PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Class Features

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 09:53 AM
Greetings,

I'm working on an homebrewed PrC for a campaign in which I'm currently participating.

I would like to eventually post the PrC on these boards for critique before I submit it to my DM; however, many of the class features I'm using are drawn from other non-SRD PrCs. Would the moderators have issue with me posting descriptions of those features since they are drawn from splat books not contained in the SRD?

Hypothetical example...

In the splat book, the Complete Farmhand, the Beholder Hobbit PrC has a class feature called Laser Armpit. I want to use that feature for my homebrew Drow Submariner PrC.

Would it be against board rules for me to post the description of that class feature?

martyboy74
2007-09-02, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, if they're not OGC, they're not allowed to be posted on these boards. You can name them, and describe what they generally do, but not outright quote them. If, however, you can find them on the WotC website, then feel free. You can still name the ability, and say what class and book you;re taking it from, however, so those of us with the books that you are talking about will still be able to comment.

EDIT: Also, if you find it somewhere on the internet, and link to it, no one will knock you on that.

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, if they're not OGC, they're not allowed to be posted on these boards. You can name them, and describe what they generally do, but not outright quote them. If, however, you can find them on the WotC website, then feel free. You can still name the ability, and say what class and book you;re taking it from, however, so those of us with the books that you are talking about will still be able to comment.

Ok, that's what I assumed. Thank you for your prompt response.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-02, 11:37 AM
Standard procedure for non-OGC abilities is to say "as the XXX feature, Complete YYY page ZZZ" as the description. Nothing illegal about that, and about as convenient a citation as you can get. Unless, of course, Wizards has published it on the internet, in which case you can just link it. Still don't think you can copy the text to your own post, though, as it's still copyrighted material.

Also, I want to see the Drow Submariner.

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 11:43 AM
Standard procedure for non-OGC abilities is to say "as the XXX feature, Complete YYY page ZZZ" as the description. Nothing illegal about that, and about as convenient a citation as you can get. Unless, of course, Wizards has published it on the internet, in which case you can just link it. Still don't think you can copy the text to your own post, though, as it's still copyrighted material.

Cool. That's good info. Thanks.

Also, I want to see the Drow Submariner.

Yeah, me too. :smallbiggrin:

Cybren
2007-09-02, 11:26 PM
Or you could phrase and name the ability differently since Wizards can't copyright the mechanics themselves, only the way they are presented.