PDA

View Full Version : Dire duck

weenie
2007-09-02, 05:02 PM
I desperately need the stats for a dire duck. I tought 2 HD(d8s), +4 to swim, str 10, con 14, dex 12, int 2, wis 19, cha 4, but I'm not completley sure how all of this would work. Suggestions anyone?

Ceres
2007-09-02, 05:29 PM
You know, I never expected to see that first sentence written in my lifetime. Anyway, here goes:

Dire Duck
Small Animal
HD: 1d8 +2 (6 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); fly 40 ft
Init: +1
Armor Class: 12(+1 size, +1 dex), touch 12, flat-footed 11
BAB: +0; Grp: -4
Attack: Bite +1 (1d4)
Full-Attack: Full attack Bite +1 (1d4)
Space: 5 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: None
Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +7
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 19, Cha 4
Skills: Swim +4, listen +6, spot +6
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate lakes/shores
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2-3 HD (small), 4-6 HD (medium)
Level Adjustment: -

It should also be noted that the dire duck weighs more than the dire witch.

It's not a very complex monster, I'll admit, but I don't see what other qualities a dire duck would have. Now dare I ask why you so desperately need it? And do ducks really bite, or do they peck?

Mewtarthio
2007-09-02, 05:29 PM
Wow. I must admit I never thought I'd run into someone with a desperate need to create a ferocious duck monster. Anyway, the first thing you'll need is its intended CR (though if it turns out too low you can always advance it). Lessee, if 2 HD is set in stone...

Dire Duck
Small Animal
HD 2d8 + 4 (13 hp)
Speed 15 ft. (3 squares), swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init +3
AC 14; touch 13; flat-footed 12
(+1 natural armor, +1 size, +2 Dex)
BAB +1; Grp -2
Attack I haven't the slightest clue what a dire duck would attack with. Would it be a bite?
Full-Attack See above
Space / Reach 5 ft. / 5ft.
Saves Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +4
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4

...And I don't know what anything else should be. I'm not an expert on aviology (in fact, I'm fairly certain that's not even a real word). But that'll get you started.

EvilElitest
2007-09-02, 05:33 PM
I'll most likely regret asking this, but why would you need stats for a dire duck?
from,
EE

weenie
2007-09-02, 05:41 PM
Well, first of all out of pure curiousity of what a dire duck should look like game-wise, and I also got this little idea of making one of my players running over an oversized duck with her horse one creepy dark evening, and when she got of the horse to check what she had just killed the duck bit(pecked) her and flew away in pure Jack Nicholson style, so now I need to know what a were-duck would look like in hybrid form :smallbiggrin:

I think a dire duck would use a peck-attack, but techinally that should qualify for a bite I believe.

Thanks for the stats :smallsmile:

Volug
2007-09-02, 06:18 PM
It should also be noted that the dire duck weighs more than the dire witch.

May we burn her?

Ceres
2007-09-03, 03:08 PM
May we burn her?

Well, we don't really have any use for a new bridge, so yeah. Go right ahead :smallsmile:

weenie
2007-09-04, 08:02 AM
Attack: Bite +1 (1d4)

Wait, shouldn't that be Attack: Bite +0 (1d4) ?

Serpentine
2007-09-04, 08:34 AM
For some reason I was hoping that somewhere it would note that they say "kvack".

Ceres
2007-09-04, 11:51 AM
Wait, shouldn't that be Attack: Bite +0 (1d4) ?

+1 size modifier for being small.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-04, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I think the dangerous part of a small-size DUCK would be a slam. Swans can beat people to death with their wings.

Love it, though. "Run, it's a swarm of....DUCKS?"

Telonius
2007-09-04, 12:16 PM
so now I need to know what a were-duck would look like in hybrid form

Something like Darkwing Duck, I'd imagine.

weenie
2007-09-04, 02:50 PM
Something like Darkwing Duck, I'd imagine.

I was thinking more like Golduck or something, since it says in the MM, that hybrids should have claw attacks. But since I really can't picture a humanoid duck with claws, I think I'll switch the claw attacks for the ability to cast spells with verbal components.

