PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #318 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2006-05-25, 04:25 AM
Later than I intended, but here it is.

KayJay
2006-05-25, 04:26 AM
wow, I was so early, the thread wasn't even up yet when I read the comic :)

Lauren
2006-05-25, 04:28 AM
Niiiiice punchline.

Nice setup for everything else as well, but niiiiiice punchline.

(omg Roy/Celia love love LURVE!)

Edit: Also, I never do first page squeeage, but I find the fact that my post is the second response very amusing considering that the last post I made before this was one about not even noticing when the comic was late due to the large difference in timezones between myself and the Giant.

;D

Broccoli
2006-05-25, 04:30 AM
Wow, although late, this was great. One of the best strips in a while. Keep up the good work!

Sylian
I wonder why Roy hided Celia, does he intend to take her with them?

Is this Oracle in book zero?

Altoid
Woohoo! First post on the first page :D

Nice comic :) Its great to see the new plotline starting to kick off...

Minty

The Giant
2006-05-25, 04:31 AM
Is this Oracle in book zero?

Only by reference. The action picks up after Roy and Durkon get back from their trip there with the knowledge of Xykon's location.

KayJay
2006-05-25, 04:33 AM
Hmm I'm a bit confused about why Roy would bother gathering everyone together if he hadn't managed to smuggle Celia out at this point yet ??? Feels like there was a strip missing where Roy was meant to be interrupted.

paul_brown_1973
2006-05-25, 04:34 AM
The little bump in the curtain that you don't notice until after the reveal was a particularly nice touch.

Shame that Haley and Elan clearly got nowhere after we left them, judging by her expression. Elan's expression is just his usual clueless smile, so that could mean anything.

Edit:

Edit: Also, I never do first page squeeage, but I find the fact that my post is the second response very amusing considering that the last post I made before this was one about not even noticing when the comic was late due to the large difference in timezones between myself and the Giant.

;D

Funny you should say that; it's 9:30 here which is my normal sort of time for checking (from my point of view the strips come out Tuesday and Thursday) and here I am with first page goodness.

Also: Exactly how many things did V leave explosive runes on and how many times is Belkar going to fall for it before he learns? Hopefully a very large number in both cases

Lauren
2006-05-25, 04:34 AM
Only by reference. The action picks up after Roy and Durkon get back from their trip there with the knowledge of Xykon's location.

I have got to get the books. I feel like I'm missing so much!

efi
2006-05-25, 04:35 AM
Second post - first page!

Good to finally see some movement going on. (Altough I also liked the last-days-of-the-year-strips.)

It's just to hope that Azure City is still existing when they return from the Oracle.

Castamir
2006-05-25, 04:36 AM
Well, considering how Celia appears, Roy must have a pretty decent CON score :P

dan4ster
OMG! Great comic! good on the innuendo

First Page! :D

Adder
Looks like Roy had a really nice date ;D

Alas, I sense a sad farewell soon...

Gary_Howard
2006-05-25, 04:37 AM
Niiiice.

Haley's still not smiling, though, so I definitely doubt there's resolution on that yet.. And it'll be Monday again before we know..

PhoeKun
2006-05-25, 04:37 AM
The best punchlines are implied. It's implied that Belkar just set off another explosive runes (which goes back to implying that his Wisdom is in the nether realms). It's implied that Roy and Celia just had a wild New Year's night. Likewise, it's implied that one or more members of the OotS walked in before Roy was quite ready for them.

What I'm implying here is that this was a strip that was worth accidentally staying up to read. ;)

Rokiyo
2006-05-25, 04:38 AM
I wonder why Roy hided Celia, does he intend to take her with them?Mummy and daddy just needed some alone time. To hug. Naked. In bed. Your bed.

But yeah, why does this comic give me that sense of impending doom and possible gloom?

KayJay
2006-05-25, 04:38 AM
I have got to get the books. I feel like I'm missing so much!
It wasn't a big reference, or anything that'll change much, but I agree, you should get the books, if only to support the comic :)

danb
2006-05-25, 04:40 AM
Hehe, I loved Celia's morning hair. :)

divine
2006-05-25, 04:40 AM
First page!
getting old! say something else at least sheesh :P

I wonder if Celia will come along to help..

endoperez
2006-05-25, 04:42 AM
This is perfect in so many levels! I also feel like one strip was left out from between this one and the last, but I prefer it this way.

Altoid
2006-05-25, 04:44 AM
Hmm I'm a bit confused about why Roy would bother gathering everyone together if he hadn't managed to smuggle Celia out at this point yet ??? Feels like there was a strip missing where Roy was meant to be interrupted.

Its probably safer call everyone in and send them off doing something than have them possibly wander in while trying to smuggle her out...

Its entirely possible that one or more of the party called by Roy's room whichput him in this situation... I agree though, could have been done as a comic. Think the problem is that there are limited panels available and I wouldn't want to drop any of the ones that are there :D

Minty

The Glyphstone
2006-05-25, 04:44 AM
Hehe....roy scores!

Nice comic, as usual.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-25, 04:45 AM
Huh!... I'm surprised to see Elan and Haley both back already.

Anyway, the irony of Roy's plan is just wonderful... I suppose it's pretty typical of his luck, though!

paul_brown_1973
2006-05-25, 04:46 AM
I wonder if Celia will come along to help..

I hope she does, because if they should run into the Linear Guild we could have a huge rant from Nale about how much effort he's put into the whole "evil opposites" thing just for them to get a new member...

Kriel
2006-05-25, 04:51 AM
I kinda figured V would have a few more "surprises" waiting for Belkar. I can only imagine what else V rigged with Explosive Runes.

Eldhrin
2006-05-25, 04:59 AM
Probably everything that looks like it might contain caffeine or healing potions. *snicker*

Brilliant!

Alfryd
2006-05-25, 05:02 AM
An interesting twist, as I had counted on the OotS' absence during Xykon's onslaught. I await the LG's intervention...

On reflection, how do the wings.... affect... um, coordination, in this instance?

Liquid
2006-05-25, 05:08 AM
woot! 2nd page :)

and a great comic to boot. :D

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 05:09 AM
Wasn't this like... their first date?

Seriously. ::)

Ah well... it was funny at least.

Antina
2006-05-25, 05:13 AM
Nice!!! ;D

3 panels wait...

Nice: Curtain-movement because of Celia behind

AND deranged dress woohoo ;) (at the neck)

Alfryd
2006-05-25, 05:15 AM
On further reflection, how did Celia fit the wings behidn the curtain? Are they retractable, or something?

Wasn't this like... their first date?
Well, Roy's party did more or less save her life, and Roy is recovering from a *really* soured relationship.

On further further reflection, what happens when Belkar turns up?

Mr._Obvious
2006-05-25, 05:15 AM
Way to go, Roy!

awesome!

Messenger
2006-05-25, 05:23 AM
Who's da man? Roy's da man! ;D

Honestly, why did he have to hide her? At least Durkon knows they were on that date, and there's nothing really wrong with them being together. :( It's nice to see Roy with someone.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-05-25, 05:39 AM
How lucky am I? I was just about to sign off for the night when this popped up. And I'm going to be on vacation for the next five days starting tomorrow!

This strip is a truly pleasant upswing. Finally, the plot seems to be HEADING somewhere. If the action stays dynamic, I like to imagine I'll go back to anticipating new strips again.

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 05:41 AM
On further reflection, how did Celia fit the wings behidn the curtain? Are they retractable, or something?

Well, Roy's party did more or less save her life, and Roy is recovering from a *really* soured relationship.
\

Don't you mean Celia's recovering from a really soured relationship? Eh whatever. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyways... we have a character on the rebound...
Right..

And thus they both put out on the first date.

Bah.

Alfryd
2006-05-25, 05:50 AM
Maybe I'm missing something.
Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=200) Yes, (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=250) you are. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=285)

But yes, I suppose Celia's breakup with her wood-slipping ex, and the fact she was responsible for Roy's legal defence, would also feed into the equation.

ekedolphin
2006-05-25, 05:53 AM
WOOOO! Roy and Celia made love last night! How sweet... here's to the happy couple! Hope Celia adventures with them and this wasn't just a one-night stand.

Gotta love V continuing to cast Explosive Runes on Belkar the rest of the morning. The horse first. V, a close second.

And the mention of the oracle was a nice "Origins" recall there, though in the prequel book we never actually got to see the Oracle, so...

Daniel_Q
2006-05-25, 05:56 AM
Ah, don't be such a stiff H-C :)
It wasn't such a surprise from the way they were the night before.

I find it rather sweet, since i doubt it's the end of it, and either way it promises some sort of drama in the future

CharedTheCinder
2006-05-25, 05:58 AM
WHOO HOOO!!!! GO ROY!!!!

Aedilred
2006-05-25, 06:02 AM
I feel somewhat obliged to point out that it's perfectly possible to spend the night with someone without anything more dodgy than that going on. And everyone knows that the dodginess of a situation is inversely proportional to how it looks to an uninformed observer.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see :)

Daniel_Q
I have noticed something,
The oracle mentioned in the book is referred to as female, while this comic refers to the oracle as male.

No idea weather this is a mistake or important, but since i read the book this morning i had to mention it

grimdirge
great comic. go roy!

Shalaina
2006-05-25, 06:08 AM
Woo well, seems Roy and Celia had an, erm, enjoyable time :D. I do agree that I was somewhat disappointed to not see more of Haley and Elan though.

koumdros
2006-05-25, 06:14 AM
woohoo
the ball is rolling again.

and celia with funky "bed hair"

hmm i wonder how the hell airsprites sleep with those big wings.

and how two air sprites procreate.. standing up? those winds must get into their way :p

seedanrun7
2006-05-25, 06:19 AM
Well, considering how Celia appears, Roy must have a pretty decent CON score :P

Actually its a little more complicated then that-- you start by making a roll on the seduction table with Charisma modifiers. Roy apparently was able to overcome that -5 for non-standard race penalty. Then you would cross reference that that with several rolls on the 'morning after' affects table modified by Roy's fortitude base. Obviously Celia got an 87 = 'Disheveled hair' as one of the results.

It's all outlined in version 3.6

:)

Don't you mean Celia's recovering from a really soured relationship? Eh whatever. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyways... we have a character on the rebound...
Right..

Oh yeah-- I tottaly forgot the +15 rebound bonus on any seduction roll!! With +15 on every roll last night-- no wonder Ceila looks like a reck!

TreesOfDeath
2006-05-25, 06:22 AM
You know, I'm kinda glad were heading back to the main plot, but how could you just skip the whole Haley Elan thing? SHouldn't it get something?

Grunjon
2006-05-25, 06:28 AM
Later than I intended, but here it is. Well worth the wait, Giant. This was great! I'm glad to see I was right, and Roy and Celia woke up together. ;)

Is this Oracle in book zero? Yes, for about 1 or 2 panels on page 53. Don't expect much there. And as someone pointed out, in book zero Roy and Durken say "she" (and imply that Roy maybe used his charms on a female to get the answers they needed), but here they say "he". ???

