PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best Way to Create a Teleportation Circle?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-07, 05:51 PM
If you cast Teleportation Circle in the same spot for a year it becomes permanent. There are other spells with similar affects such as Mighty Fortress. As I see it there are two ways to make these sorts of spells permanent, and both seem unrealistic most of the time.

1) Cast it yourself every day for a year. I want to play Dungeons & Dragons, not Magic Construction Worker Simulation.
2) Hire someone to do it. Depending on the DM this will be unaffordable by most parties or an investment of most of their resources.

So, can any of you brilliant people think of any clever work-arounds or anything that makes this easier/feasible? I'm not trying to find ways to dodge any investment in these sorts of things. Just ways to make it legitimately possible.

Sigreid
2018-05-07, 06:14 PM
This is the way I would expect it to go down.

Player: "DM, I want to set up a permanent teleportation circle over the next year."
Other Players: "Yeah, that will be handy and we can do some of our time consuming stuff."
DM: "OK, I'll run a couple of mini scenarios over the next few sessions for events that happen over the next year. If at any time you aren't able to cast teleportation circle on a day, you will have to start over. We'll skip over the boring times."

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-07, 06:33 PM

Player: "DM, I want to set up a permanent teleportation circle over the next year."
Other Players: "Yeah, that will be handy and we can do some of our time consuming stuff."
DM: "OK, I'll run a couple of mini scenarios over the next few sessions for events that happen over the next year. If at any time you aren't able to cast teleportation circle on a day, you will have to start over. We'll skip over the boring times."

This is how I'd try to handle it as a DM. The issue comes in when the campaign you're running is time sensitive whether that's on the scale of weeks or months. Often times in my campaigns I've run and played, it would've been hard to justify "taking a year off" in fiction. But this is kind of the ideal situation.

MaxWilson
2018-05-07, 06:53 PM
If you cast Teleportation Circle in the same spot for a year it becomes permanent. There are other spells with similar affects such as Mighty Fortress. As I see it there are two ways to make these sorts of spells permanent, and both seem unrealistic most of the time.

1) Cast it yourself every day for a year. I want to play Dungeons & Dragons, not Magic Construction Worker Simulation.
2) Hire someone to do it. Depending on the DM this will be unaffordable by most parties or an investment of most of their resources.

So, can any of you brilliant people think of any clever work-arounds or anything that makes this easier/feasible? I'm not trying to find ways to dodge any investment in these sorts of things. Just ways to make it legitimately possible.

Well, there's always Simulacrum. It doesn't completely free you from having to pay attention (a given Simulacrum, by vanilla rules, will only have enough spell points to cast Teleportation Circle a maximum of 17 times without epic boons, and with spell slots it would be only 8 times) but it free you from having to spend 365 days a year casting the same spell without a single break. Every time you need a few days to go explore a crypt or a vampire infestation you leave behind your Simulacrum to mind the store while you're gone.

If you're constantly off adventuring then this gets a lot more cumbersome, but if you're constantly off adventuring elsewhere then you have less need for permanent enchantments in your hometown anyway.

Bottom line: these spells exist mostly for downtime and (especially) backstory purposes. (Which is weird because they're still pretty easy to dispel, so they don't really do their job as backstory elements unless the DM houserules Dispel Magic to be less effective.)

Lunali
2018-05-07, 06:55 PM
If I wanted the players to be able to do it, I would probably rule that they had to cast the spell 360 times in the same place with a maximum of once a day.

If I didn't want them to get it done, even hiring it out wouldn't work as something would disrupt the schedule.

Unoriginal
2018-05-08, 02:59 AM
This is how I'd try to handle it as a DM. The issue comes in when the campaign you're running is time sensitive whether that's on the scale of weeks or months. Often times in my campaigns I've run and played, it would've been hard to justify "taking a year off" in fiction. But this is kind of the ideal situation.

If the PCs don't have the time to do it, it's not happening.

As simple as that.

