PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Planetouched (human heritage feats)

rferries
2018-04-28, 05:21 AM
A fighter may select all of the following feats as fighter bonus feats. At the DM's option, a wizard may also select them as wizard bonus feats.

Planetouched Heritage [Planetouched]
You are descended from humans who interbred with outsiders.

Prerequisites
Human, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
Your blood (or ichor) is infused with powerful metaphysical forces. You gain darkvision out to 60 feet, your type changes to outsider, and you gain the [Native] subtype. You gain additional subtypes according to your alignment when you select this feat, as described below.

Alignment
Subtypes1

Chaotic evil
[Chaotic], [Evil]

Chaotic good
[Chaotic], [Good]

Chaotic neutral
[Chaotic]

Lawful evil
[Evil], [Lawful]

Lawful good
[Good], [Lawful]

Lawful neutral
[Lawful]

Neutral evil
[Evil]

Neutral good
[Good]

Neutral (true)
-

1Your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes) and any weapons you wield are treated as weapons of this alignment (or as magic weapons, if you are true neutral).

Special
If your alignment changes, the effects of this feat (and all other [Planetouched] feats) are still determined by your original alignment rather than your new alignment. If you receive an atonement spell, you lose the effects of your original alignment but gain the effects of your new alignment.

When you select this feat, you must select another [Planetouched] feat as your bonus human feat.

Planetouched Armour [Planetouched]
Most mortal weapons cannot harm you.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
You gain damage reduction according to your alignment, as described below.

Alignment
Damage Reduction

Chaotic evil
2/cold iron or good

Chaotic good
2/cold iron or evil

Chaotic neutral
2/cold iron or lawful

Lawful evil
2/good or silver

Lawful good
2/evil or silver

Lawful neutral
2/chaotic or silver

Neutral evil
2/adamantine or good

Neutral good
2/adamantine or evil

Neutral (true)
2/adamantine or magic

Special
You may select this feat up to three times. The second time you choose it, your damage reduction increases to one-half your character level. The third time you choose it, your damage reduction increases to three-quarters of your character level, and can only be overcome by weapons with both of the listed properties (rather than weapons with either of the listed properties).

Planetouched Energy Resistances [Planetouched]
Just as your ancestors endured the celestial thunder, the flames of the depths, or the alien energies of the planes of madness, so too do you endure those elements..

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
If you are evil-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to acid, cold, and fire damage.

If you are good-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to cold, electricity, and sonic damage.

If you are neither evil- nor good-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to acid, electricity, and sonic damage.

At 3rd level, each of the energy resistances increases to 10. At 7th level, each of the resistances increases to 20. At 11th level, each of the resistances increases to 30.

Planetouched Immunities [Planetouched]
Your divine heritage protects you from certain ills.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
If you are chaotic-aligned, you are immune to daze, slow , and stunningeffects.

If you are evil-aligned, you are immune to all poisons and ability damage (except self-inflicted ability damage).

If you are good-aligned, you are immune to all diseases and cannot be sickened or nauseated.

If you are lawful-aligned, you are immune to confusion and fear effects, as well as all forms of insanity.

Planetouched Mind [Planetouched]
Your ancestry makes you particularly charming, insightful, or mighty.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
You gain bonuses to your ability scores according to your alignment, as follows.

Alignment
Ability Modifiers

Chaotic evil
+2 Cha, +2 Str

Chaotic good
+2 Cha, +2 Dex

Chaotic neutral
+2 Cha, +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Wis

Lawful evil
+2 Cha, +2 Int

Lawful good
+2 Cha, +2 Wis

Lawful neutral
+2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha

Neutral evil
+2 Cha, +2 Dex

Neutral good
+2 Cha, +2 Wis

Neutral (true)
+2 Str, +2 Wis

Planetouched Resistance [Planetouched]
You are as agile, healthy, or strong-willed as a divine being.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
Choose a saving throw (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). Your base save for that saving throw increases to one-half your character level +2.

Special
You may select this feat more than once, choosing a different saving throw each time.

