PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Evolving Magical Items

Voltage89
2018-03-28, 07:05 PM
Hello everyone. Im working on some magical items for my campaign and I just completed the first two. I am very new to this so I wanted someones opinion of it. I used some inspiration from The Staff of Woodlands and Matt Mercers items from his campaign guide. The idea is that some sort of quest has to be completed in order to enhance the staff and dagger to the next level. The item should move up to the next tier certain levels. Tier 1 around level 5 or 6, tier 2 around level 10-11, and tier 3 to around 15-17. So here it is! Thanks!

Spire of The Caretaker
Wondrous Item (Requires Attunement by a Druid)

This powerful relic is passed down through the Firbolg clan of Helligbror. It was created thousands of years ago when the giants and titans ruled over part of the continent. It was used in order to free the Firbolg's from the titan's and giant's rein. This weapon seemingly has no magical powers upon first inspection.

Tier 1
This spire reaches tier 1 whenever an evil giant who enslaves others is slain in the presence of the wielder. The wielder must then return to the shrine of his people and place the spire on the alter.

* While holding this staff, you gain a +1 to spell attack rolls.
* This staff has 6 charges. You can use an action to expend 1 or more charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: Speak with Animals (1 Charge), Animal Messenger (2 Charges), Speak With Plants (3 Charges). The staff regenerates 1d4 charges at dawn.
* Tree Form: You can use an action to plant one end of the staff in fertile earth and expend 1 charge to transform the staff into a healthy tree. The tree is 60 feet tall and has a 5-foot-diameter trunk, and its branches at the top spread out in a 20-foot radius. The tree appears ordinary but radiates a faint aura of Transmutation magic if targeted by Detect Magic. While touching the tree and using another action to speak its Command, word, you return the staff to its normal form. Any creature in the tree falls when it reverts to a staff.

Tier 2
This spire reaches tier 2 whenever
* Increase your spell DC by 1.
* Increase the number of charges to 10. Add these spells to the spell list: Ice Storm (4 Charges), Conjure Elemental (5 Charges). The Staff Regenerates 1d6+1 at dawn.
* Tree Form: The tree now has a small magic door on the trunk of the tree. This door is invisible to anyone who does not see the Tree Form spell cast. Adventuring through the door will allow creatures to find a ladder within the tree. Going up the ladder, a creature will find a large tree house that is fully furnished.

Tier 3
* Increase your spell attack and spell DC to 2.
* Increase the number of charges to 14. Add these spells to the spell list: Wall of Thorns (6 Charges), Fire Storm (7 Charges). The Staff Regenerates 1d8+2 charges at dawn.
* I would like to add some sort of additional tree form here but I am not sure what it would be.

The Faceless Shadow Dagger
Wondrous Item, Requires Attunement
This dagger is a gift from the Faceless Shadows. The dagger deals 1d4 shadow damage to any target hit by it. It appears to be just a regular dagger, but upon ascension, the dagger gains increasingly strong powers.

Tier 1
* You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are able to become one with the faceless shadows. You choose a target that you see within 60 feet. A shadow appears behind the target and you instantly teleport behind them. A shadow now stand where you first were. You can only use this twice per long rest.
* The dagger is imbued with shadow energy. You deal an additional 1d6 damage when you hit a target with this weapon. This damage is doubled if you use the above ability and teleport from more than 40 feet away.

Tier 2
* You have a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are able to use the faceless shadow ability three times per long rest. The range is increase to 90 feet. You are now able to teleport back to your original location where a shadow was formed as a bonus action on this turn.
* The shadow energy damage is increased to 1d8.

Tier 3
* You have a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are now able to use the faceless shadow ability four times per long rest. The range is increased to 120 feet. You are now able to teleport back to your original location as a bonus action for 1 minute. This ability now can be used to teleport to any shadow within the range.
* The shadow energy damage is increase to 1d10.

ChaoticHarmony
2018-03-29, 01:58 AM
Hello everyone. Im working on some magical items for my campaign and I just completed the first two. I am very new to this so I wanted someones opinion of it. I used some inspiration from The Staff of Woodlands and Matt Mercers items from his campaign guide. The idea is that some sort of quest has to be completed in order to enhance the staff and dagger to the next level. The item should move up to the next tier certain levels. Tier 1 around level 5 or 6, tier 2 around level 10-11, and tier 3 to around 15-17. So here it is! Thanks!