Of course the DM should remind the players of that if any of them want to take the spell. It should not be a "gotcha" situation.

kaoskonfety
2018-05-08, 11:42 AM
If the PCs don't have the time to do it, it's not happening.

As simple as that.

Of course the DM should remind the players of that if any of them want to take the spell. It should not be a "gotcha" situation.

I'd assume that most players take the spell to go to existing teleportation circles and setting up your own Circles goes under the same heading as making magic items "You can but its quite the project and it can take longer than some campaigns to do". The "once a day for a year" thing makes this pretty clear to most.

If you want them more common ease up on the number of days castings to your taste - either by making the year shorter or changing it to "Season" or "Month" rather than year.

That said there could easily be a magic item to speed the process you hash out with the DM to find or design - perhaps a stone circle that takes some months (lets say 9 months) to enchant that multiple crafters can work on, cutting down the time if not the cost, that you then only need to cast the spell on for another 3 months to lock down permanent like (shuffle the numbers on enchanting/casting time around until you and the DM agree or realize you are not going to agree).

Sigreid
2018-05-08, 12:08 PM
You could make or buy 365 scrolls and then make a simulacrum of yourself to use the scrolls, I suppose. If you dont want to put the time in.

Vogie
2018-05-08, 12:44 PM
You discover an ancient machination artifact that resembles an oversize 3D printer. Once you fill it with 18,250gp worth of rare chalks and inks infused with precious gems, it will activate and cast/print the spell every day for 365 days.
Of course, it could be interrupted or disabled via an attack, so it's usually used in places with fantastic security.

Of course, the easiest way to create one is just by having a high-level caster hang around, setting up a trade network. The description states "You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way", meaning you CAN actually use each casting while you are setting it up, so as long as there's a demand for goods to flow in one direction.

Ventruenox
2018-05-08, 02:01 PM
Warning: Cheese ahead. On the cheese scale from chedder to pun-pun, I'd rank this idea as an adelost. (https://www.cheese.com/adelost/)

Teleportation Circle
Sources: PHB.281 SRD.186 Tags: bard cleric (arcana) sorcerer wizard level5 conjuration
5th-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 minute

Range: 10 feet

Components: V, M (rare chalks and inks infused with precious gems with 50 gp, which the spell consumes)

Duration: 1 round

As you cast the spell, you draw a 10-foot-diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link your location to a permanent teleportation circle of your choice, whose sigil sequence you know and that is on the same plane of existence as you. A shimmering portal opens within the circle you drew and remains open until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the portal instantly appears within 5 feet of the destination circle or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.

Many major temples, guilds, and other important places have permanent teleportation circles inscribed somewhere within their confines. Each such circle includes a unique sigil sequence—-a string of magical runes arranged in a particular pattern. When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on the Material Plane, determined by the DM. You can learn additional sigil sequences during your adventures. You can commit a new sigil sequence to memory after studying it for 1 minute.

You can create a permanent teleportation circle by casting this spell in the same location every day for one year. You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way.

Note that the permanent circle is tied to the sequence of sigils, and that creating a new one merely requires the spell to be cast in the same location until it becomes permanent. There is nothing to indicate that an already existing permanent Teleportation Circle cannot be relocated after it is created. This certainly breaks the intention of the spell's design, but satisfies the intent of this thread.

Find an existing permanent Teleportation Circle and steal it. Sure, all manner of repercussions should ensue. That can be interesting as well for both your party and the DM. Erfworld capitol cities never know who may come through their gates, so they always place them in a defensible room.

Sigreid
2018-05-08, 02:06 PM
Warning: Cheese ahead. On the cheese scale from chedder to pun-pun, I'd rank this idea as an adelost. (https://www.cheese.com/adelost/)

Note that the permanent circle is tied to the sequence of sigils, and that creating a new one merely requires the spell to be cast in the same location until it becomes permanent. There is nothing to indicate that an already existing permanent Teleportation Circle cannot be relocated after it is created. This certainly breaks the intention of the spell's design, but satisfies the intent of this thread.

