PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Can 4-5 low-op level 10s defeat a Adult Red Dracolich?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-02, 06:49 PM
So I'm going to be running some very short scenarios soon as part of an event. Like...less than 1 hour. I know there are a decent number of relatively experienced players that might be there, and I want to offer them a hard combat challenge as an option. I have the published pregens for levels 1-10.

I also have a red dracolich mini that I've always wanted to put into play. That brings up a question.

If the dracolich is faced alone in it's lair as the only fight of the day, can 4-5 level 10 characters with no magic items reasonably hope to defeat the beast?

Assuming (without stating it out) that it's a CR 18 creature, that's 20k XP, well into deadly for either 4 or 5 players. For 4 players it's about 2/3 of the daily XP budget; for 5 it's about half.

I'm not the most tactically-minded of DMs, and I'm not particularly trying to kill the characters, if that matters.

Tiadoppler
2018-04-02, 06:58 PM
For a 1-combat 1-shot that's meant to be a tough battle, I'd aim inexperienced players away form Short Rest based classes. Monk and Warlock are great over the course of an average ISO-standard adventuring day, but will suffer badly compared to Long Rest classes' novas and casting options.

Otherwise, keep in mind that a single high-CR enemy may very well be able to oneshot your party's PCs. Save or Die isn't that much fun unless you really like quick ends to combat. For a 1 hour game, it might be totally fine.

If you're denying the players the chance of using magical weapons, either avoid non-magical weapon resistance/immunity, or tell the players beforehand that weapon damage will be nerfed heavily.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-02, 07:00 PM
For a 1-combat 1-shot that's meant to be a tough battle, I'd aim inexperienced players away form Short Rest based classes. Monk and Warlock are great over the course of an average ISO-standard adventuring day, but will suffer badly compared to Long Rest classes' novas and casting options.

Otherwise, keep in mind that a single high-CR enemy may very well be able to oneshot your party's PCs. Save or Die isn't that much fun unless you really like quick ends to combat. For a 1 hour game, it might be totally fine.

If you're denying the players the chance of using magical weapons, either avoid non-magical weapon resistance/immunity, or tell the players beforehand that weapon damage will be nerfed heavily.

I'm AFB, do you know if the dracolich has resistance to non-magic damage? It's not that I'm denying them, it's that the pregens don't have magic weapons at level 10.

MaxWilson
2018-04-02, 07:12 PM
Yes, it can be done. Is it guaranteed? No. That's right about the point where Pc's are looking at about 50% chance of losing unless they do something clever.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-02, 07:14 PM
Yes, it can be done. Is it guaranteed? No. That's right about the point where Pc's are looking at about 50% chance of losing unless they do something clever.

I think I'll offer it for the experienced players and flag it as "high difficulty." I'll let them run if they want to :smallamused:

Thanks.

Unoriginal
2018-04-02, 07:31 PM
It's *possible* for them to beat it.

Is it *likely* though? Can't say. There is too many factors to take into account.

It will be an interesting fight in any case.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-02, 10:01 PM
It's a really bad scenario to run newer players through because they 1: won't know basics of the game 2: will feel overwhelmed by the options their characters have 3: will get frustrated because they will perceive their predictable failure as a personal one.

It's tempting to run new players through intense scenarios so they can see how awesome D&D can be, but it's important to remember that they need to build up system knowledge to appreciate it.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-03, 03:47 AM
I'm AFB, do you know if the dracolich has resistance to non-magic damage? It's not that I'm denying them, it's that the pregens don't have magic weapons at level 10.

An adult red Dracolich does not have immunity or resistance to non magical weapons.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-03, 04:56 AM
It's a really bad scenario to run newer players through because they 1: won't know basics of the game 2: will feel overwhelmed by the options their characters have 3: will get frustrated because they will perceive their predictable failure as a personal one.

It's tempting to run new players through intense scenarios so they can see how awesome D&D can be, but it's important to remember that they need to build up system knowledge to appreciate it.

This wouldn't be for new players. This one is for the pool of experienced players I have. I've got a bunch of others for the new ones.

Deadandamnation
2018-04-03, 05:25 AM
Dracolich is just an archetipe, It depends which dragon It was when alive.

A young blue dracolich is a CR 10. A though battle but with full resources could be a breeze, depending on the classes.

UA ranger hating Undead get +4 to any damage against him. While a sorcerer based on lightning will deal 0. Those are just examples.

MrWesson22
2018-04-03, 05:29 AM
It is all going to depend on dice rolls. The problem with your group facing one overly high CR creature comes with the creature's high AC/HP, saving throws, and attack bonus/damage. What happens if everyone in the party just fails their save against the high DC frightful presence over and over? Misses most of their attacks because of the high AC? Can't do anything with their spells because of high saves and advantage on saves? No thanks. That just sounds like an overly frustrating fight at best, a TPK most likely.

Spore
2018-04-03, 05:37 AM
Highly unlikely. If the group meets beforehand and builds their team to a common tactic, the chances increase. I feel a "ball" of melee is most powerful (Ancient Paladin and a Devotion Paladin with overlapping auras along with a Light Cleric) with one backline caster, maybe a Bard to enhance the group further (and have a third caster of the one horribly OP Paladin healing aura spell).

EvilAnagram
2018-04-03, 06:10 AM
Dracolich is just an archetipe, It depends which dragon It was when alive.

It says, "Adult Red," in the title.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-03, 07:09 AM
It says, "Adult Red," in the title.

And that because I happen to have a mini for it that I've wanted to use.

It seems there consensus is that it's a bit much. I may do a "stop the ritual to create one" fight or a "you partially disrupted the ritual so it's weak, now go to its lair and finish it" one. Dunno.

nickl_2000
2018-04-03, 07:15 AM

It seems there consensus is that it's a bit much. I may do a "stop the ritual to create one" fight or a "you partially disrupted the ritual so it's weak, now go to its lair and finish it" one. Dunno.

There are lots of way to weaken an enemy. Maybe it's been a long day for the dracolich and it has a level of exhaustion. Maybe it's been in a fight today already and has expended it's legendary resistances. Maybe it's a little beaten up from a previous fight and hasn't been able to long rest and get all it's HP back.

Any one of those can make a huge difference in a fight.

Spore
2018-04-03, 07:28 AM

Sounds like a good start. I would disallow any lair actions then since it is not its lair. Maybe it is fighting you reluctantly and trying to free itself from its creator's will (giving you a valve to not go full on against the heroes). Maybe it wastes attacks on cultists and has to use some of its legendary resistance to escape the mental control of the cabal leader. Maybe the decay has taken its toll and some of its limbs are not recoverable.