PDA

View Full Version : Warlock (hexblade) + Sorcerer

pdrocrf
2018-04-04, 08:04 PM
i'm quite new in dnd, and wanted do a sorlock or even a pure hexblade build, in a optimal way, how i do it? pls

@edit: i plan on going meele, but if just don't work i can go blaster too

Xihirli
2018-04-04, 08:23 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide&highlight=multiclass+guide

Sorcerer/Warlock and Warlock/Sorcerer are both exceptionally powerful multiclasses. Start with Sorcerer for Concentration Check proficiency or Warlock for Wisdom proficiency (really good, tough call). The further you take Hexblade the better you'll be with melee, the further you take Sorcerer the better your casting and metamagics will be.

Neither of your classes grant you an extra attack so you'll want the Booming and Green Flame Blade cantrips.

Snowbluff
2018-04-04, 08:31 PM
Neither of your classes grant you an extra attack so you'll want the Booming and Green Flame Blade cantrips.

Warlock Bladepact can give extra attack.

Ganymede
2018-04-04, 09:05 PM
I can't wait until the OP shares his new Sorlock character, the "Nameless King."

kardar233
2018-04-04, 10:05 PM
If you want to fight in melee I think you want to start by going Hexblade 5 right away. That gets you access to your second attack as soon as possible and gives you a solid casting base to work from. From there, go at least to Sorcerer 3 for metamagic and definitely get Quicken. This means you can, say, make two attacks and then Quicken Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade for a third. I would strongly suggest getting War Caster as soon as possible. From there, level how you like. I think you probably don’t want to go further than Warlock 7 or maybe 9.

I would probably go Divine Soul as your Sorcerer origin. Cleric has some lovely combat spells like Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians which would work well for you. Draconic is also decent if you intend to do a bit more blasting.

Later on I’d consider a two-level dip in Paladin, which gives you Divine Smite (lovely) and a Fighting Style.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-04-04, 10:31 PM
I can't wait until the OP shares his new Sorlock character, the "Nameless King."

LOL

He is using the "sneaky mage" approach.

Xihirli
2018-04-05, 12:11 AM
Warlock Bladepact can give extra attack.

Nevermind then. Get that.

MrStabby
2018-04-05, 01:18 AM
I think two levels of warlock is still best. Invocations two short rest spell slots. The hexblade level 1 spells are great for a melee character.

With cha to hit for both eldritch blast and booming blade you can be powerful either in or out of melee.

I think sorcery points are so important I would look to max sorcerer levels. Twinned and empowered can be a good starting point. Personally I like subtle and careful but might be less of a fit for you. Twin and empowered let's you get a lot of uses from your SP, I find this a rewarding element of the class.

Beltas
2018-04-05, 06:23 AM
I think two levels of warlock is still best. Invocations two short rest spell slots. The hexblade level 1 spells are great for a melee character.

Don’t forget that that Hexblade ability to use CHA for melee attack/damage only applies to one-handed weapons until you get your pact blade at level 3. Most will want a pole arm for PAM and GWM.

But arguably Hexblades really come into their own when they hit level 5 and get extra attack and smite.

Snowbluff
2018-04-05, 06:49 AM
3rd level also improves the spell slots to 2nd level, which as a sorcerer you can convert into real slots.

MrStabby
2018-04-05, 01:09 PM
Don’t forget that that Hexblade ability to use CHA for melee attack/damage only applies to one-handed weapons until you get your pact blade at level 3. Most will want a pole arm for PAM and GWM.

But arguably Hexblades really come into their own when they hit level 5 and get extra attack and smite.

I know, but with most of your levels in a spellcaster I would suggest that you might have a concentration spell up, having a shield to minimise probability of failing a save seems a sound investment. Going from a d8 to a d12 will add on average a tiny amount over two damage per turn (assuming hits). Twinning a booming blade will add in the order of 14 damage at level 6 (assuming you get no movement benefit) so 7 turns of combat (not counting actions used to cast levelled spells) to recoup that damage that you gain by having one more sorcery point. Oh, and you also get your new access to higher level spells if you take the sorcerer level.

