PDA

View Full Version : The United States of America? Too Old-fashioned?

Jewel Thief
2007-09-05, 10:06 PM
My friends and I were at Starbucks talking about the USA, and as stupid college girls go, we decided the United States' name wasn't as chic, or as sexy as we'd like. Obviously, changing the name of our country would solve all of our health care, economic and foreign policies problems <roll eyes> so I agree if you this is completely stupid... but!

If our President got up onto the News and said he was going to change "The United States of America's" name to something much, much cooler, what names would be totally awesome?

Mine? Middle-Earth.

Catch
2007-09-05, 10:12 PM
Well, considering the current pronunciation by USA enthusiasts, I propose that we make the country's name phonetic.

"Murka."

LoopyZebra
2007-09-05, 10:19 PM
Not-Canada. It sums up two national identities, draws the line between them, and then provides geographical information! It's educational and fun! :smallsmile:

*And Canadians, no offense was meant.

Brickwall
2007-09-05, 10:35 PM
Well...why not just seize the name "America", and go by that? I mean, it's not like it's never been done before. The Roman Empire was just Rome, which was what it originally was to all whom it concerned. They kept Rome because it sounded good, and the full title was for pompous people. In togas. To-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA! :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-09-05, 10:40 PM
Well...why not just seize the name "America", and go by that?

This idea could be compared to calling England "Europe". http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3931/rolleyes0qd.gif

Brickwall
2007-09-05, 10:47 PM
This idea could be compared to calling England "Europe". http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3931/rolleyes0qd.gif

Yeah, you sure read the rest of my post. :smallannoyed:

And nice job. Some guy in Albania just got fingernail cancer.

skywalker
2007-09-05, 10:51 PM
Well...why not just seize the name "America", and go by that? I mean, it's not like it's never been done before. The Roman Empire was just Rome, which was what it originally was to all whom it concerned. They kept Rome because it sounded good, and the full title was for pompous people. In togas. To-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA! :smallbiggrin:

We already HAVE seized the name America. Or was it your intention to point this out?(it can be hard to tell on forums.)

What are US citizens abroad called? Americans abroad. Canadians abroad are known as Canadians. Mexicans = Mexicans. Don't even get me started about South America. Basically, you have a country that makes up a sizable, but not majority portion of the land mass known as America, which calls itself America(See songs: America the Beautiful[That song's definitely not talking about Mexico]).

FdL
2007-09-05, 10:56 PM
Yeah, you sure read the rest of my post. :smallannoyed:

I actually managed to read all of it in one sitting :smallannoyed:

And nice job. Some guy in Albania just got fingernail cancer.

Well, as long as it somewhere far away from the center of the world it's ok :smallamused:

Anyway, sorry but I don't think anything intelligent could come from this topic.

reorith
2007-09-05, 11:23 PM
south canada has fun kind ring to it.

Brickwall
2007-09-05, 11:33 PM
Well, as long as it somewhere far away from the center of the world it's ok :smallamused:

If you're referring to the Prime Meridian, its actually quite close. Closer than you, anyway.

If you're referring to me, then yes, it is OK. :smallbiggrin:

Gowron
2007-09-06, 01:09 AM
Well...why not just seize the name "America", and go by that?

This is why. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29g57XTYgLE)

tannish2
2007-09-06, 01:49 AM
Not-Canada. It sums up two national identities, draws the line between them, and then provides geographical information! It's educational and fun! :smallsmile:

*And Canadians, no offense was meant.

you looked out for the feelings of canadians in that post... but what about americans?

Raiser Blade
2007-09-06, 01:50 AM
3 GP says this thread gets locked.

Serpentine
2007-09-06, 02:56 AM
This is why. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29g57XTYgLE)
You know, some of the comments to that are reallys stupid. For example, this one:

uhh dude france denmark and the netherlands arent on the contnents of america... they are in europe lol
You'd think that if they'd actually listened to the song, they'd've realised that it was just comparing the situations :smallconfused:

To be fair to "America", it is the only country that actually has "America" in the name... Doesn't make my Bolivian friends any happier about it, though.

Lord Herman
2007-09-06, 06:33 AM
I think it should be renamed "Sweden". Just to confuse people.

Pepz
2007-09-06, 07:15 AM
well from what I've seen in and about the United States of America, I think that's exactly what the country is.