Feels like there was a strip missing where Roy was meant to be interrupted. Oh, that would have ruined the excellent punchline! ;D

The little bump in the curtain that you don't notice until after the reveal was a particularly nice touch. Yes. Perfection!

Shame that Haley and Elan clearly got nowhere after we left them, judging by her expression. Agreed, but on the other hand - as I said in the discussion for the previous comic - I think this will probably end up getting resolved down the line a little bit, in the heat of battle when Xykon attacks. I have to wonder if the Order will even make it out of Azure city to head to the Oracle by the time Xykon arrives. Or perhaps they get to the Oracle, who tells them to go back to Azure City and find Xykon there. Who knows? Not me, my brain's not Giant enough!

I have got to get the books. I feel like I'm missing so much! Every fan of OOTS should get them. I just got mine (it was quick, easy and painless, and they arrived in mint condition perfection) and enjoyed them. But I should warn you that there's no need to feel like you're "missing something" in them which connects to the online comics. Giant mentioned to me in one of these discussion threads right before I ordered my books that he always makes sure the webcomic tells you everything you need to know, so there's no need to depend on info you may be missing in the book. He was dead-on correct about that. So get the books and enjoy them...very much so! But don't expect to suddenly "see the light". It's just more, erm, GIANT fun! :)

Ronald_saveloy
2006-05-25, 06:29 AM
The desicion, which place to go to, is truely very important. Showing here!

Concerning Haley and Elan:
Have you noticed Haley's face in the first panel? I think, this allows some conclusion (which can be wrong anyway!)

Yorkiebar
2006-05-25, 06:33 AM
Awesome comic, and hooray for Roy and Celia!

However, the grammar in panel 3 seems completely wrong.

Shalaina
2006-05-25, 06:39 AM
However, the grammar in panel 3 seems completely wrong.

Hmm, help me out there... what's wrong with it?
It's an adverbial of reason + main clause + relative clause introduced by "that". Only thing that sounds a bit odd to me is the combination of the present participle "remaining" that already replaces a relative clause + the following relative clause. Is that what you mean? Cause tense etc. seems fine to me.

Yorkiebar
2006-05-25, 06:47 AM
Never mind, I just re-read it a few more times and got it. I was reading 'in' as the abbreviation of 'inside' rather than 'sealing something in'.

...If that makes any sense at all :P

DarkCorax
2006-05-25, 06:55 AM
Not an amazing comic but good.

Not quite sure why Roy needed to hide Celia but hey it makes a good catchline!

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:00 AM

You know, the weird thing is that it seems to have come right on the heels of the last one. Indeed I wasn't even expecting another comic yet. It didn't even seem like we'd finished discussing the last one!

I'm glad to see that V's vengeance continues. I got a kick out of Durkon's little side chuckle. Nice touch giving Celia pillow hair. I hope she didn't lose those blue hair sticks!

Where is their first visit to this oracle? I gather it predates the online strip.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-05-25, 07:08 AM
Lol'ed

Sc00by
2006-05-25, 07:09 AM
I'm a bit concerned that Haley doesn't appear to have a spot check that is worth a damn? (either that or She just rolled REALLY badly)

Looks like we're getting really ready to rock!

There has to be a tidying the Haley/Elan thing up strip and I envisage a nice rules joke strip based round buying reagents, maybe?

Oh and a shot of the crater that used to be Belkar ;)

So 3 more strips until some adventuring goodness?

Though, of course, I've been enjoying the downtime goodness too! ;)

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:11 AM
wow, I was so early, the thread wasn't even up yet when I read the comic :)
Oh man, not even a single first page woot? I'm so disappointed! :'(

The oracle mentioned in the book is referred to as female, while this comic refers to the oracle as male.

No idea weather this is a mistake or important, but since i read the book this morning i had to mention it
Interesting. The original Oracle (of Apollo) at Delphi in ancient Greece was typically referred to as a woman.

woohoo
the ball is rolling again.

and celia with funky "bed hair"

hmm i wonder how the hell airsprites sleep with those big wings.

and how two air sprites procreate.. standing up? those winds must get into their way :p
While flying, silly. ;)

Kanashimi
2006-05-25, 07:16 AM
hee hee, booty call! Good for Roy! Sounds like it's back to adventuring for our heroes! Got to love the post-coitus hair on Celia. Why she was still wearing her dress is a bit odd, but I guess Roy's shirt wouldn't fit over her wings.

Great lead up c omic. Wonder what the other think Belkar tripped was

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:18 AM
hee hee, booty call! Good for Roy! Sounds like it's back to adventuring for our heroes! Got to love the post-coitus hair on Celia. Why she was still wearing her dress is a bit odd, but I guess Roy's shirt wouldn't fit over her wings.

Great lead up c omic. Wonder what the other think Belkar tripped was
What's all this "congratulations Roy!" nonsense? How sexist of you all! It should be "congratulations Ceclia!" since she asked him out and, well, because of the trouser titan. ;)

P.S. What are those eggs in your signature line?

Delgarde
2006-05-25, 07:19 AM
Heh... looks like V has decided against a sublte revenge... much easier to just blow Belkar up at every possible opportunity. Well, whatever works, I guess... :)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-25, 07:20 AM
That was great. ;D

Shalaina
2006-05-25, 07:21 AM
I'm a bit concerned that Haley doesn't appear to have a spot check that is worth a damn? (either that or She just rolled REALLY badly)

Maybe she did notice and was just being discreet! Actually, I think she was so preoccupied with her feelings for Elan she totally forgot to roll :P.

And just because a lot of folks were wondering why Roy hid Celia behind the curtain - I bet he did cause he knew the entire party would spend the next, oh, 5 years of their life poking fun at him if they knew ;)
Oh wait, they're doing that anyway...

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:23 AM
Maybe she did notice and was just being discreet! Actually, I think she was so preoccupied with her feelings for Elan she totally forgot to roll :P.
Or she did roll, but had a -30 Preoccupation (Circumstance) penalty. ;)

Kanashimi
2006-05-25, 07:31 AM
What's all this "congratulations Roy!" nonsense? How sexist of you all! It should be "congratulations Ceclia!" since she asked him out and, well, because of the trouser titan. ;)

P.S. What are those eggs in your signature line?

Well, it's congratulations to Roy because if a woman asks a man out, there's NO guarantee she's wanting to be intimate with him. If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action. Roy was obviously sweet and charming enough to win her over. Remember, in a relationship, women control half the power and all the booty! ;) (Please detect both humor and a little sarchasm)

Oh, and the eggs are little neopets. I saw a bunch of people with them and thought they looked cute. We'll see what monstrosities they turn into.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:35 AM
Well, it's congratulations to Roy because if a woman asks a man out, there's NO guarantee she's wanting to be intimate with him. If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action. Roy was obviously sweet and charming enough to win her over. Remember, in a relationship, women control half the power and all the booty! ;) (Please detect both humor and a little sarchasm)

Bah! Sexist balderdash! Balderdash, I say! ;D

Oh, and the eggs are little neopets. I saw a bunch of people with them and thought they looked cute. We'll see what monstrosities they turn into.
Wow, cool!

Um, what's a neopuppet?

Zalathar
2006-05-25, 07:36 AM
Roy, score! /high five.

that was great, favorite joke... "giant scribble monster or whatever"

DonDiablo
2006-05-25, 07:37 AM
Long time lurker, First time poster.

I felt I could not remain silent any longer: The whole vasruvius and Belkar thing is just briliant. I love unsuspectec minor plot twists like that. Keep up the good work mr. Giant.

TroyXavier
2006-05-25, 07:39 AM
This wouldn't be my favorite comic(felt like a filler episode) but I really did like the ending. It did surprise me that Haley's spot check is so poor but I admit that with all that's probably going in her head that it might be. Then again, how would Roy know that? Well, I'm mostly just waiting for the big fight that's sure to be coming soon.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 07:48 AM
This wouldn't be my favorite comic(felt like a filler episode) but I really did like the ending. It did surprise me that Haley's spot check is so poor but I admit that with all that's probably going in her head that it might be. Then again, how would Roy know that? Well, I'm mostly just waiting for the big fight that's sure to be coming soon.

It struck me as filler too, but you can't eat a steady diet of meat. Sometimes you need a potato or two. ;)

Speaking of which, I ought to eat some breakfast before I pass out!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-25, 07:54 AM
Roy got Lucky! YES!!!!

KayJay
2006-05-25, 07:55 AM
Haley's spot might be poor, but her search might still be good, which is what's used for trap/treasure finding...

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-25, 07:59 AM
Heh, I liked it. Yay for Roy and Celia, who definitely deserve a little...ehem...happiness. The thought of Roy being able to give a leaderly speech while concealing his date is really amusing to me for some reason :p

And maybe the Oracle is like V?

Also:
-"the big scribble monster or whatever" Roy clearly doesn't care for this particularly MacGuffin.
-"...a gate at Neither, too??" Another possible "Anyplace/Somewhere Else/Nowhere" kingdom?
-Why don't they just get a teleport to the Sunken Valley as well? Because then it would ruin the dramatic potential re: finding out where Xykon really is, obviously.

Hyrael
2006-05-25, 08:02 AM
I normaly dont post just to say what a great comic it was, but this...

BRILLIANT

it has everything, a cunning plan worthy of Blackadder, tie-in with the previous strip, and for some reason, I had this strange flash of empathy with V when she ran off in a panic to get her stuff together.

plus, wonderful punchline. a fine example of how this sort of thing is best handled in D&D.

CatBoris
2006-05-25, 08:04 AM
Yes! Adventure!

But no one told me Roy had ranks in innuendo ;D

Varian7
2006-05-25, 08:10 AM
Good for both Roy and Celia! Seems like they both had a good time. I have to go back and reread Origins since I completely missed the oracle bit.

Overelemental
2006-05-25, 08:12 AM
The last panel was great :)

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 08:13 AM
Yes! Adventure!

But no one told me Roy had ranks in innuendo ;D
The authors of 3.5 folded Innuendo into another skill, but since I haven't taken too many ranks in Knowledge (The Skills) I forget which one. ;)

Solmage
2006-05-25, 08:13 AM
Heh, go V! 8)

And OMG Celia looks she had way too much fun.. (or accidentally slept inside a wash mashine set on spin)

I also completely failed my spot check on that bump in the courtains, heh.

It did surprise me that Haley's spot check is so poor...
She may have a good Search check, but she has abysmal spot check (for a rogue) http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3. Only belkar's (0 ranks) is worse http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=119 :)

Edit: to add the bit about checks.

