PDA

View Full Version : concept: variant human cleric/warlock with a druid tendency. Ideas please

Belier
2018-04-10, 10:04 PM
Core of the character:

27 buy
8 strength
14 dex(+1variant)
11 constitution
14 wisdom
10 intel
16 charisma(+1 variant)

Outlander background.(atletism, survival, pan flute)
Choose persuasion and insight
Bonus skill performance

Bonus Feat-magic initiate
Cantrip druidcraft + thorn whip
Bonus spell once per day - goodberry

Lvl 1 cleric
Start with shield and scale mail for 18 ac.
Pick life domain
Cantrips-guidance-sacred flame-spare the dying
Always-Cure wounds, bless
Prepare healing word,detect magic, guiding bolt.
Healing word is for allies and action economy. Guiding bolt is a good choice since some healing is covered by goodberries.
Will prepare different spells as I become more proficient into warlock. Utility spells mainly.

Lv 2-6 warlock-The great old one/pact of the tome.

Cantrips - agonizing blast-booming blade then friends at level 4

War caster at level 5.

As my invocations I would like to use disguise self at will, and probly agonising blast and repulsing blast or Beguiling Influence(for 2 different skills, I really like perception).

Book of shadow will allow me to search for any level 3 rituals at this point. I plan on getting find familiar as soon as I get it, so I will be able to travel with an owl on my shoulder. I have not decided between identify or tenser floating disk for the second one.

As my go to warlock level 1 spells I was thinking about arms of hadar for aoe debuff and comprehend language to be able to communicate with anybody at my level 2.
Then I would probly chose unseen servant. For level 2 spells, invisibility then suggestion.
At level 3 spells- I haven decided yet what I will choose.

So, the idea is versatility. After that, I aint sure from the path the build would take.

Background/story
Faladris is a human that come from a family where they send their first son to become a cleric. He is serving serving eldath, the nature peace godess, but he has an urge to leave far and live in the nature, thus, at 15 years old he becomes an outlander and wishes to become a druid instead of being a cleric like his family traditions made him. He consider the nature to be more important than civilisation. He started to learn to become a druid(magic initiate) and was on his way to learn druidic and become a full fledged druid but when he add an accident and went uncouncious on the very location of an old forgotted portal that used to be a link to the celestial realm. The portal was a link to a celestial chaotic good God that nobody remember. There is a very small remaining energy from the old link, an energy that becomes fainter and fainter as the entity that was once a God in the celestial realm derivates in the far realm. This entity is now called the eternal dream. It became a dream plane/entity when it got ejected into the far realm. As the God was fading, on the verge of disapearing, it scealed is mind/counsciousness inside a dream of itself throught the use of a permanency spell on the dream in a last effort to maintain a part of itself. The spiritual body of the God faded and only the dream subsisted and become a counscious plane into the far realm.(if you want to figure this out, imagine a bit final fantasy 10 yu yevon and zanarkand dream city).

While incounscious on the very small remain of the old portal energy, Faladris made a link to the old dreamer through his own dream. He somehow stabilised, woke up hours later, but he did became a bit more than what he used to be. He is starting to communicate with his mind and every nights he is suffering visions in his dreams of coming disasters. He's trying his best to stop these disasters as he is sure they will come. Through his dreams, he also see's clues about other smaller problems to come, leading him to locations where he goes into advantures, helping others, gaining power and fame. He thinks these are steps to stop the greater disasters to come. When the time arrives, he will need power.

Through the concept, he will be able to take the form of a bard, druid, cleric and many more to gain influence.

Do you guys have idea?

hymer
2018-04-11, 12:47 AM
Do you guys have idea?
What sort of ideas are you looking for? It sounds like an interesting character. Are you looking for suggestions about the current build? About how to level after 6? Or something else?

Ganders
2018-04-11, 05:07 AM
You've definitely accomplished your goal of versatility. So you've got a good character there.

I've never been a fan of Beguiling Influence. Seems to me if there's a skill you really want, you should get it from your background (or your Vhuman bonus). But that's just me. Also, what if you later decide to switch that invocation out for a different one? Would you lose that proficiency? That would seem odd.