The USA are a group of pieces of land bigger than most countries by themselves, and after hearing ever so many state vs state jokes (Kanses vs Oklahoma jokes anyone? I've heard tons! ) I really got the feeling that, even though the states have a common president (no-one will ever forget what state he is from though) citizens of the US are usually more connected to their state than to their country.

Well, that's just what I got from my experiences in that beautiful and horrible nation :) I think the United States of America is a perfect name, even if North-America would be more correct :)

O, almost forgot this:
"Durrrr, Germany, isn't that closed to Chicago? :smallwink: "

LCR
2007-09-06, 07:24 AM
North American Commonwealth
United Federation of North America (Canada excluded)
Columbia
Vinland

I'd prefer Vinland or Columbia.

Death Giant
2007-09-06, 07:29 AM
[joke]I'd call it the the Butt-hogin-turd shaped-country. Is it already taken? Oh yeah I'm talkin about Germany. Nevermind.[joke]

LCR
2007-09-06, 07:41 AM
Very funny indeed, you kiwi.

Gygaxphobia
2007-09-06, 07:45 AM
Sheesh, if you're going to start confusing the name of a continent for a country, why not just call it Earth instead and have done with it.

"The President of Earth today said..." which is pretty much what all Hollywood films do anyway. Then you could start calling the rest of the world Not-Earth and no longer recognise them as part of the same planet.

How about Burgerland? or Plastoperia?

Don't get me wrong- I love the USA, it's just unfortunate that some 80% or so of your citizens come across as complete arsehats.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 08:00 AM
"Publicity Paradise"

That pretty much sums it all.

OverdrivePrime
2007-09-06, 08:04 AM
We could solve this by renaming South America "Vespuccica". That's even fun to say, and kind of makes me think of dance parties for some reason.

At that point, we could just rename North America to "America". However, I don't think that's going far enough. Let's pay some respect to the folks who made it here first, and split the northern land mass into a bunch of smaller regions such as the Iriquois Confederacy II, Siouxia, Ojibwanna, Aztalan, Greater Chacotopia, etc.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 08:07 AM
We could solve this by renaming South America "Vespuccica". That's even fun to say, and kind of makes me think of dance parties for some reason.

No, it wouldn't work. It sounds a bit like something dirty (at least in Spanish... we Mexicans have a very dirty mind sometimes...)

OverdrivePrime
2007-09-06, 08:13 AM
No, it wouldn't work. It sounds a bit like something dirty (at least in Spanish... we Mexicans have a very dirty mind sometimes...)

I thought that was the point!:smallcool:

Aizle
2007-09-06, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm. Some snarky ideas from a US citizen...

Capitalistica
The Puritanical States of God
The Imperial States of HEY You Aren't a Democracy but Should Be
World Police Headquarters

(for the satirically challenged, this has been a test of the emergency joke system. If the above items were really true, you would have your thoughts and jokes made for you. This is only a joke.)

Skippy
2007-09-06, 08:21 AM
I thought that was the point!:smallcool:

Oh, I get it now... Still, I wouldn't say "I live in Vespuccica"...

Serpentine
2007-09-06, 08:28 AM
Aizle: Prepare to be redtexted :smallcool:
Capitalistica does have a nice ring, though...

Tormsskull
2007-09-06, 08:30 AM
How about Big Brother Land?

MandibleBones
2007-09-06, 08:30 AM
I don't know, I'm having fun reading the geography jokes rather than political jokes.

Maybe "Middle America?" Might make the Nebraskans happy.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 08:32 AM
How about Big Brother Land?

That sounds fair enough

Trog
2007-09-06, 08:40 AM
The Land of Dafree.

or Suburbia

or Thanksgivingland

or Dontreadonme

or Constitutionia

or Trogland

... hey can't blame a bipedal lizard for trying.

Aizle
2007-09-06, 08:43 AM
Aizle: Prepare to be redtexted :smallcool:
Capitalistica does have a nice ring, though...

Hmm, really? I just re-read the posting rules, and I'm having trouble finding where I stepped over the line. I don't really want to start on the wrong foot here with the Mods, but I'll stand by my satire as being pretty firmly rooted within history.

Maybe it's because I don't equate poking fun at with belittling. /shrug

StickMan
2007-09-06, 08:47 AM

We have actually got in alot of trouble for this a few years back our embassy in Mexico said the American Embassy and they were like guys what the heck your not the only Americans, it was a mess.

