PDA

View Full Version : Harmless 'Common Tier' Magic Item Rewards

GemKnightDante
2018-05-04, 11:57 PM
Greetings one and all! A pleasure to have you on this fine day.

My campaign is currently one of a Japanese origin and the group is partaking in a festival to celebrate the coming on the lunar months (the time of year where the moon is out 16 hours a day). And apart of this I've been giving out tickets to those who have won in the carnival games! Now I've been planning on having a 'lucky dip' sort of prize at the cost of 3 tickets, one that would reward the PCs with a harmless magical item. Something along the lines of, say, a sack that could produce three fresh fish a day, along with the necessary water to sustain them in the bag. Something along those lines. Trinkets as some may call them.

Now I'm here to ask for suggestions of items I could throw into this proverbial lucky dip, so please lay any and all suggestions upon me!

Astofel
2018-05-05, 12:01 AM
If you have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, check out the common magic item section. Everyone is always happy to receive a Cloak of Billowing.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-05, 12:20 AM
If you have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, check out the common magic item section. Everyone is always happy to receive a Cloak of Billowing.

While true, I had to give the one my Fighter got over to the Bard.
And, to be honest, he would make much better use of it than I ever could.

Now, a Cloak of Many Fashions.. I'm gonna go effin' One Piece Navy Admiral on the party.
Massive 'coat' draped over the shoulders of my (eventually) full plate, billowing in the wind, but never quite falling off. Because 'JUSTICE NEVER FALLS!'

JakOfAllTirades
2018-05-05, 06:12 PM
I really like my Charlatan's Die, but I don't really know if it's worth one third of my character's attunement slots. Am I wrong?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-05, 06:53 PM
I really like my Charlatan's Die, but I don't really know if it's worth one third of my character's attunement slots. Am I wrong?

I would have really appreciated a set of those when my party came across a bag of holding and I wanted to bet my teammates on who gets to hold on to it.

From my own experience so far, I don't often have enough items to fill out my attunement slots anyway.

The Jack
2018-05-05, 07:34 PM
Japanese?

Face masks (perhaps for armour) that change expressions.

Stilt-sandals that pose no problem for balance, they just look cool/make you tall.

Robes of billowing

The Japanese also had something like the greek muscle curiass only with starving/fat old-man kinda look. Maybe it's magicly made to look real. Good comedy item.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-05, 08:01 PM
A bird whistle that gives the call of a Kingfisher. While you play it, an illusion of a kingfisher flies around your head.

A book of haikus. It is only one page long, but each time you open it, it contains a haiku relevant to whatever the party has been recently up to. (get ready to make up a lot of haikus, they'll be testing you)

A set of magic calligraphy brushes that never go dry.

Firecrackers that can be reused.

A lotus blossom that never wilts.

A set of koto strings that always stay in tune.

Of course, all of these, or nearly all, although minor items by mechanical standards, are probably all worth more than you'd find for tickets at a carnival game. Then again, if your carnivals are giving away magic, it's probably a pretty high magic world.

Nod_Hero
2018-05-06, 12:02 AM
A few things I've gathered from all over the internet;

Helper's Bell
Once per day casting of Unseen Servant.

Ball of Endless String
No matter how much of this 4-inch-diameter ball of woolen yarn is used, it never runs out.

Prism Glasses
If you have darkvision and are wearing these glasses, the first 15 feet of your darkvision you see in color.

Warm Glowing Rock
It is a warm rock which casts dim light in a 10 foot radius. Cannot be turned off but does not require refueling like a lantern does.

Pan of Cooking
If you hold this pan and speak a command word, it heats up to frying temperature to cook whatever is placed in it. Food never sticks to this pan.

Bottle of Preservation
This magical bottle appears to be a normal glass specimen. However, any object placed within is preserved from decay as long as it remains within the bottle. Bottles of preservation come in many sizes, shapes and colors of glass.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-06, 12:22 AM
one that would reward the PCs with a harmless magical item. Something along the lines of, say, a sack that could produce three fresh fish a day, along with the necessary water to sustain them in the bag. Something along those lines. Trinkets as some may call them.