Planetouched Skills [Planetouched]
You are as wise as a spirit.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
You gain 2 bonus skill points per level (to a maximum of 8 + your Intelligence modifier + your human bonus skill points), with quadruple skill points at first level.

Depending on your alignment, certain skills are always considered class skills for you as shown below. Regain one skill point for each cross-class skill rank you have invested in those skills when you take this feat.

Alignment
Skills

Any

Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes)

Chaotic

Bluff

Evil

Intimidate

Good

Diplomacy

Lawful

Sense Motive

Special
You may select this feat more than once. Its effects stack (for the purpose of skill points).

Planetouched Spell Resistance [Planetouched]
Your divine heritage protects you from harmful magic.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
You gain spell resistance equal to your character level +5.

Special
You may select this feat up to four times. Each time you select it, your spell resistance increases by an additional +5 (to a maximum of your character level +20).

Planetouched Toughness [Planetouched]
You are as durable as an outsider.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
Each of your Hit Dice increases one step (to a maximum of d8).

Special
You may select this feat more than once. Its effects stack.

Planetouched Ward [Planetouched]
Your aura repels attacks of an opposing alignment.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
You gain constant, inherent protection from chaos, evil, good, and/or law effects as appropriate to your alignment. If you are true neutral, the effects apply against creatures of any extreme alignment (i.e. chaotic evil, chaotic good, lawful evil, and lawful good). You cannot suppress these effects. This is a supernatural ability.

Special
You may select this feat up to four times. The second time you choose it, the protection effects increase into magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law effects. The third time you choose it, you gain constant dispel chaos, evil, good, and/or law effects as appropriate (whenever the effects would be discharged they are instantly recreated). The fourth time you take it, you gain constant cloak of chaos, holy aura, shield or law, and/or unholy aura effects (on yourself only) as appropriate.

Goaty14
2018-04-28, 07:18 PM
When you select this feat, you must select another [Planetouched] feat as your bonus human feat.

Why? That's all I have to say, since I can't imagine your reasoning here

Aniikinis
2018-04-29, 11:23 AM
Just a little nitpick here, but you might want to specify that it's the subtypes that are being used for each feat after the first. Common sense dictates that's what you mean, but it seems to be rare in many groups that I've played in.

rferries
2018-04-29, 04:51 PM
Why? That's all I have to say, since I can't imagine your reasoning here

Aasimar and tieflings are widely considered too weak for LA+1 but too strong for LA+0 so these feats are meant to replace them, If you mimic a planetouched by playing a human with [Planetouched] feats the power is balanced by consuming your starting feats (gaining power but sacrificing versatility).

Just a little nitpick here, but you might want to specify that it's the subtypes that are being used for each feat after the first. Common sense dictates that's what you mean, but it seems to be rare in many groups that I've played in.

There's a little clause buried under Special for the Planetouched Heritage feat, all problem players should be referred there before they get greedy :)

Aniikinis
2018-04-29, 08:48 PM
There's a little clause buried under Special for the Planetouched Heritage feat, all problem players should be referred there before they get greedy :)

I'm aware of that, I'm talking about when taking the other feats before getting the atonement spell. This would allow the player to get strange combinations before obtaining the atonement (if they ever did at all).

rferries
2018-04-29, 09:04 PM
I'm aware of that, I'm talking about when taking the other feats before getting the atonement spell. This would allow the player to get strange combinations before obtaining the atonement (if they ever did at all).

Hm the clause was intended to keep all the feats tied to one alignment... if it's not clear I'll have a think about rewording it.

Aniikinis
2018-04-29, 09:52 PM
Hm the clause was intended to keep all the feats tied to one alignment... if it's not clear I'll have a think about rewording it.

You can simply key it all off of the subtypes granted by the Planar Heritage feat, while still allowing for the alignment subtype change via atonement.

Nifft
2018-04-29, 10:05 PM
Immunity to ability damage => no Hellfire Warlock allowed.

That seems counter-productive for team evil.

Westhart
2018-04-30, 10:40 AM
Planetouched Energy Resistances [Planetouched]
Just as your ancestors endured the celestial thunder, the flames of the depths, or the alien energies of the planes of madness, so too do you endure those elements..