The USA are a group of pieces of land bigger than most countries by themselves, and after hearing ever so many state vs state jokes (Kanses vs Oklahoma jokes anyone? I've heard tons! ) I really got the feeling that, even though the states have a common president (no-one will ever forget what state he is from though) citizens of the US are usually more connected to their state than to their country.

As an American (and I'm not slamming you for your opinion plz understand that), that is not correct, I'm by far more tied to my nation than my state. I may have a culture based more on my area but there is an over all American culture. When I look at the US flag I have a feeling of pride in what my nation has done (well the good stuff), and I remember the sacrifices of the people who forged this nation. When I see my state flag I go hey that is my state flag, and that is it.

Now to the issue at hand it would be nice to get rid of this whole America thing. And here is why. Historians looking over the charts left by Amerigo Vespucci (the man the Americas are named for) have figured out there is a very good chance he never even came to America. His charts are way off if he followed the coarse that he said he did he would have ended up in the north pole. They believe that he may have sailed out of port and then went up to Beljium and partied with his crew till all the money was gone, then came back and faked what he had seen based on what others before him had seen. So my nation is named for a con artist.

How about United States of Earth, then we can call are selfs Earthlings and annoy everyone at the same time. Or unveil are plan to add another 1000 states, by force.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 08:53 AM
...or Trogland

... hey can't blame a bipedal lizard for trying.

I actually like it! I'd go for that one!

Tormsskull
2007-09-06, 08:55 AM

Maybe you don't, and I don't, and 80% of the posters don't, but if even 1 poster takes offense to it the mods are likely to shut it down. I got issued an infraction before for saying that not everyone agrees with the way a particular country is run.

They try really hard to stay away from anything that could be even narrowly contrived as politics/religion.

Serpentine
2007-09-06, 08:57 AM
Hmm, really? I just re-read the posting rules, and I'm having trouble finding where I stepped over the line. I don't really want to start on the wrong foot here with the Mods, but I'll stand by my satire as being pretty firmly rooted within history.

Well... maybe not quite red-text worthy, but it was edging towards the "no politics!" thing. Which by extension rules out an awful lot of interesting conversation material :smallsigh:
Anyway... Stickman, where did you read that about Amerigo? I'd be interested to read it.

Ooooo along the lines of being named after its discoverer: Leifland or Bjarnica! :smallbiggrin:

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 08:58 AM
How about United States of Earth, then we can call are selfs Earthlings and annoy everyone at the same time.

Don't we do this already? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I identify myself as an American 1st and a Texan 1st-a. There are a few states whose residents generally identify more with their state than their nation: Texas, California and New York are the ones that spring to mind first. Oh, and Chicago. :smallwink:

Aizle
2007-09-06, 09:00 AM
As an American (and I'm not slamming you for your opinion plz understand that), that is not correct, I'm by far more tied to my nation than my state. I may have a culture based more on my area but there is an over all American culture. When I look at the US flag I have a feeling of pride in what my nation has done (well the good stuff), and I remember the sacrifices of the people who forged this nation. When I see my state flag I go hey that is my state flag, and that is it.

I think a lot of it tends to depend on where you are from within the US.

Texans as an example are pretty state centric as a whole.

It will also depend on the issue. Some things are very much a national issue, and there is some level of unity on. Others tend to devolve into state to state bickering.

StickMan
2007-09-06, 09:06 AM
Anyway... Stickman, where did you read that about Amerigo? I'd be interested to read it.

Its something one of my history teachers told me in high school and then I also learned about from two Professors in college I'll try to find something more solid though. I normally like to have a good source for odd history trivia if I can (I'm a history major planing to be a teacher). I'll try to find something, but until then you'll have to trust, that I never will put out info on a historical event unless I have a good source or strong reason to believe the people that told me about it. In this case the people who told me about it were, a High school history teacher with advanced degrees and two college professors with Doctorates in history. They all did say it was controversial, but that may be people not wanting to re wright excepted history, and we like to fight its a common trend among historians.

OK I found something its not much, the relevant part to this is in the last paragraph. http://www.studyworld.com/Amerigo_Vespucci.htm

UserClone
2007-09-06, 09:12 AM
I think we should call ourselves "The United Divided States of MINE!" Our national anthem should be that "I want it now!" song Veruca Salt sings in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and we should all have naptime from about 2-5 PM. Meh. [/SillyRanting]

Lord Herman
2007-09-06, 09:26 AM
I actually like it! I'd go for that one!

