PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other A Weird Idea About BAB and Movement

Ignimortis
2018-05-15, 05:32 AM
This is something that I thought up rather quickly and it probably has holes like Swiss cheese, but I'd like other people's perspective and maybe some advice on this nonetheless.

What if bonus BAB gave you an extra standard action at the same time as the character would get a new iterative attack, but there was no full-attack, and spells would consume all of your standard actions available for the round (and wouldn't be castable unless you have a full turn's worth of standard actions)? I.e. high-BAB classes can do more with their time unless they try and use magic? Assume that most mechanics that would be closer to spellcasting (maneuvers, etc.) operate as spells too.

Composer99
2018-05-15, 07:09 AM
Based on the thread title, I'm assuming you meant to tie movement into this somehow?

Is this meant to allow regular movement on the same turn as iterative attacks? Possibly including moving in between them? If so, would it not be simpler to either allow "full attack" as a standard action (that is, attacking becomes something like the Attack action from 5e), or specify you can move normally as part of a full attack?

Taking spellcasting into account covers the most broken things you can do with multiple standard actions, but I feel like there's still too much opportunity for shenanigans.

Ignimortis
2018-05-15, 07:24 AM
Based on the thread title, I'm assuming you meant to tie movement into this somehow?

Is this meant to allow regular movement on the same turn as iterative attacks? Possibly including moving in between them? If so, would it not be simpler to either allow "full attack" as a standard action (that is, attacking becomes something like the Attack action from 5e), or specify you can move normally as part of a full attack?

Taking spellcasting into account covers the most broken things you can do with multiple standard actions, but I feel like there's still too much opportunity for shenanigans.

Yes, I've completely forgotten about tying movement into this. The idea was similar to moving while attacking with your full assortment of attacks, true, but with some difference that allows a character, for instance, move, open a door, and, say, attack behind a door if they still have a standard action left.

Composer99
2018-05-15, 10:10 AM
Ah, okay, I see. Yes, that makes sense.

Granting that I haven't played 3.5 in years, so I'm not terribly familiar with any feats, templates, or other options that could make most standard or move actions broken, I would say that as long as you carefully define which standard and move actions could benefit from this change in action economy, this should probably be fine.

Goaty14
2018-05-15, 10:29 AM
Just tell the players one of their iteratives can be turned into a move action?

nonsi
2018-05-15, 10:39 AM
I'd go for something simpler.

What if:
1. All iteratives could go into the same standard action?
2. Making an attack as a full-round-action would allow you to apply all iteratives while moving up to your speed and to take 5-foot steps in between attacks, as well as before and after.

This, of course, would eliminate the need for Mobility and the Spring Attack line, but melees are feat-starved as it is, so it'd be a great improvement.

Ignimortis
2018-05-16, 01:14 PM
Ah, okay, I see. Yes, that makes sense.

Granting that I haven't played 3.5 in years, so I'm not terribly familiar with any feats, templates, or other options that could make most standard or move actions broken, I would say that as long as you carefully define which standard and move actions could benefit from this change in action economy, this should probably be fine.

Yeah, I'll have to check a lot of stuff...

Just tell the players one of their iteratives can be turned into a move action?

An interesting idea, but should it require actually taking a full attack action?

I'd go for something simpler.

What if:
1. All iteratives could go into the same standard action?
2. Making an attack as a full-round-action would allow you to apply all iteratives while moving up to your speed and to take 5-foot steps in between attacks, as well as before and after.

This, of course, would eliminate the need for Mobility and the Spring Attack line, but melees are feat-starved as it is, so it'd be a great improvement.

I've already made full attack a standard action in my games. Right now I'm considering writing a 3.5 hack, which is why I'm wondering if there could be any other options to the full attack issue other than how 5e did it. Your suggestion seems nice, and I don't think even a 10-foot step would unbalance it. Thanks.

lightningcat
2018-05-16, 01:46 PM
One alternative rule I remember seeing somewhere was that standard iterative attacks used a standard action, allowing the character to move and still make his full number of attacks - this also included two-weapon fighting. Spring attack allowed the character to move and attack anywhere along that move - even different spot and targets with seperate attacks, instead of only at the begining or end. If the character took a full attack action, he got an additional attack at his full BAB, and reduced the penalty for the iterative attacks.