Corestimah
2006-05-25, 08:14 AM
I was wondering whether Roy & Celia would "Spend the night"...
;D Love it. ;D

EDIT:

The authors of 3.5 folded Innuendo into another skill, but since I haven't taken too many ranks in Knowledge (The Skills) I forget which one. ;)

That would be Bluff for sending messages and Sense Motive for interpreting them.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 08:15 AM
Heh, go V! 8)

And OMG Celia looks she had way too much fun.. (or accidentally slept inside a wash mashine set on spin)

I also completely failed my spot check on that bump in the courtains, heh.
Bump, what bump? (Looks in vain for ranks in Spot.)

LoH
2006-05-25, 08:22 AM
But yeah, why does this comic give me that sense of impending doom and possible gloom?

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=300 <-- perhaps this is a good reason why?

Simply put, we know the other shoe's about to drop--just a matter of time--and Xykon waits for nobody.

And as for Haley... we only see her partially in the first panel, with Elan, V, and Durkon standing in front of her (and she's not happy), so I'm guessing that Celia's really hard to spot with all that interference (as well as Roy shielding the curtain with his own body and then calling attention down upon himself). It's likely she bombed her spot check. Or... she made it, declined to comment, and started drifting away from Roy and basically booked as soon as she could.

Also as Celia mentions the previous day that "since [they're] both leaving tomorrow morning," I suspect that she will not be joining the Order.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=308

Charity322
2006-05-25, 08:23 AM
I have this terrible image of there being explosives runes somehow in the coffee and now in Belkar's stomach. :o

avalon_redmoon
2006-05-25, 08:25 AM
WOOO!!! Yay for Celia! You go, girl! Oh, and go Roy! ('Cause, you know, it takes two to tango...yeah, right..."tango"...) LMAO!

Well, at any rate, it's about time! Know what I mean? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more ;)

Zargon
2006-05-25, 08:26 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3
"Um... we're like right here."
Lousy spot checks indeed!

Roy/CeliaFirst date yes, but they have known each other for quite a while (including a hug) so not really the same as what most consider a first date.

Origins was quite clear that the Oracle was female.
[Origins spoiler]Tha oracle was most helpful when ye prodded her properly ... heh heh - was pretty clear that Roy got some![/color][Origins spoler]

tee_kay_one
2006-05-25, 08:26 AM
woah, that's a hell of a plan, roy. He's not only leading the OotS, he's doing is with uncanny efficiency... ;D

Also nice: celia with her hair all messed up. seems it was a stormy night. tsts...

Akjara
2006-05-25, 08:32 AM
About Haleys Spot Check:
The funny thing is: Even if she made it and seen Celia, she can't tell anyone. *g*

I guess they're not teleporting to the Valley with the oracle because it's only a few days away instead of a few weeks like the two gate locations.

And nice comic. A good balance between plot advancement and jokes. :)

"big scribble monster" Hehe.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 08:40 AM
I was wondering whether Roy & Celia would "Spend the night"...
;D Love it. ;D

EDIT:

That would be Bluff for sending messages and Sense Motive for interpreting them.
Thanks. I thought it was something like that. I even looked at the 3.5 description of the Bluff skill, but I guess I missed my Spot check. ;)

Durin
2006-05-25, 08:40 AM
excellent I was hoping Durkon wouldn't be the onley one to get some in this comic.

TAKE THAT MIKO!!!

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 08:42 AM
About Haleys Spot Check:
The funny thing is: Even if she made it and seen Celia, she can't tell anyone. *g*

I guess they're not teleporting to the Valley with the oracle because it's only a few days away instead of a few weeks like the two gate locations.

And nice comic. A good balance between plot advancement and jokes. :)

"big scribble monster" Hehe.

From what Roy said about mooching a scroll of teleport from the Shojo, it sounds like V doesn't have the teleport spell himself.

Akjara
2006-05-25, 08:55 AM
From what Roy said about mooching a scroll of teleport from the Shojo, it sounds like V doesn't have the teleport spell himself.
Yes, but it would be easier to mooching a scroll of for a place far away than one for only a few days travel. :)

Farseer_George
2006-05-25, 08:58 AM
Resolve Haley and Elan, resolve it now!

The coded messages were a fun gimmick to begin with but they ceased to be that a long time ago. I don't appreciate having to decode the dialog in a comic strip and I am not wasting time doing it in order to get a joke which will -more often than not- not be all that funny anyway.

I know there are many out there who claim that they enjoy the cryptograms but these tend to be the same people that claim to fall of their chair laughing after every strip. As these people obviously have no sense of proportion then their opinions don't count.

On a positive note I thought the comic strip was mildly amusing (it wasn't funny but I don't suppose they all have to be) and I thoroughly support Roy having sex with the blue, winged chick.

Afterthought: If the cryptograms are going to be incoporated into the comic Rich could just add a decoded script at the bottem of the comic. Alternatively, if he had the technical know-how, he could include a flash animation in the comic that reverted the text to english when you moved the mouse over the speach bubble.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 09:02 AM
Yes, but it would be easier to mooching a scroll of for a place far away than one for only a few days travel. :)

If you mean that they should save the mooching for when it really matters--as in travelling thousands of miles rather than a couple of hundred--then I agree. :)

Akjara
2006-05-25, 09:04 AM
If you mean that they should save the mooching for when it really matters--as in travelling thousands of miles rather than a couple of hundred--then I agree. :)
Jep, that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clearer, English isn't my first language. :-[

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 09:05 AM
I know there are many out there who claim that they enjoy the cryptograms but these tend to be the same people that claim to fall of their chair laughing after every strip. As these people obviously have no sense of proportion then their opinions don't count.

There's no need to insult the people who do like cyrtograms to make the point that you don't like them. I don't like them either. And in any case the people who keep falling out of their chairs laughing are too busy getting back up to decrypt the cryptograms. ;)

Once while DMing my current group I did laugh so hard at something that I fell over backwards in my chair, sheering off the bolts that held the left armrest to the chair!

Brother_Hood
2006-05-25, 09:18 AM
I feel somewhat obliged to point out that it's perfectly possible to spend the night with someone without anything more dodgy than that going on. And everyone knows that the dodginess of a situation is inversely proportional to how it looks to an uninformed observer.

Truer words have never been said.

We can hope, however :)

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 09:21 AM
Jep, that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clearer, English isn't my first language. :-[
No apology necessary. I'm sure it's tough to translate from goblinoid to English. ;)

Nonetheless, it's nice to see :)

What's dodgy about them spending the night together? After all, they're two consenting adult creature types. ;)

Kanashimi
2006-05-25, 09:39 AM
What's dodgy about them spending the night together? After all, they're two consenting adult creature types. ;)

Seconded. What consenting adults do behind closed doors is their business, so long as they don't hurt anyone or intentially pass communicable diseases.

And the tousled bed-head look definately works for Celia!

Ing
2006-05-25, 09:41 AM

Clearly this means that the oracle is V's husbawife!!!!!!

great joke with the explosive runes i can just imagine the posibilities

*Ooooh my head, need asprin. lets see, eye drops, yeast cream? ew...peptobismal, explosive rune brand iboprophen?....ah goddamn it!*

charik
2006-05-25, 09:42 AM
And in any case the people who keep falling out of their chairs laughing are too busy getting back up to decrypt the cryptograms. ;)
Decrypting is what adventurers do when they hunt liches and mummies ;), cryptograms get deciphered.

I have to say I found the last joke less funny than the first: "Based on the proximity of that explosion..." ;D V's revenge is obviously carefully planned, I just wonder how many explosions it will take before Belkar learns to read nothing.

Deuce
2006-05-25, 09:54 AM
Clearly this means that the oracle is V's husbawife!!!!!!

Or at least some sort of Elf.

Keebler_the_Elf
2006-05-25, 10:00 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Haley is only in the first panel, even though she should be seen behind Elan. I know that not until the last panel is it obvious, but I think The Giant left her out on purpose.

Master_Kindel
2006-05-25, 10:06 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Haley is only in the first panel, even though she should be seen behind Elan. I know that not until the last panel is it obvious, but I think The Giant left her out on purpose.

perhaps she has levels in shadowdancer and can hide in plain sight;) jk

Keebler_the_Elf
2006-05-25, 10:12 AM
perhaps she has levels in shadowdancer and can hide in plain sight;) jk

I am just worried she ran off after seeing Elan again this morning, and is getting into trouble. Look at her face, she is still upset. Roy is the only one looking that way for most of the comic, and he could be distracted about hiding Celia. She is a rogue, she can sneak.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 10:17 AM

I noticed that she didn't appear beyond the first panel, but didn't think anything of it.

Decrypting is what adventurers do when they hunt liches and mummies ;), cryptograms get deciphered.
Humorous, but mistaken:

de·crypt vt
render an encoded text or message into plain language. See decode v. 1 See decode v. 2

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

bosssmiley
2006-05-25, 10:24 AM
Plot advancement, halflings taking an explosive runes to the face and a very dishevelled Celia. Again, this comic had everything. ;D

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-25, 10:50 AM
Protection spell much?

Okay, let's get this show on the road!!!

Xenon
2006-05-25, 10:56 AM
see, this is why you want to have a decent spot check. so you can point and laugh more often :)

Seerow
2006-05-25, 11:10 AM
"I TOLD you we should have used my place"

That really was what got it for me. Not the fact that he was hiding her, or the explosive runes, or really anything else. I read that part and couldn't help cracking up.

It's the first time I've seriously laughed at this strip in months.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 11:21 AM
"I TOLD you we should have used my place"

That really was what got it for me. Not the fact that he was hiding her, or the explosive runes, or really anything else. I read that part and couldn't help cracking up.

It's the first time I've seriously laughed at this strip in months.
You really didn't laugh when Belkar kissed V?! That one actually had me laughing out loud!

Zann
2006-05-25, 11:32 AM
SEVE- uh FIVE!

Thats what made me laugh last time.

I should have noticed that slight bulge in the curtains... ;)

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 11:42 AM
SEVE- uh FIVE!

Thats what made me laugh last time.

I should have noticed that slight bulge in the curtains... ;)
What made you laugh--Beklar kissing V?

Pvednes
2006-05-25, 11:50 AM
Woo! Go Roy!

Sabishii_Kouen
2006-05-25, 11:55 AM
Roy sure looks awake and must have gotten dressed quickly considering what he was doing last night.

Good job Giant, another excellent comic!

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-25, 11:59 AM
[Studio Audience]Woooooooooo![/Studio Audience]

Suki_the_Pure
2006-05-25, 12:06 PM
*snicker* Lucky for Roy he's bald and heavy armor doesn't wrinkle.

Can't say the same for silky dresses, unfortunatly.

Overlord Jack Chainer
2006-05-25, 12:18 PM
YO good job roy you lucky man you and poor elan and others there spot checks are very poor indeed lol

tee_kay_one
2006-05-25, 12:24 PM
so, where did V hide the explosive runes this time? Who dares to guess?

My guess: after being blown up with the coffee Belkar decided to take a nice cold shower. So he went in, all naked and as the halfling-god created him and then he touched that water tap... BOOOOOOM!

