PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew race

LordDeath666
2018-03-31, 02:55 PM
Could I get help finding a free website to create a home brew race for D&D (edition doesn't matter) and also get tips for making my own race.

jqavins
2018-03-31, 03:12 PM
You've already found it. :biggrin:

yarrowdeathbloo
2018-03-31, 03:17 PM
Could I get help finding a free website to create a home brew race for D&D (edition doesn't matter) and also get tips for making my own race.

Like jqavins said this would be the site is their anything in particular that's stumping you? I would be more than happy to help.

JNAProductions
2018-03-31, 07:00 PM
You've already found it. :biggrin:

Hear hear! Brew away, young novice!

LordDeath666
2018-03-31, 11:01 PM
What I'm looking for is a website that has the info to build like d20pfsrd for pathfinder but for d&d

jqavins
2018-04-01, 12:15 AM
Well, I assume you know the following:

Pathfinder and D&D 3.5e are 90 to 95 percent the same.
www.d20pfsrd.com (http://www.d20pfsrd.com)
www.d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org)
www.dandwiki.com (http://www.dandwiki.com)

Other than those, every time I use Google to look for some odd rule, for a completed homebrew I can steal, or for advice, 3/4 of the results (and nearly all of the good ones) are right here.

If you're looking for somethimg else, something that the people here can't provide, then I'm afraid you haven't made it clear what that is. "[T]he info to build like d20pfsrd for pathfinder but for d&d" is pretty vague, but I can't think of anything fitting that description that I would not come here for.

Why not give us a shot? Ask a question about this race brewing that you need answered. If you don't have a specific question formed, say what you're stuck on or where you feel the holes in your knowledge lie.

rferries
2018-04-01, 02:02 AM
What I'm looking for is a website that has the info to build like d20pfsrd for pathfinder but for d&d

Unfortunately 3.5 doesn't have quite the resources that Pathfinder does when it comes to racebuilding, but as Jqavins says most of the material from the Pathfinder racebuilder can be translated to 3.5. Pathfinder has a higher power-level though, so an equivalent 3.5 race might have to dip into Level Adjustment to match the races there. It also helps to look at existing 3.5 races (core races, drow, planetouched, etc.) and the Level Adjustment Reassignment thread in the 3.5 forum here for ideas of relative power.

First though, you need a race concept. Did you have anything in mind?

LordDeath666
2018-04-01, 10:39 PM
I'm looking for a four armed plant race that boosts the strength attribute

LordDeath666
2018-04-02, 01:04 AM
I know how to create pathfinder races I just need to find a site that gives me the materials to make a race for d&d
(Hope this is clearer in what I'm looking for)

ShiningStarling
2018-04-02, 01:07 AM
Well the thri-kreen have 4 arms, so that might be a good place to start. However the plant type has a lot of immunities and interesting properties, and anything that strong might merit racial HD as well, so LA will definitely be a consideration.

As far as materials to make new races, there are no official sources, so a good ole eyeballing and referencing existing races will have to make do on that front.

LordDeath666
2018-04-02, 03:08 PM
What immunities does plant typing give you.

rferries
2018-04-02, 03:13 PM
What immunities does plant typing give you.

Plants get:

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

What I do when I homebrew a nonhumanoid race is give them my "Mortal" subtype:

Mortal (Ex): This creature lacks the immunities normally granted by virtue of its type. It may be raised by raise dead and similar effects, regardless of its type. Furthermore, a creature of this type may only assume humanoid forms when using the alter self spell.

Then I give them a small racial bonus on things they would normally be immune to (e.g. a +2 racial bonus on saves against poison), and finally I brew a bunch of racial feats to allow them to gain the immunities of their type (e.g. a feat to gain immunity to critical hits, a feat to improve the racial bonus against poison to immunity to poison, etc.).

If they're still too powerful, LA+1 is always a helpful balancing tool.

jqavins
2018-04-02, 03:56 PM
I know how to create pathfinder races I just need to find a site that gives me the materials to make a race for d&d
(Hope this is clearer in what I'm looking for)
Ah. What wasn't clear to me, and this is mostly if not altogether my bad, was that you meant canon for the creation of custom PC races (as opposed to just a web site with some sort of handy race editor for building up plus this and minus that). As ObliviMancer stated, D&D has no such canon, so I guess its existance in PF is part of the five to ten percent.

I must have seemed quite thick. Sorry about that.