PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Otherworldly Patron: The Frostbound

Matrota
2018-03-21, 03:01 PM
I made a 5e patron based off of the Frozen Watchers (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Watcher) from League of Legends, as I have an iceborn (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Iceborn) character I'd really like to play in D&D and was told warlock or blade singer would be the closest thing I could get in terms of matching my character's fighting style. I'd like to make sure that it seems well-balanced, so I came here to get feedback and advice.

Otherworldly Patron: The Frostbound
Your patrons are a collective of otherworldly beings, those known as The Frostbound, beings of immense power with indiscernable origins. They come bearing powerful gifts, asking only to be repaid through eternal loyalty. The Frostbound are patrons of the cold, and have been known to aid groups of people located in the most frigid regions of the world to grow and to prosper. Many ancient civilizations were built under their guidance. Warlocks affected by The Frostbound’s blessing have mastery over ice, and are known to be adept at shifting forms. There are rumors that powerful warlocks under the tutelage of The Frostbound can even attain immortality.

Expanded Spell List:
The Frostbound lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st level: Fog Cloud, Ice Knife
2nd level: Snowball Storm, Pass Without Trace
3rd level: Elemental Weapon, Sleet Storm
4th level: Ice Storm, Divination
5th level: Cone of Cold, Contact Other Plane

Bonus Cantrips:
At 1st level, you learn the frostbitten blade (see below) and chill touch cantrips. They count as warlock cantrips for you, but they don’t count against your number of cantrips known.

Debilitating Curse
Starting at 1st level, you can invoke the powers of the cold to slow an enemy’s reactions. As an action, choose an enemy you can see within 30 feet. That enemy must make a constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. On a failed save, that target cannot take any reactions until the start of your next turn. You may use this ability a number of times per short/long rest equal to your proficiency bonus.

Mastery of Ice
Starting at 6th level, your link to The Frostbound allows you to delve deeper into the secrets of ice magic. You have resistance to cold damage and don’t suffer the effects of extreme cold. Whenever you deal cold damage, you may add your charisma modifier to the damage dealt against one enemy affected by this damage.

Perfect Impostor
Starting at 10th level, you gain proficiency in the deception skill. If you are already proficient with deception, you add double your proficiency bonus to it. In addition, whenever you are under an effect that changes your appearance (Such as disguise self, alter self, or polymorph), you may choose to double the duration of this effect. This ability is usable once per short or long rest.

The Greatest Gift
Starting at 14th level, your service, devotion, and loyalty to The Frostbound has earned you their greatest gift of all - that of immortality. You no longer age, and you are immune to magical aging. In addition, you only need to succeed on two death saving throws to stabilize.

Frostbitten Blade:
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and ice creeps onto their flesh, damaging them and hindering their movement. Until the start of your next turn, the next attack roll made against this target by someone other than you has advantage.
This spell gains an additional effect at 5th level, dealing an extra 1d6 cold damage to the target creature. This cold damage increases by 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.

ShadowSandbag
2018-03-23, 04:14 PM
Overall i looks good! I think that the Frostbitten Blade cantrip is a little strong, but it is in line with Booming and Green-FLame Blade, its just those are also a bit above the curve. The level 10 ability also seems a little odd, it doesn't seem to relate to the other abilities or the overall ice theme