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 12:30 PM
so, where did V hide the explosive runes this time? Who dares to guess?

My guess: after being blown up with the coffee Belkar decided to take a nice cold shower. So he went in, all naked and as the halfling-god created him and then he touched that water tap... BOOOOOOM!
Remember that it takes reading the runes to set them off.

Genome
2006-05-25, 12:36 PM
This comic warrants an "I scored with an outsider" t-shirt, with Roy and Celia on it. ;D

She is technically an outsider, right? I'm not too familiar with creature types.

silvadel
2006-05-25, 12:37 PM
I think Roy got a bonus for being a woman for a while recently also...

Celia seems to be a nice elemental also.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 12:41 PM
This comic warrants an "I scored with an outsider" t-shirt, with Roy and Celia on it. ;D

She is technically an outsider, right? I'm not too familiar with creature types.
My guess is that she's a fey rather than an outsider or elemental.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-05-25, 12:44 PM
Cute comic. Not really funny, but cute. ;D

petya
2006-05-25, 12:50 PM
And just because a lot of folks were wondering why Roy hid Celia behind the curtain - I bet he did cause he knew the entire party would spend the next, oh, 5 years of their life poking fun at him if they knew

Er...this is a PG-13 comic. I'd suggest that if this weren't, Celia might not be wearing so much. Or maybe our big bad fighter is just shy ;-)

--LWM

ps - Glad to see V's revenge continues - I was gonna be bummed with 1 set of explosive runes...but it seems I was hasty in my judgement!

Eriol
2006-05-25, 12:50 PM
As others have mentioned, the changing gender of the Oracle is what's most strange about this comic. Heck, in Origins, Roy even made an allusion to sweet-talking (at the least, if not more, *wink*wink*) the oracle herself!

So, ret-conning going to be happening, or is this comic going to be fixed? Personally, I'd rather have this comic fixed, as a "past romantic" between Roy and the Oracle, then her finding out about Celia, etc, could be a GREAT dimension to the comic.

And I hate ret-conning with a vengeance. In ALL circumstances. >:( (for the record, Han shot first)

Genome
2006-05-25, 12:58 PM

Now that I think about it, that's more likely.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 01:01 PM
Now that I think about it, that's more likely.
:)

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-05-25, 01:09 PM
BOW-CHICKA-BOW-WOW

Did somebody call for a really hairy plumber? Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

I came here to lay some pipe! Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

So I hear you got sisters... Bow-chicka.. Who are twins! Bow-wow!

Hey, are you a model or famous actress? Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

So, Celia is an elemental, right? That is her creature type, or whatever? Where in the monster manual does it list her, anyway?

**Snicker** I guess this means that she's Roy's type...

**Snicker** I wonder if Roy used a pretty light for foreplay... (Ooh, shiny...)

**Snicker** What kind of protection spell indeed! I think it would be a protection scroll...

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2005-09-10

Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Beelzebub1111
2006-05-25, 01:09 PM
bow chicka bow wow!

Edit: Ironic Simu-post

ed
2006-05-25, 01:10 PM
i thought it was decent. of course, part of the problem for me is that giant set the bar pretty high right out of the gate.

i didn't notice the bump in the curtains or bedhead until afterwards, though.

i really hope this haley thing is resolved soon. i don't think the cryptograms are particularly entertaining so i find their continued use mildly annoying.

ed

Elurindel
2006-05-25, 01:10 PM
haha! Great comic! Not only are the OOTS finally on their way, but Roy got some hot, extraplanar lovin'!
Well, I guess we can put to rest the thoery that Celia was really Sabine in disguise.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-25, 01:11 PM
Remember that it takes reading the runes to set them off.

well, my imagination went wild... maybe there was something written on the water tap... like "cold" and "hot"... would that suffice to bbq a naked halfling with ER's?

theKOT
2006-05-25, 01:12 PM
How very boring. No really, the punchline was week, the exposition was dry and the little jokes that were mixed in were dull. Oh well, maybe it will get better soon.

CelestialStick
haha! Great comic! Not only are the OOTS finally on their way, but Roy got some hot, extraplanar lovin'!
Well, I guess we can put to rest the thoery that Celia was really Sabine in disguise.
Fey are native to the Material Plane.

A_Gray_Phantom
bow chicka bow wow!

Edit: Ironic Simu-post
It isn't ironic, just coincidental ;).

Beelzebub1111
2006-05-25, 01:14 PM
It isn't ironic, just coincidental ;).
Okay okay. While the situation is not ironic, it is somthing that which deviates from our normal situation. Agreed?

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 01:22 PM
well, my imagination went wild... maybe there was something written on the water tap... like "cold" and "hot"... would that suffice to bbq a naked halfling with ER's?
As long as he reads the tap. ;)

Morchaint
2006-05-25, 01:30 PM
Thats a stupendous comic as usual.

another BOOM ;D

Spot check comment very funny.

Celia in the curtains ROTFLMAO

...sigh.. I guess page 10 is what you get when you
sleep in accidentally.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-05-25, 01:34 PM

Well, according to Celia herself, she's a paraelemental

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=268

TheWanderingLlama
2006-05-25, 01:39 PM
If I had stayed up a half an hour later, I could've potentially gotten first page. Oh well...

Gaaaah! No Haley/Elan resolution! Is she still going to be speaking gibbereish when they go to see the oracle? Other than that, very cute comic. Was worth several smiles.

ed
2006-05-25, 01:46 PM
i'm becoming increasingly frustrated w/ the dramatic plateau re: haley's speech. please for the love of pete, either have it wax or wane!

ed

Solmage
2006-05-25, 01:48 PM
Humorous, but mistaken:

de·crypt vt
render an encoded text or message into plain language. See decode v. 1 See decode v. 2

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Hmm, that's almost a good reason to assume the definition is buggy ;D .

Anyway, the words decipher, decrypt and decode can be used synonymously. Nontheless, this knowledge won't prevent from using this new meaning of de-crypt in a campaign : "Let's go de-crypt the countyside!" :D

Krytha
2006-05-25, 01:49 PM
hahahahaahhahaha!! good thing they didn't find Celia or it would've been curtains for her!

Inverno
2006-05-25, 02:00 PM
I failed my spot check too, didn't notice anything askew until she comes out. >:(

saraswati
2006-05-25, 02:03 PM
Yay, V's revenge continues! Hopefully much slapstick will ensue. Personally I'm looking forward to off-camera explosions, Belkar running around with a blindfold on to prevent reading anything, and hopefully a sneak attack of crushing despair.

I like that Haley wasn't seen much in this one, just enough to establish that she is there and not happy. Otherwise I think she would have been kind of distracting. Either every all the characters notice her and that interrupts the rest of the plot, or no one notices her and the reader is stuck wondering why no one is asking Haley what is wrong. It's just kind of convenient to have her out of the frame.

I like Roy's plan, but sometimes getting exposition to sound interesting is tough. It feels artificial here, and it kind of always does when someone has to explain everything.

On a more interesting note, am I the only one with this [spoiler-rific] theory about this Sunken Valley of the Oracle? Spoiler hidden [ That the "Sunken Valley" is actually the evil-gasm inducing valley of a thousand orcs? Who are now all gathered together waiting to invade?]

Just me and my crazy theories, huh?

The Glitter Ninja
2006-05-25, 02:36 PM
Well, let's get this out of the way: Woohoo Roy!

That said, I'm anticipating that Belkar will endure many more booms, and that makes me smile.

I notice we barely see Haley in this strip. I'm dying for that to get resolved -- what was she about to tell Elan? Why does she think she's not good enough for him? Gah.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-05-25, 02:45 PM
Well, let's get this out of the way: Woohoo Roy!

That said, I'm anticipating that Belkar will endure many more booms, and that makes me smile.

I notice we barely see Haley in this strip. I'm dying for that to get resolved -- what was she about to tell Elan? Why does she think she's not good enough for him? Gah.

No it's spelled Gaaaah!, see?

Gaaaah!

Gregor_LeBlaque
2006-05-25, 02:54 PM
i really hope this haley thing is resolved soon. i don't think the cryptograms are particularly entertaining so i find their continued use mildly annoying.
I'm not responding specifically to this particular poster, but to everyone who has complained about the cryptograms in the main comic thread in the past 3 weeks.

People, as of now, Haley has spoken exactly three encrypted words in the past MONTH, and those three were so obvious I didn't need to go to the What Haley Said thread to figure out what they were. The last strip with lots of encrypted speech was 309, posted April 24th. A MONTH.

Can we please give the "I don't like cryptograms" posts a rest for a while? Like, oh, I dunno, until she actually says something encrypted in a strip??!

Thank you.

P.S. As sure as I post this, she'll give a ten-panel encrypted monologue next strip and the Strip 319 thread will be nothing BUT "I don't like cryptograms" posts, but at least I tried. :'(

Felinoid
2006-05-25, 03:45 PM
Hehe, the speculation on the latest explosion(s) made me laugh more than the comic itself (kinda blah, but a neccessary step in the plot). Like this:

*Ooooh my head, need asprin. lets see, eye drops, yeast cream? ew...peptobismal, explosive rune brand iboprophen?....ah goddamn it!*
and this:

Eh, just goes to show how much I like torturing fellow players. ;)

EDIT: And unless my count is off, we'll see the resolution to Haley's speech in the next comic.
/me jumps up and down

ed
2006-05-25, 03:45 PM
your tolerance for it and the tolerance for it of others are obviously not on the same setting, gregor.

[shrugs]

ed

armatil
2006-05-25, 03:56 PM
hm, i feel like something's missing. something should've happened between elan&haley by now.

also: worst. punchline. evar.
well... maybe not exactly that bad, but it makes me go all "oh, come on." then again i'm this quirky person, annoyed by the typical way roy&celia "hit it off" (exactly that phrase), so that's not much of a surprise.
the elan&haley situation on the other hand makes me feel warm and fuzzy... and that's because of the fact that it's in all senses cuter, and the way i see it, more real. it just has me itching to see this whole gridlock resolved. that's what i'm waiting to see happen more than anything else.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 03:59 PM
Well, according to Celia herself, she's a paraelemental

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=268
Bah. That was just a play on 'paralegal.' I'm sure she's really a fey. ;D

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 04:03 PM
Hmm, that's almost a good reason to assume the definition is buggy ;D .

Gotcha! ;D

Anyway, the words decipher, decrypt and decode can be used synonymously. Nontheless, this knowledge won't prevent from using this new meaning of de-crypt in a campaign : "Let's go de-crypt the countyside!" :D

I'm thinking it'd be easier to decrypt the masoleum than the countryside. ;)

hahahahaahhahaha!! good thing they didn't find Celia or it would've been curtains for her!

Heh. Clever. Now go help Solmage decrypt the masoleum. ;)

Gregor_LeBlaque
2006-05-25, 04:26 PM
your tolerance for it and the tolerance for it of others are obviously not on the same setting, gregor.

