PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The True Tarrasque

ImSAMazing
2018-04-26, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

I am working on a buffed-up version of the MM Tarrasque, simply because it is not worth its challenge rating of 30. Why? I am planning to use this as one of Acerak's most powerful minions, one of the final minions he will send after the party after they wrecked his Tomb of the Nine Gods, in the Tomb of Annihilation campaign module.

I would love some feedback on it, including if it is worth its CR now, or if it could be buffed up even more. For now, this is what I changed:
- Buffed up his mental stats (10 INT instead of 3, 12 WIS instead of 11 and lowered his charisma to 8 instead of 11).
- Immunity to psychic damage
- At-will Misty Step(60' tp instead of 30'), Invisibility and Fly. Once a day: Teleport and Plane Shift(To the elemental plane of earth)

Link (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bk7f_Zt1Tf)to pdf(the statblock is on the final page of the PDF).

Fire Tarrasque
2018-04-27, 06:00 PM
Firstly:
Tarrasque is too smart. Change.
Secondly: PLEASE, PLEASE do not make it an elemental. Keep it a monstrosity.
Thirdly: Why is it immune to fire exactly? Just.. why?
Fourthly: You forgot to give it bonuses to strength and con saves.
Fifthly: MATH! Excluding swallow, it can do... 258 damage on average if everything hits, so assuming a 50% hit chance (It will be higher) that's 129 damage a turn and a grapple, prone, and frighten chance. Okay then. That's enough too take out ANY Sorcerer or Wizard in three turns, even account for using a legendary action to misty step too them. And I do mean any. A 20 con Hill Dwarf wizard with Tough who rolled all sixes has 280 HP.
Fifthly: The Tarrasque would never use the move legendary action to move. Misty Step is longer and doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
Sixthly: The Tarrasque can move 290 feet a turn if it Misty Steps, uses all it's Legendary Actions to move, and runs. That is faster than a Roc, Ancient Dragon, or Quickling using every resource at their disposal to move. And 240 of that is AoO free. It is... Very, VERY fast.
Seventhly: How does it get back onto the Material after Plane Shifting?
Statistic wise, okay, that's cool. Flavor wise? I do NOT like the idea of an Elemental Tarrasque.
This also implies that there are other breeds of elemental Tarrasque, which makes NO SENSE since you've done nothing to add it's new elemental nature into it's abilities besides letting it Plane shift. If it's connected to the Earth plane, there must logically be Tarrasque like water, air, and ... Fire Tarrasques.
Too everyone who sees this, I swear it was not planned.

JNAProductions
2018-04-28, 11:50 AM
This just feels... Off.

It doesn't feel like the Tarrasque anymore. I mean, why random casting? I had a rework of the Tarrasque a while back... Let me dig it up...

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542991-Big-T-Revised)!

I won't lie and say I came up with the ideas on my own-I was reading a thread and they made some cool ideas for how to make Big T more scary, and I just statted them up. But I think (totally unbiased here :P ) that I kept more of the FEEL of the Tarrasque, whereas this feels like a different monster entirely.

Edit: As a friend points out, the storm in mine is a little... Non-Tarrasque-like. It's overtly supernatural, and the Tarrasque is emphatically NOT that. He's big, he's scary, but he's not SUPERNATURAL. (Well, no more than any of the biologically impossible things are.)

Fire Tarrasque
2018-04-28, 12:32 PM
You could always try turning it into an Ikea Tarrasque™.
If you don't know what that is, here. I can't work with links well yet.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-The-Ikea-Tarrasque-Version-2-0

Lalliman
2018-04-29, 03:45 AM
Thirdly: Why is it immune to fire exactly? Just.. why?
The default tarrasque has this too. I think it's purely for mechanical purposes. They don't want it to be beatable by a sufficiently-large army, and fire is the easiest damage type for common soldiers to deal after BPS. They just wanted to make fire arrows and flaming catapults ineffective.

