PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Building an Anti Magic Medallion

SodaQueen
2018-05-16, 11:19 PM
In one of my games, I have a player whose character is essentially Matrim Cauthon from the Wheel of Time series. And much like the Mat of the books, this Mat posses a Silver Foxhead Medallion (http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_foxhead_medallion), albeit one that is completely nonmagical at the moment.

The party just hit level 4 and the player and I have been talking about how to make a magic item reminiscent of the Foxhead Medallion from the books. The one in the WoT series is obviously ridiculously overpowered but I'm looking into creating a special magic item that levels up with the character, sort of like a Weapon of Legacy from 3.5.

So far, I'm thinking that the item will fill all three available attunement slots. I'm not worried about abuse from the player; he doesn't even like receiving magical healing and this will be his only magic item.

I'm considering giving it part of the Ring of Mind Shielding, Mantle of Spell Resistance, and a toned down version of the Absoption Ioun Stone.

So, right now, as of level 4:

While wearing the Foxhead Medallion you can use your reaction to cancel a spell of a level equal to half your character level minus one, or lower cast by a creature you can see and targeting only you. Once the medallion has cancelled a level of spells equal to half your character level, it loses its magic and you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

And at some point bring in:

While wearing the Foxhead Medallion you are immune to magic that allows other creatures to read your thoughts, determine whether you are lying, know your alignment, or know your creature type. Creatures can telepathically communicate with you only if you allow it.

And also:

You have advantage on saving throws against spells while you wear the Foxhead medallion.

I don't really know what levels to implement the other abilities or if the default ability is balanced or not. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Cluck_Morris
2018-05-20, 09:58 AM
Personally, I’d allow this item in it’s current set up. You ensured that while it’s useful, it’s not more powerful than other items players could have at this time. You’ve limited over reliance on the item while keeping it useful. Now it’s time to roll the dice

SodaQueen
2018-05-22, 11:18 AM
Personally, I’d allow this item in it’s current set up. You ensured that while it’s useful, it’s not more powerful than other items players could have at this time. You’ve limited over reliance on the item while keeping it useful. Now it’s time to roll the diceThank you! Do you have any opinions as to when the other two abilities should be introduced?

Yes_Thieves_Can
2018-05-22, 02:56 PM
I'd have the new abilities be discovered as the problems they deal with come up. It'll be a pleasant surprise and make the medallion seem mysterious and important.

SodaQueen
2018-05-23, 01:47 PM
I'd have the new abilities be discovered as the problems they deal with come up. It'll be a pleasant surprise and make the medallion seem mysterious and important.Ooo I like it!