My point really didn't have much to do with anyone's tolerance level. In a thread called "Cryptograms, love 'em or hate 'em? (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148588443 ;start=0#0)" people could discuss whether or not they like cryptograms until 2010 and I wouldn't make a peep. But in the thread about strip 318 (not to mention 317, 315, 314, 313, 312, 311, and 310), a strip in which there is not a single encrypted word, I don't see the point in even bringing it up.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 04:43 PM
My point really didn't have much to do with anyone's tolerance level. In a thread called "Cryptograms, love 'em or hate 'em? (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148588443 ;start=0#0)" people could discuss whether or not they like cryptograms until 2010 and I wouldn't make a peep. But in the thread about strip 318 (not to mention 317, 315, 314, 313, 312, 311, and 310), a strip in which there is not a single encrypted word, I don't see the point in even bringing it up.

If you're referring to the following comments, I would point out that he was disappointed by not finally having a resolution of her speech problem. He didn't say a thing about the current strip containing a cryptogram.

i'm becoming increasingly frustrated w/ the dramatic plateau re: haley's speech. please for the love of pete, either have it wax or wane!

ed

Melnor
2006-05-25, 04:59 PM
Wow, Roy is the last one that I thought would be getting action....did I mention he's my new personal hero? ;D
I was going to ask why Roy's hair is fine but his lover's is messed up when I realized.....Roy doesn't have any hair!

ed
2006-05-25, 05:03 PM
thank you, celestial stick: that was precisely my concern.

ed

Hithrome
2006-05-25, 05:37 PM
Good strip.

Some thoughtworthy pieces:

Definitely liked Celia's bed-hair and her shoulder strap having fallen off her shoulder. The subtext being that they agreed to rendezvous at Roy's room at a given time and Roy and Celia overslept. Nice.

On Celia joining the party: Hook me up with that. It'd be great to see her around all the time. Plus that means that we finally have a good excuse to get rid of Belkar, the bane of the Order of the Stick both as a group and as a comic.

Death to the scribble monster!

BlythraB
2006-05-25, 05:39 PM
If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action.
not usually I hope.

] hope she does, because if they should run into the Linear Guild we could have a huge rant from Nale about how much effort he's put into the whole "evil opposites" thing just for them to get a new member...[/Spoiler]
I like it!

Also as Celia mentions the previous day that "since [they're] both leaving tomorrow morning," I suspect that she will not be joining the Order.
That was before today's strip. I'm still betting, now more than ever, that Celia gets pregnant.

Shea Landford
2006-05-25, 05:42 PM
Very good comic. I wonder what the explosion in this one was, unless V left another hidden explosive runes waiting for Belkar. And all I can say is, way to go Roy. ;)

theKOT
2006-05-25, 05:51 PM
Oh, I sure hope Celia doesn't join the party. She isn't very interesting at all, and her main role is Roy's lover. It typically hurts stories if someone whose only role is romantic interest becomes part of the ongoing story.

Magnus_Samma
2006-05-25, 06:30 PM
Woohoo! Go Roy!

I love the way V is handling Belkar. Revenge is a dish best served with explosive magic script. :D

Ronald_saveloy
2006-05-25, 06:37 PM
Definitely liked Celia's bed-hair and her shoulder strap having fallen off her shoulder. The subtext being that they agreed to rendezvous at Roy's room at a given time and Roy and Celia overslept. Nice.

Well, I rather imagine this scenario:
Roy and Celia spend the night together in Roy's room. The morning, the rest of the gang heads to Roy's room, probably ringing Roy and Celia out of bed. Both are taken completely by surprise, get quick in some clothes and Celia hides behind the curtain (Hehe - sounds a bit like this classic lover-being-caught-red-handed-thingy). This would perfectly explain the condition of Celias hair and dress. I can hardly imagine, that she would wear her evening gown, while being in bed with Roy.

Winged One
2006-05-25, 07:15 PM
I know I should have been expecting the last panel, but somehow I wasn't. ;D

Evik
2006-05-25, 07:24 PM
HA HA HA
Thats just awesome.
I failed my spot check too lol
Celia looks like she had an energetic night....good thing Roy doesent have hair huh.
and yes Belkar is still paying for his drunken revelry.
Great comic! good to know things will be on the up-swing now :) cant wait

Thortok2000
2006-05-25, 07:39 PM
I like her bed hair in the last comic, it's actually kinda attractive.

5tephen
2006-05-25, 07:43 PM
Rock on!

(More fodder -or confirmation for- this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1144628756 ) slightly analy retentive thread)

But more than anything, VERY FUNNY.

I LOVE the Celia's-bum shaped lump in the curtain in the first panel. It must be said, that one of the funniest ongoing joke themes in OOTS is the 'Spot Check' one.

allxmyxsins
2006-05-25, 08:10 PM
nice touch with the sex hair.

woot to be on the 12 page. no one ever gets credit for jumping on the band wagon.

Hithrome
2006-05-25, 08:44 PM
Funny story regarding readin explosive runes:

In an RPGA scenario, we had discovered that a powerful wizard was the culprit and were storming his tower to take him down. We found the outer door unlocked and went in. The inner door had explosive runes etched on it.

Unfortunately it was my 9th level Barbarian who was in front. So the GM said, "There's something written on the door." So I said. "That's nice, 'Hey other people, there are words on this door,' then I open it."

The GM cackled his little laugh and said "Bwa ha! The explosive runes go off."

"How?" I replied, "I have nothing but barbarian levels, I couldn't read it even if I wanted to."

One quick perusal through the rules led to the discovery that yes, explosive runes must be read. And since barbarians are very specifically illiterate unless they spend points or take other classes, the ruling was that the runes didn't go off.

The GM handled it well though. We totally caught the Wizard off guard. "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a PC shattering kaboom!" Without his big trap to soften us up, we cleaned his clock pretty thoroughly.

The lesson here: READING IS BAD FOR YOU. :-P

Amotis
2006-05-25, 08:45 PM
Hehe, cute and sexy.
Nice comic, The Giant.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-05-25, 09:12 PM
Funny story regarding readin explosive runes:

In an RPGA scenario, we had discovered that a powerful wizard was the culprit and were storming his tower to take him down. We found the outer door unlocked and went in. The inner door had explosive runes etched on it.

Unfortunately it was my 9th level Barbarian who was in front. So the GM said, "There's something written on the door." So I said. "That's nice, 'Hey other people, there are words on this door,' then I open it."

The GM cackled his little laugh and said "Bwa ha! The explosive runes go off."

"How?" I replied, "I have nothing but barbarian levels, I couldn't read it even if I wanted to."

One quick perusal through the rules led to the discovery that yes, explosive runes must be read. And since barbarians are very specifically illiterate unless they spend points or take other classes, the ruling was that the runes didn't go off.

The GM handled it well though. We totally caught the Wizard off guard. "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a PC shattering kaboom!" Without his big trap to soften us up, we cleaned his clock pretty thoroughly.

The lesson here: READING IS BAD FOR YOU. :-P

That's hilarious!

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 10:49 PM
Why is it that in comic form, everybody seems perfectly happy with how things turn out.

I'm sure if it was in life I wouldn't be the only one bringing up the fact that it was only their first date. :/

Bilbo27
2006-05-25, 10:51 PM
Roy and Celia sitting in a tree-----and now this, love it.

Here comes Xykon Whoohoooo!!!

Thray
2006-05-25, 10:52 PM
Why is it that in comic form, everybody seems perfectly happy with how things turn out.

I'm sure if it was in life I wouldn't be the only one bringing up the fact that it was only their first date. :/

Tolerance? Even in real life, it's not uncommon, especially among people who have known each other for quite a while.

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:52 PM

But not their first time meeting. And they really clicked. But what do I know. ::)

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 10:54 PM
How does meeting TWICE before qualify as having known eachother quite a while, pray tell?

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:57 PM
How does meeting TWICE before qualify as having known eachother quite a while, pray tell?

They were serious situations, I think. Involves more emotion then just running in to each other at the mall.

Thray
2006-05-25, 10:58 PM
Because, at least in real time (and I assumed in comic time) quite a bit of time had passed. And again, this sort of stuff is not uncommon on the first meeting irl, and especially not on the second. That's probably why most people aren't that disturbed about it-things like "one night stands" are so common that this certainly seems tame in comparison.

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:59 PM
Because, at least in real time (and I assumed in comic time) quite a bit of time had passed. And again, this sort of stuff is not uncommon on the first meeting irl, and especially not on the second. That's probably why most people aren't that disturbed about it-things like "one night stands" are so common that this certainly seems tame in comparison.

Indeed. Sad but true. I've seen far too many "friends with benefits" and casual sex so I'm acutally glad these characters have feelings for each other. :D

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 11:05 PM
Honestly I couldn't care less, generally...

But that's probably one reason that I'm mildly disturbed. They could have some kind of deep connection going and their being all "Woo! Wild Fling!" with responses of "Go Roy! You da man!"

Hoi vei...

Thray
2006-05-25, 11:09 PM
Honestly I couldn't care less, generally...

But that's probably one reason that I'm mildly disturbed. They could have some kind of deep connection going and their being all "Woo! Wild Fling!" with responses of "Go Roy! You da man!"

Hoi vei...
How does sleeping together immediately stop that? I know of couples that started with quick hook-ups/FWB and lasted several years (in particular, one has lasted for 14 years, and the members are married to each other).

Amotis
2006-05-25, 11:09 PM
Nah, I think that's cause they're lusting after Celia, not downing the relationship. I've honestly never seen a relationship ruined by early sex, no matter what the health teacher says. Though if they break up I'm going to your side.

Thray
2006-05-25, 11:10 PM
[spoiler/prediction/joke]

What would be funnier is if Roy got some sort of strange magical STD from it all. Something that makes his wings sprout warts, perhaps :P
[/prediction/joke]

High-Chancellor
2006-05-25, 11:15 PM
Thray: don't assume more out of what I'm saying that I actually said. It could very well work out for them, and if it does kudos to all.

Indeed, yay Roy and Celia.

But really... putting out on the first date... *old school marm tsk tsk tsking*

Hehheh... it would be awesome to see Roy try to explain where he got his warty wings from though...

Thray
2006-05-25, 11:19 PM
Tsk, I completely misread what you said on that last post. Sorry.

"Oh, warts just run in my family...they're not contagious, really!"

TinSoldier
2006-05-26, 12:16 AM
FWB, Friends With Benefits? Wow, I've never heard that one.

What kind of strange euphemisms the young people come up with these days ;D !

Ravens_Wing
2006-05-26, 12:46 AM
Way to go Roy!

Awsome new comic! Keep up the good work! ;D

Bakta
2006-05-26, 12:51 AM

Thog like cryptogams...*bow head in shame at the horrible pun*

I can't say this is one of the best, but it achieved it's purpose. The Giant's habit of last panel punchline didn't work out as well this time, then again, as someone said above. He sets the bar pretty high.