DracoDei
2007-09-05, 01:04 AM
and I also got this little idea of making one of my players running over an oversized duck with her horse one creepy dark evening, and when she got of the horse to check what she had just killed the duck bit(pecked) her and flew away in pure Jack Nicholson style, so now I need to know what a were-duck would look like in hybrid form :smallbiggrin:

Hybrid form should be bi-pedal, not exactly dire form I should think... animal form might be dire though.
In any case I think you have outdone me for pure weirdness (at least in the summary form)... the 'worst' I have ever done is were-skunks... although properly played their social habits are pretty weird (many are unabashed cuddlers for example) and there are a few twists in the crunch that give some pretty weird results when you follow through on the implications. No, I won't provide my stats/history... they are my magnum opus and I don't want to let go of them...

I think a dire duck would use a peck-attack, but techinally that should qualify for a bite I believe.

Peck would be with the outside of the beak, and yes, I am almost sure that ducks bite...

weenie
2007-09-05, 04:35 AM
Hybrid form should be bi-pedal, not exactly dire form I should think... animal form might be dire though.

I kow, but the stats are usually the same for animal and hybrid form.

And should't a dire duck have a natural armor of at least +2? Otherwise it would have a higher na in normal & hybrid form than in animal form.

Krelon
2007-09-05, 04:52 AM
From the 2 ducks given here, which one should be it?

Or simply, Ceres posted a juvenile duck, Mewtarthio posted a mama duck with 1HD progression...

hehe, that is one funny thread, honestly. :smallbiggrin: The only thing that is missing is a drawing (with size comparison) or a picture and you could submit it to WotC. I give it good chances to appear in some online rules addendum because the idea is hilarious.

weenie
2007-09-05, 06:02 AM
From the 2 ducks given here, which one should be it?

I would use the first one, seems more convincing. Well, except for the 19 wis, that was a typing error, it should have been 10.. My bad :smallredface:

The only thing that is missing is a drawing (with size comparison) or a picture and you could submit it to WotC

Wow, that is pure genious! Ok, where can we find someone with the drawing skills to make a drawing that would catch the terrifying essence of the dire duck? :smallsmile:

Zoraciel Ivtel
2007-09-05, 01:27 PM
This sounds like something right out of Munchkin.

Krelon
2007-09-05, 02:25 PM
hmm... should I ever GM again, I'll so totally bring the stampede of the dire ducks! you know, there is always this goblin raiders and that hobgoblin outpost at levels 1-3 ... why not a small village at a lake shore, in need of help from an angry bunch of water birds.

Umarth
2007-09-06, 03:31 PM
This sounds like something right out of Munchkin.

Never pick up a duck in a dungon.

I think the Munchkin d20 rules also has stats for a Dire Duck.

Simons Mith
2007-09-06, 03:50 PM
I think the answer to the form of attack employed by any duck, including the formidable Dire Duck is given in this Goodies song:

A Man's Best Friend is His Duck

Many's the time I've felt lonely (ohhh)
Many's the time I've felt sad
But now I have found a companion
The best pal that I've ever had

Oh who is it carries the papers
When I take him for romps in the park
Who comes when I whistle, who sits when I say
And who doesn't whimper or bark

Yes, a man's best friend is his duck (His what?!)
Oh a duck can bring you good luck
Oh I don't want a budgie who says naughty words
And I don't take to titmice or hummingbirds
And a hen can do nothing but cluck (cluck cluck)
No, a man's best friend is his duck

What is a duck? A duck is fidelity with feathers. A watchdog with webbed feet. A duck is strong, even when wet. And when you come home after a hard day being nibbled by vultures, something will run down the path to meet you. Something who cares. Your duck. And as you settle into your armchair, she'll climb up on your knee, and as she lays her head on your shoulder, and lays her egg in your hand, she'll stick her beak in your ear and whisper softly (quack). And you'll know, you'll know you love her, you'll know because she's your old duck.

