PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-03, 02:49 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the old Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18288).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2.As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first few versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

TheLogman
2007-09-03, 03:10 PM
Q.1 What does the word "PEACH" mean in the title of something Homebrewed?

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-03, 03:13 PM
A.1. "PEACH" is an acronym for "Please Examine And Critique Honestly." (Sometimes "Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.") It's meant to discriminate between homebrew that is seeking real criticism and that which is only seeking praise or isn't really ready to be looked at by others.

(It's really pretty pointless. If you put something up, you should expect honest criticism or any other response, within the board rules. We remove PEACH from thread titles as a matter of course here.)

Awetugiw
2007-09-03, 04:07 PM
Q2 Is there any reason the archmage's Arcane Reach ability wouldn't work with touch spells with multiple targets? Say, teleport?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-03, 04:46 PM
A. 002

No, but you have to hit with a ranged touch attack and should now also be making touch attacks based on BAB instead of being able to touch 6 friends normally.

TheOOB
2007-09-03, 04:57 PM
Q.3 When using Unearthed Arcana's rules for Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) at what levels would a human natural werewolf (2 HD, +3 LA) be able to buyback a LA, and how much experiance would they need total to become character level 20 with no LA?

TheLogman
2007-09-03, 05:13 PM
Q. 4 Are there any spells with the descriptor [Universal] besides the five in the Player's Handbook?

EDIT: I see now that there are five, thank you for the info, but are there any in Splat-books/other things?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-03, 05:19 PM
A. 003

You may eligible for a LA decrease when you have character levels equaling three time your LA. At that point you can pay an XP-cost to have the LA reduced by one.

A werewolf (natural) with a +3 LA can reduce at 9th class level or ECL 14. (reduction cost 13,000 xp)
The next reduction is possible 6 class levels later (15th class levels total) or ECL 19 (15 class levels + 2 racial HD + 2 LA). (reduction cost 18,000 xp)
The last reduction takes another 3 class levels (18th class levels total) or ECL 21 (18 class levels + 2 racial HD + 1 LA). (reduction cost 20,000 xp)

For the total XP cost you add what it takes to get to level 21 + 13,000 + 18,000 + 20,000

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-03, 05:22 PM
A. 004 Partial

There are five in the PHB:

arcane mark, limited wish, permanency, prestidigitation, and wish.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-03, 05:37 PM
A3: He would be able to buy back levels at ECL 14th, 19th, and 22nd level.

21st I believe. 18 levels + 2 HD + 1 LA.

Kizara
2007-09-03, 07:19 PM
Q: 5

Is there any way to cast 'personal' range divine spells on an ally?

And saying "yes, if it's a familiar or animal companion" is only helpful if you provide a remotely-possible way for your human ally to be considered your 'animal companion'.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-03, 07:38 PM
A 5

Stick the personal spell in a wand or scroll. Then the target can Use Magical Device to activate it. It can also be put into a magic item and used that way.

EDIT: And Imbue with Spell Ability will let the recipient cast some personal spells too.

Jasdoif
2007-09-03, 07:43 PM
Q006

Is the recipient of imbue with spell ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm) capable of activating spell trigger items containing the granted spell(s)? What about spell completion items?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-03, 08:05 PM
A006

Imbue with spell ability does not grant you spell lists, just the spells given to you. Thus it doesn't strictly qualify any more than if he didn't have the Imbue with spell ability.

yango
2007-09-03, 10:13 PM
Q007

If a Duskblade with Arcane Channeling (full attack) used the Combat Rhythm ability from the Stormguard Warrior feat (Tome of Battle), and channeled a spell with it that did damage (e.g. Shocking Grasp), would the spell still deal damage on each hit, even though the attacks didn't?

Grumlich
2007-09-03, 11:35 PM
Q008

What are the rules for bleeding to death in D&D?

Q009

If a character has cast Project Image and that image is hit by an attack, what happens to the image? Does the attacker make a will save each time it swings at and hits the image?

squishycube
2007-09-04, 12:53 AM
A008
I don't understand exactly what you mean, so I'll cover as much as possible.
- Dying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm):

Dying (-1 to -9 Hit Points)

When your character’s current hit points drop to between -1 and -9 inclusive, he’s dying.

A dying character immediately falls unconscious and can take no actions.

A dying character loses 1 hit point every round. This continues until the character dies or becomes stable (see below).
Dead (-10 Hit Points or Lower)

When your character’s current hit points drop to -10 or lower, or if he takes massive damage (see above), he’s dead. A character can also die from taking ability damage or suffering an ability drain that reduces his Constitution to 0.
The section in the SRD about death and dying also mentions recovering from negative hit points, either by yourself (with a large chance of bleeding to death) or with help.

Some abilities deal damage for several rounds, or on several occasions with a larger interval (like poisions, two times with a minute in between).

A009
Disbelief
A successful save lets the subject ignore the effect.

If the attacker succeeds its will save, the illusion is clearly an illusion but still visible. I am not sure whether one save is made, or a new save for each interaction. I'd opt for a new save each time. I have no more time, so I can't check FAQ. Maybe someone else can verify this.

Sorry Yango, but I don't know the answer to your question (Core+Psionics Rules only :smallsmile: )

Chineselegolas
2007-09-04, 01:16 AM
Q010
A barbarian with the lion spiritual totem from Complete Champion can make a full attack on the charge. A sugliin (from Frostburn) requires a full round action to attack.
As a full attack is a full round action, is a sugliin able to be used on the charge by a lion totem barbarian?

Q011
Can you make an AoO with a sugliin?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-04, 01:28 AM
A. 010

A full round action is not the same as a full attack even if they both require a full round action.

You need the Sugliin Mastery feat to be able to use the weapon normally.

A. 011

Yes, IIRC you still threaten with the weapon, even without the Sugliin Mastery feat.

Spelluck
2007-09-04, 03:55 AM
Q012

How often does mommy rot pulse? After the intial CON/CHR hit how long will it be before the character will need to roll another save?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-04, 04:38 AM
A. 012

You need to roll a save every day (as normal for diseases).

Curmudgeon
2007-09-04, 07:23 AM
Q. 4 Are there any spells with the descriptor [Universal] besides the five in the Player's Handbook?

A 4: Yes.

Oh, you want more details? OK, then, there are 4 [Universal] spells involving familiars in Spell Compendium:
Enhance Familiar
Familiar Pocket
Fortify Familiar
Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability

Curmudgeon
2007-09-04, 07:32 AM
Q: 5

Is there any way to cast 'personal' range divine spells on an ally?A 5

The most generally useable way is via a Ring of Spell Storing. Cast the spell(s) into the Ring, then hand the Ring to your ally. Unlike the method requiring your ally to have Use Magic Device skill, this works for anybody who can use magic items (so excludes those with Vow of Poverty).

Glaivemaster
2007-09-04, 07:57 AM
Q. 012 Seems like a bit of a silly question, but when a creature has an attack listed as, for example "2 claws +4 melee (damage)" does that count as one attack, which uses both claws, or an attack that can be used twice, with separate rolls to hit?

Curmudgeon
2007-09-04, 08:06 AM
A 7: Yes.

The Arcane Channeling ability states

If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved. The Combat Rhythm ability sutstitutes melee touch attacks in place of normal melee attacks, but Arcane Channeling works with any type of melee attack. The attack deals 0 damage as normal, followed by the damage from the channeled spell.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-04, 08:08 AM
A 12

It's 2 separate attacks of identical type (1 for each claw), rolled independently.

Alveanerle
2007-09-04, 09:41 AM
Q. 013
Would it be possible for the first post of this thread to link to all previous "Simble Q&A" threads instead of just the first one?
Might be potentialy helpful to newcomers.
Just an idea.

Zen Master
2007-09-04, 04:22 PM
Q. 14 The psionic power empathic transfer, hostile - states that by augmenting the power with 6 points, you do damage to everyone within 20 feet.

My question is this - does everyone in the area take the full damage, or do creatures in the area share the damage?

Basically, a psionic creature can do 90 points of damage at level 15, will save for half, to everyone within the area. Is this correct or not?

From SRD:
Empathic Transfer, Hostile
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 3, psychic warrior 3
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 5

You transfer your hurt to another. When you manifest this power and then make a successful touch attack, you can transfer 50 points of damage (or less, if you choose) from yourself to the touched creature. You immediately regain hit points equal to the amount of damage you transfer.

You cannot use this power to gain hit points in excess of your full normal total. The transferred damage is empathic in nature, so powers and abilities the subject may have such as damage reduction and regeneration do not lessen or change this damage.

The damage transferred by this power has no type, so even if the subject has immunity to the type of damage you originally took, the transfer occurs normally and deals hit point damage to the subject.
Augment

You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

1. For every additional power point you spend, you can transfer an additional 10 points of damage (maximum 90 points per manifestation).
2. If you spend 6 additional power points, this power affects all creatures in a 20-foot-radius spread centered on you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-04, 04:36 PM
A. 014

Everyone potentially takes full damage. There is no mention of dividing it between the creatures affected just as you do not divide the damage done by a Fireball.

Zen Master
2007-09-04, 04:40 PM
A. 014

Everyone potentially takes full damage. There is no mention of dividing it between the creatures affected just as you do not divide the damage done by a Fireball.

I know. My reasoning is that you transfer damage done to you. So the total sum of damage you have taken is the damage you can transfer. Dunno - I thought it was worth asking.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-04, 04:50 PM
I know. My reasoning is that you transfer damage done to you. So the total sum of damage you have taken is the damage you can transfer. Dunno - I thought it was worth asking.

I certainly see your point, but again, as it is written everybody just gets to feel your pain. :smallwink:

Awetugiw
2007-09-04, 06:08 PM
Q15 I remember someone talking about a feat or ability called "Metamagic Focus" or something like that, reducing the cost of using metamagic feats. Is this a feat or ability, and what book is it in?

Thomix
2007-09-04, 07:13 PM
Q 16

In complet arcane, they say that a warlock can use his invocation at will. So, a warlock can use any invocation he know anytime he want?

If he know, in exemple, eldritch spear, can the warlock affect ALL eldritch blast he use during the day with eldritch spear invocation?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-04, 07:23 PM
A 16

Yes. Invocations are spell-like abilities useable at will as a standard action. Unlike other spell-like abilities, however, they have somatic components and are subject to Arcane Spell Failure. Antimagic fields can also prevent a warlock from using spell-like abilities.

Only one Blast Shape can be applied to a warlock's eldritch blast at any given time. So you can use eldritch spear on all eldritch blasts that do not have any other Blast Shape invocations applied to them. The same goes for Eldritch Essence invocations. Though you can mix one Blast Shape and one Eldritch Essence together on the same eldritch blast.

martyboy74
2007-09-04, 08:39 PM
A15 There are 2 feats that do this. Arcane Thesis (PHBII) applies to one spell, and reduces all metamagics placed on that spell's cost. Easy Metamagic (Dragon) is applied to a metamagic, and the cost of applying that metamagic to something is reduced. Practiced Metamagic (RoD) is the same thing as Easy Metamagic, but it's in an actual book, and thus carries slightly more authority with some DMs than something from Dragon.

