PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Beast Race [PEACH}

Llama513
2018-04-11, 11:38 AM
Helping to design this for a friend, so alot of the flavor is missing since my focus is on getting it to work mechanically.

[url]http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Skf7OzEsz[/urll]

Racial Traits
Ability Score Increase.Your Wisdom score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Size.Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Keen Senses. You have proficiency with the Perception skill.

Subraces. Choose one subrace from bear, lion, or wolf guardian.

Bear
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2.

Beast Form. You can use your action to transform into a brown bear. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die. While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

Your game statistics are replaced by the brown bear’s statistics, you do not gain the multi attack feature, but you retain your alignment, personality, hit points, and ability scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, and also gain those of the brown bear. If the brown bear has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the brown bear’s bonus instead of yours.

You can add your proficiency bonus to the brown bear’s attack rolls.

Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the brown bear is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision.

When you transform, your equipment merges with your brown bear form, and has no effect until you leave the form.

Lion

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Dexterity scores increases by 1.

Beast Form. You can use your action to transform into a lion. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die. While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

Your game statistics are replaced by the lion’s statistics, you do not gain the pack tactics feature, but you retain your alignment, personality, hit points, and ability scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, and also gain those of the lion. If the lion has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the lion’s bonus instead of yours.

You can add your proficiency bonus to the lion’s attack rolls.

Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the lion is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision.

When you transform, your equipment merges with your lion form, and has no effect until you leave the form.

Wolf

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

Beast Form. You can use your action to transform into a dire wolf. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die. While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

Your game statistics are replaced by the dire wolf’s statistics, you do not gain the pack tactics feature, but you retain your alignment, personality, hit points, and ability scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, and also gain those of the dire wolf. If the dire wolf has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the dire wolf’s bonus instead of yours.

You can add your proficiency bonus to the dire wolf’s attack rolls.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the dire wolf is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision.

When you transform, your equipment merges with your dire wolf form, and has no effect until you leave the form.

ShadowSandbag
2018-04-11, 01:35 PM
Looks alright to me, but I would add a limit to the transformations, probably 2/long rest. Other than that it looks fine!

In4Dimensions
2018-04-11, 01:49 PM
Um, if I’m reading it right, the race gets a total of +5 to ability score adjustments. Every other race has 2 or 3.

Llama513
2018-04-11, 02:47 PM
Looks alright to me, but I would add a limit to the transformations, probably 2/long rest. Other than that it looks fine!

For what the person I am designing this for is looking for, the normal form of the race is the beast they use their human form to be able to interact and hide among normal people. As such I want to not limit the number of transformations between the two forms.

What should I do to allow that and still be balanced.

Um, if I’m reading it right, the race gets a total of +5 to ability score adjustments. Every other race has 2 or 3.

The bonus ability score adjustment is to factor in that in your human form all you really get is the ability score, darkvision, and perception, while in your beast form yes you get the features that the beasts have, but you also lose the ability to use your hands to hold anything