WARNING: There's no such thing as a "harmless magical item" in the hands of a creative player. Give me that bag of fish and I'll find a way to break your world's economy. So just know, from one DM to another, that your players will find a way to use whatever you give them to do something extremely influential and gamebreaking. That or they'll literally never mention it after they get it. So moving on to the ideas:

A folding fan that has art on both sides, which can change according to the player's imagination. You could give a +1-2 bonus on various charisma checks situationally if you wanted.

A toy Samurai bow that magically nocks an arrow with a suction cup whenever the string is pulled. The arrows appear out of thin air and last an hour. If you want to make it really interesting, let the magic suction cup hold up to 300 lbs. or so.

A Brick of Throwing: Improvised weapon that magically returns to your hand as a free action whenever you throw it. Range 20/30

The Fabled Fanny Pack: The holds up to the volume of a regular backpack, but when the buckle is fastened the pack disappears and only the belt remains. It's stylish and the player can recall or dismiss the pack as a free action. Great for concealing items on your person that would fit into a normal pack.

Beleriphon
2018-05-06, 08:59 AM
How about an o-fuda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuda) that stops the roof of any building it is applied to from leaking no matter how many holes it has.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-06, 09:25 AM
Traveler’s Cloak: kees you comfortable in hot or cold environments. Keeps unwanted precipitation off of you. In one pocket is enough jerky to sustain you for the day. In the other is a silver flask that produces 2 gallons of hot or cool water, or sugared tea. On command it converts to a two man pup tent and retains it’s environmental qualities.
Most sought after item by our group.

A book thay contains a popular story. As you read it, you become aware of the previous owners of the book. You can ask their memories a question once a week, and if they are willing, will answer to the best of their ability/knowledge.

Explorer’s Sword: 7 charges, each charge can be used for the following:
Lay on the ground and will spin to point towards the nearest source of fresh water, edible plants, or true North. Will ping a number of times to indicate miles distant for food/water.
Can summon 50’ of rope.
Can harden to become virtually indestructible and can be used as a crowbar to provide advantage on strength checks or as a wedge. Lasts one hour.

Charges recover 1d4+1 at Dawn, and gain two more charges when used underground.

strangebloke
2018-05-06, 09:50 AM
Read through the trinkets page in the DMG. There's tons of goodies there, like a cap that always grants a dreamless night's sleep.

Beleriphon
2018-05-06, 10:06 AM
Charges recover 1d4+1 at Dawn, and gain two more charges when used underground.

Is the sword also oddly pixelated?

opaopajr
2018-05-06, 10:43 AM
Easiest solution is give the magical item charges. If you want to make it stronger, allow an affordable means to recharge the item. Stronger still is have it naturally recharge per set time period/circumstance.

Be wary about "always on," or "everlasting" items, even if the effect seems minor -- humans are notoriously creative as they are disruptive.

With that said, take a look at some 1st lvl class features, or racial features, or low lvl spells & cantrips, maybe even a component bulletpoint from a Feat, for inspiration. Then throw in some familiar Japanese themed items and let your imagination make simple connections! You may be surprised how creative you are!

For example,

"Calling Upon the Kami" Guidance Pinwheel -- it's a common pinwheel that has one charge of the Guidance cantrip. It recharges upon a Long Rest after you've given good advice to another who asks for some.

Juseki's Fabulous Paper Lantern -- has 6 charges of the Light cantrip on it. (Charges equal to Juseki's Proficiency Bonus. He is so legendary and dreamy! :smalltongue: Whatever fluff you want... )

Just keep it simple and mostly disposable, like a potion of healing.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-06, 10:43 PM
Is the sword also oddly pixelated?

It is now :)

Lord8Ball
2018-05-06, 10:56 PM
Magic diary:
Records your words, internal thoughts, and reasoning as if a novel as it happens. It is also useful for recording dreams.