Jasdoif
2007-09-04, 09:11 PM
A013 sort of

There's over 1,700 questions asked across the three prior threads. I have doubts that links will be of much use, better to search (either using Google or the board's own search capability) for answers.

That said, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18288) ya (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36006) go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45885).

Dhavaer
2007-09-04, 09:25 PM
Q 17

If a weapon enhanced with the shadow striking ability (pg 155, Tome of Magic) attunes to a Gelugon, it emulates having the Good alignment and bypasses the Gelugon's damage reduction. The ability description is unclear as to whether the emulation is limited to bypassing damage reduction or if the weapon would count as Good for the purpose of the Gelugon's regeneration.

UglyPanda
2007-09-04, 09:29 PM
Q 18

Can an elan die of natural causes and are elan druids effectively immortal?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-04, 09:34 PM
A 018

As explained in the errata to the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Elans have no maximum age. An Elan can still be killed through injury, poison, disease, suffocation, and any other form of death other than old age. (Though, of course, a high level elan druid does gain immunity to poison.)

Jasdoif
2007-09-04, 09:34 PM
A018

All Elans are effectively immortal, at least as far as aging goes. Elans have no maximum age.

^ EDIT: Thank you for relenting on your verbatim use of my second sentence :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-04, 09:40 PM
A 017

"Shadow striking weapons draw on the reflective nature of shadow to alter their nature and overcome damage reduction."

The ability is clearly intended to only overcome damage reduction.

Mephe
2007-09-05, 12:35 AM
Q#19
Can you masterwork a bow to to do more damage?

Jasdoif
2007-09-05, 12:49 AM
A019

Though this isn't related to making a masterwork bow, you can make a composite bow with a higher strength rating then +0, allowing you to add part (or all) of your Strength bonus to damage rolls.

kme
2007-09-05, 06:42 AM
Q#20
Can metamagic school focus feat be applied to two metamagic feats used on same spell(for example can you spend 2 uses of ability to prepare maximized empowered fireball in 6 level slot) .

Q#21
Can you manifest syncronicity power(CP and RoD) more than once in the same round(using quicken power, twin power, linked power, shism etc.) to get more than one standard action/readyed action.

Q#22
Can linked power metapsionic feat be used normaly on powers with swift and immediate action manifesting time.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-05, 07:36 AM
A 19

No. The Masterwork property only affects the attack bonus of weapons to which it is applied. However, various sources have printed different properties or materials that add to damage. Unfortunately, specific ones escape me at the moment, though I'm sure there's one in Dragon #358. I'll edit this post with any more relevant information when I find it.

A 21

No. Synchronicity only lets you ready an action without specifying the triggering condition (and, if augmented, the action itself). Using it twice would result in an overlapping effect.

Remember, readying an action is a standard action itself, so using synchronicity doesn't grant you any extra actions to begin with.

A 22

There is no restriction on the manifesting time of the powers used with Linked Power. You can link powers with swift and immediate manifesting times, if you so choose.

Re: A15 (Slightly OT)

....but it's in an actually book, and thus carries slightly more authority than something from Dragon.

Dragon magazine content is 100% Official. Says so right on the cover by the official Dungeons & Dragons logo. Not sure how you can get more authority than that.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-05, 09:09 AM
A. 20 (A. 20 in the above post refers to A. 22 if I am not greatly mistaken)

Q#20
Can metamagic school focus feat be applied to two metamagic feats used on same spell(for example can you spend 2 uses of ability to prepare maximized empowered fireball in 6 level slot) .

Yes, you can apply it to as many different feats as you have daily uses.

Peregrine
2007-09-05, 02:48 PM
Q. 23: The divine oracle (CDiv) grants access to the Oracle domain. It's quite possible to qualify for the class without being a cleric, though, or any other class with domain spell slots. What does such a character do with the domain, then? The text says only that a divine oracle "can choose the spells in that domain as her daily domain spells".

Fax Celestis
2007-09-05, 03:18 PM
A23 The beginning of the Prestige Class chapter in CDiv deals with classes that don't normally have Domains and gaining them.

Peregrine
2007-09-05, 03:45 PM
I am so blind. Thanks Fax.

Of course it still leaves me a little confused...

Q. 23a: CDiv says quite clearly that classes like druids, paladins and rangers can prepare a domain spell in place of a regular spell for the day. It says no such thing for wizards, instead merely saying that a wizard must scribe the spell as normal, and thereafter can prepare one domain spell of each level per day. Is this in place of a regular spell slot, or in addition to?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-05, 03:53 PM
A23a It is in place of, not in addition to.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-06, 04:37 AM
Q. 23: The divine oracle (CDiv) grants access to the Oracle domain. It's quite possible to qualify for the class without being a cleric, though, or any other class with domain spell slots. What does such a character do with the domain, then?

A 23

You gain the domain's granted power: cast divination spells at +2 caster level. This works for all divination spells -- divine or arcane.

kme
2007-09-06, 07:27 AM
A 21

No. Synchronicity only lets you ready an action without specifying the triggering condition (and, if augmented, the action itself). Using it twice would result in an overlapping effect.

Remember, readying an action is a standard action itself, so using synchronicity doesn't grant you any extra actions to begin with.

OK I see why should they overlap but:

Q#24
If I manifest Synchronicity as a swift action I would get to ready an action without spending my standard action, correct?(I assumed this because the power itself takes standard action to manifest and in its description it actually says that you get your readied action without spending an action)

If that is correct then:
Q#25
If they overlap, can I actually spend those readied actions as soon as I get them to avoid overlap.(example: I manifest some power then I use quicken Synchronicity and spend my readied action instantly, and then I manifest Synchronicity again with shism and wait to use it as normal readied action)

if it is not correct:
Q#26
What happens if I cast Synchronicity without spending my standard action(from quicken or linked power from previous round)?Do I lose it?Or what happens if I cast Synchronicity after I spent my standard action?

Yes, I know Im boring with my abusing questions :smallbiggrin: .

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-06, 08:05 AM
A. 024

Yes, I am afraid so.

A. 025

Yes, Schism would work, but interpreting Synchronicity to overlap with itself will help prevent a little of this cheese since you cannot take ready actions until your turn is over.

READY

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).

This Power is so poorly worded that it might generate unfair antagonism towards Psionics. :smallsigh:

A. 026

Not applicable.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-06, 08:19 AM
Q. 027

What is the creature type/subtype of a warforged?

Cite sources please. I think it might be in one of the MM's.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-06, 08:27 AM
A 24 & 26

Okay, yes. I neglected to consider things like Quicken Power. You can indeed get extra actions if you can manage manifest syncronicity as a swift or immediate action. Yes, you would be able to use a normal set of actions on your normal turn, including manifesting syncronicity, then you would get your readied action. Remember, though that taking your readied action would still change you initiative.

Since manifesting syncronicity puts you into "readied" mode, I think you typically would have to use it in a quickened form after your normal set of actions. Manifesting it before your move and standard action would probably disrupt things.

As for #25, I agree with Silvanos.

A 27

A warforged is a Construct (living construct). Sources Eberron Campaign Setting and Monster Manual III.

Sepp
2007-09-06, 08:29 AM
A.027

Warforged - Medium Construct(Living Construct) MM3, pg. 190

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-06, 08:29 AM
A. 027

Type: Construct
Subtype: Living Construct

Sources: Eberron Campaign Setting, MM III.

EDIT: Ninja'ed again. :smallsigh:

Alveanerle
2007-09-06, 09:10 AM
Q. 028
Travel domain special power is worded as this:

For a total time per day of 1 round per cleric level you possess, you can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds).

Which one is the correct interpretation of the effect?
A. The effect triggers on each condition that is countered by freedom of movement spell
B. The effect triggers only for magical effects, and the freedom of movement is effective in place only for those magical effects
C. The effect triggers only for magical effects, but once it is triggered the cleric enjoys benefits of freedom of movement also versus nonmagical effects (free underwater movement, no-no to grapples, etc).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-06, 09:42 AM
A. 028

B, it only says magical effects.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-06, 09:42 AM
A 28

B. The effect triggers only for magical effects, and the freedom of movement is effective in place only for those magical effects.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-06, 01:27 PM
PHB-II Spell Questions
Q29 Does the baleful blink spell allow those attacking the subject of it to qualify for sneak attack?

Q30 How long does the SR reduction quality of the condemnation spell last?

Q31 When does the penalty from the crushing grip spell come into effect? The spell says "at the beginning of the next turn..." but also says that "The spell does not begin until you complete casting it."

Q32 What happens if you use Energy Substitution on the as the frost spell? What about Energy Admixture?

Q33 What exactly does rouse do?

Q34 Where are creatures affected by the wrack earth spell moved to?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-06, 02:10 PM
A 29
The subject of the spell does not lose its Dex bonus, nor is it considered flanked by virtue of the spell. The Material Plane is visible from the Ethereal, so the subject can see attackers just fine. Sneak Attack does not apply.

A 30
The spell has a duration of 1 round. All effects of the spell last 1 round. (Yeah, stupid wording in the description.)

A 31
The spell's first effect—the penalties to attacks, checks, saves, AC, and movement—starts as soon as you start casting it. Right on your turn.

Crushing grip has a 1 round casting time, however, and the spell's second effect—paralysis—doesn't start until you finish casting the spell, just before your next turn.

The 3 round duration listed in the spell header does not start until the casting is completed. This effectively means the penalties to attacks, checks, saves, AC, and movement last 4 rounds while the rest of the spell lasts for only three.

I am having trouble finding the generic statement, ""The spell does not begin until you complete casting it."

A 32
Energy Substitution: The spell uses the exchanged element and takes on the new energy descriptor. For example, using Energy Substitution (Electricity) would turn you into a lightning creature, granting you immunity to electricity and causing creatures near you to take electricity damage. The Damage Reduction and slow effect would remain the same.

Energy Admixture: The only game effects created by Energy Admixture, as revealed in the feat's description, are to change the spell descriptor and deal additional damage. An Energy Admixture (electricity) applied to as the cold would cause nearby creatures to take 2d6 cold damage and 2d6 electricity damage on your turn as well as turn it into a [Cold, Electricity] spell. It would have no other effects. Immunity would still be to Cold, and to Cold only. The Damage Reduction and slow effect would remain the same.

A 33
It wakes up all sleeping creatures in the area of effect. Unfortunately, the spell's effect is entirely described within the italicized area normally reserved for pure flavor text.

A 34
The spell creates a line. Creatures are randomly moved to one or the other side of the line.

Example:
Before casting wrack earth (c = caster; t = target; b = bystander):
{table]b| | | | | | | | |
c|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
b| | | | | | | | | [/table]
Before casting wrack earth (c = caster; t = target; b = bystander; d = difficult terrain):
{table]b|t| |t| |t| | |t|t
c|d|d|d|d|d|d|d|d|d
b| |t| |t| |t|t| | [/table]
(bystanders included to solve a rendering problem.)

Fax Celestis
2007-09-06, 02:14 PM
Q29Cont However, creatures who attack from total concealment also qualify for Sneak Attack, and the spell causes the target to treat all other creatures as if they had total concealment.