Hear, hear! From now on, I will call the USA Trogland.

Zephra
2007-09-06, 09:32 AM
What about if we take the letters U, S, and A, and make them stand for something else?

Skippy
2007-09-06, 09:37 AM
Hear, hear! From now on, I will call the USA Trogland.

For me it is officially recognized as a good name for it, so now my location is "Not on Trogland".

Maerdred
2007-09-06, 09:53 AM
Hmmmm. I've been thinking of it. and I think the perfect name is Maerdredia.

What do you think?

Lord Herman
2007-09-06, 10:15 AM
We could also go with 'The Country With No Name', or maybe 'The Country Formerly Known As The USA'.

Nah, Trogland is better.

Serpentine
2007-09-06, 10:28 AM
The Land With No Beer.

...wait

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 10:34 AM
The Land With No Beer.

...wait

That's Hell. :smalleek:

Aizle
2007-09-06, 10:37 AM
That's Hell. :smalleek:

I thought it was Utah. :smallwink:

Pepz
2007-09-06, 10:45 AM

Ah no offense taken at all :) it's an opinion formed from what I saw and heard in my year in Kansas, and the few other trips I had to your lovely country. I'd like to add Kansas to the State-centric citizens list ;)

and yeah, Trogland is just the best name here :) I hereby live in Not on Trogland as well.

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 10:49 AM
Ah no offense taken at all :) it's an opinion formed from what I saw and heard in my year in Kansas, and the few other trips I had to your lovely country. I'd like to add Kansas to the State-centric citizens list ;)

and yeah, Trogland is just the best name here :) I hereby live in Not on Trogland as well.

I'd forgotten Kansas in my list. They're probably top-two. I'm not sure Trogland'll fit in my location, but I'll see what I can do. Let's see how many we can spread the Trogland Virus to... :smallbiggrin:

Skippy
2007-09-06, 10:52 AM
No, you've got it all wrong. Texas is now a part of Trogland, and not the other way around.

Indon
2007-09-06, 10:55 AM
"New Europe"? Or is that not arrogant enough?

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 11:06 AM
radikalskippy: I know how I put it. :smallwink:

Indon: Not nearly arrogant enough. :smallbiggrin: Gives too much credit to Europe. Maybe "Better than Europe", but that still includes Europe.
OOOO! How 'bout "You Wish You Were Trogland!"?

StickMan
2007-09-06, 11:12 AM
Well, I agree that some state are more state centric, and yea I would think Kansas would be one of them as well as Texas (Probably the top). Over all I'm just a firm believer that when people say things like people from Ohio do not have much in common with say people from Kansas its a case of people putting to much focus on what is different and not what is the same. But then I'm the sentimental type who thinks people the world over are about the same, and that we have focused on difference in the past to justify our competition for resources.

Winter_Wolf
2007-09-06, 11:22 AM
I like the sound of Trogland. It has a kind of familiar ring to it that I can't place.

Or we could change the name to R'lyeh and build Cthulhu statues everywhere. Either way.

Miklus
2007-09-06, 12:01 PM
How about Burgerland?

Damn, beaten to the punch! Hmmm...how about Dollarland? Or Dollar$ with a "$"? The people could be "Dollarian$".

Semidi
2007-09-06, 12:30 PM
Rename it "Earth." We need to expand from just annoying people on the North American continent to really getting those non-Americans flustered.

...*Insert Political Comment*

Zaggab
2007-09-06, 12:46 PM
Rename it "Earth." We need to expand from just annoying people on the North American continent to really getting those non-Americans flustered.

...*Insert Political Comment*

If Hollywood movies are any indication, USA is the only country on Earth.

Take The Core, for example. They are all like "we must save the world, cuz' it's messed up EVERYWHERE". And then they only show USA on their maps. it's the same thing in other movies. And, according to the Core, the world is two-dimensional.

...So, since most people think that Americans consider USA to be the world, nobody would care if USA was renamed "the World".

But what would the adjective and nationality be? Worldian? Worldic? Worldians?

Or.. TERRANS!

evisiron
2007-09-06, 01:01 PM
Unit-istan.

Just for giggles. :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, 'Not Canada' sounds good.

Oh, what about Canadia?