Oh a man's best friend is his duck (quack quack)
A duck is well known for its pluck (quack quack)
If a burglar breaks in, it'll chase him back (ooh 'eck)
And scare him away with a spine chilling quack
'Cos you can get a very nasty suck (slurp)
If you muck about with a duck (quack quack)

A man's best friend is his duck
Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack, quack quack
Oh a man's best friend is his duck

Lavin
2007-09-07, 07:47 PM
May we burn her?

Player 1: Well, I was turned into a newt, so i say yes.

Player 2: A Newt?!

P1: ...I got better.

By the way, one of my players was actually turned into a newt/gecko, and we still make fun of her for it.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-08, 02:49 AM
Okay, anyone familiar with Count Duckula, for even more ducky goodness - er - badness?

Sintanan
2007-09-11, 04:25 AM
Here's my shot at the waterfowl fun. Basically, I got the stats for a dire duck by looking at the conversion of a rat to a dire rat, and applied that to a raven (with a swim speed, and a bite attack instead of a claw attack). I then threw on a couple of abilities that would make the duck annoying as all can be.

After that, I decided to go the extra mile and whipped up stats for a swarm of dire ducks; which I had to cheat on a bit, seeing as we're dealing with a small creature that has reach and the swarm subtype isn't allowed on small creatures. I compensated this reach issue with the swarm's overwhelm ability. Here's the results:

Duck
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average), swim 15 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d2-5)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +8
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate water
Organization: Solitary or flock
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

Multiple waterfowl float in the pond dabbling underwater for grasses, insects, fish and who knows what else. A couple of the birds look in your direction and one releases a resounding quack as they go about their business.

---------------------------------

Dire Duck
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 15ft. (2 squares), fly 50 ft. (average), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +3 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rake
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Aerial Ace
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Flyby Attack
Organization: Solitary or nest (1-2 adults, 3-4 chicks [Use Duck stat block])
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Advancement: 2-3 HD (small), 4-6 HD (medium)

The housecat-sized waterfowl looks up at you from its pool. The green plumage covering its head offsets the crown of miniature horns. Large talons adorn the ends of its webbed feet. The creature stares with feral eyes as if telling you that it will not back down without a fight.

Combat Tactics: Dire ducks either attack with excessive use of their Flyby Attack feat. If they are outmatched in the air (possibly due to overwhelming number of projectiles) dire ducks will close with a foe and start attacking their opponent's face with a grapple and their Rake attack.

Aerial Ace (Ex): Only while flying, a dire duck is treated as having Improved Grab, allowing it to start a grapple with a successful hit of its Bite attack.

Rake (Ex): Dire ducks can make two rake attacks during a grapple. Attack bonus +4 melee, 1d3-1.

------------------------------------
Dire Duck Swarm :smallamused:
Small Animal (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 4d8 (18 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: fly 50 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +3 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Swarm Attack, Overwhelm
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Swarm Traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
Organization: Swarm
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: --

A swarm of over 200 oversized, flying waterfowl with crowns of small horns upon their heads rush out from the tree-lined waterway, quacking with raw fury as they rush headlong towards you.

Combat Tactics: When on the move, a dire duck swarm travels by the air. While resting, dire ducks relax in a pond. Combat is fairly simple for a dire duck swarm (as with all swarms and many oozes): Engulf and overwhelm the target.

Swarm Traits: Swarms are immune to flanking or critical hits. A swarm reduced to 0 hit points breaks up, though damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack. Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by damage. Also, they cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot grapple an opponent.
A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate). A swarm takes half again as much damage (+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area, such as splash weapons and many evocation spells.

Swarm Attack: Swarms do not make standard melee attacks. Instead, they deal automatic damage to any creature whose space they occupy at the end of their move, with no attack roll needed. Swarms do not threaten creatures in their square, and do not make attacks of opportunity with their swarm attack.

Overwhelm (Ex): The dire duck swarm can attempt to overwhelm adjacent foes by succeeding on an +4 melee attack roll. If the swarm succeeds, the swarm can move into their opponent's square without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attack fails, the swarm still moves into their opponent's square, but provokes an attack of opportunity as normal.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm's damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 13) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.