PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mounted Assassin(8 Ranger/8 Fighter/4 Rogue)

KoboldBoy
2018-04-17, 10:28 PM
Okay, late night idea.

- Kobold as a revised(UA) Ranger.
- Get mountable companion and go to 8 Ranger, then 4 Rogue, then 8 Fighter

Ranger:
- Coordinated Attack is not an Extra Attack, so it works with Fighter.
- Beast's Defense synergies well with Mounted Combatant.
- You protect your beast with Mounted Combatant, so you shouldn't need Superior Beast's Defense.
- Not getting your beast's whirlwind attacks and Feral Senses is a bit unfortunate, but you aren't missing much from Foe Slayer.

Rogue:
- Sneak Attack always activates because your mount counts as an ally, so you deal 2d6 on an attack every turn.
- Cunning Action allows for quick disengages or super fast dives.
- Assassinate with Extra Attack from Fighter for LOTSA DAMAGE on surprise rounds.

Fighter:
- Lotsa attacks from Action Surge and Extra Attack.
- 3 ASI is pretty nice, too.
- Too late for me to think about the optimal Archetype.

It's my first time theorycrafting, so I just wanted to get some criticism on how this would actually work out.

PeteNutButter
2018-04-17, 11:36 PM
I’d cut the rogue out entirely, and get fighter to 12 for a third attack. Assassinate almost never comes up, and the sneak attack damage is probably less than a third attack by that level. Cunning action is also nearly useless if you plan to be mounted. The mount does all the moving/disengaging etc.

CTurbo
2018-04-18, 02:37 AM
The Kobold riding a Wolf idea has always been fun since they both get pack tactics. What about the dreaded sunlight thing? How would you get around it?

You DM may let your companion take a feat instead of ASI at Ranger 4. Mobile feat would be great for it.

I kinda agree about skipping Rogue. Depends on how your DM rules it.