Shalaina
2006-05-26, 01:08 AM
No one should force their own values onto other people in real life. The same goes for webcomics. C'mon, they're obviously both adults, it's their relationship, leave it up to them when they want to have sex or not.

Lloyd
2006-05-26, 01:17 AM
Way to go, Roy.

And as for sending them all out before smuggling Celia out, isn't Belkar still on his way in? Oh, I can just see what he'd say, especially after his reaction to walking in on Elan and Samantha.

And Giant, thank you for getting on with the main story... all these little sub-plots were starting to become a bit much for me.

Pilum
2006-05-26, 01:22 AM
I can't say this is one of the best, but it achieved it's purpose. The Giant's habit of last panel punchline didn't work out as well this time, then again, as someone said above. He sets the bar pretty high.

I think I'll go with this too. A bit "meh..." this one, though that *could* be simply from following on to a VERY well crafted setup in 317, of course...

And the night must have been good because of Roy's CON? Well, each to their own, but I find having high DEX and INT combined will stay in the memory... ;)

Amotis
2006-05-26, 01:24 AM
And the night must have been good because of Roy's CON? Well, each to their own, but I find having high DEX and INT combined will stay in the memory... ;)

It's cha based. Ask anyone from the Epic Evil game. We know far too much about such things. :P

Brasswatchman
2006-05-26, 01:29 AM
:: offers Roy a high-five. ::

:: thinks for a second ::

:: offers Celia a high-five, too. ::

charik
2006-05-26, 01:57 AM
:: offers Roy a high-five. ::

:: thinks for a second ::

:: offers Celia a high-five, too. ::
It was all Celia's doing; she went after him big time. Ever since her comment to Roy that he had to be careful with grapple checks, if he failed enough of them he'd find himself pinned, I've thought of Dave Letterman's interview with Angelina Jolie about a year after her breakup, where she said she felt sorry for her next boyfriend because she had gone without for over a year. :o

As for judging putting out on the first date, they both went into this date expecting that it would be at least weeks or months at the earliest before they'd see each other again. I for one am willing to cut them some slack.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-26, 01:59 AM
Just to clear up the "what Type is Celia" confusion from Earlier, Sylphs are listed in the MMII on page 192 as Outsiders of the (Air) subtype. Of course, they're also listed as Small, so this is obviously a different, less copyrighted kind of Sylph that could conceivably be of the Fey type.

However, assuming that she is from the Elemental Plane of Air allows me to use this:

"...and that's where Genasi come from."

ARMOURERERIC
2006-05-26, 03:11 AM
I kinda figured V would have a few more "surprises" waiting for Belkar. I can only imagine what else V rigged with Explosive Runes.

I'm sure V has Belkar doing a comprehensive sampling of all the Elplosive Runes family of fine household products:

Bathroom Tissue
Dental Floss
After Shave
Toothpaste
Porno Mags
Condoms
Toilet Seat Lining Paper
The electronic door room key
Do not disturb sign
Ice Machine Bucket

Eric

The largest seller of hand made armour on ebay in the entire world

xyzchyx
2006-05-26, 03:24 AM
Why are people assuming that Roy and Celia had sex at all?

I mean, for one thing, it was their first date! Sure, Roy and Celia might have "just clicked", but it would still be VERY tacky, to say the least.

It seems to me that they had just been making out all night, which can easily leave a person in just as disheveled a state as if they had done more. Often it can appear even worse because more often than not long make-out sessions are interrupted by either a person or else time constraints (because there's no real notion of "finishing" making out), whereas after actual lovemaking (especially at night) a couple will generally have had some time afterwards to more fully physically and psychologically prepare for other events, decreasing how compromising the situation looks to people they are seeing that morning.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-05-26, 03:56 AM
I've honestly never seen a relationship ruined by early sex, no matter what the health teacher says.

Oh, I don't know. I've had women tell me that once they sleep with a man, it suddenly becomes all they want, and the relationship becomes defined by sex. "We used to talk, catch a movie, go for walks. Now he just wants to take me to bed. I only gave in because he wheedled me into it, and I figured it was okay, I've known him, like, forever. I want it like it used to be." It's a surprisingly common refrain. Which is why in college I opted for the hookup relationship. A (usually random) girl calls you up on the phone or meets you at a party, and sex is agreed on right up front, no games, no begging, nothing. Very straightforward, like a business arrangement. You just have to be careful because some of these girls are townies from the high school and might be underage. Plus, my university was right next door to the per capita v.d. capital of the continental U.S, honest to Banjo--and you don't need a case of that on your jock. :-[

I can only imagine what else V rigged with Explosive Runes.

Probably everything that looks like it might contain caffeine or healing potions.
Recalling my earlier post about "leprosy of the hemmorhoids"--all hail V, the creator of the "Preparation H-bomb!"

Bakta
2006-05-26, 04:34 AM
I'm sure V has Belkar doing a comprehensive sampling of all the Elplosive Runes family of fine household products:

Bathroom Tissue
Dental Floss
After Shave
Toothpaste

Somehow, Belkar and the above products are not associated in my mind.

As to

There is a whole genre of theater based on this kind of situation. Early morning someone knocks unexpectedly and the girl has to quickly dress up and hide in the worst possible place...
Let's see :
- Worst possible place : check
- Hurriedly dressed up (look at the left shoulder) : check
- Having something to hide : check

Somehow, having them play pattycake all night doesn't add up. Now, who came up early ?.

And now for something completly different.

Having no shame whatsoever, I found the title for this comic : The Titan goes extraplanar !

ZOMG
2006-05-26, 05:49 AM
Well, there's nothing more to say that hasn't already been said.
But don't you just think Roy and Celia are a cute couple!?

High-Chancellor
2006-05-26, 05:57 AM
I don't think there's anyone would think that Celia and Roy aren't a cute couple.

If there is I shall call them a comparatively impolite phrase.

ZOMG
2006-05-26, 06:01 AM
:p Yeah, you're probably right. I'll attack them! *gets out my spoon* Hyaaah! Actually..better not promote violence xD

Taren
2006-05-26, 08:32 AM
L.
O.
L.

That's all I can bring myself to say about this comic. I know I SHOULD have something meaningful to contribute, but this is so funny I'm at a loss for words.

ed
2006-05-26, 08:34 AM
xyzchyx quoth
why are people assuming that roy and celia had sex at all? i mean, for one thing, it was their first date! sure, roy and celia might have "just clicked", but it would still be very tacky, to say the least.
are you serious? with the talk about whose place, the bedhead and celia hiding behind the curtain, i honestly find it inconceivable* for someone to draw any other conclusion.

btw: "tacky" only applies if you apply a moral/ethical standard which may or may not be relevant to the world the OOTS gang lives in.

ed

*yes, that word means what i think it means, before anyone quotes it. :>

Keebler_the_Elf
2006-05-26, 10:24 AM
Having no shame whatsoever, I found the title for this comic : The Titan goes extraplanar !

This is almost funnier than the comic, which made me laugh. I am glad I am not in the library today, or else I would have many strange looks.

This also made me realize for the first time the connection between the highest level of poster on these forums... Titan. I never thought about it before, and I don't know if it is intended that way at all, since a Titan does not automatically refer to Roy, but in my mind it does now!

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-26, 11:24 AM
EAT THIS! Page 14!

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 11:51 AM
thank you, celestial stick: that was precisely my concern.

ed
My pleasure, Ed! Thank you for your contribution to the Spiderman v. Batman debate. :)

xyzchyx
2006-05-26, 12:01 PM
btw: "tacky" only applies if you apply a moral/ethical standard which may or may not be relevant to the world the OOTS gang lives in.Which people do here. Quite frequently, in fact (eg, "how can Miko be Lawful Good if she does blah blah blah blah..", and so on)... But I'm not trying to impose any particular morality on Roy or Celia when I suggested it would be tacky for the Giant to suggest that they had sex, or even that they had sex in a comic, but that they did it on their FIRST DATE. I cannot see it going well, and it wouldn't be remotely funny or entertaining to watch either... unless it was the Giant's intent to turn OotS into a comic-strip version of a soap opera (preparing for an onslaught of flamage from people who feel it is their solemn duty to protect the Giant from any and all comments that remotely resemble negative criticism).

In all honesty, everything about the circumstance suggests to me that they were doing some serious making out the night before, but never actually consumated anything (possibly because they "just clicked"... making out can easily go all night when you are with someoner like that). Then there's also the fact that because they wouldn't have ever actually "finished" anything if that were the case, they are probably still quite hot and bothered, and it would be far less likely they would have had the time to physically and emotionally prepare for the arrival of the morning, when Roy had things to do.

(I've had the misfortune of being in a similar situation once in RL, and I kid you not... a long make-out session can look FAR more suggestive to other people after the fact than "going all the way" would).

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 12:13 PM
No one should force their own values onto other people in real life. The same goes for webcomics. C'mon, they're obviously both adults, it's their relationship, leave it up to them when they want to have sex or not.
Says whom? I have absolutely no trouble forcing my value that rape is evil on a would-be rapist. I bet you don't either.

Corylus
2006-05-26, 12:28 PM
(I've had the misfortune of being in a similar situation once in RL, and I kid you not... a long make-out session can look FAR more suggestive to other people after the fact than "going all the way" would).
Oh my. TMI dude.

Midnight Son
2006-05-26, 12:33 PM
In regards to The Giant's use of first date sex and whether or not that is what's implied, I have just one thing to say:

Hot dwarf on dwarf action baby.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-26, 12:45 PM
xyzchx: Well, as characters go, they're both mature responsible adults - particularly compared to everyone around them. I think they have some clue what they're doing. And having sex on a first date isn't an automatic recipe for disaster, considering the aforementioned emotional maturity. Besides: it's a holiday (that's usually celebrated with some kind of carnal indulgence in our culture, for some reason), and they're not likely to see each other again for quite a while, what with the whole adventurer and law student things. They just decided to enjoy the moment.

Also, this deserves a rescue from the bottom of the page:

In regards to The Giant's use of first date sex and whether or not that is what's implied, I have just one thing to say:

Hot dwarf on dwarf action baby.

Renrik
2006-05-26, 12:49 PM
chicka-whomp-whomp!