Spire of The Caretaker
Wondrous Item (Requires Attunement by a Druid)

This powerful relic is passed down through the Firbolg clan of Helligbror. It was created thousands of years ago when the giants and titans ruled over part of the continent. It was used in order to free the Firbolg's from the titan's and giant's rein. This weapon seemingly has no magical powers upon first inspection.

Tier 1
This spire reaches tier 1 whenever an evil giant who enslaves others is slain in the presence of the wielder. The wielder must then return to the shrine of his people and place the spire on the alter.

* While holding this staff, you gain a +1 to spell attack rolls.
* This staff has 6 charges. You can use an action to expend 1 or more charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: Speak with Animals (1 Charge), Animal Messenger (2 Charges), Speak With Plants (3 Charges). The staff regenerates 1d4 charges at dawn.
* Tree Form: You can use an action to plant one end of the staff in fertile earth and expend 1 charge to transform the staff into a healthy tree. The tree is 60 feet tall and has a 5-foot-diameter trunk, and its branches at the top spread out in a 20-foot radius. The tree appears ordinary but radiates a faint aura of Transmutation magic if targeted by Detect Magic. While touching the tree and using another action to speak its Command, word, you return the staff to its normal form. Any creature in the tree falls when it reverts to a staff.

Tier 2
This spire reaches tier 2 whenever
* Increase your spell DC by 1.
* Increase the number of charges to 10. Add these spells to the spell list: Ice Storm (4 Charges), Conjure Elemental (5 Charges). The Staff Regenerates 1d6+1 at dawn.
* Tree Form: The tree now has a small magic door on the trunk of the tree. This door is invisible to anyone who does not see the Tree Form spell cast. Adventuring through the door will allow creatures to find a ladder within the tree. Going up the ladder, a creature will find a large tree house that is fully furnished.

Tier 3
* Increase your spell attack and spell DC to 2.
* Increase the number of charges to 14. Add these spells to the spell list: Wall of Thorns (6 Charges), Fire Storm (7 Charges). The Staff Regenerates 1d8+2 charges at dawn.
* I would like to add some sort of additional tree form here but I am not sure what it would be.

Wondrous Item, Requires Attunement
This dagger is a gift from the Faceless Shadows. The dagger deals 1d4 shadow damage to any target hit by it. It appears to be just a regular dagger, but upon ascension, the dagger gains increasingly strong powers.

Tier 1
* You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are able to become one with the faceless shadows. You choose a target that you see within 60 feet. A shadow appears behind the target and you instantly teleport behind them. A shadow now stand where you first were. You can only use this twice per long rest.
* The dagger is imbued with shadow energy. You deal an additional 1d6 damage when you hit a target with this weapon. This damage is doubled if you use the above ability and teleport from more than 40 feet away.

Tier 2
* You have a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are able to use the faceless shadow ability three times per long rest. The range is increase to 90 feet. You are now able to teleport back to your original location where a shadow was formed as a bonus action on this turn.
* The shadow energy damage is increased to 1d8.

Tier 3
* You have a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
* You are now able to use the faceless shadow ability four times per long rest. The range is increased to 120 feet. You are now able to teleport back to your original location as a bonus action for 1 minute. This ability now can be used to teleport to any shadow within the range.
* The shadow energy damage is increase to 1d10.

I like these items, and I totally dig the idea of 'evolving' items.

For the Tier 3 tree form abilities, here are a couple of thoughts. For an additional 5 charges, have the Tree form become a Treant controlled by whomever is currently within the tree house. If that isn't enough, give the controller the ability to use their class abilities through the Treant( ex. Druid uses the Tree form to set up fort. Barbarian climbs inside. Druid activates treant form. Treant is controlled by barbarian, treant is able to use that barbarian's rage ability and rage powers).
Another option, give the Tree house teleportation for 5 charges. The tree recedes into the ground with its occupants in tow(unharmed the entire time of course) and regrows in the selected location

nickl_2000
2018-03-29, 07:47 AM
I've always like evolving magical items. They stay relevant and fun all the way through instead of being tossed when something better comes along.

Spire of The Caretaker - Be careful in your campaign not to give other items that will increase spell DCs and spell attacks as the combination could get out of hand quickly. Not a criticism, more a caution.

Final Tree Form:
-You could have it create a Heroes Feast inside the treehouse for extra charges spent, although that may be to much even at the higher levels.
-You could have it replicate Xanathar's Druid Grove effects

The extra damage should be necrotic, it just fits the theme better.