Find an existing permanent Teleportation Circle and steal it. Sure, all manner of repercussions should ensue. That can be interesting as well for both your party and the DM. Erfworld capitol cities never know who may come through their gates, so they always place them in a defensible room.

This works well for the flying castle stolen from the kindly cloud giant you murdered for his castle.

JoeJ
2018-05-08, 02:11 PM

And when the owner, who was away at the time, tries to go home there will be surprises all around. Hmmm. It may not be a good idea to steal a teleportation circle without being very sure you know who else has the sigil sequence.

Sigreid
2018-05-08, 02:22 PM
And when the owner, who was away at the time, tries to go home there will be surprises all around. Hmmm. It may not be a good idea to steal a teleportation circle without being very sure you know who else has the sigil sequence.

There have been extensive discussions on this board about how to defend your circle.

JoeJ
2018-05-08, 02:31 PM
There have been extensive discussions on this board about how to defend your circle.

But how much time to you have to prepare them?

From the other POV, it might be fun to have the PCs try and recover a stolen circle belonging to their patron/boss.

Sigreid
2018-05-08, 02:42 PM
But how much time to you have to prepare them?

From the other POV, it might be fun to have the PCs try and recover a stolen circle belonging to their patron/boss.

Defenses for your circle should be of the always on sort.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-08, 02:56 PM
You discover an ancient machination artifact that resembles an oversize 3D printer. Once you fill it with 18,250gp worth of rare chalks and inks infused with precious gems, it will activate and cast/print the spell every day for 365 days.
Of course, it could be interrupted or disabled via an attack, so it's usually used in places with fantastic security.

This could work! I like it because I'm the manager of a coworking space with 3D printers and a big CNC Router! So you get points for theme!

Of course, the easiest way to create one is just by having a high-level caster hang around, setting up a trade network. The description states "You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way", meaning you CAN actually use each casting while you are setting it up, so as long as there's a demand for goods to flow in one direction.

This is actually a really good idea for compensating a high-level caster if there's a business model or something for the party.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-08, 02:58 PM

Every time you reply to one of my threads I think to myself, "We were made to play in a campaign together." Just thought I'd let you know. xD

JoeJ
2018-05-08, 03:00 PM

They couldn't have been very effective, then, because you managed to steal it.

But my point was that it takes time for you to set up the defenses for your stolen circle, and you don't know how long it will be before its owner comes through it.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-08, 03:19 PM

https://i.imgur.com/8tCwmK1.jpg

greenstone
2018-05-08, 07:44 PM
I want to play Dungeons & Dragons, not Magic Construction Worker Simulation.

Not all of the rules are there for PCs.

You're right, we are playing this game to raid dungeons not to do mundane stuff. The NPCs in the world are there to to the mundane stuff.

Teleportation circles are supposed to be rare and valuable. If youhave to do something for a year, not missing a single day, then the result of your work is valuable. Teleportagion circles are going to be owned and guarded.

wilhelmdubdub
2018-05-08, 10:21 PM
How about using a bard with glyph of warding. Set the area with the trigger to go off in 24h, 48h, you have to use double spell slots but you should be able to do that.

Kane0
2018-05-08, 10:44 PM
Alternatively, bind some demon to do it for you. Because you're a wizard with **** to do, and nothing ever goes wrong with bound demons.

Malifice
2018-05-09, 02:19 AM

DM: 'OK; what are the rest of you doing with your year of Downtime?'

Wilko
2018-05-09, 03:52 AM

I was thinking something similar but less illegal, given that the circle attaches to the surface its cast on there is nothing stopping a magic dealer creating and selling these - get a 10/15 ft stone or even metal circle made, cast on it every day for a year, then sell it to someone at a markup (Initial costs 18250 + crafting costs, given the rarity asking price could be around 30 - 40k)
A high enough level mage could make several of these at once...

