at normal speed while squeezing through tight spaces or traversing difficult terrain, as opposed to half-speed.

Jittery
> Whenever you take damage, you may move 5 feet in any direction without provoking opportunity attacks. You have a bonus of +2 to initiative rolls.

Tenacious
> You may add your proficiency bonus to your death saving throws. You have a bonus of +2 to Constitution saving throws.

Confident
> You have Confidence dice equal to your Charisma modifier/2, rounded up, with a minimum of 1. Whenever you make an attack roll, damage roll, or Charisma check, you may roll 1d4 and add the number to the result. You regain Confidence dice after completing a long rest.

Mighty
> You count as two sizes larger for the purpose of wielding heavy or oversized weapons.

What I'm trying to do with the variants is give players more flexibility/flavor in terms of playstyle.

For example, although the Slippery and Jittery traits both support a scout or skirmisher playstyle, a Slippery kobold would be more sneaky/calm/*suave* than an anxiety-prone/excitable Jittery kobold. A Tenacious kobold could be brave, or terrified of death. Being as cowardly as they are, a kobold wouldn't say something like "I can kill that troll" unless it was Confident that it could.

... Mighty was kind of a joke, but the imagry is still amazing.

My mind wandered a bit at some point and I got to thinking--are there other species of Kobolds?

After some searching, I found 2: Dragonwrought and Urds.

Dragonwrought Kobolds are thought to be descended from true dragons, possessing larger statures and more draconic appearances.

I was going for a more nimble Dragonborn(+2 DEX, +1 CHA). It has the Draconic Ancestry and Damage Resistance features, but instead of having a breath weapon, the Dragonwrought Kobold has a Draconic Surge.

> As a bonus action, you can invoke the power of your draconic ancestor. Your draconic ancestry determines the effect of the surge, which lasts a minute.

Black/Copper - When attacking a creature for the first time that turn, reduce its AC by your proficiency bonus until your next turn.

Blue/Bronze - Once per turn, whenever you deal damage to a creature, you may instantly move up to 15 feet away. If a creature is within 5 feet of your new location, you may deal Lightning damage equal to double your proficiency bonus to it and any other creatures within 5 feet of you.

Gold - When being attacked by a creature within 10 feet of you, the attacker must succeed a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened until the end of its next turn.

Green - Whenever you damage a creature with an attack, the creature must make a DC10 + your proficiency bonus Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage and must repeat the saving throw at the start of each of its turns. On each failed save, the creature takes one-step greater damage than the previous turn(1d4 → 1d6 → 1d8 → 1d10 → 1d12 → 2d8). The poison wears off after 3 successful saves.

Red/Brass - Whenever you deal damage to a creature, you may add your proficiency bonus to the damage dealt. If multiple creatures are dealt damage by a single spell, choose one target for the bonus damage.

White/Silver - Increase your AC by your proficiency bonus.

After using your Draconic Surge, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

I'm not sure how Draconic Surge compares to the Breath Weapon, so words on this would be appreciated. I've also considered adding Darkvision, just to make the Dragonwrought more in line with the base Kobold.

Urds, also known as Cliff Kobolds, are a winged subspecies of kobold that hunts by jumping from a high cliff and swooping down on prey.

They have a +2 DEX modifier, as well as several abilities:

Flight
> You have a flying speed of 20 feet. This speed increases to 40 while you are not wearing medium or heavy armor.

Nimble Flier
> If you are falling or knocked out of flight, you may use your reaction reduce your fall speed to 60 feet per round, and take no fall damage upon landing. To use this feature, you can't be wearing medium or heavy armor.

Predator Dive
> If you are in the air, you may fall any distance on your turn as a free action. Your flying speed becomes equal to the distance that you fell until the end of your turn. As an action, you can perform a diving attack that deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 20 feet of flying movement you have remaining.

If you want a more nocturnal flavor, upgrade Darkvision to Superior Darkvision, and add Sunlight Sensitivity.

I feel that Predator Dive could be better worded.

Thoughts? Criticism? Please share what you've got!

brian 333
2018-03-19, 08:49 PM
Miner
The kobold hails from a band of miners, gaining the Stonecunning ability but also being penalized by sunlight.

KoboldBoy
2018-03-20, 08:26 AM
Miner
The kobold hails from a band of miners, gaining the Stonecunning ability but also being penalized by sunlight.

Stonecunning seems interesting, but what do you mean by penalized by sunlight? Sunlight Sensitivity?

I want to try to avoid penalizing player's decisions; rather than discouraging a playstyle, it's better to encourage them. It's the same reason why I removed the STR penalty and made Pack Tactic more versatile--players are given the opportunity to stat into Strength, and kobolds can frontline for a group without being deprived of a powerful ability.

Sunlight Sensitivity makes it difficult to do much unless it's dark, especially since I limited Pack Tactics to once per rest.

brian 333
2018-03-20, 11:03 AM
Stonecunning seems interesting, but what do you mean by penalized by sunlight? Sunlight Sensitivity?

I want to try to avoid penalizing player's decisions; rather than discouraging a playstyle, it's better to encourage them. It's the same reason why I removed the STR penalty and made Pack Tactic more versatile--players are given the opportunity to stat into Strength, and kobolds can frontline for a group without being deprived of a powerful ability.

Sunlight Sensitivity makes it difficult to do much unless it's dark, especially since I limited Pack Tactics to once per rest.

My intent was to create a type which remains sensitive to sunlight because its kind never leave their mines. If the player chooses this subrace she does so knowing there is a disability, but hopefully the character's experience underground makes up for it. Perhaps add Subterranean Survival to the mix as well.