OOOHHHH!

ed
2006-05-26, 01:17 PM
xyzchyx quoth
i'm not trying to impose any particular morality on roy or celia when i suggested it would be tacky for the giant to suggest that they had sex, or even that they had sex in a comic, but that they did it on their first date. i cannot see it going well, and it wouldn't be remotely funny or entertaining to watch either.
i'm curious why you leap to that conclusion. you haven't elaborated on any reasons for that notion that i've seen. ?

xyzchyx quoth
in all honesty, everything about the circumstance suggests to me that they were doing some serious making out the night before, but never actually consumated anything.
really? b/c everything about the circumstance suggests to me that they cast summon the beast with two backs IX: bedhead, celia hiding behind curtain, dress askew. further, since roy would presumably not have convened a meeting of the gang in his room at such an inopportune time, your conclusion appears to have trouble passing the occams razor test.

xyzchyx quoth
then there's also the fact that because they wouldn't have ever actually"finished" anything if that were the case, they are probably still quite hot and bothered, and it would be far less likely they would have had the time to physically and emotionally prepare for the arrival of the morning, when roy had things to do.
this only works if you assume that the giant, like joss whedon, delights in torturing his characters. i haven't really seen enough evidence to make such a conclusion, myself.

ed

Peptuck
2006-05-26, 01:20 PM
You know what the most rocking part about this comic is? Not V's continued harrassment of Belkar, which itself is highly amusing, or the fact that Roy finally got a woman who isn't Lawful Insane.

Roy's got his sword on his back, which hasn't been that way for nearly two hundred strips.

ed
2006-05-26, 01:22 PM
peptuck: excellent point re: sword.

er...having seen some CN players before, are you sure that shouldn't be chaotic insane? :>

edit: i love that avatar.

ed

Jack Squat
2006-05-26, 01:25 PM
peptuck: excellent point re: sword.

er...having seen some CN players before, are you sure that shouldn't be chaotic insane? :>

edit: i love that avatar.

ed

He was talking about Miko, not Celia

infiniteviking
2006-05-26, 01:29 PM
I say it too often, but... YAY VAARSUVIUS! May this ceaseless persecution of a being in every way his intellectual and moral inferior NEVER END! Mwahahahahaha!!!!

And now he's purchasing reagents!? Be very afraid.....

(I love how Roy completely ignores the implications of V's statement. He really doesn't want to know what's going on. They're consenting adults, they should be allowed to blow each other up at every opportunity. ;D)

Also, yay for plot! I like joke comics, but plot is a whole 'nother level of enjoyment.

ed
2006-05-26, 01:30 PM
i know that. i was referring more to the way people used to play CN.

ed

Kanashimi
2006-05-26, 02:01 PM
Was there this big of a deal over Durkon and Hilgya doing the two backed beast?

Really, in both cases here, Roy/Celia and Durkon/Hilgya knew each other as fellow adventurers for some time before expressing their affection physically. It's kind of like having a friend around for a long time then professing feelings for them. It's pretty natural, since the friend and respect thing is already established, to move a little faster than normal on the physical.

I think that at least for me, the fact that Roy respects Celia as a person (which he has stated) is more important than how long they have been "going out"

If Elan hooks up with some random chick on a street, well then he's a bit of a slut. THAT's rushing things. But if Hayley finally confessed her love for him and they ended up in bed, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

Like I kind of though about his comment regarding "seducing" Samantha. "It's my solemn duty to seduce female bad guys" Obviously indicates no respect or interest in them other than to occupy them with distractions of the flesh while the rest of the party accomplished their goal.

xyzchyx
2006-05-26, 02:29 PM
really? b/c everything about the circumstance suggests to me that they cast summon the beast with two backs IX: bedhead, celia hiding behind curtain, dress askew."Bedhead" isn't only caused by lying in bed. Making out for while can accomplish the same thing as can skewed clothing. Celia could easily have been hiding behind the curtain to avoid embarassment.

further, since roy would presumably not have convened a meeting of the gang in his room at such an inopportune time,Roy convened the meeting because he intended to do so first thing in the morning, probably even before Celia ever asked him out on the date. If he had not done so, he would not have been dressed in his adventuring gear and would have been as unprepared as Celia was. If they had gone all the way, they would be more rested, and Celia would have had more time to psychologically and physically prepare for the gang's arrival.

your conclusion appears to have trouble passing the occams razor test.Well, I admit that my conclusion is based heavily on my own personal real-life observations in a not entirely dissimilar situtation, so Occam's razor need not apply. And, IMO, it seems carry a greater potential for humour on account of sexual tension if Roy and Celia hadn't actually done it yet.

this only works if you assume that the giant, like joss whedon, delights in torturing his characters. i haven't really seen enough evidence to make such a conclusion, myself.Let's see... Durkon and Hilgya, Elan and Haley, Miko and Roy.... And that's just the romantic issues.

If Rich didn't like prolonging the agony just a little bit, Xykon would already be dead, V's gender would be clearly established, Belkar would have reformed, and oh heck, every plot would have already been resolved. Tension creates opportunity for plot. Both in the story and between the reader and the story.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-26, 02:31 PM
If Elan hooks up with some random chick on a street, well then he's a bit of a slut. THAT's rushing things. But if Hayley finally confessed her love for him and they ended up in bed, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.
I agree with this, actually. Still, though, I would say that Durkon/Hilgya and Roy/Celia moved a bit too fast, although you're right that neither one was just some "random hookup".

Like I kind of though about his comment regarding "seducing" Samantha. "It's my solemn duty to seduce female bad guys" Obviously indicates no respect or interest in them other than to occupy them with distractions of the flesh while the rest of the party accomplished their goal.
See, the thing about this is that I took Elan to actually believe it. Some characters might have used that line as an excuse, but I thought Elan was being serious when he said it, which is why I have a hard time viewing him too harshly for it. I also think that if he were actually in a relationship (with Haley, for instance), he wouldn't still do that sort of thing. I can't imagine him ever doing anything that he knew would hurt someone he cared about.

iamwardicus
2006-05-26, 02:31 PM
lol - It seems that Roy did fail a lot of those grapple checks and Did end up being "Pinned" :-p awesomeness. I wonder what's going to happen with haley.... as for the explosive runes - go V! (I always thought V was a woman tho'.... especially since Haley seems to be so close to V.. o h well - i'll figure it out eventually.

Kanashimi
2006-05-26, 02:37 PM
lol - It seems that Roy did fail a lot of those grapple checks and Did end up being "Pinned" :-p awesomeness. I wonder what's going to happen with haley.... as for the explosive runes - go V! (I always thought V was a woman tho'.... especially since Haley seems to be so close to V.. o h well - i'll figure it out eventually.

i think regardness of V's gender, s/he should be offended by being kissed by Belkar. After all, s/he IS married!!

iamwardicus
2006-05-26, 03:03 PM
in belkars defense - he was under some serious influence... but you are right in the whole married thing with V.

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 03:06 PM
I agree with this, actually. Still, though, I would say that Durkon/Hilgya and Roy/Celia moved a bit too fast, although you're right that neither one was just some "random hookup".

See, the thing about this is that I took Elan to actually believe it. Some characters might have used that line as an excuse, but I thought Elan was being serious when he said it, which is why I have a hard time viewing him too harshly for it. I also think that if he were actually in a relationship (with Haley, for instance), he wouldn't still do that sort of thing. I can't imagine him ever doing anything that he knew would hurt someone he cared about.
I thought Elan believed it too.

I don't see the big deal with Roy and Celia having sex. I suppose it's possble that they didn't actually have sex, but if they did, they were consenting adult creature types so I just don't see the problem--though I wouldn't have minded seeing what Celia's 18 Charisma is worth "under the hood." ;)

Krytha
2006-05-26, 03:30 PM
in belkars defense - he was under some serious influence... but you are right in the whole married thing with V.

Yeah, but V being married isn't the only thing. V despises Belkar and regards him as the lowest being that ever despoiled the earth.

Now imagine kissing someone you didn't just hate, but made you sick to even think about... Explosive runes for breakfast?

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:33 PM
Two more comics until they start killing things again.

saraswati
2006-05-26, 03:53 PM
Says whom? I have absolutely no trouble forcing my value that rape is evil on a would-be rapist. I bet you don't either.

While I agree with you Stick, I'm pretty sure Shalaina was implying -consenting- adults. At least that's how I read it.

Also, re the discussion of whether or not Giant is really implying that Roy and Celia had sex, and if so, whether or not that is surprising/out of the ordinary/shocking etc. Although OOTS is set in generic D & D fantasy world, there is a lot in there to imply a modern mindset, not -really- a mideval mindset. For better or for worse, random, casual, or first date sex is common in today's U.S. society. If you think it's immoral that's fine. But its not at all unusual or a leap in logic to assume that Roy and Celia did indeed, do the nasty all night long, if you are putting their actions in a modern context.

I, for one, approve. {like you care :P}

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 04:03 PM
While I agree with you Stick, I'm pretty sure Shalaina was implying -consenting- adults. At least that's how I read it.

Also, re the discussion of whether or not Giant is really implying that Roy and Celia had sex, and if so, whether or not that is surprising/out of the ordinary/shocking etc. Although OOTS is set in generic D & D fantasy world, there is a lot in there to imply a modern mindset, not -really- a mideval mindset. For better or for worse, random, casual, or first date sex is common in today's U.S. society. If you think it's immoral that's fine. But its not at all unusual or a leap in logic to assume that Roy and Celia did indeed, do the nasty all night long, if you are putting their actions in a modern context.

I, for one, approve. {like you care :P}
Sure, I'm not one of those people who is going to be nasty and say that I don't care what you think. If I don't care what you think there's little point in our having a discussion. :)

In any case I wasn't objecting them having sex, as I've said in two other posts. In fact I think it's great that Celia scored! ;) I was just objecting to the vaccuous (and self-contradictory) postmodernist claim that "you can't impose your morality on others."

molonel
2006-05-26, 04:06 PM
Although OOTS is set in generic D & D fantasy world, there is a lot in there to imply a modern mindset, not -really- a mideval mindset. For better or for worse, random, casual, or first date sex is common in today's U.S. society.

People in the medieval period didn't have casual sex?

That's news to me.

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 04:06 PM
Sure, I'm not one of those people who is going to be nasty and say that I don't care what you think. If I don't care what you think there's little point in our having a discussion. :)

In any case I wasn't objecting them having sex, as I've said in two other posts. In fact I think it's great that Celia scored! ;) I was just objecting to the vaccuous (and self-contradictory) postmodernist claim that "you can't impose your morality on others."

Edit: Scandinavia, which got Christanized last of all western Europe, had considerably more acceptance of sex than other parts of Medieval western Europe. Of course, even in more thoroughly Christianized western Europe, that sort of morality was preached more than practiced. :)

molonel
2006-05-26, 04:08 PM
Of course, even in more thoroughly Christianized western Europe, that sort of morality was preached more than practiced. :)

I'm sure it would have surprised Chaucer to learn that nobody had casual sex in medieval Europe. Or the medieval ballad writers.

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 04:10 PM
I say it too often, but... YAY VAARSUVIUS! May this ceaseless persecution of a being in every way his intellectual and moral inferior NEVER END! Mwahahahahaha!!!!

And now he's purchasing reagents!? Be very afraid.....

(I love how Roy completely ignores the implications of V's statement. He really doesn't want to know what's going on. They're consenting adults, they should be allowed to blow each other up at every opportunity. ;D)

Also, yay for plot! I like joke comics, but plot is a whole 'nother level of enjoyment.

Yeah, but V being married isn't the only thing. V despises Belkar and regards him as the lowest being that ever despoiled the earth.

