PDA

View Full Version : Summoning druid advice

Wraithy
2007-08-31, 11:49 AM
I'll make this clear: I do not want an optimised character.
our DM has made the druid balanced, or at least in his eyes.
regardless of whether or not I agree with him, my backup character is probably going to be one.
our DM has outlawd natural spell, gotten rid of the scimitar and all armour proficiencies, and possinbly even a hit die decreace (not confirmed).
so I've decided to play a druid summoner, maybe with 1 level of master of many forms for s*its and giggles.
any recommended feats or other things?
books I have access to: core books, Complete adventurer, races of the wild. I also have partial access to more books than I can name (collectively our group has almost all of the complete series, and alot of other books), so if there is a feat from a book I haven't mentioned, say it anyway, the liklihood is that we've got the book its from.
thanks in advance

OneWinged4ngel
2007-08-31, 12:08 PM
I'll make this clear: I do not want an optimised character.
our DM has made the druid balanced, or at least in his eyes.
regardless of whether or not I agree with him, my backup character is probably going to be one.
our DM has outlawd natural spell, gotten rid of the scimitar and all armour proficiencies, and possinbly even a hit die decreace (not confirmed).
so I've decided to play a druid summoner, maybe with 1 level of master of many forms for s*its and giggles.
any recommended feats or other things?
books I have access to: core books, Complete adventurer, races of the wild. I also have partial access to more books than I can name (collectively our group has almost all of the complete series, and alot of other books), so if there is a feat from a book I haven't mentioned, say it anyway, the liklihood is that we've got the book its from.
thanks in advance

Honestly, he hasn't really done a whole lot to balance the druid. Armor proficiencies don't actually matter much without ASF. A hit die decrease doesn't really matter much (losing 1 or 2 hp per level isn't a big deal), and who cares about a scimitar? You've got spells and special abilities! And he still has Wild Shaping into everyone's favorite ridiculous dinosaur, even if you have to cast your spells before switching over. And you still have your powerful animal companion.

The druid is not only going to still be totally playable, but he'll still be one of the best around.

Personally, I think the DM might want to consider a rather easy fix from the PHB II (the Shapechange variant curbs a lot of problematic druid abilities, getting rid of natural spell, crazy-amazing forms, and animal companions. And yes, even with that, you will be one of the most powerful classes around because you cast up to 9th level spells.)

tannish2
2007-08-31, 12:22 PM
take armor proficiency (light) just to piss him off, get some wild armor buff it to +5 and have fun with your wild shape.

kjones
2007-08-31, 12:24 PM
Augment Summoning seems like an obvious choice.

Person_Man
2007-08-31, 12:30 PM
Play a Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine. Spontaneous casting off of the Druid's list, plus a Spirit Companion and some interesting special abilities. You're still a full caster (hint - buy the Spell Compendium if you think Druid spells are weak) and thus powerful. But you don't have Wild Shape, which is what everyone argues against when they want to nerf Druids.

Or, if you desperately want Wild Shape, play a variant Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger). Essentially a Druid with full BAB but nerfed casting. Take one of the Wild Shape feats (Frozen, Abberation, Exalted) to expand your Wild Shape forms, and you're set.

Wraithy
2007-08-31, 01:00 PM
I've allready suggested the wildshape ranger, my group practically killed me for it. one of us owns the spell compendium.
what book is the spirit shaman in?

Thinker
2007-08-31, 01:25 PM
I've allready suggested the wildshape ranger, my group practically killed me for it. one of us owns the spell compendium.
what book is the spirit shaman in?

Play a Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine.

He answered your question.

Josef
2007-08-31, 01:27 PM
Complete Divine, I think.

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-31, 01:35 PM
In my near-worthless opinion, Spirit Shaman is about the only good thing from Complete Divine that didn't need fixing elsewhere. It's a very fun, and flavorful class, with lots of interaction with the Fey.

If you're going with the nerfed druid, be sure to prepare plenty of spells that you'll need only in a pinch, because you can drop 'em for summons that can cover just about all of your other needs. Need healing? Summon Unicorn. Need a blaster? Summon elemental. Need to tank? Summon a bunch of big freakin' bears and then use Animal Growth for the win.

No Natural Spell means that you won't be insanely uber, but you'll still be only a step down from a Batman Wizard in power.

Wraithy
2007-08-31, 01:37 PM
oh dear, my intelligence score seems damaged, I hope it wasn't drained.
hmm, that was one of the books my group didn't get.
thanks for the suggestion anyway

Leon
2007-08-31, 01:49 PM
If you dont mind the multi class: Arcane Heirophant (RotW) (Druid/Conjurer for the Summon's)

No armour - no worries, numerous Arcane Armour buffing spells abound and if your willing to lose the Wildshape to take the Hunter Variant you get you wisdom bonus to AC and eventually the Monk AC bonus + Faster movement, Favoured Enemy and Tracking.

Also if your willing to Burn a feat on it you can pick armour Prof back up - AH allows for Arcane Casting in "Druidic Type Armour"

Natural Spell is no loss nor is the sword - get yourself a Longspear and keep out of the main line

As a Full Caster your still doing well on a d6 HD

Natural Bond is a good one for having a Higher level Animal at a lower level
Companion Spellbond - Share those spells at 30ft

SC is the WIN - Oodles of spells to make a Full caster happy (even more for a Dual full caster)

Play a Small Race and Ride your mount - Whisper Gnome or Halfling (WG cos they are the Only good gnome and are cool or Halfling for the Racial Druid Sub)

Aquillion
2007-08-31, 02:29 PM
Agree with the above--this isn't really much of a nerf. Honestly, if you're just interested in being "playable" and not "optimized", you don't need any advice... unless I'm missing something, even without natural spell, you still have full wild shape, full animal companion progression, and full spellcasting when not in wild shape. The weapon restrictions don't matter at all, since you're going to wild shape when you want to fight up close anyway... the armor ones matter slightly more, but still not so much.