This is awkward phrasing and confusing to me how it works. I think you need to explain it better.

Also, I think the dagger progression is a little lackluster compared to the Staff. The Staff gives new abilities with each new tiers, where as the dagger just makes the abilities you have better (don't get me wrong, they would be awesome, especially for a Dex fighter which is who would be wielding this in my party). I would personally add an ability with each tier.

Tier 1 you get 1d6 necrotic damage
Tier 2 the dagger absorbs some of the essence of the creature you just killed and uses it to bolster the wielder. When you strike a killing blow with the dagger, you gain 1d8 temp HP.
Tier 3 Twice per day you may call forth magical darkness from the dagger (as per the darkness spell), the creature attuned to the dagger can see through this darkness as if it were normal daylight. This could be something else, but it's thematic and would be effective is many cases.

Voltage89
2018-03-29, 08:43 AM
I've always like evolving magical items. They stay relevant and fun all the way through instead of being tossed when something better comes along.

Spire of The Caretaker - Be careful in your campaign not to give other items that will increase spell DCs and spell attacks as the combination could get out of hand quickly. Not a criticism, more a caution.

Final Tree Form:
-You could have it create a Heroes Feast inside the treehouse for extra charges spent, although that may be to much even at the higher levels.
-You could have it replicate Xanathar's Druid Grove effects

The extra damage should be necrotic, it just fits the theme better.

This is awkward phrasing and confusing to me how it works. I think you need to explain it better.

Also, I think the dagger progression is a little lackluster compared to the Staff. The Staff gives new abilities with each new tiers, where as the dagger just makes the abilities you have better (don't get me wrong, they would be awesome, especially for a Dex fighter which is who would be wielding this in my party). I would personally add an ability with each tier.

Tier 2 the dagger absorbs some of the essence of the creature you just killed and uses it to bolster the wielder. When you strike a killing blow with the dagger, you gain 1d8 temp HP.
Tier 3 Twice per day you may call forth magical darkness from the dagger (as per the darkness spell), the creature attuned to the dagger can see through this darkness as if it were normal daylight. This could be something else, but it's thematic and would be effective is many cases.

That was actually my first thought about the dagger. I thought the abilities per pretty awesome but it didnt seem to get anything new except for teleporting back to the shadow. Do you not think the damage should increase or am I just reading you wrong? Also I really think the idea of the darkness spell is awesome so I added it.

nickl_2000
2018-03-29, 08:58 AM
That was actually my first thought about the dagger. I thought the abilities per pretty awesome but it didnt seem to get anything new except for teleporting back to the shadow. Do you not think the damage should increase or am I just reading you wrong? Also I really think the idea of the darkness spell is awesome so I added it.

Personal opinion here.

No the damage increase isn't required. The average damage on a 1d6 is a 3.5, average on 1d8 is 4.5 and 1d10 is 5.5. So, by changing the die you are adding 1 extra damage per hit on average per tier. Honestly, it's pretty minuscule compared to giving other abilities. The major extra damage from this will also come from the wielder getting to attack more often as they level up. Although given that the damage difference is pretty small, if you want to made the damage increase and give something else I don't see that being that big of a deal.

Voltage89
2018-03-29, 01:36 PM
Personal opinion here.

No the damage increase isn't required. The average damage on a 1d6 is a 3.5, average on 1d8 is 4.5 and 1d10 is 5.5. So, by changing the die you are adding 1 extra damage per hit on average per tier. Honestly, it's pretty minuscule compared to giving other abilities. The major extra damage from this will also come from the wielder getting to attack more often as they level up. Although given that the damage difference is pretty small, if you want to made the damage increase and give something else I don't see that being that big of a deal.
Do you have any ideas for the names for the tiers?

nickl_2000
2018-03-29, 01:42 PM
Do you have any ideas for the names for the tiers?
I'm horrid with naming, but here a shot at it.

Shadow Strike

Shadow Absorption

One with the Shadows

FreddyNoNose
2018-03-29, 01:55 PM
I am trying to remember the article from Dragon Magazine with sword named freddy that was third level. IIRC, perhaps it was something else.

But I like the idea for special items.

There is also the idea that rather than the item, it is something that goes with the character. Like catspaw is the named weapon that gains experience but you can replace the sword with another one, say after losing or breaking it, and it will have the same benefits.