PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Computer

Eldred
2007-09-03, 05:56 AM
Hi everyone. My parents are buying me a computer as part of a way of saying well done on my exams. The computer specs are in the spoiler, and I was wondering if any Playgrounders could give a verdict of the computer (e.g. good RAM? good memory? etc.)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Dual Core
Hdd: 250GB
RAM: 1GB
Disc Drives: DVD-RW
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 6100
Accessories: Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers
Monitor: MA9B TFT 500:1 8ms (1280x1024) Black TFT Monitor
Specific Programs: MS Works

Also, I've got 150 (roughly $300) of my own money if I want to choose to upgrade anything. Is there anything on that specific computer that's just screaming for an upgrade? Would a better graphics card be a good idea for gaming? I've heard Vista can be quite draining on RAM, so should I get some more? (Though I wouldnt dare and try and put it in myself :smalleek: )

Thanks for your time!

Were-Sandwich
2007-09-03, 06:02 AM
I do well at my exams, I get a 7 magic deck. You get a PC? Thats just not fair. I'm gonna go complain to Karma inc. now.

Ashtar
2007-09-03, 06:19 AM
Go for 2 Gb RAM minimum for Vista, it will make a HUGE difference in speed and quality of life, without making a big dent in your bank account (around 30, if not less).

Archonic Energy
2007-09-03, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone. My parents are buying me a computer as part of a way of saying well done on my exams. The computer specs are in the spoiler, and I was wondering if any Playgrounders could give a verdict of the computer (e.g. good RAM? good memory? etc.)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Dual Core
Hdd: 250GB
RAM: 1GB
Disc Drives: DVD-RW
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 6100
Accessories: Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers
Monitor: MA9B TFT 500:1 8ms (1280x1024) Black TFT Monitor
Specific Programs: MS Works

Also, I've got 150 of my own money if I want to choose to upgrade anything.

try to upgrade the Graphics card too... at least something in the 7000 series (or 8000 if you've got cash to burn!)...

and a copy of Bioshock.

Whoracle
2007-09-03, 06:37 AM
I take it that this is a pre-built system, right?
What do you want to use for primarily?

The problem with the specs is, if you want to play any newer games on that box, the Combination of GeForce 6100 and Vista, along with 1 GB RAM will most likely kill any game you want to play.

My advice is to buy a minimum of 3 GB RAM total for Vista and playing...

If you have the knowledge to build the PC by yourself (e.g. know how to put the processor onto the mainboard etc.), I'd advise you to do it.

I put myself a gaming rig together in january for roughly 600 Euros, and all I kept from my old one was the DVD-Drive, one IDE-Harddisk and the Case.
Here are it's specs.

AMD AM2 X2 4800+
GeForce 7600 GT 512MB (bought it for the passive cooling)
3 GB Corsair RAM (imported from the US of A, for it was a whole lot cheaper (tm) )
2x 160GB Harddrive S-ATA
ASUS M2N-E Mainboard
New Keyboard (Saitek Eclipse II)
No additional Software

Nowadays it would be a lot cheaper, I think.

If you don't have the expertise to put it together yourself, at least buy another two gigs of RAM and one o' those fancy GeForce 8xxx-Series graphics card.

Eldred
2007-09-03, 08:14 AM
I take it that this is a pre-built system, right?
What do you want to use for primarily?

Yup, this is a pre-built system from Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/), which we were recommended to from a work colleague who builds computers.

Generally, I'll be using it for random college work or surfing the web, but I'll also be using it for gaming (Assassin's Creed springs to mind).

However, the computer we were recommended isn't necessarily the one we're buying. It's just the best option so far. The likelihood is that, if we decide to buy this computer, I'll get it upgraded with better RAM and the like as soon as possible.

We were going to have the computer built to a certain spec, but so far we haven't done much about it :smallannoyed:

Archonic Energy
2007-09-03, 08:21 AM
how much have you got in total to spend...

i'll go searching if you want.

Eldred
2007-09-03, 08:23 AM
My parents are putting approximately 400 towards the computer. I can provide 150 towards that, and possibly another 100 after I'm paid this week.

And thanks, that'd be great!

Archonic Energy
2007-09-03, 08:32 AM
have you already got a good monitor or do you want a new one?

Notes:

550-(650) price bracket...
Complete systems.

assassin's creed (just meet recomended)

Shikton
2007-09-03, 08:38 AM
Double the RAM (make sure it's DDR2) and pimp up the graphics card. nVidia 8600gt 512mb will be a better choice.