Indon
2007-09-06, 01:22 PM
Or.. TERRANS!

Starcraft is our future.

FdL
2007-09-06, 01:32 PM
3 GP says this thread gets locked.

And I'm willing to pay them to get the job done. :smallannoyed:

Ink
2007-09-06, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Brickwall
Well...why not just seize the name "America", and go by that? I mean, it's not like it's never been done before. The Roman Empire was just Rome, which was what it originally was to all whom it concerned. They kept Rome because it sounded good, and the full title was for pompous people. In togas. To-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!:smallbiggrin:

We have actually got in alot of trouble for this a few years back our embassy in Mexico said the American Embassy and they were like guys what the heck your not the only Americans, it was a mess.

Clearly you guys in the United States need to start referring to yourselves as U.S. Americans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

How about Newworldia? Or Newearthia.

Ceska
2007-09-06, 02:39 PM
Louisiana. Yes, I know, but it was much larger early on.

Cabotland.

Country whose name two German mapmakers screwed up.

LCR
2007-09-06, 04:21 PM
Neu Deutschland!

ForzaFiori
2007-09-06, 05:21 PM
That Place between Canada and Mexico.

EDIT: and for the UK folks: The Upstart Colonies of America.

Totally Guy
2007-09-06, 06:12 PM
How about the United American States?

That puts a tad more emphasis on the individual states elements, as if each state was more of a country that had entered a union. Which is pretty much the case. When going abroad you could call yourselves the appropriate term for the state you are from, eg, new yorker or kentuckian. If anyone abroad gets it wrong you could say it's bad that they got it wrong and make them feel all guilty for not knowing the cultural differences between states.

You know, like the rest of the world does.

ForzaFiori
2007-09-06, 06:19 PM

That puts a tad more emphasis on the individual states elements, as if each state was more of a country that had entered a union. Which is pretty much the case. When going abroad you could call yourselves the appropriate term for the state you are from, eg, new yorker or kentuckian. If anyone abroad gets it wrong you could say it's bad that they got it wrong and make them feel all guilty for not knowing the cultural differences between states.

i like this idea

Ditto
2007-09-06, 06:26 PM
People in The United American States will still end up getting called 'Americans', which is most of the gripe around the rest of the continent(s). As someone pointed out, we *are* the only one who bothered putting 'America' in our names. (Sure, we were country-fied a bit before most of the current-day states in the hemisphere. It's not *our* fault that they didn't want to be misidentified.) And that's actually an inaccurate statement - don't forget about the Confederate States of America. *They* put 'America' in their name and it turned out okay for them, eh?

Anna Conda
2007-09-06, 06:35 PM
Ooh ooh! I know!

"Vespucciland!"

Setra
2007-09-06, 06:43 PM
Microsoftia

Walmartia

Walsoftia!

What?

We're already owned by the two companies.

alexi
2007-09-06, 06:44 PM
The land of Milk and Honey That Saved France From Speaking German

And I think we could just be called Awsomeness

FoE
2007-09-06, 06:48 PM
Why not borrow from Trey Parker and Matt Stone? Keep the America part, but change the full name to:

"America — F**k Yeah!"

Jade_Tarem
2007-09-06, 06:58 PM
"New Europe"? Or is that not arrogant enough?

It's actually the most accurate, as the original inhabitants of the area aren't the ones running it.

And I'd like to add than anyone from Alabama with a measure of intellect severed mental and emotional ties with it long ago. As far as I can tell, cheap property is the primary draw, here.

Gaelbert
2007-09-06, 07:09 PM
The Center of the Universe.

I live in California, and from what I've seen, nearly everyone relates with the nation more than the state. The newspapaers talk about separatists, but I've yet to see them.

averagejoe
2007-09-06, 07:20 PM
This reminds me of something I read/heard (don't remember which,) where the author/speaker mentioned that our country's name is just describing what we are, and that's totally lame. He went on to claim that Briton never would have done so well for itself if it had been named, "Towns on an island."

Scorpina
2007-09-06, 07:21 PM
How about "Oceania?"

No?

Um... Lincolnland?