I agree with the sentiment though. Turning it into anything else than a dumb unstoppable bulldozer makes it not really the Tarrasque anymore. Instead of adding flight and teleportation, I'd focus on adding better mundane mobility options, adding a ranged attack or two, and bringing back the regenerative properties that it used to have. On first look, JNAP's version does all of those things, so I'd definitely look to that one.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-04-29, 09:45 PM
Actually, someone on the D&D wiki homebrewed the "Neo Tarrasque"
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Neo_Tarrasque_(5e_Creature)
That scary enough for you? Hypercrits, no flight, alert, absurd regen, three added recharge attacks, two being powerful utility tools, one being a terrifying damage tool, and a bloodied chomp just to rub it in a little more. You can even still keep the elemental nature. Alternatively, I offer you, my solution too the problem, combining your elemental nature and additions to the Neo's terrifying brute strength.

Tarrasque+
Gargantuan Elemental
Hit Points: 676 (33d20 + 330)
Speed: 60 ft
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
30 (+10) 12 (+1) 30 (+10) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 8 (-1)
Saving Throws: Int +9, Wis +10, Cha +8, Dex +6
Damage: Immunities: Poison; bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical attacks.
Condition: Immunities: Charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned.
Senses: Blindsight 120 ft., passive Perception 20,
Languages: Primordial.
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP)

Alert. The Tarrasque gains a +5 bonus to initiative rolls. It can't be surprised while conscious, and other creatures do not gain advantage on attack rolls against it as a result of being hidden from it.

Augmented Critical. On a critical hit, the Tarrasque rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice.

Elder of Annihilation. The Tarrasque ignores all other creatures' damage resistances and immunities.

Legendary Resistance (3/Rest) If the True Tarrasque fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The True Tarrasque has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Reflective Carapace. Any time the Tarrasque is targeted by a magic missile spell, a line spell, or a spell that requires a ranged attack roll, roll a d6. On a 1 to 5, the Tarrasque is unaffected. On a 6, the Tarrasque is unaffected, and the effect is reflected back at the caster as though it originated from the Tarrasque, turning the caster into the target.

Regeneration. The Tarrasque regains 30 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point remaining.

Siege Monster. The Tarrasque deals double damage to objects and structures.

Surefooted. The Tarrasque has advantage on saving throws made against effects that would knock it prone.

Trample. When the Tarrasque enters any enemy's space for the first time on a turn, the enemy must succeed on a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw or take 24 (4d6+10) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone.

Innate Spellcasting. The True Tarrasque can cast the following spells at will: Misty Step(60'), Fly. Once a day, it can cast Teleport or Plane Shift (exclusively to the Elemental Chaos).

Aura: The Tarrasque has one of four elemental auras active at a time. The Tarrasque may switch this aura with a bonus or legendary action.

Earth Aura: The Tarrasque shakes the ground with it's mere presence. All terrain within 200 ft of the Tarrasque is treated as rough terrain for all other creatures, and all creatures in the air immediately begin falling at a rate of 60 ft per round, regardless of any magic such as feather fall or fly. The Tarrasque also gains immunity to thunder damage, and it may also use the equivalent of a 4th level counterspell against any earth based spell, like earthquake or summon earth elemental as a free action. The Tarrasque's spellcasting bonus is +2. This aura may be counteracted by a spell(s) of the DM's discretion, like Earth to Mud or vice versa.

Air Aura: The Tarrasque creates a vicious windstorm simply by moving. All creatures within 30 ft must make a DC 16 dexterity saving throw or be moved thirty feet at any time the Tarrasque wishes, though it may target each creature only once a turn. It may gain attacks of opportunity via this push. It also gains immunity too (AIR BASED DAMAGE? IDK. Help? Maybe thunder would fit better here. But then what for Earth?). It may also use the equivalent of a 4th level counterspell against any air based spell, like gust of wind or summon air elemental. The Tarrasque's spellcasting bonus is +2. This aura may be counteracted by a spell(s) of the DM's discretion, like a high level gust of wind.