One of the invocations you get at 3rd level will probably just be immediately switched out at 4th level for book of secrets. I lean toward Fiendish Vigor because it's most powerful at lower levels, but it doesn't really matter since you'll only have it for one level.

Which rituals to choose depends on how easy rituals are to find and learn. You need to ask your DM. Can you learn rituals from clerics and druids who have those spells, either directly or by asking them to write down the steps? That's the easiest because all clerics and druids know, or can know, all rituals on their spell list. If you know Comprehend Languages and Unseen Servant can you copy those into your own ritual book and then swap those spells out for something else later? Will you be able to find wizards willing to let you peek at their spellbook, or at least have them write down the procedure in a backup spellbook for you? Almost every wizard should know Identify, and anyone in any town with an owl on their shoulder should be able to teach you Find Familiar, so maybe you can find those relatively easily.

You probably won't get much use out of Thorn Whip. Even at level 1 your dagger is more damage. And at higher levels, despite your armor and War Caster, you won't necessarily want to be in melee. Maybe you will find a way to use it to pull enemies into traps or into your spells... or maybe not. At least take some time to think about what specific times you'd rather use a cantrip for 1d6 (or 2d6) damage with pull instead of a cantrip for 1d10+3 (or 2d10+6) with push. It's fine if you have better armor than the rest of your group so you want to pull enemies away from your wizards... but even then repulsing blast might be just as good.

Belier
2018-04-11, 05:43 AM
What sort of ideas are you looking for? It sounds like an interesting character. Are you looking for suggestions about the current build? About how to level after 6? Or something else?

I am looking for ideas after level 6 and for what level spell I should choose when I get there as well as feed back on my build choices.

Belier
2018-04-11, 05:54 AM
You've definitely accomplished your goal of versatility. So you've got a good character there.

I've never been a fan of Beguiling Influence. Seems to me if there's a skill you really want, you should get it from your background (or your Vhuman bonus). But that's just me. Also, what if you later decide to switch that invocation out for a different one? Would you lose that proficiency? That would seem odd.

One of the invocations you get at 3rd level will probably just be immediately switched out at 4th level for book of secrets. I lean toward Fiendish Vigor because it's most powerful at lower levels, but it doesn't really matter since you'll only have it for one level.

Which rituals to choose depends on how easy rituals are to find and learn. You need to ask your DM. Can you learn rituals from clerics and druids who have those spells, either directly or by asking them to write down the steps? That's the easiest because all clerics and druids know, or can know, all rituals on their spell list. If you know Comprehend Languages and Unseen Servant can you copy those into your own ritual book and then swap those spells out for something else later? Will you be able to find wizards willing to let you peek at their spellbook, or at least have them write down the procedure in a backup spellbook for you? Almost every wizard should know Identify, and anyone in any town with an owl on their shoulder should be able to teach you Find Familiar, so maybe you can find those relatively easily.

You probably won't get much use out of Thorn Whip. Even at level 1 your dagger is more damage. And at higher levels, despite your armor and War Caster, you won't necessarily want to be in melee. Maybe you will find a way to use it to pull enemies into traps or into your spells... or maybe not. At least take some time to think about what specific times you'd rather use a cantrip for 1d6 (or 2d6) damage with pull instead of a cantrip for 1d10+3 (or 2d10+6) with push. It's fine if you have better armor than the rest of your group so you want to pull enemies away from your wizards... but even then repulsing blast might be just as good.

Thank you for the feedback.
I agree with beguiling haze not being so great, cleric just don't start eith many good skill choice and for fluff purpose I really wanted performance proficiency for the pan flute and disguise self as a bard and go into bards court to learn ritual and enter the nobles places easily. Perharps my natural 3 into charisma would be enaugh to performe and I should go straight to perception and be done with it. I'll probly just do that and be done with it and beliguing haze because perceptionbis the most rolled skill

As for thorn whip, I agree this is situationnal and eldritch blast will be used more for damage. Nonetheless it is taken for fluff but it will give me an option to pull, not just to push.