Magic quill:
Animated quill that creates words or drawings when you mentally command it to.

Derpldorf
2018-05-07, 12:20 AM
I've always liked practical items that give you options and reduce pack clutter and carry weight.

Rod of useful tools: A small iron rod with a row of several buttons along one side. Upon pressing a button the rod expands into one of several forms. It can take on the form of a shovel, pickaxe, wood axe, saw, crowbar, or rasp. Each form has a button that collapses it back into a rod.

I know, pretty plain, but it opens up soo many options. You'd be surprised just how much you can get done with the right tool.

The Jack
2018-05-07, 04:05 AM
A few things I've gathered from all over the internet;

Helper's Bell
Once per day casting of Unseen Servant.

Ball of Endless String
No matter how much of this 4-inch-diameter ball of woolen yarn is used, it never runs out.

Warm Glowing Rock
It is a warm rock which casts dim light in a 10 foot radius. Cannot be turned off but does not require refueling like a lantern does.

All of which change the economy

Helper- Free labour. Unseen servant tok ar jobs!

Ball of endless string
This one's by far the worst, since you no longer need raw materials for ropes,nets, some parts of clothing, carpets, curtains, combustibles; and if you're really getting easy free string you'd probaby start making more things out of string/rope than you would if you had normal material access,.

The Glowing rock's not so bad, especially considering darkvision, but They'd totally outdoo lanterns and torches in long term cost.

Knaight
2018-05-07, 04:28 AM
This one's by far the worst, since you no longer need raw materials for ropes,nets, some parts of clothing, carpets, curtains, combustibles; and if you're really getting easy free string you'd probaby start making more things out of string/rope than you would if you had normal material access,.

It's not completely useless, no. That said, it's endless string to the tune of maybe a yard per second, and that's if you have it hooked up to a specialized waterwheel 24/7. In terms of industrial output that's nothing.

Cespenar
2018-05-07, 04:28 AM
The Blade of Cutting: This knife has an incredible enchantment of being extra sharp against nonliving, nonmagical organic matter (like food), and extra dull against living organic matter (like human). Thus, you can peel and chop food like a boss without the risk of injuring your hands.

Everflowing Cup of Tea: Three times per day, this cup can fill itself with the type of tea specifically fitting the cup holder's mood, ranging from oolong to rooibos, white, matcha, and more.

Scabbard of Frozen Time: A sister item to the Cloak/Robe of Billowing, whenever a sword is pulled quickly from this scabbard, a gentle rain of cherry blossom petals begins to fall from the sky. The petals dissipate into thin air after a minute.

Spore
2018-05-07, 04:59 AM
An origami swan that turns into a real swan once put onto water. The swan has a swim speed of 30' and will scout with a pp of 10.

It has 1 HP and AC 11. If it is attacked it leaves behind a corpse that oozes no blood. If picked up it then resembles a crumbled up piece of paper.

It reforms on the day of the yearly festival or after a DC 15 dex check. Sleight of hand, scribe's tools or similar profiencies apply.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-07, 06:39 AM
I can’t recall tge source on this, but a friend mentioned:

“The Good Night Teddy Bear”.

A player who sleeps holding this item, gains the benefits of a long rest even if adverse conditions would interfere. Similar to a weapon of warning, it can instantly awaken the sleeper when in danger. Lastly, it grants immunity to the Dream spell and similar effects while the user is asleep.

Vogie
2018-05-08, 07:35 AM
How about an o-fuda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuda) that stops the roof of any building it is applied to from leaking no matter how many holes it has.

Actually, that could be a whole line of common magic items. They're portable, as they can be rolled up and stowed, but not overly so, because they only are effective when they are hanging from something. Like permanent utility scrolls of something really minor.

smcmike
2018-05-08, 08:55 AM
A wind-up music box that can be set to record and play back any sound it hears.

A kite that looks just like a dragon when airborne.

Stringless puppets that dance to any music they hear.

Floating paper lanterns that obey simple voice commands.

Fireworks