Water Aura: The Tarrasque may thicken the air with swirling vapor and droplets by simply moving. All ranged weapon attacks employing a physical (like an arrow or crossbow bolt) or flaming (like a firebolt) ranged attack against the Tarrasque has disadvantage imposed on it. The Tarrasque also gains immunity to cold damage, and it may also use the equivalent of a 4th level counterspell against any water based spell, like control water or summon water elemental. The Tarrasque's spellcasting bonus is +2. This aura may be counteracted by a spell(s) of the DM's discretion, like Control Water.

Fire Aura: The Tarrasque creates a burning area around itself. When any creature within 20 feet takes fire, radiant, lightning, or necrotic damage, they must make a constitution saving throw, DC 10 or the damage taken, whichever is higher, capping out at twenty. A failure will incur one level of exhaustion. The Tarrasque also gains immunity to fire damage, and it may also use the equivalent of a 4th level counterspell against any fire based spells, like fireball or summon fire elemental. This aura may be counteracted by a spell(s) of the DM's discretion, like Sleet Storm.

Immortality: While in contact with any of the four elements, the Tarrasque cannot die without massive magics. The Tarrasque always revives with full health. If it is killed and it's corpse remains relatively intact, it will revive in 1 week. If it is killed and it's body significantly damaged, it will revive in 1d6 weeks. If it is killed and it's body completely destroyed, it will regenerate on the elemental chaos in 1 month. If it is killed in the Elemental chaos, it will revive in one day. The only ways to kill the Tarrasque are:
A: Destroy it's corpse, and then use Wish over the spot it's corpse was within one hour of it's destruction. You must then cast wish again, at the relatively same time and location, for the next two days.
B: Somehow completely remove it's body from the four elements, perhaps by transporting it too the positive of negative energy planes. Good luck surviving those trips though.
C: Another method created by the DM, like an Artifact or special spell.

ACTIONS:
Multiattack. The Tarrasque can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes five attacks: one with its bite, two with its claws, one with its horns, and one with its tail. It can use its Swallow instead of its bite. Alternatively, it makes three rock attacks. Alternatively again, it may substitute on of it's elemental abilities for it's horns, tail, and one claw attack, or two rock attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (4d12 + 10) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 20). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Tarrasque can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8 + 10) slashing damage.

Horns. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 32 (4d10 + 10) piercing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (4d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, range 240/960 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (4d12 + 10) bludgeoning damage.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Tarrasque's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Tarrasque is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Tarrasque's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Swallow. The Tarrasque makes one bite attack against a Large or smaller creature it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target takes the bite's damage, the target is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the Tarrasque, and it takes 56 (16d6) acid damage at the start of each of the Tarrasque's turns.
If the Tarrasque takes 60 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the Tarrasque must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of the Tarrasque. If the Tarrasque dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 30 feet of movement, exiting prone.

Recharge actions:
The Tarrasque's recharges function slightly differently from others. The Tarrasque rolls three recharge die. The first two, for tail sweep and energy breath, function normally. The third, for it's four elemental attacks, functions uniquely. Each attack recharges on it's own number, wind on a 3, earth on a 4, water on a 5, and fire on a 6. They are not cumulative. If a six is rolled, only fire is recharged.