Now imagine kissing someone you didn't just hate, but made you sick to even think about... Explosive runes for breakfast?

Fellas, I'm thinkin' it's explosive runes for breakfast, lunch and dinner--and hopefully second breakfast, tea and onezies too. ;)

Shalaina
2006-05-26, 05:00 PM

Obviously I was assuming laws to apply and both persons involved to consent. I figured that was blatantly obvious. In the case of rape, I also strongly doubt you would be *forcing* your own values onto others as I'm quite certain the victim's take on the issue would match your own.
I merely meant to express my distate for people feeling the necessity to poke their noses into other people's - or in this case stickfigures' ;) - business, particularly when we're talking about something as personal as intercourse. As long as they're adults and both consent, they're free to do whatever pleases them, and I've never been able to understand why some people seem to think they've got the right to tell others what is - according to them - right or wrong.

P.S: I neither know nor care whether that's considered to be "postmodernist", trendy, liberal or whatever; to me, giving each person to right to act as they please as long as it's within the boundaries of law is simply one of the basic prerogatives of each individual that are based on our right to liberty. You know, the great achievements of the French Revolution and all that. Liberty to me also means absence of social pressure.

Felinoid
2006-05-26, 05:15 PM
If they had gone all the way, they would be more rested, and Celia would have had more time to psychologically and physically prepare for the gang's arrival.
Boy, you have a low opinion on Roy's CON score, don't you? ;)

1. Started after midnight (the first kiss), and the meeting was at daybreak.
2. Who says they only went once? ;D
3. Who says even that once didn't last six hours? :o (Tantric or whatever)

There are plenty of reasons they could have been utterly exhausted come daybreak. And they did have enough time to dress hastily, if not to smuggle Celia out.

But ultimately, if you want to believe that they just made out all night because it gives you a higher opinion of them, more power to you. :) Being happy for Roy and Celia is more important than knowing the "truth". And that goes for all of us who think they hooked up, too. It's more than possible that those of us who are happy they did hook up are the deluded ones. But either way, we're happy for them.

molonel
2006-05-26, 05:21 PM
But ultimately, if you want to believe that they just made out all night because it gives you a higher opinion of them, more power to you. :) Being happy for Roy and Celia is more important than knowing the "truth". And that goes for all of us who think they hooked up, too. It's more than possible that those of us who are happy they did hook up are the deluded ones. But either way, we're happy for them.

Wait wait wait - I missed the first part of this discussion.

We're actually arguing about whether or not a frazzled, hidden woman waiting until your friends have left to emerge and straighten herself is indicative of ... sex?

Now THAT is funny.

Zaruthustran
2006-05-26, 06:11 PM

I mean, for one thing, it was their first date! Sure, Roy and Celia might have "just clicked", but it would still be VERY tacky, to say the least.

I think it's charming that there still persists the notion that sex shouldn't happen on the first date.

But ultimately the particulars don't matter. Whether you prefer to think they just held hands, or whether you think they had sex, point is: Roy and Celia hooked up in one form or another. Good for them!

Nice comic, The Giant.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 06:41 PM
We're actually arguing about whether or not a frazzled, hidden woman waiting until your friends have left to emerge and straighten herself is indicative of ... sex?

Now THAT is funny.

What's funny about it? I thought they played chess all night. It was an awful shock for me, that people here actually think they had sex. Even typing the evil three letter word hurts my moral standards and all. Please, someone tell me they only had a hearty discussion...

(insert smilie of choice here)

xyzchyx
2006-05-26, 07:16 PM
I think it's charming that there still persists the notion that sex shouldn't happen on the first date.

But ultimately the particulars don't matter. Whether you prefer to think they just held hands, or whether you think they had sex, point is: Roy and Celia hooked up in one form or another. Good for them!Well, I *DO* think that they went a lot further than holding hands... possibly the proverbial "2nd base", or so. Definitely on the way there, as it were.

saraswati
2006-05-26, 08:14 PM

Ooops. My bad, Stick. Only the first sentence was directed at you. There was supposed to be a page break line and the rest was just to the everyone else in general, who, actually, may not care :D

Sorry for the seemingly hostile confusion caused by technical difficulties.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Perhaps those of us who jump to the assumption that Roy and Celia had sex have dirty minds. I know I do. Show of hands?

SalSar_Thiran
2006-05-26, 08:40 PM
I hate to be the one to say it tee kay, but sex stopped being considered a nessesary sin back in the middle ages. Rampant sex is still frowned on though.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:46 PM
oh. I don't think I have to answer that... ;D

SalSar_Thiran
2006-05-26, 08:55 PM
I failed my detect sarcasm roll didn't I?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:58 PM
**nod**

or maybe I failed my "Craft - witty post" check.

Morchaint
2006-05-26, 09:24 PM
I could quote lots of things on here. but Ill just stick my oar in without quotes.

regardless of a chess game or sex, or something inbetween.
Im glad Roy and Celia had fun. thats why I like the fact that it is not s.p.e.l.l.e.d out for us, what happended.

it lets our imagination have fun too.

personally I think they had sex, some cuddle time, and then more sex, which made them a bit late for the morning meeting. however. I think its silly to get all hyped up about what might have happened. or whatnot.

EDIT: Ill use the soapbox for something else.
there. I ll retract my oar.

Van_Shipeldorf
2006-05-26, 10:11 PM
Of course they had sex. Hair doesn't get mussed up from just sleeping you know!

xyzchyx
2006-05-26, 10:17 PM
Of course they had sex. Hair doesn't get mussed up from just sleeping you know!It can get SERIOUSLY messed up from just fooling around, even without actual sex.

CelestialStick
2006-05-26, 11:52 PM
It was all Celia's doing; she went after him big time. Ever since her comment to Roy that he had to be careful with grapple checks, if he failed enough of them he'd find himself pinned, I've thought of Dave Letterman's interview with Angelina Jolie about a year after her breakup, where she said she felt sorry for her next boyfriend because she had gone without for over a year. :o

As for judging putting out on the first date, they both went into this date expecting that it would be at least weeks or months at the earliest before they'd see each other again. I for one am willing to cut them some slack.
Rather fitting that you said "cut them some slack," after mentioning Angelina Jolie. I understand that she is into "erotic cutting" and other sick stuff like that. I kind of hope now that she's a momma she's outgrown that, but under the circumstances a warning from her to her next boyfriend is hardly on the same level as Celia's cute "pinned" pun.

there. I ll retract my oar, and step off the soapbox.

And speaking of pain, "ouch!" That is the most painfully-mixed metaphor I've ever heard. Did I mention, "ouch?!"

Of course they had sex. Hair doesn't get mussed up from just sleeping you know!

Only on the planet Earth. ;)

Obviously I was assuming laws to apply and both persons involved to consent. I figured that was blatantly obvious. In the case of rape, I also strongly doubt you would be *forcing* your own values onto others as I'm quite certain the victim's take on the issue would match your own.
I merely meant to express my distate for people feeling the necessity to poke their noses into other people's - or in this case stickfigures' ;) - business, particularly when we're talking about something as personal as intercourse. As long as they're adults and both consent, they're free to do whatever pleases them, and I've never been able to understand why some people seem to think they've got the right to tell others what is - according to them - right or wrong.

P.S: I neither know nor care whether that's considered to be "postmodernist", trendy, liberal or whatever; to me, giving each person to right to act as they please as long as it's within the boundaries of law is simply one of the basic prerogatives of each individual that are based on our right to liberty. You know, the great achievements of the French Revolution and all that. Liberty to me also means absence of social pressure.
Legality has nothing to do with it. When I was younger it was legal in most states for men to force their wives to have sex. As a very young adult I helped lobby the Illinois General Assembly to pass a law outlawing such practices. That was certainly a form of imposing my values on the husbands. Just as executing Nazis for their killing of Jews was imposing a set of values (my values in this case too) on the Nazis.
The notion that each of us has natural rights to life, liberty and property comes out of the Enlightenment, and while the French Revolution in theory drew on those Enlightenment ideas, in practice it turned into one of the most anti-liberty phenomenon in western European history. Indeed I can think of no other western European event so antithetical to the Enlightenment notion of individual rights to life, liberty and property as the French Revolution's Reign of Terror. By inspiring German nationalistic anti-rational Romanticism, furthermore, the French Revolution did more than any other historical event to destroy the hold of the Enlightenment on western European thought. The French Revolution, rather than providing an example of anything positve, stands out as an exemplar of how even the absolute best of human ideas can be utterly twisted and perverted by the flaws of human natural into the greatest of evils.

Ah, but in any case we digress. The point is that we all regularly impose our values on others, so that "you can't impose your values on others" is a vaccuous argument. Even trying to force people not to impose their values is itself an attempt to impose a value, and thus self-contradictory.

The ancient Judeo-Christian religious tradition has opposed sex outside of marriage entirely, and has heavily shaped Western thinking on the subject. The pagan traditions of western Europe tended to have a more positive attitude toward extramarital sex, with sex sometimes performed as part of religious rights of fertility. The pagan traditions had, however, been largely submerged in western Europe long before the Modern Era. Postmodernist thinking, which starts more or less in the 1960s, reopened the door to wanton sexuality, which I must say has been a great deal of fun for me. ;D

I think though the endurance of the Judeo-Christian perspective on sex shows in the number of posts here questioning the wisdom of Roy and Celia having sex on the first date.

divine
2006-05-27, 12:10 AM
ok, they closed the "spoiler" thread and I just HAVE TO make a prediction!! so don't read it if you don't want to -- (I'll change the text color too so hopefully that helps)
[spoiler] Celia must die. Think about it, now that her and Roy are an "item" it's almost inevitable! It'll probably be when the evil X-dude storms the city.. and he'll kill her somehow.. and Roy will lose it and destroy him. I've never made a prediction about this strip before but I just had to >)

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 12:15 AM
ok, they closed the "spoiler" thread and I just HAVE TO make a prediction!! so don't read it if you don't want to -- (I'll change the text color too so hopefully that helps)
[spoiler] [Spoiler removed because I couldn't match the text color to the quotation background color.]
Oh, the "Spoiler Thread" is just a general thread on how to deal with spoilers on the board. You can still start your own spoiler thread on the board. In fact I suggest that you do start your own spoiler thread on this topic so we can all discuss what I think was an excellent prediction!
P.S. Is X-Dude related to Milk Dudes? ;)

Ooops. My bad, Stick. Only the first sentence was directed at you. There was supposed to be a page break line and the rest was just to the everyone else in general, who, actually, may not care :D

Sorry for the seemingly hostile confusion caused by technical difficulties.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
No need to apologize at all! I certainly wasn't offended. I just wanted to assure you that I valued your opinion.

Perhaps those of us who jump to the assumption that Roy and Celia had sex have dirty minds. I know I do. Show of hands?
Well at my age my mind is about the only thing I can still get dirty. ;)