PDA

View Full Version : Extra Attack

Angelalex242
2018-05-01, 05:25 PM
If Extra Attack (the level 5 class feature of the warrior classes) stacked, would that make Fighter 5/Barb 5/Ranger 5/Pal 5 a good idea or a bad idea? (This quad class now has 4 attacks, like a single classed fighter.)

ThePolarBear
2018-05-01, 05:31 PM
If Extra Attack (the level 5 class feature of the warrior classes) stacked, would that make Fighter 5/Barb 5/Ranger 5/Pal 5 a good idea or a bad idea? (This quad class now has 4 attacks, like a single classed fighter.)

2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 5. I suppose this might also be an answer to your question.

MagneticKitty
2018-05-01, 05:32 PM
Extra Attack

If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don’t add together. You can’t make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter’s version of Extra Attack does). Similarly, the warlock’s eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn’t give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack.

Angelalex242
2018-05-01, 05:40 PM
2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 5. I suppose this might also be an answer to your question.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that.

5 attacks then, superior to a single classed fighter.

And I'm not asking IF they stack, clearly they don't.

I'm asking if they were houseruled to stack, is the quad class more or less powerful then a single class anything?

Pex
2018-05-01, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROhf5Soqs

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-01, 05:47 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot about that.

5 attacks then, superior to a single classed fighter.

And I'm not asking IF they stack, clearly they don't.

I'm asking if they were houseruled to stack, is the quad class more or less powerful then a single class anything?

I would say absolutely, Barbarian and Paladin specifically have some fairly powerful front loaded abilities. It also really makes a Fighter feel bad.

I'd love to play a 5 attack smiting raging behemoth.

MrStabby
2018-05-01, 05:58 PM
I think that other mixes might be stronger than 5 levels of each if I am honest.

Paladin 11, Hunter Ranger 5, Barbarian 4 might beat it: you pick up the awesome paladin aura and every attack you do make deals an extra d8 damage. With something like polearm mastery you can be doing 6 attacks per turn and I think the extra 6 d8 would compensate for the lost attack.

There might be other interesting applications that could be fun: warlock/valor bard for example with 3 attacks could be great - 5 attacks with swiftquiver. This and an awesome selection of buffs and other spells as backup. Otherwise you can still use Hex and get obscene extra damage.

Fighter 5, bladesinger 6 gets to a third attack at the same time as a pure fighter with a lot more utility thrown in (and for pure melee options shield spells and so on are good).

It opens up uses for spells like shadowblade - a 2d8 or 3d8 weapon gets pretty mean when you can make LOADS of attacks with it. Bladesinger 6, Fighter 5, rogue 9 should be well capable of delivering some real pain.