Tail Sweep (Recharge 4-6). The Tarrasque makes one tail attack against all valid targets currently within its reach. It makes one attack roll and one damage roll, and uses the result for each attack.
Energy Breath (Recharge 6). The Tarrasque exhales pure energy in a 120-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 24 Constitution saving throw, taking 91 (26d6) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Air Blast (Recharge 3). The Tarrasque exhales a blast of powerful, elementally charged air in a 120-foot cone. Each creature in this area must make a DC 22 dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take 72 (8d12+20) thunder damage, and are pushed back 60 ft and are knocked prone. On a successful save, they take half damage, are not knocked prone, and are only pushed back 30 ft.
Earth Shaker (Recharge 4): The Tarrasque stomps the ground with extraordinary and elementally charged force. Each creature in a 60 ft cube that is touching the ground must make a DC 22 constitution saving throw. On a failed save, they take 72 (8d12+20) bludgeoning damage and are paralyzed for 2 (1d4) turns. On a successful save, they take half damage and are only knocked prone.
Water Shield (Recharge 5): The Tarrasque release elementally charged "sweat," shielding itself for 6 (2d6) rounds. While it is shielded, the Tarrasque's AC is raised by two due too the slippery surface and a slight application of dazzle camouflage (look it up it's cool.) And creature that makes a melee or grapple attack against the Tarrasque must make a strength saving throw. On a failed save, the Tarrasque takes half damage, and the attacker takes 6 (1d12) bludgeoning damage and falls prone. This condition can be dismissed early it is hit by an attack or spell that destroy the water (like disintegrate) or remove it from them (like gust of wind.) These spells are up to DM discretion. This cannot be active at the same time as Whirling Blaze.
Whirling Blaze (Recharge 6): The Tarrasque summons elemental power and creates a swirling storm of fire around itself. Each creature within 10 ft takes 6 (1d12) fire damage a turn, the Tarrasque's movement speed is increased by ten, and it adds (3d6) fire damage to each swallow. The Tarrasque may launch this blaze as a bonus action, causing an explosion. Each creature within 30 ft must make a DC 22 dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take 30 (5d12) and are blinded for 2 (1d4) turns. On a succeeded save, they take half damage and are not blinded. The blaze may be dismissed by something that would destroy it (such as disintegrate) or douse it (such as tsunami.) DM discretion determines these spells. This ability cannot be active at the same time as water shield.

REACTIONS.
Bloodied Chomp. When the Tarrasque falls below half its hit point maximum, it makes a bite attack against a target within range or uses its Swallow, automatically scoring a critical hit. Once the Tarrasque uses this reaction, it can't use it again until it reaches its hit point maximum.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS.
The Tarrasque can take 3 legendary actions each turn.

Attack. The Tarrasque attacks either with its claw or with its tail.
Move. The Tarrasque either walks up to its speed, or it casts Misty Step.
Aura Shift. The Tarrasque shifts it's aura.
Chomp (2 actions). The Tarrasque either makes a bite attack or swallows a creature.
Recharge (3 actions). The Tarrasque makes an extra recharge roll for each of it's abilities.

WHAT I'VE DONE: I kept your elemental nature and spellcasting (though I removed teleport and invisibility because A: It can already move terrifyingly fast across the world and B: IT'S A GIANT MONSTER. IT'S REALLY NOT STEALTHY.), but I expanded it in so much that it is now not specifically an earth elemental, but a monstrous combination of all four. I restored it's immortality ability from earlier editions with some slight modifications, and taking inspiration from the elemental nature, I gave it different "modes" and abilities based on the elements. I mostly copy/pasted the real meat of the basic abilities from the Neo and True, with a few small number changes. Hope you enjoy. If you, ImSAMazing, want any specific changes too this thing, i'll happily oblige. I'm worried I may have made it a bit too strong...

Wow... that's my first really big monster. So... i'd love criticism as well. More than even making it balanced, please also give me ways to make it's elemental powers equal. A lot of this is copy/pasted from both the True/Neo Tarrasque, so credit where credit is due there. If this thing is half decent, I actually might make more high power bosses. More fun than I thought.
Now i'm going too sleep.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-05-01, 10:24 PM
Instead of adding flight and teleportation, I'd focus on adding better mundane mobility options, adding a ranged attack or two, and bringing back the regenerative properties that it used to have.
The Pathfinder tarrasque might be a good start. It has incredible leaps, throws spines, and retains regeneration.

Foxydono
2018-05-02, 06:04 PM
Well, first give the Tarrasque some regen, then give it two seperate beholder eyes. They act just like beholders and can either shoot rays or use their antimagic cone and act on the inniative of the Tarrasque. Lastly, make is intelligent instead of a rampaging mindless beast. This will take care of most silly loopholes and make it a true CR 30 worthy creature.