Were-Sandwich
2007-09-03, 08:45 AM
How much does a RAM upgrade cost? And Graphics card? When I get my own PC (parents are too scared to let me upgrade the family one) I'd like to upgade it, but have no idea how much this costs, having never done it before.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-03, 08:50 AM
How much does a RAM upgrade cost? And Graphics card? When I get my own PC (parents are too scared to let me upgrade the family one) I'd like to upgade it, but have no idea how much this costs, having never done it before.

not bad prices but you can get better on-line (http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1652&MenuName=PC+Memory&worldid=-3&doy=3m9)

Samiam303
2007-09-03, 09:11 AM
While I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, I'll just throw out there the fact that upgrading RAM is one of the easiest things you can possibly do to a computer. Seriously, you can handle it yourself.

Charity
2007-09-03, 09:47 AM
not bad prices but you can get better on-line (http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1652&MenuName=PC+Memory&worldid=-3&doy=3m9)

*cough*Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/)*cough*

Eldred
2007-09-03, 10:30 AM
have you already got a good monitor or do you want a new one?
Haven't got a monitor, so I would need a new one.

While I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, I'll just throw out there the fact that upgrading RAM is one of the easiest things you can possibly do to a computer. Seriously, you can handle it yourself.
It is? I can't say I've tried, I've just never trusted myself to open up the computer and put something in. Do you just screw the memory into place? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Also isn't there a limit on some motherboards as to how much RAM they can handle?

Gaiwecoor
2007-09-03, 10:47 AM
Do you just screw the memory into place? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Also isn't there a limit on some motherboards as to how much RAM they can handle?

No - it's more simple than that. You just snap the memory into place. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, there typically is a limit on how much RAM you can put in. You might want to see if you have one 1GB stick or two 512MB sticks in there - that'll make a huge difference. Some motherboards only have two slots, some three. That will probably be the only limiting factor in your case.

Arang
2007-09-03, 10:48 AM
Do you just screw the memory into place? :smallconfused:

You don't even need a screwdriver. Pretty much you push the RAM into a slot, and you're done.

And yes, there's usually 4 slots. At least there's 4 slots on every motherboard I've ever had.

EDIT: 2 or 3 you say? *opens case* Yup, there's definitely 4.

Samiam303
2007-09-03, 12:35 PM
Depends how cheapo of a motherboard you've got. I've seen a good many boards that only have 2.

Semidi
2007-09-03, 12:54 PM
If it only has two, there should be two levers on the sides of the ram stick. Push them up and the ram should pop out. put your replacement ram in the slot and push it down firmly (not hard, the secret tip to computers is that everything can only possibly go one way(aside from certain CPU chips, but let's ignore that for the moment)) and it should pop back in. Budda-bing you're done.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-04, 03:00 AM
good morning.

Dell VostroTM 400 DT @ 645 (http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&fb=1&l=en&oc=D09V41A&s=dhs) (upper limit)
COMPAQ SR5139 PC World @ 599 (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1571305640.118889264 8@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjaddlllllhmlcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=893049&category_oid=-27743) (Buy on-line for this price or add 100 for instore!)
Alienware (www.alienware.co.uk) too pricey
Simply (www.simply.co.uk) no good systems in price range
Dabs (www.dabs.com) no good systems in price range
EBuyer (www.ebuyer.com/) no good systems in price range (sorry)
Comet ACER T671 @ 539 (http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=398543)
Mesh "Elite Premier Plus" @ 599 (http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=221595) (for god's sake remove the 3 extras they try to force on you!)

Will be added to.

Lingerance
2007-09-04, 10:25 AM
Beware of that 64bit CPU. Alot of programs presume the computer still has a 32bit CPU and will actually crash itself because of this. Also double the ram, or ask for XP instead. Also check to see if the video card is onboard, AGP, PCI, PCI-E or some other crazy system, each has it's own speed for communicating with the rest of the system (hence why RAM has a Mhz [iirc] value), this also helps when going to upgrade said component. Another thing is ask about the power supply's wattage and company and do some research on those (I had to recently upgrade mine because of a low wattage) the problems caused by low wattage are annoying. Finally remember that companies that build your computer for you tend to use really cheap parts.

For a place to shop check out a local business that generally sells the computers in parts and ask if they can build it for you, this is alot cheaper and gives you a much more diverse option for customization.

Missing Shoe
2007-09-04, 10:38 AM
I enjoyed Cyberpower Pc (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com). Good computers for the price. My friend and I both have a computer from there with no complaints.