Pepz
2007-09-06, 07:51 PM
I really like the sound of Canadia for some reason :) it's the name Canada should have picked! :) and as for Terrans, I find that really amusing for some reason :smallbiggrin: Just thinking about 90% of the citizens of the United States of America (yeah Americans is much shorter :smalltongue: ) not knowing what Terra means just tickles my funny bone ;)

O yeah, for all those people who have their location set as Elsewhere, Somewhere, Everywhere, Nowhere, Behind You, Earth and Space, I hereby call upon thee to change thy location to either Trogland or Not on Trogland! Just because it is funny, that's right ;)

StickMan
2007-09-06, 08:16 PM
EDIT: and for the UK folks: The Upstart Colonies of America.

Oh oh I like that one.

I don't feel guilty about the cultural differences between states, I know people from a lot of states, and we don't feel guilt about being different, states, there are some states that are state centric but even then most people from thoughts states will identify as American over there home state even if they think there state is the best one (sorry for the massive run-on).

This is actually a major area of American history study, when did people stop feeling like members of individual states and more as Americans. I've done reports on that topic from grade school and even in to college and my classes have always agreed that at latest we stopped seeing our selfs as individual states after the first world war.

Serpentine
2007-09-06, 10:43 PM
I really like the sound of Canadia for some reason :) it's the name Canada should have picked!
It's what I already call Canada... Hasn't quite caught on yet, though :smallfrown: (Australians > Australia, Albanians > Albania, Canadians > Canadia)

Sticky, I think you misunderstood a little. He was saying that people of the individual states of the United American States would be able to make other people feel guilty about not getting the specific area of origin, similar to how, say, people from Scotland get annoyed if they're called British.

Jack Squat
2007-09-06, 10:51 PM
How about "Oceania?"

I'd agree with that if there wasn't already one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania).

Lincolnland?

That just doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Jeffersonplace

skywalker
2007-09-06, 11:03 PM
Hey, who made a list of state-centric states and forgot Tennessee? We're damned proud of the fact that we care more about other states and the nation more than any of the rest of you. That's right, we're so messed up, we're proud to be Tennesseans because Tennesseans aren't too proud to help somebody else out. Now how messed up is that?

I think Columbia would be a good name too, but we'd get in trouble with that Chavez guy. It is also true that we were here first, so we do get first dibs on naming rights. It's only fair.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 11:05 PM
O yeah, for all those people who have their location set as Elsewhere, Somewhere, Everywhere, Nowhere, Behind You, Earth and Space, I hereby call upon thee to change thy location to either Trogland or Not on Trogland! Just because it is funny, that's right ;)

I support this. Trogland is the best name for any place in the world. Since Trog isn't here, I'm not in Trogland.

StickMan
2007-09-06, 11:19 PM
Sticky, I think you misunderstood a little. He was saying that people of the individual states of the United American States would be able to make other people feel guilty about not getting the specific area of origin, similar to how, say, people from Scotland get annoyed if they're called British.

Ah that makes a lot of senses, leave it to an American to jump the gun.

"Sticky" really now simi cute names may aimed at me used being used by a female poster, may bring LadyOfTheStick out of Lurk mode, and then she will kill us all.:smallwink: (To the many people who do not know LadyOfTheStick is my GF and a very rare poster on this board, see matching avatars in my sig).

Tom_Violence
2007-09-06, 11:21 PM
Ah that makes a lot of scenes, leave it to an American to jump the gun.

"Sticky" really now simi cute names may aimed at me used being used by a female poster, may bring LadyOfTheStick out of Lurk mode, and then she will kill us all. (To the many people who do not know LadyOfTheStick is my GF and a very rare poster on this board, see matching avatars in my sig).

Have you been drinking? If not, way to beat the keyboard.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-06, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...A new name for the United States of America?

My first thought is: Bob. It's short, sweet, easy to spell, due to the fact that it only has two working letters, and the econimic use of the alphabet might start a financial trend. :smallbiggrin:

My next thought is to phonetically say USA. We'll pronounce it "Oo-sah." We'll then spell it properly as "Usa." Almost sounds like it might be some place exotic. "Where'd you vacation?" "Oh, spent some time in Usa." But then we'd probably have to change a lot of the names of various towns and the like to sound equally as exotic. "Moundsville" just ain't gonna cut it in Usa. :smalltongue:

Considering the various socio-politcal aspects of our nation, perhaps "Mess" would be an equally good name. While I will not go into detail for fear of mods coming to beat me in my sleep, think about the people and what we'd be called. We wouldn't have to change a thing! "What nataionality are you?" The simple answer: "I'm a Mess!" :smallwink:

StickMan
2007-09-06, 11:31 PM

Um am I missing something cause I'm up way to late cause all I found was one very silly spelling error. But then I'm very tired so things may be making sense to me that should not. Just for the record I don't drink.

skywalker
2007-09-06, 11:32 PM

Damn, we're getting a little snippy in the friendly banter forum tonight, huh?

