PDA

View Full Version : True polymorph into a dragon?

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 03:27 AM
So I have recently hit level 17 on my warlock and got true polymorph to use against others. I didn't even think about using it on myself. The problem is, I would lose my warlock self, my DM has allowed the spell casting variant of dragons, but as an ancient brass dragon I would only get 7 5th level spells, which all around doesn't seem great. I choose the brass dragon for it's high charisma and it's ability to polymorph. So would becoming a dragon be worth giving up my warlock-hood?

Jerrykhor
2018-05-02, 04:10 AM
You got to weigh the pros and cons of being a dragon. IMO its more bad than good, and here's why:

Pros:
- You're a ****in dragon
- ???

Cons:
- Can't enter major cities
- Won't ever be invited to parties
- Lose all friends and allies
- Might get hunted by other high level adventurers
- Live a boring life of hoarding treasure, greedily admiring them and not much else. Can't even use said treasure
- Lack of opposable thumbs

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 04:22 AM
True, however I can shape change into any race. My next question is, could I start learning a class after that? I have seen no rule stating otherwise. As well, if I could not learn a class, could I not use full plate armor and a sword since I am extremely strong and just be a classes guy with a sword who's really strong and can turn into a dragon?

Jerrykhor
2018-05-02, 04:36 AM
If your DM allows, sure, anything's possible.

If you're talking about official rules, like in AL, then no. The moment you have no character levels, you become an NPC.

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 04:39 AM
The moment you have no character levels, you become an NPC.

You mean that TP will make me an NPC if I use it for over an hour?

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 05:37 AM
I apologise, I'm mostly trying g to figure out if it would be better for me (amazing stats and some good abilities) or if it would make me much weaker (I already have lycanthropy with full control over the beast blood, and am a lvl 17 warlock)

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-02, 06:17 AM
If you go a metallic dragon, there are stat-blocks for various human classes - Basically, you do have some options besides just staying in Dragon form all the time (Only with Metallic Dragons though). To add even more onto this, there are statblocks for various Warlock subclasses in Volo’s. I mean, as long as you were humanoid before, I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to turn back from time to time - that’s how my DM ruled it when my Wizard True-Polymorphed into a Bronze Dragon (Was going for Flavor-Points at the time).

In addition, in the spell, it says you can dispel it at any time, so you can just return to human form when you’re tired of being a Dragon, and then cast it as a “ritual” later (Referring to how long it takes to fully transform somebody, despite still requiring a spell-slot).

Amdy_vill
2018-05-02, 07:00 AM
really true poly is for extra hit points and mobility

damascoplay
2018-05-02, 09:27 AM
You got to weigh the pros and cons of being a dragon. IMO its more bad than good, and here's why:

Pros:
- You're a ****in dragon
- ???

Cons:
- Can't enter major cities
- Won't ever be invited to parties
- Lose all friends and allies
- Might get hunted by other high level adventurers
- Live a boring life of hoarding treasure, greedily admiring them and not much else. Can't even use said treasure
- Lack of opposable thumbs

"Brass dragons were the weakest of the metallic dragons, and also one of the most benign of all species of dragon. They loved to talk, to the exclusion of most else. They loved to engage friends and foes alike in hours of long-winded conversation. It was not unusual for a brass dragon to be fluent in several hundred different languages, although they obviously preferred to converse in Draconic whenever possible."

You won't get **** on for being a metallic dragon. Unless you decide to bring mayhem and death to wherever you go, but still. People will think twice before doing any harm towards you.

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 11:50 AM
"If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled." And as a dragon I have the ability to cast fifth level spells. I am seeing something useful.

strangebloke
2018-05-02, 11:54 AM
"If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled." And as a dragon I have the ability to cast fifth level spells. I am seeing something useful.

Indeed, you can always dispel magic on yourself and turn back into a warlock, wait a day, turn back into a dragon.

It's a good deal, overall.

Tanarii
2018-05-02, 12:08 PM
Indeed, you can always dispel magic on yourself and turn back into a warlock, wait a day, turn back into a dragon.