I also say go with 2 GB of RAM (but no more than 3 GB if you are going with 32 bit windows, more than 3 GB cannot be supported, for now at least. 2^32 ~ 4 GB and the system has 1 GB it uses for registries and stuff leaving you up to 3 GB to use. Linux has some nice work arounds, hopefully windows will pick up on them).

Also if you are a gamer you will want a better video card. Good luck!

Archonic Energy
2007-09-04, 10:53 AM
Beware of that 64bit CPU. Alot of programs presume the computer still has a 32bit CPU and will actually crash itself because of this.

or just use a 32Bit OS instead....
XP home: "What 64Bit CPU?"
i can safely say neither of my 64Bit processored PCs have had any problems from being 64Bit... Heat on the other hand... :smallmad:

I enjoyed Cyberpower Pc (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com). Good computers for the price.

thank you for your input, however this site only delivers to the states and won't be of any help for the OP. (But i'll make a note of it for later :smallwink:)

El are you still looking @ this? i'll see if i can find any other good deals.
(Just spent 1800 on a new laptop:smalleek:)

Eldred
2007-09-04, 02:55 PM
El are you still looking @ this? i'll see if i can find any other good deals.
(Just spent 1800 on a new laptop:smalleek:)

Oh no... man, I'm really sorry to say this, but while I was out at college my parents bought the computer in the OP. In fact, it's sat in my room right now :smalleek:

Carp... I mean, I'm not really worried. It's a fairly decent computer and I've waited about 4 years for one. If I had the chance I could have told you not to worry about looking for computers, but I'm grateful for the input you gave me! I do feel kinda bad though :smallfrown:

And while I've said that I'll be increasing the amount of RAM on the computer, at the moment it is really fast. No joke; it is quite literally a speeding bullet! And sure, that'll drain down as the memory gets taken up or if I'm playing a game, but I was still impressed. Also, I checked on the nifty little speedometer gadget Vista has, and Vista alone uses between 40-60% of the RAM.

Now, as for the computer, I will be getting the following upgrades done in the future:

1GB/2GB more RAM
New GeForce card, possibly in the 8000 series

I did some random research, and it turns out the Athlon 64 is an older processor, correct? Is that something I should consider upgrading for future "next-gen" games?

[This might be a good time to change the title... *scribbles*]

Reinboom
2007-09-04, 03:09 PM
I did some random research, and it turns out the Athlon 64 is an older processor, correct? Is that something I should consider upgrading for future "next-gen" games?

Athlon 64... depends on which. Just look at the specs and not the age. I currently prefer Intel in the current market (for dual cores), however, if you stick to AMD, then I would recommend upgrading to a 5000 series (about 65 I believe.) You will notice a huge difference with certain apps or in multitasking situations.

Samiam303
2007-09-04, 07:23 PM
Oh no... man, I'm really sorry to say this, but while I was out at college my parents bought the computer in the OP. In fact, it's sat in my room right now :smalleek:

Carp... I mean, I'm not really worried. It's a fairly decent computer and I've waited about 4 years for one. If I had the chance I could have told you not to worry about looking for computers, but I'm grateful for the input you gave me! I do feel kinda bad though :smallfrown:

And while I've said that I'll be increasing the amount of RAM on the computer, at the moment it is really fast. No joke; it is quite literally a speeding bullet! And sure, that'll drain down as the memory gets taken up or if I'm playing a game, but I was still impressed. Also, I checked on the nifty little speedometer gadget Vista has, and Vista alone uses between 40-60% of the RAM.

Now, as for the computer, I will be getting the following upgrades done in the future:

1GB/2GB more RAM

Not even kidding, I'd consider going from Vista to XP before you buy MORE RAM... you'd be amazed what a difference that'll make.

evnafets
2007-09-04, 08:48 PM
Actually, I would consider upgrading from Microsoft Works to Microsoft Word/Excel. You should be able to get a student edition at a reasonable price.

Ok, so maybe I'm a sucker for the M$ propaganda, but seriously - I consider Microsoft office one of the most necessary pieces of software on my computer.

Samiam303
2007-09-04, 08:51 PM
Psh, OpenOffice works just as well... but either way, OpenOffice or MS Office are both probably a step up from MS Works.

Reinboom
2007-09-04, 08:52 PM
Actually, I would consider upgrading from Microsoft Works to Microsoft Word/Excel. You should be able to get a student edition at a reasonable price.

Ok, so maybe I'm a sucker for the M$ propaganda, but seriously - I consider Microsoft office one of the most necessary pieces of software on my computer.