Jethro
2018-04-05, 04:02 PM
1 sorcerer
7hexblade
X suit to fit

Shadow of Moil will be your best spell for surviving and not pissing off your party. Con save proficiency and a couple slots for shield and absorb elements is a big boon too. IMO, worth that 1 level delay of second attack. After that you can go more sorcerer for metamagic and spell lots or more hexblade for more melee synergy. It’s a fun build.

Beltas
2018-04-05, 04:35 PM
Going from a d8 to a d12 will add on average a tiny amount over two damage per turn (assuming hits).
You don’t take a polearm for the larger damage die; you take it for the feats.
Pole Arm Master and Great Weapon Master add a whole lot more damage than the measly 2 damage per hit from the die.

MrStabby
2018-04-05, 05:20 PM
You don’t take a polearm for the larger damage die; you take it for the feats.
Pole Arm Master and Great Weapon Master add a whole lot more damage than the measly 2 damage per hit from the die.

So this is really only relevant if you are going to really high levels then? Where you can afford to take these feats?

Taking warlock to three kind of means you probably want 4, to pick up that feat... or else it is delayed by three levels. And your ASI to up your wisdom is delayed by 3 levels and so on. Really not worth it.

By the time you can get GWM, PAM and boosted CHA to use them you should have enough spell slots that needing to take the attack action because you are out of other options is pretty much in the past.

Beltas
2018-04-05, 05:46 PM
So this is really only relevant if you are going to really high levels then? Where you can afford to take these feats?

Taking warlock to three kind of means you probably want 4, to pick up that feat... or else it is delayed by three levels. And your ASI to up your wisdom is delayed by 3 levels and so on. Really not worth it.

Agree that if you go to three, you may as well go to four. Further, if you go to four, may as well go to five for the extra stuff there. As for “really high levels” I guess that depends on the type and duration of your planned campaign.

Mikal
2018-04-06, 07:07 AM

You can have em both by level 4 if you're variant human, 8 if you're anything else. Not that high level...

Actually you'll want to take Warlock to 5 or 7 usually, for the reasons already stated, so you could technically take Warlock to 8 and get them both then if you go the Half Elf route.
All assuming that your rolls work out and you can delay your Cha boost, which unless you're unlucky you generally can.

By the time you can get GWM, PAM and boosted CHA to use them you should have enough spell slots that needing to take the attack action because you are out of other options is pretty much in the past.

Which goes to show that you don't understand the thrust (heh) of this build, which is that using the attack action is the main point of it, not "I use attack when I have nothing else left in the gas tank".

MrStabby
2018-04-08, 09:40 AM
Which goes to show that you don't understand the thrust (heh) of this build, which is that using the attack action is the main point of it, not "I use attack when I have nothing else left in the gas tank".

Don't understand which build? Seems a bit disingenuous to suggest a different build aiming to do something different then to suggest i don't understand it because I suggest that a different route is better. If you want to use the attack action for damage and ignore the other opportunities, then that's fine - but don't pretend it is the only way to do things or that it uniquely the best.

The great thing about a sorlock is that if you build it right you can get great efficiency from your resources and in the vast majority of days you needn't run out of anything, at least past about level 6 or so. Of course if you can pick up 4+ short rests per day then warlock is great to have more of - but this kind of thing is a bit campaign dependant.

strangebloke
2018-04-08, 03:45 PM
Ultimately, if you're doing this, you'll want at least one level of hexblade and three levels of Sorcerer.

If you care about polearms etc., go five levels in hexblade before dipping Sorcerer. No point in getting cool weapons of you're only getting one attack a round. Maybe you take the first level in Sorcerer for CON saves but i wouldn't. After that point you can take either Sorcerer or hexblade levels

Otherwise, you can take a level in Sorcerer, one or two levels in hexblade, and then go Sorcerer the rest of the way.

Any of these builds will be perfectly effective.