PDA

View Full Version : With my abnormally large eye...

wadledo
2007-09-02, 06:56 PM
Just to warn you, this is not about beholders.
I just couldn't resist saying that :smallbiggrin:.

While not a huge fan of the Kirby franchise, I felt it proper to at least make an attempt at portraying my namesake. So here's

Waddle Doo & Waddle Dee

First the Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee info: In a world where magic is present and anything is possible, the Waddle Dee are a bit of an oddity. Flocks of Waddle Doo can be seen traveling from City to City, working were they are fed and moving on when they are not. The creatures lose their wings once they have been fed, and regain them when they are left to go hungry. The Waddle Doo are composed of many clans, each one staking out a territory and the others not encroaching.

Relationship with other races: The Waddle Dee are willing servants, so no intelligent race has any atomicity toward them, though some of the more Evil races don’t trust them for working with good.

Alignment: Almost always lawful, and in some cases neutral, but no mater what, everything is for the group.

Psychology: The Waddle Dee are never lazy, always either working, sleeping, or eating, though they don’t expect this attitude of other races. They are by nature flock creatures and always follow the group.

Religion: While they may take up a god to become fully integrated in a community, the Waddle Dee are generally not religious, believing only that if they worked hard in life, they may go to an afterlife were they may do what they love best, whether it be eat, fly, relax, or even fight.

Physiology: The Waddle Dee eat through osmosis, this making most ingested poisons useless against them, but contact poisons all the more deadly. They are asexual, and reproduce by budding once a year, which is determined by when they where born.
For height and weight use Female Gnome stats, but add 10 to weight.

· +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
· Favored Class: any.
· Small: As a Small creature, Waddle Dee gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
· Waddle Dee’s base land speed is 20 feet.
· Waddle Dee’s base fly speed is 60 feet with good maneuverability. Wings are not usable if under a food based contract.
· Low-Light Vision: Waddle Dee can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Diplomacy checks.
· Immunity to ingested poisons that are not specifically for Waddle Doo, -2 on saves vs. Contact poison
· Automatic Languages: Waddle Dee, note: may understand other languages but only speak Waddle Dee. This does not affect spell and abilities that do not rely on the subject understanding what is said.
LA 0

And next the Waddle Doo

Waddle Doo
Sub-race
The Waddle Doo are an offshoot of the Waddle Dee, and appear once every year in a group. They differ from Waddle Dee’s by their one large eye and the fact that they are slightly larger and heaver. Another large difference is the absence of wings and the fact that they can speak other languages. They are the defenders of the Waddle Dee, working as translators, protectors, and scouts for places to move on to. There is usually only one per flock, with extras working as intermediaries between clans.

· +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity.
· Favored Class: any one with full BAB.
· Small: As a Small creature, Waddle Doo gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
· Waddle Doo’s base land speed is 20 feet.
· Low-Light Vision: Waddle Doo can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Diplomacy checks.
· Immunity to ingested poisons that are not specifically for Waddle Doo, -2 on saves vs. Contact poison.
· Single eye – receives -2 on ranged attacks, search checks, and spot checks.
· Automatic Languages: Common and Waddle Do. Additional Languages: Any (other than secret languages).
LA 0

Critiques would be appreciated

Edit: in case you hadn't already guessed, this is my first homebrew, so some basic advice on the subject would be even more appreciated.

DraPrime
2007-09-02, 09:33 PM
Disturbingly cute.

Fizban
2007-09-02, 11:55 PM
I think you need to clean up the naming (the headings and in some of the text are mixed up). Waddle Doos have the one big eye and Waddle Dees have two little eyes. I believe Waddle Doos are also usually red or orange, and Dees are brown and tan, but I didn't notice any mention of color in my glance.

Finally, what's up with the wings? I've never seen a Waddle Doo or Dee with wings, not even in the cartoon they made. They've been known to drop in with parasols, but no wings.

Now, as for the rest of the stats, seems okay. Giving Waddle Doos a bonus to charisma gives them an edge with sorcery, which could explain why so many of them can shoot laser beams out of their eyes. I don't understand the origin of the stability power, or the summoning, but they're not bad either. It needs an LA though, since it has uneven ability scores, though if you ditched the stability and summoning I think it'd be okay with LA +0 (as it would then have no special powers other than extra charisma).

Kaelaroth
2007-09-03, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't want to play one, but they seem OK. Where is their killer parasol attack?

wadledo
2007-09-03, 06:52 AM
I based this on the anime, so yes they fly.
And without the stability and summoning I thought it was a little bland, and maybe underpowered.
Especially with the small size, -2 to ranged, search, and spot which is kinda big.

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-03, 08:49 AM
There was a Kirby anime?

wadledo
2007-09-03, 05:00 PM
Yes. It was on 4kids so it wasnt that good, but it's had more continuity.