I think we've got a movie in the works here:

It was september 2007. Tensions were rising in the GITP forums. A great story-arc ending, coupled with the news of a new edition of D&D, brought an influx of new members to the boards. As these new members began to assert themselves(some with less than perfect english, a couple with *Gasp* leet speak), tempers began to flare among the older members of the boards, lashing out at their comrades, forgetting what a pleasant place this used to be.

KoDT69
2007-09-06, 11:36 PM
Don't get me wrong- I love the USA, it's just unfortunate that some 80% or so of your citizens come across as complete arsehats.

No you're completely wrong on that. The only things about the USA that any other country sees or hears is the bad stuff, and anything produced in movies or other media. You let the 2% that are wealthy enough to force their words on the rest of the world cloud your judgement. The same movies and TV commercials that make everyone think Americans suck are the ones we hate too. Yes we are the only country in the world that claims to be #1. I'm sure that's annoying to some people, but MORE people in the rest of the world tell us that the USA sucks.

As far as the president that the world dislikes, it's a proven statistic 75% of us disapprove of him as well. Even at that, there have been worse leaders of countries. Look on the bright side all you that dislike the USA... We're probably benefitting from our disfunctional government in some way. That 8 TRILLION dollar deficit is cash that went out into the world and never came back. Nothing we buy is truly made in the USA no matter how hard we try. We're supporting Japan, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, and india at the very least. How many countries out there can claim that?

The USA is like Superman with ADD. Once we decide you need help, you're getting it whether you like it or not!

skywalker
2007-09-06, 11:55 PM
No you're completely wrong on that. The only things about the USA that any other country sees or hears is the bad stuff, and anything produced in movies or other media. You let the 2% that are wealthy enough to force their words on the rest of the world cloud your judgement. The same movies and TV commercials that make everyone think Americans suck are the ones we hate too. Yes we are the only country in the world that claims to be #1. I'm sure that's annoying to some people, but MORE people in the rest of the world tell us that the USA sucks.

As far as the president that the world dislikes, it's a proven statistic 75% of us disapprove of him as well. Even at that, there have been worse leaders of countries. Look on the bright side all you that dislike the USA... We're probably benefitting from our disfunctional government in some way. That 8 TRILLION dollar deficit is cash that went out into the world and never came back. Nothing we buy is truly made in the USA no matter how hard we try. We're supporting Japan, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, and india at the very least. How many countries out there can claim that?

The USA is like Superman with ADD. Once we decide you need help, you're getting it whether you like it or not!

We aren't the only country in the world that claims to be #1. Our national debt is 8 trillion dollars. The budget deficit isn't quite there yet. We also need some of that debt to regulate the economy. But not even close to that much.

I also don't see how supporting a large amount of asian countries is benefiting from our own government.

However, as a combination of economic, and military power, caring about the environment(for our size) and other people and cultures, the USA makes a pretty strong claim for #1. It's not arrogance, it's a statement of fact. I don't know how far I can go here, but I'm quite willing to discuss any and all of these points, if any would care to.

KoDT69
2007-09-07, 12:02 AM
We aren't the only country in the world that claims to be #1. Our national debt is 8 trillion dollars.

Does it matter if it's deficit or debt? It all ends up being cash going out and not coming back. :smalleek:

I also don't see how supporting a large amount of asian countries is benefiting from our own government.

What shape would those countries be in if not for us? :smallconfused:

However, as a combination of economic, and military power, caring about the environment(for our size) and other people and cultures, the USA makes a pretty strong claim for #1. It's not arrogance, it's a statement of fact. I don't know how far I can go here, but I'm quite willing to discuss any and all of these points, if any would care to.