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
If you are chaotic-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to acid, fire, and sonic damage.

If you are evil-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to acid, cold, and fire damage.

If you are good-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to cold, electricity, and sonic damage.

If you are lawful-aligned, you gain resistance 5 to acid, cold, and sonic damage.

Special
You may select this feat up to four times, increasing the energy resistances as follows: 5, 10, 20, 30.

Just strolling through, but I doubt that I'd ever, select this feat. Energy resistance 5 isn't that great... Especially when you get your energy resistance from items/spells at higher levels... And for the increase, wouldn't it be 10, 20, 30 since you already have ER 5?

Planetouched Immunities [Planetouched]
Your divine heritage protects you from certain ills.

Prerequisites
Human, Planetouched.

Benefits
If you are chaotic-aligned, you are immune to slow effects and stunning.

If you are evil-aligned, you are immune to all poisons and ability damage.

If you are good-aligned, you are immune to all diseases and cannot be sickened or nauseated.

If you are lawful-aligned, you are immune to confusion and fear effects, as well as all forms of insanity.

I might suggest throwing daze onto chaotic, as it's much harder to gain immunity to then stunning is... However if you did that certain spells like celerity suddenly look so much more appealing...

...for Good... Diseases are pretty easy to deal with from what I've seen, excluding some low magic etc worlds, and I've not encountered it too much, but are sickened and nauseated common conditions? I mean sure, they're powerful but how often will they really come up?

jqavins
2018-05-01, 02:03 PM
So, +2 to two ability scores plus DR or immunities or some such right out of the gate. Dang! this is high power stuff. Your games must run pretty wild.

The thread subject knocked my brain around for a moment, as I read it and saw "Planet Ouched" then needed a second to fix that.

rferries
2018-05-01, 05:43 PM
You can simply key it all off of the subtypes granted by the Planar Heritage feat, while still allowing for the alignment subtype change via atonement.

I've rewritten the clause, any better?

Immunity to ability damage => no Hellfire Warlock allowed.

That seems counter-productive for team evil.

I generally don't balance for non-Core material, but I've added a clause for that just in case. It may be better if the feat granted a resistance bonus rather than a flat-out immunity, to avoid similar scenarios.

That feat is something of a mess - I was trying to think of thematic immunities for each alignment (fiends are immune to poison, celestials are immune to disease) but was drawing a lot of blanks... plus the protection from evil feat effectively gives immunity to compulsion effects anyways.... I may just scrap it.

Just strolling through, but I doubt that I'd ever, select this feat. Energy resistance 5 isn't that great... Especially when you get your energy resistance from items/spells at higher levels... And for the increase, wouldn't it be 10, 20, 30 since you already have ER 5?

I might suggest throwing daze onto chaotic, as it's much harder to gain immunity to then stunning is... However if you did that certain spells like celerity suddenly look so much more appealing...

...for Good... Diseases are pretty easy to deal with from what I've seen, excluding some low magic etc worlds, and I've not encountered it too much, but are sickened and nauseated common conditions? I mean sure, they're powerful but how often will they really come up?

The energy resistance started at 5 because that's what the aasimar/tiefling values start at... but yeah, it's inelegant. Replaced it with one scaling version which now is possibly too powerful :D

As I've mentioned above the immunity feat is a mess; added in the daze thing but I'm really thinking it should be scrapped. Maybe just a bonus for Fort or Will saves dependent on your alignment?

So, +2 to two ability scores plus DR or immunities or some such right out of the gate. Dang! this is high power stuff. Your games must run pretty wild.

The thread subject knocked my brain around for a moment, as I read it and saw "Planet Ouched" then needed a second to fix that.

This was definitely my worry... even "locking in" the human bonus feat probably isn't enough. I've split it into 2 different feats now, so you effectively forfeit the human bonus feat. I could also limit the options for the ability scores (e.g. Evil gives only +2 Cha or Str, Lawful gives +2 Int/-2 Cha, Chaotic gives +2 Cha/-2 Wis, Good gives +2 Cha or Wis, etc...)

Ha! Sounds like an intriguing franchise :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. Added a couple other feats for HD, skills, etc too.