It's a good deal, overall.
Depends if the DM gives the dragon-form spells at all (its a variant), and what spells they pick.

Edit: im also of the opinion that a player permanently turning themselves into a non-PC form is telling the DM they want to retire the character. YDMMV

Vaar'Raash
2018-05-02, 12:15 PM
You won't get **** on for being a metallic dragon. Unless you decide to bring mayhem and death to wherever you go, but still. People will think twice before doing any harm towards you.

I'm chaotic evil, so I fully intend to.

strangebloke
2018-05-02, 12:24 PM
Depends if the DM gives the dragon-form spells at all (its a variant), and what spells they pick.

Edit: im also of the opinion that a player permanently turning themselves into a non-PC form is telling the DM they want to retire the character. YDMMV

he stated in the OP that he would have spell casting.

Asmotherion
2018-05-02, 03:31 PM
True, however I can shape change into any race. My next question is, could I start learning a class after that? I have seen no rule stating otherwise. As well, if I could not learn a class, could I not use full plate armor and a sword since I am extremely strong and just be a classes guy with a sword who's really strong and can turn into a dragon?

This is the territoty were you're practically playing with the Big Spells. World Shaping Stuff.

Raw is limited on this one. Rules Change from DM to DM or Table to Table.

As we play it, you keep your class features into Humanoid Form, and any abilities that are compatible with your Dragonic Form, you keep them as well (such as your ability to cast spells, witch is not limited by your new form). We figured, if there are Dragon Spellcasters (Dragon Bloodline Sorcerers/in past books, there were even Dragon Wizard classess and stuff like that), the Dragon is a Magical Enough creature to be a Spellcaster, Has access to innate magic, Can speak and has functioning front claws that are complex enough for somatic components/to substitute hands.

This however should feel like a Goal or Reward to your character, and not something they randomly end up with. And I would discourage taking too many animal forms if there's a Druid in the party; You're stepping into their domain, and they have to wait an other 3 levels to get there.

Level 17 is the level were Wish and Gate come into play. You're playing in the big League, and if you and your DM can come to an agreement, and trust each other, playing a cool Dragon like that is the best kind of D&D you can get. Use it, don't abuse it. As a matter of fact, avoid using your 9th level Mystic Arcanum for as long as you're a Dragon, should be a good compremise. It reduces the level of changes you can do to the world around you, but in exchange: you're a Dragon. That's kinda like a non-permanent use.

Now, your DM has the ultimate call on how this thing works for him and his world. I just give my personal view on the matter.

Tanarii
2018-05-02, 09:06 PM
he stated in the OP that he would have spell casting.
Clearly I'm just fantastic at reading ...

sophontteks
2018-05-02, 09:08 PM
Clearly I'm just fantastic at reading ...

Consolation prize. You were right about the character retiring.

Sigreid
2018-05-03, 08:52 AM
I've toyed with the idea of if someone wants to true polymorph into a dragon they could then start re learning their class as a means of carrying on into post 20 levels.

The thought process is it takes your first 30,000 xp is you learning and acclimating to being a dragon.

Admael
2018-05-03, 12:05 PM
If you're already a Lycanthrope, then I don't think the spell would work at all since True Polymorph states that shapechangers are unaffected by it.

Davrix
2018-05-03, 01:03 PM
It really depends on how much your DM is going to "let you get away with"

As a 20th wizard my DM let me be a little liberal with true polly and the wish spell.

Long story short I get to be a dragon who can transform into his old caster form once a day and have access to all my spells and abilities of that form. If I'm dropped below 0 HP in the caster form I revert back to my dragon state and cant use any of its class abilities. for the moment.

I will point out this was purely for a short 1 month gave of DBZ epic level silliness where we all died in the end but the point stands. By RAW and RAI you have to give up your caster stats to become a dragon, variant rule not included. But talk to your DM and if you two can come up with cool ideas that the party is ok with then by all means have fun. Just make sure the other party members are ok with it. What you don't want is to have the rest of the table feel overshadowed by you.