PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next LizardFolk Variant

RuinedSilver
2018-04-22, 11:29 AM
I was thrilled when the Lizardfolk came out In Volo's guide. "Finally", I screamed, "I can do shenanigans as a lizard!" (real talk, I didn't even know I wanted a lizard race, but when I saw it, I wanted it.) But the Lizards that I saw in Volo... Rubbed me wrong. They were really strong, which was fine, but some stuff just didn't fit well in my opinion.

So, Here I am, Rehashing it to make myself happy. Who knows, maybe all of ya'll will like it as well. PEACH, plz and thanks.

So, before we get to crazy, we need to isolate what is wrong.
We'll start with the Musicus Meter. Lizardfolk rank somewhere in the 8.5 to 10.5, depending on how you view their traits and if you include swim speed.

3 for their ASI (2 con, 1 wis)
1.5 if you include their inherent swim speed.
1 for nat weapon
.5 for hold breath. Honestly not sure how this rates in, as I didn't see anything that directly paralelled it in the meter... besides amphibious, but those two can't really compare. honestly, hold breath is probably weaker than amphibious.
1 for gaining 2 skill profs.
2 for nat armor
.5 for cunning artisan, which I found paralleled tinker.
1 for hungry jaws, which I think falls under quicken

So, how to fix? Trim down the score, and crack the race into two subraces- one focused on versatility, one focused on survival, to represent the two main ideas behind these lizards.

I tried to keep it as close to the original as possible, while still cutting down on the Musicus score and Making two clear subtypes.

LizardFolk 4.5
+2 CON (2)
20ft Swim Speed (1)
Nat Weapon- Bite- 1d6+STR pierce (1)
Amphibious- You can breath air and water (.5)

Utility- 3 - In your tribe, you left the fighting to others, and focused instead on gathering resources or using tools..
+1 INT (1)
Gatherer's lore - choose two proficiencies from the following list- Medicine, Insight, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. (1)
Cunning artisan- As part of a short rest, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools. (.5)
Tool Proficiency- Gain proficiency in of one the following tools- Leatherworks, Woodcarvers, or Tinkers. (.5)

Survival- 3 - You frequently venture out into the Swamps, protecting your gatherers and hunting.
+1 Wis (I considered strength, but figured that I should keep the balance between physical and mental attributes.)(1)
Hunters Lore- Choose 1 of the following proficiencies- Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. (.5)
Natural Armor- your unarmored AC is 12+ DEX modifier (1)
Savage Attacks-When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit. (.5)