Q31Cont The line in question is the last line of the spell.

Q34Cont So they're randomly determined? I can't choose where they're pushed to?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-06, 02:27 PM
A 29 Cont
This "Concealment" only applies for the purpose of the subject's attacks. Other creatures do not actually gain concealment. "As if the target of the attack had total concealment" is simply a note describing how to adjucate the miss chance. Note, and ability to ignore concealment on the part of the subject of baleful blink would not help the subject for the same reason.

A 31 Cont.
The last line of the spell reads "The spell's duration begins after you have completed casting it." This refers to the duration countdown, which I referenced in my previous answer when I stated that the penalties to attacks, saves, checks, AC, and movement effectively last 4 rounds while the paralysis only lasts for the listed three round duration.

A 34
The spell states, "Creatures that within the area that fail their Reflex saves are moved to a random side of the rubble."

However, since the way lines are determined in 3.5 effectively makes all lines 10 ft. wide, I would recommend pushing the targets to whichever side is closest, saving random chance for odd cases where it is difficult to determine the closest side. (Note that the above diagrams were simplified and do not accurately reflect the rules for generating lines as they should be applied.)

Brawls
2007-09-06, 05:19 PM
Q35
Are there any special rules for breaking materwork items? Specifically, do MW weapons have a greater hardness or hit points than their non-MW counterparts?

Regards,

0rigin
2007-09-06, 05:26 PM
Q36.
When a character's intelligence bonus goes up due to leveling, do they retroactively gain skill points for all the past levels? For example: There is a cleric with an intelligence of 11 (+0). He has two skills (Knowledge: Religion, and Knowledge: the Planes). Both are at max skill points. The character hits level 4 and raises his intelligence to 12 (+1). This gives him one additional skill point per level. Does this apply retroactively, allowing him to suddenly spontaneously develop another skill at max ranks (with a roleplay reason, of course)?

(My gut thought is no, but there's already a precedent for hit points, so I thought I should ask.)

Jasdoif
2007-09-06, 05:54 PM
A036

No. The rules specifically state that you do not get skill points retroactively.

Awetugiw
2007-09-06, 06:42 PM
Q37Fortunate fate is a level 7 conjuration (healing) spell, that basically acts as a contigent heal, a level 6 conjuration (healing) spell. If I have Augment Healing (or any other thing that depends on spell level, really) does it act on the healing as if it is a level 7 spell (for fortunate fate), or a level 6 (for the heal triggered by fortunate fate)?

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-06, 06:42 PM
Q38:

Is there a way for a ranger to get a unicorn or a pegasus as an animal companion?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-06, 06:45 PM
A37 As the seventh level spell.

A38 There's a prestige class in Faiths and Pantheons for a ranger who follows Mielikki, if I recall correctly, that gets a Unicorn animal companion.

Alternatively, you could alter the Algarondan Griffinrider PrC from Unapproachable East to give a Pegasus instead of a Griffin.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-06, 07:28 PM
A 35

No. Masterwork items are typically as fragile as their normal versions.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-06, 09:14 PM
Q39: Can you charge in / through a snow-covered square?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-06, 09:18 PM
A 39
If the snow is deep enough to reduce your movement (i.e. it counts as difficult terrain), you cannot charge directly through the square. However, if you make a high enough jump check to jump over the affected square(s), you can continue the charge, as you can jump as part of a charge.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-07, 12:39 AM
Q40: Do the Augment Summoning feat and the Rapid Summoner variant affect Summon Monster spells cast from a wand?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-07, 12:54 AM
A. 040

No, a spell from a Wand does not benefit from any of the feats you have unless it is mentioned in the description of the feat.

Zen Master
2007-09-07, 02:56 AM
Q. 41

Regarding Soulknives ...

Whats up with their BAB progression? Is that an oversight, or did insanity dictate that they should get their third attack at level 20?

Also, regarding the psychic strike. If a soulknife creates two weapons, can he (or she) charge them both for psychic strikes? Are they considered to always both be charged? Or can only one be charged?

Even further - do you simply divide your plusses for enhancement between the two blades? As in, I can get a +4 effect on one blade, or a +2 effect on both?

(is that last question covered in the psionics book? I can't remember now)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-07, 03:42 AM
A. 041

Q. 41

Regarding Soulknives ...

Whats up with their BAB progression? Is that an oversight, or did insanity dictate that they should get their third attack at level 20?

Edit: See below.

Also, regarding the psychic strike. If a soulknife creates two weapons, can he (or she) charge them both for psychic strikes? Are they considered to always both be charged? Or can only one be charged?

Psychic Strike works on each blade separately and the ability is not restricted to one blade, so yes, both could be charged.

Even further - do you simply divide your plusses for enhancement between the two blades? As in, I can get a +4 effect on one blade, or a +2 effect on both?

Both blade has an enhancement bonus one point lower than a single blade would have had.

(is that last question covered in the psionics book? I can't remember now)

Yes, it can be found in the description of the Shape Mind Blade ability.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-07, 07:27 AM
A 41

BAB: It is a misprint. See the Errata for Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Alveanerle
2007-09-07, 09:07 AM
Q. 42
Multiple ready actions.

What happens when multiple players have readied an action basing on the same trigger and the trigger condition happens?
Do they make their actions "all at one", or according to their previous initiative?
What happens if action of one player cancels the trigger condition?

Imagine such a situation:
Player A - i shoot my bow when i see that damn red frog appear.
Player B - throw my hammer when i see that damn red from appear.
The frog appears, player A shoots his bow, hits true, and kills the the frog in a fountain of blood.
What happens to player B? Wouldl he be forced throw his hammer anyway at the frog carcass?

Would anything change if player A had an action readied "i cast obscuring mist - covering both me, player b, and the frog, once that damn red frog appears"?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-07, 09:19 AM
A. 42

Q. 42
Multiple ready actions.

What happens when multiple players have readied an action basing on the same trigger and the trigger condition happens?
Do they make their actions "all at one", or according to their previous initiative?

The one with the highest initiative modifier would get to act first as per the rules for action on same initiative count.

What happens if action of one player cancels the trigger condition?

Imagine such a situation:
Player A - i shoot my bow when i see that damn red frog appear.
Player B - throw my hammer when i see that damn red from appear.
The frog appears, player A shoots his bow, hits true, and kills the the frog in a fountain of blood.
What happens to player B? Wouldl he be forced throw his hammer anyway at the frog carcass?

Would anything change if player A had an action readied "i cast obscuring mist - covering both me, player b, and the frog, once that damn red frog appears"?

The trigger condition is not canceled, but your readied action might be impossible to complete.

You are never forced to take a ready action. If the conditions are triggered you have the choice of completing ir or not taking any action.

theterran
2007-09-07, 11:50 AM
Q43 What's RAW stand for? (Acronyms are no my friends!)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-07, 11:54 AM
A. 043

RAW: Rules As Written

You will see RAI used sometimes too.

RAI: Rules As Intended

theterran
2007-09-07, 12:16 PM

Jasdoif
2007-09-07, 12:19 PM
You are never forced to take a ready action. If the conditions are triggered you have the choice of completing ir or not taking any action....naturally I recall these details when I don't have the DMG available to actually verify that it isn't my imagination :smallsigh:

I recall the DMG saying something about having to take a readied action. I think the example it gave was that of a player readying an action to shoot the next person who came in a door, and the next person happened to be an ally. Said the player would take the readied action, or perhaps the DM should allow a Wisdom check to identify the creature as an ally to negate the attack.

Can't remember if it was a rule or a variant/suggestion, though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-07, 12:25 PM
...naturally I recall these details when I don't have the DMG available to actually verify that it isn't my imagination :smallsigh:

I recall the DMG saying something about having to take a readied action. I think the example it gave was that of a player readying an action to shoot the next person who came in a door, and the next person happened to be an ally. Said the player would take the readied action, or perhaps the DM should allow a Wisdom check to identify the creature as an ally to negate the attack.

I am away from my books at the moment (theterran: AFB = Away From Book(s) ), but if your recollection is correct the description is poorly worded.

Readying an Action: ... To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.
(My emphasis)

It says may and not must.

Sepp
2007-09-07, 12:30 PM
...naturally I recall these details when I don't have the DMG available to actually verify that it isn't my imagination :smallsigh:

DMG page 25-26

The standard rule is the player can choose to keep his action ready (i.e not use it when the conditions to trigger it are met) However, it does suggest that since combat is fast and furious, the DM can rule other wise.

It suggests a DC 15 Wisdom check to keep the action, or that the player simply lose the action. It then goes on to say that the smart player will learn to be specific as possible when stating their readied actions triggering conditions.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-07, 02:18 PM
Re: A048

Abbreviation queries can also be answered in the Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms thread. It's stickied on the Gaming Forum, so it's easy to find. Oftentimes just under this thread. :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2007-09-07, 02:35 PM
Q44:

The text of the spell true strike indicates that the only attack affected is "the next attack," but the text of cleave indicates that the free extra attack is made at the "same attack bonus." I assume this means the same BAB, and the spell doesn't affect your cleave attack, just as it wouldn't affect your iterative attacks. Is this correct?

Zherog
2007-09-07, 02:41 PM
A 44

The FAQ answers this question, sort of:

The Cleave feat states that the extra attack is “at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature.” Does this really mean that all bonuses and penalties on the first attack roll—aid another, smite evil, flanking, true strike, and so on—apply to the second?

The “bonus” referred to by Cleave means “base attack bonus,” not “total bonus.” If a 6th-level fighter drops a foe with his second attack, he makes the extra attack using his base attack bonus –5 (the same “bonus” as he used for his second attack).

If you aren’t flanking the new foe, it’s absurd to claim that you’d get a +2 bonus on the attack roll just because you were flanking the dropped foe. Any lasting bonuses or penalties—such as from the bless spell, a high or low Strength score, being fatigued, or the like—apply to the extra attack just as they would to any other attack you make.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-07, 02:42 PM
A 44
That is correct. "Same bonus" refers to BAB.

For the same reason, you wouldn't get other conditional bonuses—such as flanking—on a cleave attack unless the condition that grants the bonus is also present on the extra attack.

[hr]Well, I was going to come back with te FAQ reference, but Zherog beat me to it. Though, for the record, the current FAQ, which was released on July 13, 2007, features the question on page 33.

AngelAndrius
2007-09-07, 06:06 PM
45 Is there a feat that allows me to use a chakram (or similar ranged weapon) to make a ranged trip attack?

46 Also, can chakrams be used in melee combat?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-07, 06:24 PM
A 45 (Number your questions, please)

There is no feat I am aware of. However, bolas are a weapon that can be used to make ranged trip attacks. Bolas are available in the PHB and SRD.

Most throwing weapons can be used as improvised melee weapons. Of course, this does inflict the -4 improvised weapon penalty.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-07, 09:40 PM
Q. 046 Deck of Illusions

A DoI can be found that is not a full deck. So it is conceivable that a depleted deck could be down to its last card. The description describes drawing a card at random and flinging it to the ground in order to activate the illusion. If there is only one card it is not very random. Also some rogues may not believe in fair play so their 'random' draw may not be so random. So my question is:
a) Can you 'stack' a deck, either by combining depleted decks or purchasing replacement cards?
b) Can you look at the card before flinging it?
c) Can someone hide various cards on various parts of their body so that they could essentially pick the card they want?

I can make a thread if this is too complex for RAW, but I was hoping for a clear ruling.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-07, 09:59 PM
A 46
A full deck contains 34 cards. When randomly generated deck comes up as being less than full, it is only missing 1d20 cards. Therefore, a randomly generated deck has at least 14 cards. This reduces initial problems with finding a deck that has only one card.

a) No. When you pick up a used card, the illusion it created is dispelled. When an illusion is dispelled, the card becomes blank and useless. (seventh and eigth sentences of the first paragraph in item description)

Generally items that are presented as a set must be created as a complete set. Because of this, such items are rarely sold outside of complete sets. Note that if there is any sort of magic that requires random drawing of cards to activate the magic (a non-RAW assumption, but see below for reasoning), that magic would likely prevent the mixing and matching of cards from different decks.

b) Since the deck only refers to randomly drawing cards, I would assume no. Perhaps drawing a card automatically triggers an "activation" mode and the card must be used or lost. Alternatively, you can look at the card, but the magic only activates if you choose a random card. The description doesn't really go into detail, but I assume selection must be random.

c) Once again, it seems the magic is only activated by randomly drawing a card from the entire deck.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-08, 12:38 AM
Q47: When casting a 1 round spell from a wand, does taking damage force you to make a concentration (or other) check?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-08, 01:17 AM
A. 047

No, spell completion items and drinking/applying potions/oils are typically the only magic items that provoke AoOs.

In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted.

kme
2007-09-08, 07:40 AM
Q#48
Is there any rules for stacking immediate actions (like in M:TG)? If no such rules exist what happens when someone cast celerity and then someone else decides to cast celerity too? Does the one who said it first take the action first?(I just mention celerity as an interesting example, but maybe other spells/abilities can bring up some other issues).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-08, 10:22 AM
A. 048

There are no interrupt rules as such, but if two creatures decide to use an immediate action on the same initiative count the creature with the highest initiative modifier should go first as per the rules for acting on the same initiative count.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 11:38 AM
A48Cont Also note that, should they have equal Initiative counts, the one with the higher Dexterity modifier goes first. Should they both have the same Dexterity modifier, they should roll a separate Initiative check against each other to see who goes first.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-08, 12:32 PM
A48Cont Also note that, should they have equal Initiative counts, the one with the higher Dexterity modifier goes first.

Do you have a source for this? The initiative rules only talk about initiative modifier, not dex.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 01:09 PM
Do you have a source for this? The initiative rules only talk about initiative modifier, not dex.

I...Hm. Perhaps that's a carryover from a previous edition, or perhaps merely a house rule that's stuck with me for eternity.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-08, 01:31 PM
A 47
Using a spell trigger item is a separate type of action from casting a spell. There is no reference to any condition ever requiring a Concentration check when using a spell trigger item within the rules.

A 48
Immediate actions are taken in response to other actions and do interrupt the action to which they respond, much like AoOs. When necessary, immediate actions should probably follow the same Last In First Out relationship as AoOs. So a character would be able to take an immediate action in response to one action, and another character can respond to that immediate action with their own immediate action. The second character's immediate action would resolve first.

If multiple characters are reacting to the same event with their own immediate actions, however, it should probably be resolved via initiative order, as suggested above. When characters have the same initiative order, there is typically a roll off. So follow the same procedure. (Of course this would only matter if the order of resolution is in some way important.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-08, 01:31 PM
I...Hm. Perhaps that's a carryover from a previous edition, or perhaps merely a house rule that's stuck with me for eternity.

Come 4e we will all have even more baggage to carry around.:smallwink:

PlatinumJester
2007-09-08, 03:38 PM
Q49 - How much would a returning harpoon cost? and how much would it cost if it had the sonic description as well?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-08, 03:59 PM
A. 049

To calculate the price of a magic weapon you take the base cost of the weapon (15 gp in this case) and add 300 gp for making it masterwork, which is a requirement for magic weapons.

Before you can add any special abilities the weapon must also have a +1 enhancement bonus, so totally we have:

Masterwork Harpoon: 315 gp
+3 weapon (+1 enhancement, +1 Returning, +1 Sonic): 18000 gp

= 18315 gp.

OR

Masterwork Harpoon: 315 gp
+2 weapon (+1 enhancement, +1 Returning): 8000 gp

= 8315 gp.

Alveanerle
2007-09-08, 04:18 PM
Q. 050
critial crippling sneak attack

If a rogue succeds on a critical hit for an attack that fulfills sneak attack conditions, and the rogue is skilled enough to be able to employ Crippling Strike extraordinary ability, does the strength damage from the crippling strike get multiplied by critical hit modificator?

Jasdoif
2007-09-08, 04:25 PM
A050

Yes. Crippling Strike deals ability damage, and the general rule for ability damage is that it gets multiplied on criticals.

If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit, it deals twice the indicated amount of damage (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice).

Alveanerle
2007-09-08, 06:27 PM
Q. 051
The Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle: in the table it states it allows to use dex in place of str. The description itself does not say anything about replacing, just adding: "you can add your Dex modifier as a bonus".

What's the ruling here? Does shadow blade replace the bonus or add a new one?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 06:36 PM
A51 Text Trumps Table, and therefore it adds, not replaces.

Zherog
2007-09-08, 07:33 PM
A 45, add'l info

I don't know of any feats (though there are feats for disarm, sunder, and grapple). However, the Master Thrower prestige class (Complete Warrior, page 58) has a "trick" that allows it.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-08, 11:59 PM
Q 52

What are the stats for a rock? Both in the hitting someone over the head sense and in the thrown sense?

Myatar_Panwar
2007-09-09, 01:11 AM
Q53 I was just wondering if the enchantment bonuses, etc, of a ranged weapon, stack with an ammunitions enchantment bonuses, etc. For instance, if I had shot a +2 Flaming light crossbow, with a +3 flaming bolt placed inside, would the damage therefore be 1d8+5+2d6fire?

Hmmm, I know I had another question... oh well.
Thanks in advance.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-09, 01:16 AM
A53
No, they do not. But you could combine a +1 flaming frost longbow with +1 unholy shocking arrows, resulting in a +1 flaming, frost, shock, unholy attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-09, 02:36 AM
A. 052 Partial

I don't think that there are many official stats for rocks.

Giants use rocks as weapons, but it requires an extraordinary ability.

Rock Throwing (Ex): Adult giants are accomplished rock throwers and receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls when throwing rocks. A giant of at least Large size can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to five range increments. The size of the range increment varies with the giant’s variety. A Huge giant can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects).

40-50 pound rocks deal 2d6 in damage.

60-80 pound rocks deal 2d8 in damage.

For Giants at least.

You could perhaps combine this with the information about the Throw Anything feat from Complete Warrior and the list of damage by weight from the same book.

Chineselegolas
2007-09-09, 03:37 AM
Q54: Pandemonic Silver (Complete Warrior, pg 136) can drive opponents to cower. Is there a new save against this effect every round or is it like many similar effects and can only affect someone once per 24 hours?

Q55: If I have two Pandemonic Silver weapons do those affected have to take two saves?

Thurbane
2007-09-09, 04:48 AM
Q56 - Wild Cohort feat questions

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

56a. Can an animal chosen as a Wild Cohort also serve as a familiar?

56b. What would be the effects of using an Awaken spell on a Wild Cohort? Could it still serve as a cohort?

56c. What would be the appropriate level for a mule to serve as a wild cohort, as I don't think they are specifically mentioned? Or are they not on ther because they are a domesticated animal?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-09, 05:09 AM
A. 054

The description leaves us guessing. The effect probably should have said something along the lines of:

A potentially affected creature that succeeds on its Will save remains immune to that particular weapon's scream for 24 hours.

But it does not.

All we know is that the weapon screams when unsheathed in at least a light breeze.

As long as you are in the area of effect you are subject to the effects of the scream if you do not make make your saving throw. If you stay in the area you would have to make a saving throw every round.

Another, perhaps more reasonable, interpretation would be that the act of unsheathing the weapon activates the effect, so it only affects those in the area when the weapon is unsheathed and not in the subsequent rounds.
This would of course make Quick Draw a popular feat for holders of a Pandemonic Silver weapon to force everyone to make 3 saves in the first round and 2 every following round.

A. 055

Yes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-09, 05:26 AM
A. 056a

No.

Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar.

A. 056b

Not as a wild cohort. You would probably have to use the Leadership feat, since it is hardly a wild animal anymore.

A. 056c

You would have to wok that out with the DM. But if a wild mule is allowed it should probably be available at 1st level.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-09-09, 08:23 AM
Q 57
Item Creation
No spell pre-requisite is given under the entry for the Spell Storing ability that may be added to magic weapons. However, as the Ring of Spell Storing is listed as requiring the spell "Imbue with Spell Ability", a 4th level Clerical spell, can only Clerics create items with Spell Storing ability? Would it not be possible to create a Spell Storing item using say "R**y's Mnemonic Enhancer"?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-09, 08:50 AM
A 57

RAW: Various components of a magic item can be contributed by multiple people. So you just need the priest there for the spell. I think you can also use a spell off a scroll, with appropriate UMD check.

OPINION: Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't do what imbue with spell ability does. So, you could make an enhancer ring, but it wouldn't work like spell storing.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-09-09, 08:56 AM
A 57

RAW: Various components of a magic item can be contributed by multiple people. So you just need the priest there for the spell. I think you can also use a spell off a scroll, with appropriate UMD check.

OPINION: Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't do what imbue with spell ability does. So, you could make an enhancer ring, but it wouldn't work like spell storing.

Hmmm... This means a wizard can't create an item to store spells (aside from potions and scrolls) by herself? I'm not sure I like that.
Is there no suggestion in the RAW that other spells can be used to create the same magic item effect - after all, Imbue with Spell Ability functions quite differently to the finished Spell Storing item.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-09, 09:10 AM
A. 057 Additional

No spell is required for creating a Spell Storing weapon, just a high enough level as per the description.

And as Citizen Joe said, a spell storing ring can be created by a wizard by hiring a cleric or similar to do the casting or casting the spell from a scroll or other item.

Saph
2007-09-09, 06:54 PM
Q. 58

Does firing a ray (or using any other ranged touch attack) while within an enemy's reach provoke an attack of opportunity?

Q. 59

Does the AC bonus from a Crystal of Arrow Deflection (Magic Item Compendium, page 25) apply against rays and ranged touch attacks? The text seems to use the terms "ranged weapon attacks" and "ranged attacks" interchangeably.

Q. 60

A Bard 10/Sublime Chord 10 has 4th-level spells from his Bard levels, and 4th-level spells from his Sublime Chord levels. Can he use spell slots from one to cast spells known from the other, or does he have two wholly different spell lists?

Q. 61

How much does 250gp of diamond dust weigh?

Q. 62

If a Duskblade uses his arcane channeling ability to attack with his weapon and channel a touch spell through it, and misses, can he hold the charge as with a normal touch spell and try again next turn?

Q. 63

Which came first, the phoenix or the flame? :P

- Saph

Citizen Joe
2007-09-09, 08:58 PM
A 63
F comes before P alphabetically so Flame would come before Pheonix by RAW.

UserClone
2007-09-09, 09:36 PM
Q64
A. Does the special ability of a weapon whose special ability relies upon a critical hit activate during a coup-de-gras? In other words:
B. A helpless opponent gets whacked with a soulbreaker longsword - does he gain the negative level?
C.If so, does he gain the negative level before or after he makes the save to determine whether he dies from the CdG?

Jasdoif
2007-09-09, 09:48 PM
A064

A: Yes, if the triggering condition is a critical hit. A coup de grace automatically scores a critical hit, which meets such critical conditions.
B: Yes, for the reasons mentioned above.
C: Before. The save or die is mentioned as happening if the foe survives the damage from the attack, so any effects from the attack must be resolved first.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-10, 12:38 AM
Q65

Can a full-round casting time spell be cast while directing a war-trained mount? If so, what sort of check (Ride or Concentration) would have to be made for what DC?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-10, 01:10 AM
A. 065

A Concentration check is needed to cast the spell while the mount is moving. If the mount just moves you have to make a checks for vigorous motion (DC 10 + spell level) and if the mount is running you have to make you need a check for violent motion (DC 15 + spell level).

You only need one hand for spellcasting, so unless you want to have the mount do something special a Ride check is not needed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-10, 01:13 AM
A. 058

Generally no. Firing a Ray is considered part of casting the spell or using the ability that allows you to make a ranged touch attack, so firing does not provoke an AoO, but the act of casting the spell might.

A. 059

It is poorly written indeed, but it does reference weapons (as opposed to the generic ranged attacks) and refers to the Deflect Arrows feat too.
I would have to interpret this to not include non-weapon attacks like spells etc..

A. 060

Spell lists are tracked separately as normal.

A. 061

It weighs too little to take into consideration, unless you are playing a truly epic game where the characters have millions in Diamond dust.

A. 062

The Duskblade's channeling follows the normal rules for spells, so unless the attack hits the spell is not discharged.
However, Improved channeling discharges the spell at the end of the round regardless.

Thurbane
2007-09-10, 01:18 AM
A. 056a

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD - Familiar
Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar.
A56a
Where does it say in the Wild Cohort feat that the animal is modified? Under a Druid (or Ranger's) animal companion it makes specific mention, but I can't find that anywhere in the Wild Cohort feat...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-10, 01:31 AM
A. 056a Continued

A56a
Where does it say in the Wild Cohort feat that the animal is modified? Under a Druid (or Ranger's) animal companion it makes specific mention, but I can't find that anywhere in the Wild Cohort feat...

The animal gains bonus HD, natural armor increases, ability increases, bonus tricks and special abilities.

It should be clear that the animal is no longer just a normal animal, even if it is not spelled out.

Alveanerle
2007-09-10, 06:49 AM
Q. 066
Rake attacks.

If a monster (say dire tiger or behir) has rake attacks, and starts a grapple - can he try to use those in the very round it started the grapple, or does it have to wait untill the next round is running?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-10, 07:01 AM
A. 066

Normally you cannot make Rake attacks in the same round you start the grapple.

A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn.

However, if the creature also has the Pounce special ability it can Rake as part of the Pounce full attack.

Pounce (Ex): When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

ski309
2007-09-10, 09:55 AM
Q 67

Do psionic races such as the Xeph that give bonus power points per level allow the PC to gain psionic focus, even if they are of a class that doesn't grant psionic powers or power points, such as a nonpsionic class or a soulknife?

Ikkitosen
2007-09-10, 09:58 AM
Q 67

Do psionic races such as the Xeph that give bonus power points per level allow the PC to gain psionic focus, even if they are of a class that doesn't grant psionic powers or power points, such as a nonpsionic class or a soulknife?

A 67: Yes.

Thomix
2007-09-10, 05:35 PM
Q 68

Did the ability of the swashbuckler to add int to dmg would work if he throw a dagger?

JackQ
2007-09-10, 05:42 PM
Q69

Two parts.

1. Do feats requiring a given stat (e.g., Combat Expertise requires Int 13+) become inactive/unavailable if the associated Stat is reduced from either damage or loss of an item?

2. Do feats that require a prerequisit feat (e.g., Improved Trip -> requires Combat Expertise) become inactive/unavailable if the prerequisit feat is no longer usable (e.g., if part 1 is "yes")?

Regards

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-10, 06:16 PM
A 68
There is no wording that specifies Insightful Strike as being useable only on melee attacks. It should work just fine with a thrown weapon.

A 69
Yes to both.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

Dhavaer
2007-09-10, 08:10 PM
Q 70

How does the Mettle ability interact with maneuvers that have saves, such as Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike? Would a successful save also negate a extra damage?

Q 71

Does the White Raven stance Leading The Charge apply to the initiator in the stance?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-10, 09:45 PM
A 70
Mettle effectively replaces any Saving Throw entry that reads Fort partial or Will partial with Fort negates or Will negates. This means the entire effect is completely negated. In the case of five-shadow creeping ice enervation strike, a successful save would even negate the extra 15d6 damage that usually cannot be avoided. However, I assume the character would still take the normal melee damage, as it's not strictly part of the maneuver's effect.

A 71
Yes. You are considered to be your own ally. Anything that applies to your allies also applies to you, unless otherwise noted.

Source: PHB Glossary, pg. 304

Douglas
2007-09-10, 09:45 PM
A69b correction
While the prerequisite feat may not be usable at the moment the character does still have it and might still satisfy the other feat's prerequisites. In most cases feat chains copy all prerequisites down the chain so the no longer satisfied prereq of the first feat also directly disables the second, but there are occasional exceptions. For example, Spring Attack cannot be used while wearing heavy armor, but Whirlwind Attack has no similar clause. A character with Whirlwind Attack in heavy armor cannot use Spring Attack but he still has the feat, still satisfies the prereqs of Whirlwind Attack, and can use Whirlwind Attack as much as he likes.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-10, 10:09 PM
Q72 Does a character lose class features should he be subjected to an intelligence damaging or draining effect, such as ray of stupidity? I personally have a (house) rule in place that sets a qualification for class features at the same line for intelligence (that is, 3), but I would like to know if this is indeed RAW or merely a piece of my own overlay onto the game that I have somehow forgotten.

Jasdoif
2007-09-10, 10:24 PM
A072 probably

The closest thing I know of is feeblemind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/feeblemind.htm), which in addition to dropping Int and Cha to 1....
The affected creature is unable to use Intelligence- or Charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. Still, it knows who its friends are and can follow them and even protect them.

Given this, I'm pretty sure that other class features are retained. The alternative is stuff along the lines of "feeblemind makes you remember better!" when your Int is already in the 1 or 2 range.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-10, 10:28 PM
A 72
One does not lose class features due to reduced/damaged intelligence unless that class feature specifically requires a minimum intelligence (such as wizard spellcasting).

I'm not certain I've actually seen a rule that explicitly restricts creatures with Intelligence less than 3 from taking a class, either. An Intelligence of 3 is simply the minimum level for "humanlike intelligence."

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-10, 10:42 PM
Q73: Are there any spells that can change the appearance of a bastard sword so that it looks like a dagger? I'm having a bit of trouble finding one.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-10, 10:49 PM
Q74:

Do familiars gain feats based on their effective HD as familiars?

Q75:

Do familiars advance in size based on these HD?

Chronos
2007-09-10, 11:06 PM
Q76: Do multiple Bane properties on a weapon stack, against an appropriate enemy? For instance, if I have a sword with both Bane (evil outsiders) and Bane (chaotic outsiders), and I attack a demon, do the two Bane properties stack or overlap? I would assume they'd overlap, by analogy with (for instance) ranger favored enemies, but it doesn't seem to specify in the Bane description.

Q77: One of the properties of a Bane weapon is that, vs. the appropriate foe, its enhancement bonus is effectively two points higher. Is this still limited by the maximum of +5 on a weapon? Or is a +5 bane sword effectively +7 vs. its appropriate enemy?

Q77b: Assuming that the answer to 77 is that it does increase past +5, is such a weapon considered an epic weapon, vs. that foe? For instance, would a Sword +4, Bane of Magical Beasts be able to bypass the Tarrasque's damage reduction?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-11, 01:36 AM
A. 074

No, Familiars only get the benefits described in the entry. They do not actually gain additional HD.

A. 075

No, even if Familiars had gained bonus HD, which they don't, size would not have been increased.

A. 076

The increased effective enhancement bonus would not stack, but I believe the additional damage dice would.

A. 077

+7.

A. 077b

Yes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-11, 01:42 AM
A. 073

Q73: Are there any spells that can change the appearance of a bastard sword so that it looks like a dagger? I'm having a bit of trouble finding one.

Several methods exist.

A simple Disguise Self will do the trick.

Veil if you need to extend the effect, but it might be overkill in this case.

Alveanerle
2007-09-11, 06:05 AM
Q. 078
A helpless (unconscious) character gets treated with a breath from a black dragon. Happens. Now:
A. - does he get a reflex save?
B. - if he does not (which i think it is), is that treated as rolling natural 1 on save - that is, does the "damaging items" part of rules get to be used now?
C. - if so, does "chosen" item get any save in such situation, or is it treated as auto-failing its save?

Dhavaer
2007-09-11, 06:53 AM
A. 78

Unconscious characters may make reflex saves if they are not otherwise prevented from doing so.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-11, 07:42 AM
A 78 (Expansion)

A character is always allowed to make a saving throw for any effect that allows it. Even a forcibly restrained character can make a Reflex saving throw. This represents a little bit of luck and maybe a little bit of heroic destiny.

Note, however, that unconcious and otherwise helpless characters have an effective Dexterity of zero.

Source: The FAQ.

Exactly when can a character make a Reflex saving throw? The saving throw section on the Player’s Handbook says Reflex saves depend on a character’s ability to dodge out of the way. Does that mean you can’t make Reflex saves if you can’t move?

A character can attempt a Reflex save anytime she is subjected to an effect that allows a Reflex save. A Reflex save usually involves some dodging, but a Reflex save does not depend completely on a character’s ability to move around. It also can depend on luck, variations in the effect that makes the save necessary in the first place, and a host of other miraculous factors that keep heroic characters in the D&D game from meeting an untimely fate.

In most cases, you make Reflex saves normally, no matter how bad your circumstances are, but a few conditions interfere with Reflex saves:
If you’ve suffered Dexterity damage or Dexterity drain, you must use your current, lower Dexterity modifier for your Reflex saves.
If you’re cowering, you lose your Dexterity bonus (if any). The maximum Dexterity bonus you can have while cowering is +0, and that affects your Reflex saves accordingly.
If you’re dead, you become an object. Unattended objects can’t make saving throws.
If you’re entangled, your effective Dexterity score drops by –4, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re exhausted, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –6, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re fatigued, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –2, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re frightened or panicked, you have a –2 penalty on all saving throws, including Reflex saving throws.
If you’re helpless, your Dexterity score is effectively 0. You still can make Reflex saves, but your Dexterity modifier is –5. You’re helpless whenever you are paralyzed, unconscious, or asleep.

Vazzaroth
2007-09-11, 09:14 AM
Q. 79 For a Soul Knife's Psychic Strike, can it be applied and carried on each blade individually when using the Shape Mind Blade to manifest two short swords? In other words, if I use Psychic Strike before a battle, and attack someone with my main hand sword and discharge it's Psychic Strike, can I still get the +1d8 on my next off-hand attack?

Q. 79a If yes, does it still apply when using the feat to shape the mind blade into a two-bladed sword, with each end?

Q. 80 When using two mind blades, like in the previous example, can a Soul Knife choose two different enhancements for each blade, as long as he keeps both within his limit? IE: A keen main hand, with a Mighty-cleaving Off-hand.

theterran
2007-09-11, 09:41 AM
Q. 81 If you're wearing studded leather (AC3) and you drink a potion of Mage armor (AC4) is your Armor bonus +7, or does this stack?

Q. 82 If you're wearing studded leather (AC3) and you put on bracers of armor +1, does that bonus stack?

Q. 83 (Just incase) If one does stack and one doesn't, what's the difference between the two?

Alveanerle
2007-09-11, 09:46 AM
Q. 81 If you're wearing studded leather (AC3) and you drink a potion of Mage armor (AC4) is your Armor bonus +7, or does this stack?
These do not stack. Your effective armor bonus is 4.

Q. 82 If you're wearing studded leather (AC3) and you put on bracers of armor +1, does that bonus stack?
Again, no stacking. Armor bonus of 3.

Q. 83 (Just incase) If one does stack and one doesn't, what's the difference between the two?

No difference, no stacking. Tough deal.

Asmodeus
2007-09-11, 09:48 AM
Q. 84

Whats the Craft(Alchemy) DC for an Everburning Torch?

Duke of URL
2007-09-11, 09:49 AM
Q 85 Okay, we all know that gestalt rules are non-core. Nevertheless, is there any official answer or general consensus on how multiclassing penalties apply in gestalt builds?

theterran
2007-09-11, 09:50 AM
Q. 86 Does the spell shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm) stack with armor since it's a shield bonus?

(edit) ninja'd

Duke of URL
2007-09-11, 09:54 AM
A 86 Yes, although "stack" isn't the right word. You may have up to one each of armor bonus, shield bonus, deflection bonus, insight bonus (?), luck bonus, and natural bonus. Only dodge bonuses stack.

Edit, addendum: Except for dodge bonuses, if you have multiple sources for the same bonus type, only the best one applies.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-11, 10:41 AM
A 84
There is none. An Everburning Torch is not an alchemical item. It is simply a torch with continual flame cast upon it. As such, it requires no craft check to make. The price reflects the cost to have that spell cast by an NPC.

A 85
I do not believe there are any official rules handling the situation.

However, my non-RAW view is that the rules suggest each class combination is treated pretty much as its own class. In other words, Fighter//Sorcerer is one class, and Cleric//Sorcerer is another, and so on. In this interperetation, a Fighter//Sorcerer 3/Cleric//Sorcerer 5 would have a standard multiclass penalty.

In a case where half of the offending class is identical, such as above, you could consider halving the normal penalty, however. Once again, this is totally non-RAW.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-11, 11:20 AM
This was covered earlier in this very thread. :smallsmile:

A. 079

Q. 79 For a Soul Knife's Psychic Strike, can it be applied and carried on each blade individually when using the Shape Mind Blade to manifest two short swords? In other words, if I use Psychic Strike before a battle, and attack someone with my main hand sword and discharge it's Psychic Strike, can I still get the +1d8 on my next off-hand attack?

Yes, the blades can be charged separately by the Psychic Strike ability.

A. 079a

Q. 79a If yes, does it still apply when using the feat to shape the mind blade into a two-bladed sword, with each end?

Yes, assuming the feat does not say that the two-bladed sword is treated as a single weapon for the Soul Knife's abilities or something similar.

A. 080

Q. 80 When using two mind blades, like in the previous example, can a Soul Knife choose two different enhancements for each blade, as long as he keeps both within his limit? IE: A keen main hand, with a Mighty-cleaving Off-hand.

Yes, the description puts no restrictions on the abilities, but each weapon has a +1 enhancement bonus lower than a single blade would have had.

Charity
2007-09-12, 04:11 AM
Q 87 Do failed attempts to UMD from charged items cost charges?
If no, do critical failures cost charges?

Q 88 Does Lord Silvanos sleep with the rulebooks under his pillow?

V remember he is almost entirely comprised of head...

Awetugiw
2007-09-12, 04:47 AM
A88 - Partial. There is no way he could fit all the books he answers questions from under his pillow, and still use the pillow for its intended use. One or two might work though.

Q89The Vampiric Touch spell gives temporary hitpoints equal to the amount of damage dealt. Is that only spell damage, or also, say, Sneak Attack damage? It is supposed to be the same type of damage after all.

tdjewell
2007-09-12, 06:05 AM
Q90
The reach of a medium character, with a medium (non-reach) weapon (say a bastard sword) is 5'
The reach of a large character with the same weapon, only large, is 10'

a) What is the reach of a medium character with a large weapon
b) What is the reach of a large character with a medium weapon?
c) What is the reach of a large character with a huge weapon.

Let's ignore for the moment minuses or abilities required to actually wield said weapons.

Charity
2007-09-12, 06:08 AM
A 90
a) 5' unless it's a reach weapon
b) 10' unless it's a reach weapon
c) 10' unless its a reach weapon

i.e weapon size does not effect reach.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-12, 06:25 AM
A. 089

If you score a critical hit or sneak attack with a spell the damage you deal is the same type as that of the spell (In this case untyped spell damage), so you would also gain temporary HPs for the additional damage.

You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-12, 06:31 AM
A. 087

You do not expend a charge by failing a UMD check whether you roll a natural 1, except if you are trying to use the item blindly (Activate Blindly) and fail by 10 or more.

Tyger
2007-09-12, 11:29 AM
Q. 91

Does the extra damage done by the Vicious (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#vicious) enchantment overcome DR?

It appears to be untyped damage, but one could argue that its either a) an additional slashing / piercing / bludgeoning damage (based on the "extra" part) or b) negative energy (based on the crafting requirement of Enervation).

Either of these opens up interesting cans of worms, but leaving it as untyped makes it overcome DR... I think.

Thoughts?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-12, 12:01 PM
A. 091

Yes, just like a a Flaming enhancement overcomes DR without problems so does the "disruptive energy" of the Vicious enhancement.

It is untyped magical damage, not weapon damage.

Jasdoif
2007-09-12, 12:20 PM
Q 87 Do failed attempts to UMD from charged items cost charges?
If no, do critical failures cost charges?
A. 087

No in both cases, the charge was not used. (But see scroll mishaps)Are you sure about the critical failures?
If you fail by 10 or more, you suffer a mishap. A mishap means that magical energy gets released but it doesn’t do what you wanted it to do.Admittedly "magical energy gets released" is fairly vague, but it does sound similar to consuming a charge.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-12, 12:28 PM
Are you sure about the critical failures?Admittedly "magical energy gets released" is fairly vague, but it does sound similar to consuming a charge.

Indeed, I forgot to include the "activate blindly" in my mishap bracket. Not sure what happened there, but I apologize.

I assumed that Charity was referring to rolling a one on the check, which for a UMD check is a critical failure. (But it might not be as critical as the other mishap depending on circumstances).

I will correct my initial post to reflect the more complete answer you have provided. :smallsmile:

Popcorn?

Jasdoif
2007-09-12, 01:36 PM
Popcorn?Yay, popcorn! Wait...is one of us going back on the popcorn list?

Q092

Can a monster with racial spellcasting advance that spellcasting with a prestige class? For example...a rakshasa Cleric 3. Could this creature take mystic theurge levels to advance its racial arcane casting? Or would it need to take a sorcerer level first?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-12, 02:35 PM
Yay, popcorn! Wait...is one of us going back on the popcorn list?

Well you seem to have deserved them for once. :smalltongue:

A. 092

Q092

Can a monster with racial spellcasting advance that spellcasting with a prestige class? For example...a rakshasa Cleric 3. Could this creature take mystic theurge levels to advance its racial arcane casting? Or would it need to take a sorcerer level first?

We know that the spellcasting classes taken by monsters stack with the spellcasting abilities they may derive from their race, assuming of course it is of the same type etc.

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.

However, strictly speaking there is no arcane spellcasting class to gain a level in, because the creature has no class levels, it is just treated as if it did.

Spells per Day: When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class... This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

House rule comment:

IMHO it is not much of a stretch though and follows the practical implementation of gaining a caster increasing prestige class nicely.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-12, 02:54 PM
A92 Corollary WotC agrees with your house rule, as evidenced by some of their Fight Club articles--particularly that of Drossang Tachlash (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20070622a), a Redspawn Arcaniss who goes into Spellwarp Sniper with but a single level of Rogue.

Gralamin
2007-09-12, 08:32 PM
Q. 093
The description of the jump skill states:

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

Now Halflings have the following abilities that are important for this question:

Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.

Does this mean that a Halfling's have a -4 to jump checks?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-12, 10:27 PM
A093

Does this mean that a Halfling's have a -4 to jump checks?

Halflings with 20' speed have -4 to jump checks yes. Note that halfling barbarians or monks may move faster than 20'.

Killer Qban
2007-09-13, 01:36 AM
Q. 094 [Tome of Magic]

1) How long in total does it take a Binder to draw a seal, summon a vestige and make the pact?
(Is it 1 minute to draw and concentrate on the seal, 1 full round to summon and another 1 minute to make the pact?)

2) What about WITH the Rapid Pact Making Feat?
(It says you can 'bind' a vestige as a full-round action. Does that mean you do everything above in one full round or just the 'pact' part?)

3) Does the magic item 'Seal of the Spirit' reduce the "1 minute to draw and concentrate" requirement at all?

4) And finally, is there anything else to make binding quicker??

Glyphic
2007-09-13, 01:40 AM
Q95

I just want to make sure. Can a rouge, if their target is denied their AC from dex, Make a sneak attack with Alchemist's fire?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 02:01 AM
A. 095

Yes, and this was also confirmed by the official FAQ.

Killer Qban
2007-09-13, 03:59 AM
Q. 096

Do Synergy Bonuses stack from different skills?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 04:26 AM
A. 094 Partial

Q. 094 [Tome of Magic]

1) How long in total does it take a Binder to draw a seal, summon a vestige and make the pact?
(Is it 1 minute to draw and concentrate on the seal, 1 full round to summon and another 1 minute to make the pact?)

Yes, you got that right.

2) What about WITH the Rapid Pact Making Feat?
(It says you can 'bind' a vestige as a full-round action. Does that mean you do everything above in one full round or just the 'pact' part?)

It only mentions the binding part, so I am afraid that is all it will reduce.
Drawing the seal and summoning is still required.

3) Does the magic item 'Seal of the Spirit' reduce the "1 minute to draw and concentrate" requirement at all?

I don't have access to my Tome of Magic at the moment, sorry.

4) And finally, is there anything else to make binding quicker??

Not to my knowledge, but I think Fax is into that kind of thing. :smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 04:27 AM
A. 096

Yes, bonuses from synergies are unnamed bonuses.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-13, 04:47 AM
A. 96

Actually, they are named. They are synergy bonuses. Which share that special place in the named bonuses that dodge bonuses occupy: Stackability.

Alveanerle
2007-09-13, 05:14 AM
Q. 097
Gaseous form for dummies

When one is subjected to the effect of gaseous cloud, it becomes "Insubstantial, misty and translucent" - are there any effects connected with these three qualities, other than mentioned later DR 10/magic? In other words - is DR10/magic, fly speed 10 and inusability of all eq/spells/supernatural abilities the only effects of gaseous cloud?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 06:41 AM
A. 96

Actually, they are named. They are synergy bonuses. Which share that special place in the named bonuses that dodge bonuses occupy: Stackability.

No, they were synergy bonuses in 3.0, but in 3.5 they are just unnamed bonuses.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 06:49 AM
A. 097

There is not any specific mechanics connected with those terms. You only "get" what is mentioned in the spell description.
The standard English meaning of the words would of course still apply.

squishycube
2007-09-13, 06:52 AM
A. 96

Even though you arrive at the same conclusion, your path is not correct.
I thought the same as you did, so I checked. The SRD says the following:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#skillSynergy

In general, having 5 or more ranks in one skill gives the character a +2 bonus on skill checks with each of its synergistic skills

And in a specific example:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm

If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sleight of Hand checks
None of the references to skill synergy give a name to the bonus. But the boni still stack, unnamed boni always stack except with themselves, as Skip explains in the Rules of the Game article about stacking:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040210a

Unnamed Bonuses

A bonus that doesn't have a name stacks with anything except itself. This is always true, but it's sometimes hard to remember. For example, many feats provide unnamed bonuses, so don't panic when you read a feat description and it provides a bonus without a name. An unnamed bonus from a feat stacks with any other bonus; however you can't stack that unnamed bonus if you take the feat twice.
Let this be (another) lesson to you and me never to doubt the floating rules guru :smallsmile: . (He has been wrong a couple of times in the history of the Q&A threads, but these occasions can be counted on one hand and considering that this is the fourth thread and each thread had about 400 questions of which he answered about 80% that is pretty impressive. So one can obviously doubt Silvanos, just remember that the odds are that not he but you are the one that is barking up the wrong tree. Ok enough heel licking for the rest of the year, continue with the thread.)

Duke of URL
2007-09-13, 07:12 AM
Q 98 Can the Incantatrix's Cooperative Metamagic or Metamagic Effect abilities be used in cases where the modified spell level would be 10 or higher?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 07:29 AM
A. 098

Yes, there is no restriction mentioned in the abilities.

P.s. I even think there is a listed example with a modified level of 10?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-13, 09:13 AM
A 094

I don't have access to my Complete Mage at the moment, sorry.
Sure you don't mean Tome of Magic? :smallwink:

Yes, the major purpose of the seal of the spirit is to reduce the time it takes to draw a seal by having a pre-drawn seal ready. This item reduces the time it takes to draw a seal from one round to a single standard action. However, you still have to take the full round action to summon the vestige and the full minute to make the pact.

Combined with the feat Rapid Pact making, you can bind a vestige with a single standard action (placing the seal of the spirit), and two full round actions (one to summon the vestige, another to make the pact), reducing the total time required from the usual twenty-one rounds to only three rounds. Of course, this combination can only be used once per day (the limit imposed by Rapid Pact Making).

Asmodeus
2007-09-13, 12:27 PM
Q. 99

According to the FAQ, a scroll made by an artificer is neither arcane nor divine. This means it is useless to spellcasters, except through a Use Magic Device check.

Is there a similar restriction on wands, staffs or other items created by an Artifcer? Artificers come from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

*Leaves a bag of virgin popcorn on the altar for sacrifice to the Q&A gods*

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 01:02 PM
A. 099

Yes, as hinted at in the FAQ all items created by Artificer's are not arcane or divine.

Page 32: Artificer—Item Creation
Magic items created by an artificer are considered neither arcane nor divine.

However, only scrolls carry the restriction that the caster must be of the right type (arcane or divine).

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)

Spell trigger items such as wands and staffs only require that the caster have the same spell on his class list.

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)

Asmodeus
2007-09-13, 01:04 PM
Q. 99

According to the FAQ, a scroll made by an artificer is neither arcane nor divine. This means it is useless to spellcasters, except through a Use Magic Device check.

Is there a similar restriction on wands, staffs or other items created by an Artifcer? Artificers come from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

*Leaves a bag of virgin popcorn on the altar for sacrifice to the Q&A gods*

A. 99

Found my own answer. Scrolls appear to be the only standard item that cares whether you are arcane or divine.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-13, 01:06 PM
A 99: No.

There are no restrictions on use of wands or staves created by an Artificer, because these items are also neither arcane nor divine. They just contain charges for particular spells. If a spell is on your list, you can use a wand or staff with that spell, regardless of the class(es) of the item's creator.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-13, 02:36 PM
Q100 Assuming one has enough actions, can one use a weaponlike spell in conjunction with a maneuver? For example, using spell flower, charge shocking grasp on one hand, vampiric touch on the other, and then proceed to use Pouncing Charge, Dancing Mongoose, or Steel Wind to attack with both, using the spells as weapons.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-13, 02:58 PM
A. 100

Yes, holding the charge on any spell will allow you to make touch attacks, which can be used with any maneuver that allows you to make attacks (assuming that the maneuver does not restrict the type of weapon used of course).

Using Spell Flower to TWF with touch spells are just extra spice on the popcorn.

Flying Elephant
2007-09-13, 04:38 PM
Q. 101

In "extreme cold" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#coldDangers), how often and how long does the chill metal effect affect you?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-13, 04:41 PM
A101 I would say at the same time you make a check to avoid weather damage--so, once per minute. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify exactly, but that appears to be the intent.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-13, 05:00 PM
A 101
I would assume the metal chills at the same rate as the spell and it stays at the coldest level chill metal allows until the metal can warm up. In other words, by the third round the metal has been in the cold, it would reach a state where it would have the freezing state (2d4 damage per round) until the metal had a chance to warm up again.

Killer Qban
2007-09-13, 08:18 PM
Q. 102 [Psionics]

Which comes 1st...the Quicken Power or the Wild Surge...?

As an 8th level Psionic Wilder I know you can't technically Quicken the 3rd Level power 'Energy Wall' (5 point cost for power plus 6 points to Quicken will pass the 8 point limit per power) but what if the power is Wild Surge'd +3? Wild surging it will increase my wilder level and give me an 11 point limit per power which makes it possible to Quicken it since it doesnt go over the limit (5+6=11)...can this be done?

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-13, 08:55 PM
Q103
A piece of ammunition like an arrow or crossbow bolt is destroyed upon striking a foe. Does that mean that a Silence spell cast on an arrow is dispelled upon the arrow striking an enemy?

Killer Qban
2007-09-14, 01:30 AM
Q. 104 [Psionics]

If you create a 5ft radius ring 'Energy Wall' and then make a 10ft radius ring 'Energy Wall' around the 5ft one will it cause double the damage or will the outer wall's energy be blocked?

If the energy is blocked does that mean u can't cast spells or psionics through any 'Energy Wall'?

Can you see through it?

Jasdoif
2007-09-14, 02:11 AM
A102

Yes. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the improved manifester level from a wild surge at the same time you use a metamagic feat.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-14, 02:25 AM
A. 103

Q103
A piece of ammunition like an arrow or crossbow bolt is destroyed upon striking a foe. Does that mean that a Silence spell cast on an arrow is dispelled upon the arrow striking an enemy?

That would be a very reasonable interpretation.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-14, 02:30 AM
A. 104

The power description states nothing about blocking energy, vision, or line of effect, so you can see through it and send waves of energy through it or other powers.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-14, 11:12 AM
Re: A 104

Actually, it does block line of sight.

Energy Wall[/i] (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersDtoF.html#energy-wall)"]Area: An opaque sheet of energy up to 20 ft. long/level or a ring of energy with a radius of up to 5 ft./2 levels
(emphasis mine)

It still doesn't appear to block line of effect, however.

EDIT: Hm, though it is worded in a way that "opaque" might not apply to the ring form of the power... Which would be a strange inconsistency. I think both forms are probably intended to be opaque.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-14, 12:09 PM
Re: A 104

Actually, it does block line of sight.

(emphasis mine)

It still doesn't appear to block line of effect, however.

EDIT: Hm, though it is worded in a way that "opaque" might not apply to the ring form of the power... Which would be a strange inconsistency. I think both forms are probably intended to be opaque.

Yes, but not note that no height is given for either form.
It should probably have been "; either form 20 ft. high"
, but I don't think that this has been errata'ed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-14, 12:16 PM
Yes, but not note that no height is given for either form.
Ah, yes. I don't suppose a 2 ft. wall blocks line of sight for most Medium or Small (tall) characters. And, for all we know, that's how tall it could be.

And you could also jump through it instead of "pass through it." :smallwink:

It should probably have been "; either form 20 ft. high", but I don't think that this has been errata'ed.
Yeah. Being identical to wall of fire in every other respect except for energy type, I would assume that as the correct height as well.

theterran
2007-09-14, 02:42 PM
Q105 Drawing an Arrow is a free action, correct?
Q106 Assuming that's true, I should be able to draw an arrow and shoot it with a bow w/o using my move action like I would if it were an Xbow, right?

Just needing clarification. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-14, 02:54 PM
A 105 and 106

Drawing any type of ammunition is a free action. This applies to arrows, crossbow bolts, and sling bullets. (And, while they are not technically ammunition, the rules for ammunition apply to shurikens.)

While drawing a bolt is a free action, actually loading it into a crossbow takes longer, depending on the type of crossbow.

See: SRD:Equipment:Weapons:Ammunition (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/weapons.html#ammunition)

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-15, 02:40 AM
Q107
Can I spring attack off a charge/leap attack? That is, charge/leap in, then use spring attack to run away.

EDIT: Huh, that's convenient. There's a thread posted just today on this exact subject. Apparently, the answer is 'no'.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-15, 06:50 AM
A 107
Just to make sure this thread is complete, I'll answer this anyway. :smallwink:

"No, you cannot. Spring Attack can only be used in conjunction with the Attack action, which is a standard action. Charge is a full-round action (though it can be performed as a standard action under certain circumstances)."

Chineselegolas
2007-09-15, 06:57 AM
Q108
If you have regeneration 5, and fast healing 3, what do you heal?, does the regeneration ability override the fast healing for non-lethal, or do the two stack (With only fast healing doing anything when no non-lethal damage)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-15, 07:12 AM
A 108
There is no rule of precedence regarding what order to apply regeneration and fast healing. As such, they may be applied in the most beneficial order and work normally, as per each ability's description:

The regeneration will turn all damage, except those from specified sources, to nonlethal damage. Then, once per round, the regeneration will heal five nonlethal damage. If there is more than three nonlethal dmage left, the fast healing will heal three nonlethal damage. If there is less than three nonlethal damage left, the fast healing will heal any remaining nonlethal damage before applying any remaining points of fast healing to any lethal damage you may have.

Sources:
SRD:Monster:Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities:Regeneration (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#regeneration)
SRD:Special Abilities & Conditions:Regeneration (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#regeneration)
SRD:Monster:Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities:Fast Healing (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#fast-healing)
SRD:Special Abilities & Conditions:Fast Healing (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#fast-healing)

Flying Elephant
2007-09-15, 01:35 PM
Q. 109
Scenario: An NPC (who is hostile towards the PCs, though they may not know it) is talking to the PCs. The conversation goes on, and although the NPC is planning to attack the PCs, the conversation does not reflect that. Then, a PC attempts to attack the NPC. The PC has sneak attack. Is the NPC flat footed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-15, 01:49 PM
A. 109 (X2)

If the NPC is surprised by the attack it would be reasonable to grant the sneak attacker a surprise round and roll initiative as normal.

If the NPC was expecting the attack the NPC might also get to act in the surprise round and initiative will determine who goes first and whether the NPC is flat-footed.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-15, 02:06 PM
Q110 On double multiplication: If I gain a fly speed that is based off my land speed (such as through the Half-Fey template), and then acquire another source that either adds a fixed bonus (such as the Dark template) or a multiplier to my base land speed (such as the Shadow template), how do I determine my actual speed?

For instance: I have a base speed of 30'. The half-fey template gives me a fly speed of 60' (good) due to this. The shadow template multiplies my speeds by 1.5x.

Is my fly speed (30' * 1.5)*2)=90', (((30' * 1.5)*2)*1.5)=135', or ((30' * 2) * 1.5)=90'?

Jasdoif
2007-09-15, 02:37 PM
A110

Your fly speed is 90 feet. The order you apply the multipliers in doesn't matter (associative property of multiplication).

Your 135' calculation isn't valid, because you're applying the single speed multiplier from the Shadow template twice to the same speed.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-15, 02:39 PM
A110

Your fly speed is 90 feet. The order you apply the multipliers in doesn't matter (associative property of multiplication).

Your 135' calculation isn't valid, because you're applying the single speed multiplier from the Shadow template twice to the same speed.

Except the multiplier for the Shadow template applies to "all forms of movement", which is where the confusion stems from.

Jasdoif
2007-09-15, 02:47 PM
Except the multiplier for the Shadow template applies to "all forms of movement", which is where the confusion stems from.You apply templates one at a time.

If you apply Half-fey first, you have a land speed of 30' and a fly speed of 60'. Shadow increases by 50%, giving you a land speed of 45' and a fly speed of 90'. If you apply Shadow first, you have a land speed of 45'. Half-Fey gives you a fly speed to twice your land speed, giving you a land speed of 45' and a fly speed of 90'.Either way, you have your base land speed increased by 50%, and a fly speed that's twice your base speed; which fits both templates.

Any interpretation that allows "increases your speed by 50%" to result in increasing your speed by 125% is automatically suspect.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-15, 02:47 PM
A110

I have found that multipliers are more analogous to adding some portion of the base. So in the case of X2 its is really +100%, X3 is +200%.

Then next part of the equation is figuring out if bonuses are stackable. If being shadowy somehow helps flying (and due to flying being the result of wings, I don't think it should) then flight speed would be base + 150% which would be 75' in this example. If they are not compatible, then it would be flight (Base+100%) 60' and regular movement (base +50%) 45'.

I would interpret the shadow speed bonus as supernatural (derived from extraplanar influence) while the half-fey bonus would be extraordinary (from wings). Thus I believe them to be incompatible. This is however not a RAW question but an interpretation up to the specific DM.

Thomix
2007-09-15, 11:04 PM
Q 111

If you walk or run( but not charge), to a enemy, so you enter a treatened square by him, did you provoke a AoO ? One of my friend tell me that you only get AoO when you exit a square treatened by someone

Arbitrarity
2007-09-15, 11:27 PM
A111: Only when exiting a threatened square.

Moving
Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot step and the withdraw action.

Thomix
2007-09-15, 11:33 PM
Q 111 b

A111: Only when exiting a threatened square.

So, why there is a charge action?

Arbitrarity
2007-09-15, 11:38 PM
The charge action allows double movement and an attack, instead of a single movement and an attack. Furthermore, it triggers a bunch of feats, and modifies attacks and AC's.

Neon Knight
2007-09-16, 12:28 PM
Q112: Can one Fight Defensively while making an attack with a ranged weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-16, 12:33 PM
A. 112

Yes, there is no requirement that you make a melee attack when fighting defensively.

Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action: You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the same round.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-16, 05:33 PM
Q113: does Blur stack with Entropic Shield?

Asmodeus
2007-09-16, 05:42 PM
Q113: does Blur stack with Entropic Shield?

A 113

Blur grants concealment. Entropic Shield grants a 20% miss chance, and states that its similar to concealment.

According to the SRD, multiple sources of concealment do NOT stack.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-16, 05:45 PM
A113

They overlap but not stack. Entropic shield creates a magic field that deflects missles and rays. Blur makes you harder to see. Both have a 20% miss chance but Entropic shield is SIMILAR to concealment whereas blur grants actual concealment.

Thus check for miss due to concealment and then check for deflection.

Kellus
2007-09-16, 10:51 PM
Q114

If you have an enhancement bonus on a bow and a seperate enhancement bonus on an arrow, do they stack? For example, a +1 longbow firing an adamantine arrow.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 10:58 PM
A 114

No, they do not, as they are the same type of bonus. There was an exception in 3.0 allowing these two enhancement bonuses to stack, but that exception was removed in 3.5.

Source: SRD:Magic Items:Armor and Weapons:Ranged Weapons and Ammunition (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsAW.html#ranged-weapons-and-ammunition)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-17, 12:54 AM
A. 114 Addendum

The Windrider is absolutely correct when he writes that enhancement bonuses do not stack for weapon an ammunition. (e.g. a +2 arrow fired from a +3 bow will have an enhancement bonus of +3)

However, different special abilities from both sources are combined. (e.g. a +2 adamantine fire arrow fired from a +3 bow of frost while have an enhancement bonus of +3 and be considered adamantine, frost and fire.)

enderrocksonall
2007-09-17, 01:18 AM
Q115
Does the rapid reload feat have any effect on the operation of a repeating crossbow? Any other feat combos that could speed up the reload of a repeating crossbow?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-17, 02:17 AM
A. 115 Partial

No, only hand, light or heavy crossbows benefit from Rapid Reload.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-17, 02:46 AM
A113

They overlap but not stack. Entropic shield creates a magic field that deflects missles and rays. Blur makes you harder to see. Both have a 20% miss chance but Entropic shield is SIMILAR to concealment whereas blur grants actual concealment.

Thus check for miss due to concealment and then check for deflection.

(re A113)
So effectively the combination of the two gives attacks against you a 36% miss chance?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-17, 02:57 AM
A. 113 Follow up

(re A113)
So effectively the combination of the two gives attacks against you a 36% miss chance?

Yes.

enderrocksonall
2007-09-17, 12:13 PM
RE:A115

A. 115 Partial

No, only hand, light or heavy crossbows benefit from Rapid Reload.

Actaully the repeating crossbow comes in both heavy and light flavorings.

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 01:35 PM
RE:A115
Actaully the repeating crossbow comes in both heavy and light flavorings.A light repeating crossbow is a light repeating crossbow, not a light crossbow. A heavy repeating crossbow is a heavy repeating crossbow, not a heavy crossbow.

Tyrael
2007-09-17, 03:05 PM
At 1st level, the Shadowbane Inquisitor(Comp Adv.) gains an ability called Absolute Conviction(Ex). I don't think I can quote it verbatim due to legality, but it essentially says that if the Shadowbane Inquisitor ever changes from LG, he cannot advance in that prestige class any further, but does not lose any class abilities that have already been attained.

My question is, how does this affect the Paladin's code? If the Shadowbane Inquisitor strays from LG, is his Paladinhood affected?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-17, 03:10 PM
You should start a thread about that due to:
1) You didn't number your question.
2) That isn't really a RAW question.
3) You included alignment and paladin in the same post.

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 03:14 PM
At 1st level, the Shadowbane Inquisitor(Comp Adv.) gains an ability called Absolute Conviction(Ex). I don't think I can quote it verbatim due to legality, but it essentially says that if the Shadowbane Inquisitor ever changes from LG, he cannot advance in that prestige class any further, but does not lose any class abilities that have already been attained.

My question is, how does this affect the Paladin's code? If the Shadowbane Inquisitor strays from LG, is his Paladinhood affected?

Marking this one Q116.

A116

Unless the class or its abilities state how they interact with the Paladin's code, they don't affect the Paladin's code. Since you didn't mention anything of the sort, and since I can't doublecheck right now, I'm guessing there is no such connection. So a Paladin would still fall if his/her alignment changed to something other then LG, and would still lose Paladin class features in that case.

Tyrael
2007-09-17, 03:16 PM
Started a new thread for it.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-17, 03:56 PM
Q117 Can you permanency an effect that was put in place by a spell-like ability?

Curmudgeon
2007-09-17, 04:08 PM
A 117

Yes, as long as the SLA is identical to a spell on the list for Permanency.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 06:37 PM
You should start a thread about that due to:
1) You didn't number your question.
Doesn't require starting a new thread. The Edit button is there for a reason.

2) That isn't really a RAW question.
Hm. Alignment has RAW rules. The paladin code of conduct has RAW rules. The Shadowbane Inquisitor requirements have RAW rules.

Yeah, it's a RAW question.

3) You included alignment and paladin in the same post.
Huh?

In any case, Jasodif has the correct answer.

Thomix
2007-09-17, 07:36 PM
Q 118

What woul be the CR of a single lvl 4 dwarf barbarian ?

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 07:49 PM
A118.

CR 4. A creature whose ECL is entirely non-NPC class levels (no racial hit dice or level adjustment) has a challenge rating equal to its character level, unless specifically indicated otherwise.

Swooper
2007-09-18, 06:21 AM
Q119
Can the feat Precocious Apprentice from the Complete Arcane be used as a prerequisite for a prestige class that requires the ability to cast 2nd level spells? There are several different wordings on those prestige classes' requirements, so does it let you enter some of them prematurely but not all? In which cases does it work?

(I'm asking not because I want to use it, but because I believe it shouldn't be used that way)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 07:06 AM
A 119
The wording of the feat technically allows you to use it to qualify for any PrC with the requirement "ability to cast 2nd level (arcane) spells" early.

However, there was apparently a comment from the person that designed the feat that that effect was an unintended side effect. If the designer had the presence of mind, there probably would have been a line in the description that disallowed the feats use to gain early access to Prestige Classes.