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-09, 09:00 AM
I was thinking something similar but less illegal, given that the circle attaches to the surface its cast on there is nothing stopping a magic dealer creating and selling these - get a 10/15 ft stone or even metal circle made, cast on it every day for a year, then sell it to someone at a markup (Initial costs 18250 + crafting costs, given the rarity asking price could be around 30 - 40k)
A high enough level mage could make several of these at once...

Eureka! My party will just find a teleportation circle and take the floor that it's inscribed on back to our base!

Vogie
2018-05-09, 09:46 AM
I feel really dumb for not noticing that potential interaction.
Perhaps a rival or ancient nation has/had a tactic where they craft teleportation circles on one or more types of mobile platforms, then position them strategically, rather than having their armies tromping across the world - Effectively the StarCraft II Protoss Waygate Strategy.

Mobile platforms could include:

Warships
Airships
Oversize Carts
Portable Alters (Ranging in size between Anvil and Stargate wheel)

If the creators are an ancient people, perhaps there is some sort of lore, myth, or divine power associated to it.
If the creators are an existing nation, the party could discover one that was thought to be lost due to an accident or incursion... but who is to say someone from that nation tries to use it anyway?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-09, 09:57 AM

I just realized that I think you're talking about what I mentioned below. At first I thought you were saying to just copy down the sigils and write them somewhere else, which was confusing. But yeah, I'm just imagining my character conspiring with our kleptomaniac Goliath to steal a big chunk of somebody's stone floor. Haha, this is priceless! I just need to find a circle in this world that's used as a common trade route! We've already got the lake and the canal next time we get back to the homestead.

Ventruenox
2018-05-09, 10:39 AM
Every time you reply to one of my threads I think to myself, "We were made to play in a campaign together." Just thought I'd let you know. xD

Among gamers, that is probably the highest compliment. Thanks.

I realize that the way I phrased my suggestion comes off as a bit murderhoboish, but when you consider the time frame that was presented, the solution needs to be to use one that is already created or find a way to compress a year of casting into weeks. So, buy/beg/borrow/steal. Reclaiming one from a town/ruin that has been overrun by baddies is effectively stealing it from them. I never assume that magic items are going to be available for purchase or trade, or at least not for what would be reasonable to pay for it. Your characters are fairly well connected, so some sort of barter/trade could be a possibility, but I wouldn't count on it. Offering your base as a sanctuary to some temple/guild that would otherwise have to abandon their own circle for whatever reason is about the best you could do; but again, don't count on it. Marketing your base & canal as a superior trade route might appeal to certain industrialists, you have a good idea there.

Removing the floor with the circle intact was implied with relocation. That'll be fun, but there are a number of available methods. (Bigby's Hand, Tenser's Disc, Telekinesis, Stonecutter's tools, etc.) JoeJ and Sigreid make very valid points about unwelcome surprises coming through during the removal, transport, or relocation. Isn't that part of the fun, though?

Crawford's tweets (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/941027827855409152) does state that the Teleportation Circle is not bound to a fixed location. So, Vogie's notion of utilizing it as a military deployment method is both viable and devious. (And an adventure just formed in my mind for future DMing...) You can reverse that strategy as well to forcibly teleport an opponent to a fixed location with no save. (Assuming they stick around for the 1 minute casting time for the 6 second window to open up.)

Isaire
2018-05-09, 11:22 AM
Does this come under the purview of Wish? Either to instantly create a teleportation circle, or to simulate the casting of teleportation circle at the location you desire even when you aren't there? Would suck to not have a 9th level slot for a year though.. Simulacrum idea likely to be easier really.

JoeJ
2018-05-09, 11:40 AM
Does this come under the purview of Wish? Either to instantly create a teleportation circle, or to simulate the casting of teleportation circle at the location you desire even when you aren't there? Would suck to not have a 9th level slot for a year though.. Simulacrum idea likely to be easier really.

A simulacrum doesn't recover spell slots, though, so it can't cast any spell 365 times unless it uses something external to itself, such as scrolls.