PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class New spin on the Generic classes

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-09, 10:48 AM
so this is what i have so far. the idea is to create a complete idea without multiclassing and level dipping though i know it will take out some of the balancing mechanics out. i am thinking about making a few more templates or adding each of the main categories like hit die saves skills and such as class features and give them each a separate value of number of features or turn the whole thing into a point system like the Class Construction Engine by Shadowcraft Studios. the problem with doing the point system and balancing is that i would have to rate or at least go through every class feature which would leave no time for me to play. the other problem i will run into is figuring out a classification system based on how powerful each feature is and narrowing down the different types of abilities, like Shadowcraft Studios does.

Now, you may ask why not just use the Class Construction Engine?
answer: i would if i had the time to go through each feature available and rate them and create a chart for it so that i know exactly what features are classified as. the problem that exists is i don't have time to do that. the problem with the Shadowcraft Studios stuff is that it is meant to create features from scratch and to make a homebrew class as where i am just using existing stuff and rearranging it.

Features for the base classes:
Over 20 levels of experience, there will be 40 class features, with a max of three features for each level. The only features you are allowed to have are base class features. You can have any class feature of your character's level or lower at every level, though i am putting a limit on how many different ability to ac, you can have two. Class features that get upgraded over time will have to be taken once and it starts at that level. For example if you take sneak attack at second level instead of first level it would upgrade on every even level instead of every odd level. No feature that upgrades over time can go past level 10. That means if you take sneak attack at level 4, you will not get all the upgrades to it, as the feature starts at the level you take it.

There are three templates to choose from:
Full bab, with 1 good save, two poor saves, d10 hit die, 6-10 class skills, and 2+int for skills points. skill points are x6 at first level, Proficient with all armors (light, medium, and heavy), and proficient with all simple and martial weapons.
3/4 bab, with 2 good saves, one poor save, d8 hit die, 16-20 class skills, and 6+int for skills points. Skill points are x6 at first level. proficient with light and medium armors and all simple and martial weapons.
1/2 bab, with 3 good saves, no poor save, d6 hit die, 26-30 class skills, and 8+int for skill points. skill points are x6 at first level. proficient with light armor, and all simple and martial weapons.
You can choose any skill from 3.0 and 3.5 materials as long as it has some purpose to the class. For example, it is pointless to have knowledge psionics on a character's class skill list if they do not deal with psionics. But if the class is based around knowledge it would make sense.
You can choose whatever casting-like system you like but you have to use all the rules for that system. For example if you choose to have magic like a wizard you have a spellbook, which you can know unlimited number of spells, but only get 4 spells per day at 20th level of each spell level. The same thing goes for psionics. You can choose any psionic system from any psionic class and use it. You must choose the system as a feature at the level in which you can cast for the first time so for full casting it starts at level 1, ranger and paladin starts at level 4 and so on. You may also choose the tome of battle and magic of incarnum systems as well. Full spellcasting, full psionics, maneuvers and stance system from tome of battle, magic of incarnum essentia soulmelds and chakra binds cost 10 features. Partial systems like bard, paladin, psychic warrior, ranger and others that do not have the full levels of abilities only cost 5 features. You can choose as many of these systems as you want as long as you pay the price in systems.

At 11th level in the base class, you can start to choose prestige class features. You may only choose them on a level by level basis. This means that at 11th level you can have 1 st level prestige class features, 2nd level features at 12th, 3rd level prestige class features, and so on. During the levels of prestige class features you do not gain the upgrades to base class features unless you take them as prestige class features. for example sneak attack starts at level 1 and stops at level 9. If you take sneak attack as a prestige class feature at 11th level you get that prestige class' upgrade levels. this means if the prestige class does not upgrade sneak attack every other level neither does your class. The only features that continue to level once you start taking prestige class features are spellcasting, psionics, maneuvers, or essentia systems. They will continue to upgrade as you level and take prestige class features.