I will have to turn this statement and rebuke OpenOffice.
It costs... free. And works and looks the same.

Pyro
2007-09-04, 08:54 PM
I do well at my exams, I get a 7 magic deck. You get a PC? Thats just not fair. I'm gonna go complain to Karma inc. now.

You're lucky you get anything. I work my butt off and get all A's in all of my subjects and my parents are just like "Good job!". But then again, I don't have to take finals.

and a copy of Bioshock.
I got a copy of that on Friday and spent all of my three day weekend playing it when I should have been practicing my instrument. I love that game.

The Evil Thing
2007-09-05, 12:53 AM
You never did say what your motherboard was. Before you splurge on RAM, HDDs and other essentials, you should check it to make sure you only buy stuff that'll fit. Furthermore, if it's a prebuilt, it'll likely have some warranty attached. If you do have a warranty, opening up your case (or even removing the back screws) will usually void it.

Then again, only wimps use warranties. Wimps and commies. Grrr...

Aaaaanyway...
If you're looking for hardware, I recommend Novatech (www.novatech.co.uk). They're usually a fraction more expensive than Dabs and all that but they have a much bigger selection. My advice is to window shop around Novatech until you find something you like then go to another retailer and see if you can get it meaningfully cheaper.

Finally, always, always, always buy OEM if you can.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-05, 02:09 AM
in the famous words of Douglas Adams "Don't panic." now go to your local Game & pick up Bioshock... it'll be a good test to determine how well your PC can run games. :smallwink: (That'd be my excuse anyway)

Carp... I mean, I'm not really worried. It's a fairly decent computer and I've waited about 4 years for one. If I had the chance I could have told you not to worry about looking for computers, but I'm grateful for the input you gave me! I do feel kinda bad though :smallfrown: no worries i LIKE looking for PCs :smallsmile:

ok it sounds like you'll need that ram upgrade sooner rather than later...
60%!... *shakes head*

1GB/2GB more RAM

Would you mind answering these questions please?
did you get a detailed printout of the internal components?
is the 1GB 1x1GB stick or 2x512MB Sticks?
do you have spare RAM slots?
what is the link to the E-Buyer deal you used?

Don't worry about that yet most net games have 2400 as the minimum & 3000 as the recomended. the processor will do you for a year - maybe two.

You never did say what your motherboard was. Before you splurge on RAM, HDDs and other essentials, you should check it to make sure you only buy stuff that'll fit. Furthermore, if it's a prebuilt, it'll likely have some warranty attached. If you do have a warranty, opening up your case (or even removing the back screws) will usually void it.
you could always use the old "i was verifying that the components installed were the ones advertised" line... it'll only work once tho :smallwink:

Then again, only wimps use warranties. Wimps and commies. Grrr...
heh :smallamused:

Aaaaanyway...
If you're looking for hardware, I recommend Novatech (www.novatech.co.uk). They're usually a fraction more expensive than Dabs and all that but they have a much bigger selection.
Finally, always, always, always buy OEM if you can.
ooo new link *makes memo*
and good final advice too

Not even kidding, I'd consider going from Vista to XP before you buy MORE RAM... you'd be amazed what a difference that'll make.
how bad is Vista really?
i've yet to see a running copy.

Eldred
2007-09-05, 05:50 AM
ok it sounds like you'll need that ram upgrade sooner rather than later...
60%!... *shakes head*
Yeah, tell me about it!! :smalleek:

Would you mind answering these questions please?
did you get a detailed printout of the internal components?
is the 1GB 1x1GB stick or 2x512MB Sticks?
do you have spare RAM slots?
what is the link to the E-Buyer deal you used?
1. Not at all
2. There was no printout of the internal components, just a sheet telling you where to plug in cables...
3. The RAM is a 1x1GB stick
4. I've yet to open up and check for extra RAM slots
5. And the link on Ebuyer is... here (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126116)

how bad is Vista really?
Mine's a running copy :smalltongue:
So far, the only things I've found that are bad about Vista is the amount of RAM it sucks up and the User Account Control that pops up all the time. Is it called that? :smallconfused: Anyway, that can be quickly turned off.

Well, the Ebuyer link never stated what the motherboard was, and I can't remember what you go on to view all the different parts of the computer. I found something with computer parts, but it didn't list the motherboard.

