PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Water Genasi Druid

Sossoul
2018-05-07, 02:26 PM
Dear Forum

I am a new D&D player, I have chosen to be a Water Genasi Druid. I heavely focus on lore and background, making as much of my spells and cantrips water or ice orientated and giving myself only the ability to wildshape into water of amphibious creatures. My druidic focus is a seapear wich is embedded in the handle of my scimptar (the blade is made from sharkteeth). During the first session we were trapped inside a dungeon and while escaping we overheard some goblins saying that my sword was sold in the city. So for our next session we just got to lv2 and on our way to the town in search of my sword.

My question for you: wich spells/cantrips can I use without my druidic focus? Can I wildshape without it?

thank you

nickl_2000
2018-05-07, 02:45 PM
My question for you: wich spells/cantrips can I use without my druidic focus? Can I wildshape without it?

thank you

A focus replaces all spells that have a material component. So any spell with an M in in the components will cast perfectly fine. Many spells that have a material component will have the component as something easy to replace so you can just find it.

For example Thornwhip requires Components V S M (Stem of a thorned plant). So, you would need to cut the stem off a thorned plant, that is something you should be able to easily find outside of most cities.

You can absolutely wildshape without a focus.

Beechgnome
2018-05-07, 10:26 PM
Many druid cantrips don't have material components, and therefore don't need your focus, including the thematic shape water and frostbite. For 1st level spells, the thematic fog cloud, plus absorb elements, cure wounds, entangle, Faerie fire and thunderwave, to name a few, also don't need your focus. So you'll be fine until you get it back.