PDA

View Full Version : Sanity checking my Savage Worlds modifications (PEACH)

Theoboldi
2018-04-24, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone. After some searching for the right system to run my homebrewed setting in, I've now settled on Savage Worlds (Deluxe Edition, to be precise) as the most fitting for it. However, as there are a few things about its skill system that bother me, I've decided to change the skill list a little to better fit me and my group's playstyle. Also, I want to homebrew at least one Edge to better represent how my setting works.

However, I've only ever played a single session of Deadlands before, so my overall knowledge of Savage Worlds is pretty lacking. If any more experienced players and GMs of the system are willing to take a look at what I've come up with and give me some feedback on just how much I've wrecked the game's balance, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Climbing, Swimming: Combined into one skill called Athletics, which also covers most checks related to physical movements.

Gambling: Removed entirely. It's not relevant for my setting, nor has the need for something like it ever risen in one of my games.

Intimidation and Taunt: Combined into one skill called Manipulation that covers both functions.

Investigation: Removed. It's functions are covered by appropriate knowledge skills or common knowledge, depending on the topic.

Lockpicking: Renamed Thievery, also covers sleight of hand and pick-pocketing.

Persuasion: Removed entirely. Most interactions are roleplayed out, and when a check is needed it uses the more relevant of Spirit or Smarts and has no penalty.

Tracking: Removed. Its functions are covered by Streetwise and Survival, for urban and wilderness tracking respectively.

Everything else is as normal.

In my setting, people who become skilled enough in any given field eventual develop supernatural ability with it, to the point where they can bend reality to a certain degree.

Requirements: Seasoned, Any Skill d10+, Relevant Attribute for same Skill 1d10+

The hero must chose a single skill when taking this Edge, which is the basis for its Requirements. When using that skill, the difficulty of tasks is reduced by 1 step. Hard tasks become Normal, Normal tasks become Easy, and Easy tasks become automatic. Furthermore, otherwise Impossible feats become possible. They may be freely performed when under no time pressure and when failure would have no particularly negative consequences, and when pressed can be performed as Hard tasks with a -2 modifier.

However, these tasks may never be completely reality-altering in nature, and the Paragon who performs is still in all other aspects limited to reality.

I've no idea how this Edge would work for something like Fighting or Shooting, sadly. The most I've come up with so far is that for Fighting it would let you ignore Half of an objects toughness and give weapons a minimum AP value, and that Shooting would allow impossible shots like ricochets and curved shots at -4 while perhaps also making reloading a free action. I'm wary about any of these ideas, however, as there is already a truckload of Edges that improve combat ability. I don't want just a numerical bonus, I want to allow cool stunts and tricks with this Edge.