Also, the warranty is why I haven't opened the case up yet. Though I do like Archonic's suggestion on opening it up :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-09-05, 02:10 PM
5. And the link on Ebuyer is... here (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126116)

thank you...

here (http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page9.do?sp=page4&dau34.oid=20671&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=2144007677) are your specs.

it says here it'll support DDR2 RAM
i hope that the MB has more than 1 RAM slot... otherwise you'll need to buy a 2GB stick
and that you have a spare PCI-E slot...
that'll fit a decent GeForce Card... (Or Radeon if you're an ATI fan)

how much you got to spend?

The Evil Thing
2007-09-05, 04:07 PM
If you're going for a card in the nVidia 8000 series then please don't get anything less than a 8800 GTS. You can pick up a 320MB one for about 200. It's a lot to swallow but the 'entry level' cards are... well... crap.

With regards to memory: I have 2GB of the cheapest RAM I could get and I have never had any performance issues on Vista. Well, except for SupCom when running 7 AI players on the largest available map size. That caused a CtD.:smallbiggrin: Some people may argue you need 3 or 4 GB but I think that's unnecessary. It's your call on that one.

If you still have money left over after buying an extra GB of RAM and that 8800, and are worried about application compatibility, then buy a new hard drive and get 32-bit Windows XP. That should cover all your bases and compliment the 64-bit Vista nicely. As it's a secondary drive, 80GB should be ample.

In truth, I wouldn't worry too much about your warranty. Unless you are a total klutz, it isn't too hard to install components yourself and companies that build computers tend to make the repair process as painful and slow as possible in order to condition their customers away from actually using their warranties *cough*Dell*cough*Alienware*cough*etc.*cough* Plus, your local computer guy (the one-man-genius-tech-support-team type who owns a tiny shop in some back street) will often fix your problems for a pittance. Besides, just about anything that can be damaged by static is covered by some enormous heatsink.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-06, 10:08 AM
In regards to RAM, I have another question.

I have 4 slots, and two sticks of 512 RAM. Would putting in another 512 or two do anything, or should I see about buying two 1GB sticks? Also, the slots are "paired". Each pair has a "black" bracket and a "white" bracket. I'm currently using the two "white" brackets... does it make a difference?

Archonic Energy
2007-09-06, 10:30 AM
In regards to RAM, I have another question.

I have 4 slots, and two sticks of 512 RAM. Would putting in another 512 or two do anything, or should I see about buying two 1GB sticks? Also, the slots are "paired". Each pair has a "black" bracket and a "white" bracket. I'm currently using the two "white" brackets... does it make a difference?

maybe. :smalltongue:

do the sticks from the white brackets fit into the black brackets slots?

If so then to upgrade you'll need 2 sticks at the same speed as the original ram and with the same capacity (The slots are colour coded so you use matching pairs in each colour)

if not then the board is designed to take different types of RAM and to upgrade you'll need 2x 1GB sticks (The slots are colour coded so you don't try to sitck the wrong type into the wrong slots) generally this means you can use one type or another not both

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-06, 10:50 AM
You might want to look at Linux a bit too*. It's fairly easy to set it up so you can boot your computer up in Linux or Windows. I have nothing but good things to say about Ubuntu myself.

*I tell this to everyone ^_^ Seriously, it rocks.

The Evil Thing
2007-09-06, 01:45 PM
Well, I've always installed like types of RAM but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have more than one size stick. I'd just go for two 512 sticks seeing as you don't really need any more and it helps keep costs down.

Samiam303
2007-09-06, 09:39 PM
how bad is Vista really?
A clean install of Vista with nothing installed, at idle, uses 1.5 times the resources of my fully customized XP install + everything I normally have running in the background. :eek:

The Evil Thing
2007-09-07, 12:33 AM
XP was released in 2001. I'm pretty sure CPUs and other hardware are considerably faster than 1.5 times. If you buy up-to-date components, Vista's hardware requirements won't affect you in the slightest.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-07, 03:34 AM
Well, I've always installed like types of RAM but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have more than one size stick. I'd just go for two 512 sticks seeing as you don't really need any more and it helps keep costs down.

unfortunalty we are back in the days where you use mached pairs. something to do with how DDR2 works i don't understand WHY but i know enough to listen to the Motherboard manuals (unless it's a consprisy to get people to buy more RAM :smallwink: ).

my old desktop system had 2 SDR & 2 DDR slots... it came with SDR installed but the supplier told me that "The motherboard takes DDR" instead of "The installed RAM is SDR" giving me the impression that DDR was installed... it was a good technical loophole! :smallmad:

this is why i check the installed components when me or my mates get new PCs...

i've got Vista on my new laptop... but i have my trusty XP disk ready if it's needed:smalltongue: