PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Giant Dwarves (race)

rferries
2018-03-24, 06:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/KdmPV6Z.jpg
Sample giant dwarves, above. Note the extreme and bizarre sexual and racial polymorphism.

Giant Dwarves
Physical Description: Giant dwarves are truly an alien race. They can be described as tall dwarves or small giants - roughly the same size and shape as an elf but slightly taller and lacking pointed ears. Like true dwarves, male giant dwarves can grow beards but females sadly cannot.

Society: Giant dwarves are the youngest and shortest-lived of the races, but for all that they have built magnificent kingdoms and empires and are easily the dominant civilisation of our times.

Relations: Giant dwarves can be an amiable race, capable of brokering alliances with almost any other. However, they are just as capable of war (even amongst themselves).

Alignment and Religion: Giant dwarves have no tendency towards any particular alignment, not even Neutrality. They can inspire, corrupt, defend, and ruin in equal measure.

Adventurers: Giant dwarves are a driven and ambitious race. All the of the greatest heroes (and most malevolent villains) are invariably giant dwarves.

Giant Dwarf Racial Traits
+2 Intelligence, +2 to any other ability score, -2 to any ability score (including Intelligence): Individual giant dwarves are truly unique, moreso than individuals of any other race. They are generally clever (but not necessarily wise).

Humanoid: Giant dwarves are humanoids with the [Human] subtype. ;)

Medium: Giant dwarves are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Stride of the Giant Dwarf: Giant dwarves have a base land speed of 30 feet.

Adaptable (Ex): Giant dwarves gain 4 bonus skill points at first level and one bonus skill point at each additional level.

Bonus Feat (Ex): Giant dwarves gain Able Learner as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Favoured Class: All. A giant dwarf does not suffer XP penalties for multiclassing.

Languages: Giant dwarves begin play speaking Common. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages such as druidic).

Level Adjustment: +0.

Racial Feats
Improved Able Learner
You are an (idiot) savant.

Prerequisites
Giant dwarf, Able Learner.

Benefits
You may use any skill untrained.

Greater Able Learner
You can master any skill.

Prerequisites
Giant dwarf, Able Learner, Improved Able Learner.

Benefits
All skills are considered class skills for you (regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have invested in each skill when you select this feat).

Giant Dwarf's Inspiration
Although they would never admit it, your allies from the older races find your company heartening.

Prerequisites
Giant dwarf, character level 6th.

Benefits
Add your Charisma bonus (if any) as a morale bonus to the attack rolls, saves, and skill checks of all your allies within 30 feet that can see, hear, or otherwise perceive you. This bonus does not apply to yourself or other giant dwarves.

Giant Dwarf's Leadership [Fighter]
You have the makings of yet another giant dwarf legendary hero.

Prerequisites
Giant dwarf, Giant Dwarf's Inspiration, character level 6th.

Benefits
For the purpose of the Giant Dwarf's Inspiration and Giant Dwarf's (P)luck feats, use your Charisma bonus (if any) or your number of [Fighter] feats, whichever is greater.

The morale bonus from the Giant Dwarf's Inspiration feat applies to giant dwarves (including yourself).

Special
A fighter may select Giant Dwarf's Leadership as a bonus fighter feat.

Giant Dwarf's (P)luck
You have an justified optimism during your adventures - things always seem to turn out well for you in the end.

Prerequisites
Giant dwarf, Giant Dwarf's Inspiration, character level 9th.

Benefits
Add your Charisma bonus (if any) as a luck bonus to your attack rolls, Armour Class, saves, and skill checks.

Whenever you roll a natural 1 on a d20, treat it as a natural 20 instead.

Debihuman
2018-03-27, 09:34 AM
Not sure these have any dwarf traits at all. Frankly they aren’t giant dwarves as they are Medium size.

These aren’t a bad race, just the name is entirely wrong for them.

rferries
2018-03-27, 05:21 PM
Not sure these have any dwarf traits at all. Frankly they aren’t giant dwarves as they are Medium size.

These aren’t a bad race, just the name is entirely wrong for them.

Ha they were intended as a joke race but I think I made it too complex - they're just supposed to be variant humans :D

Goaty14
2018-03-28, 01:25 PM
Ha they were intended as a joke race but I think I made it too complex - they're just supposed to be variant humans :D

Maybe...
-Half-Dwarf
-Stoutmen
-Mountainfolk

jqavins
2018-03-28, 02:26 PM
I think the name is fine for the joke. I suspected it must be a joke as I started reading, but then as I read through the racial feats I thought "What the heck is he doing with this?" Just stop after the Racial Traits section. Remember, "brevity is the soul of wit."

noob
2018-03-28, 03:55 PM
The inspiration feat is said to not give bonuses to other giant dwarves.
But is a giant dwarf his own other giant dwarf?
Because if he is not he benefits from the boost to rolls as long as he is not far from itself.

rferries
2018-03-28, 05:13 PM
Maybe...
-Half-Dwarf
-Stoutmen
-Mountainfolk

All good suggestions but I think I'll stop here, most of the feats were meant be be human archetypal abilities rather than an actual new race.

I think the name is fine for the joke. I suspected it must be a joke as I started reading, but then as I read through the racial feats I thought "What the heck is he doing with this?" Just stop after the Racial Traits section. Remember, "brevity is the soul of wit."

Sage advice!

The inspiration feat is said to not give bonuses to other giant dwarves.
But is a giant dwarf his own other giant dwarf?
Because if he is not he benefits from the boost to rolls as long as he is not far from itself.

The feat definitely wasn't meant to benefit yourself, I've made that explicit now.