I agree. We're #1! :smallbiggrin:

Brickwall
2007-09-07, 12:14 AM

Young grasshoppah. Your insult-fu is strong, but you are unwise. True mastery comes from DISCIPLINE, and you show that you have none by insulting he, who is merely weak from long hours. Your cowardly acts are unbecoming of my school, and I warn you to think, next time, before you dishonor me. :smalltongue:

Personally, I would like to agree with Bor's most recent post. "Mess" and "Usa" are both excellent. Barbarian monks probably had a huge Wisdom requirement back in AD&D.

averagejoe
2007-09-07, 12:14 AM
Of all the posts I've seen ever, stating that the US is #1 is definitely the least likely to incite flaming. :smallsigh:

Now, understand that even if the claims were true that the US is a corrupt, violent cesspool of b**tards, I still wouldn't let people talk badly about it, because it's my cesspool, damnit. However, there's no set of standards that one could use to claim that any country is #1, and bringing it up really doesn't add to anything.

Edit: yes, I meant to get to that. Usa is one of the best suggestions I've seen so far.

Serpentine
2007-09-07, 12:27 AM
:smallsigh:
You couple of guys have pointed out a few of the reasons for wide-spread anti-Americanism right there. If you want more, look up CNNNN. But, as much as I'd like to get properly involved in this sort of a discussion, that's the right way for a whole lot of red text and a little padlock over the thread.
I do quite like "The USA is like Superman with ADD. Once we decide you need help, you're getting it whether you like it or not!", though...

Sticky (yes, Sticky :smalltongue: I also call Conrad Connie, Vonreil Vonners, etc, so don't feel too special :smalltongue:) your writing is a little hard to read... I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but maybe think more carefully about your sentence structure or something?

Also: I, too, like Usa.

Highwarlord
2007-09-07, 12:29 AM
It's interesting that renaming 'les Etats' has been proposed. If you actually consider things, the United States was founded as a confederation of states. Through the electoral college and the legislative branch, you can see that it mostly still is that way. This makes it surprising that people say they are "American" or that their country is the "United States." Surely no renaming is necessary, just know that your state is . . . your state. Californians, Alabamians, and whatnot could all go and refer to their state as their country and have state pride, even when they feel dejected by the status of their country as a whole

Totally Guy
2007-09-07, 03:46 AM

Actually I was the one that was drinking! I used my amazing powers to pass my drunkeness onto a random person that read my post. I feel great this morning but our Stickfriend will have the worst hangover.:smalltongue:

Pepz
2007-09-07, 04:26 AM
you were out drinking too Glug? Same here :smalltongue: and seeing that I don't feel any hangover, I fear Sticky is gonna have a double portion this morning :smallbiggrin:

As for debt, I can't help but thinking that debt is money that you owe other people, not the other way around :) And I just get annoyed by owing a friend 10 trogeuros, how do you people feel owing other people 8 trillion :smalleek:

LCR
2007-09-07, 04:31 AM
Hey, who made a list of state-centric states and forgot Tennessee? We're damned proud of the fact that we care more about other states and the nation more than any of the rest of you. That's right, we're so messed up, we're proud to be Tennesseans because Tennesseans aren't too proud to help somebody else out. Now how messed up is that?

I think Columbia would be a good name too, but we'd get in trouble with that Chavez guy. It is also true that we were here first, so we do get first dibs on naming rights. It's only fair.

Chavez is from Venezuela.

kpenguin
2007-09-07, 04:35 AM
The United People Democratic Federal Republic of the Land Area Between Mexico and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii.

LCR
2007-09-07, 04:37 AM
Just call yourself the Federation, found Starfleet and be happy with it. All the Trekkies in the world will be jealous.

Emperor Ing
2007-09-07, 04:41 AM
Call it just like how you pronounce the abbreviation

Youessay anyone? :smallsmile:

LCR
2007-09-07, 04:45 AM
Sounds French to me. You don't want to be French, do you?

Emperor Ing
2007-09-07, 04:52 AM
:eek: Very good point, but it doesnt sound french to me. Sounds more...Youessayan. :smallwink:

FoE
2007-09-07, 05:14 AM
I'VE GOT IT!!!

The United States of Awesome!!! :smallbiggrin:

LCR
2007-09-07, 05:16 AM
:eek: Very good point, but it doesnt sound french to me. Sounds more...Youessayan. :smallwink:

It looks French, though.

I'VE GOT IT!!!

The United States of Awesome!!! :smallbiggrin:

Please, kill me.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-07, 05:40 AM
The Microsoftia sounds good to me.

*offers cookie to the playgrounder who thought of it*

Maryring
2007-09-07, 05:46 AM
Out of all the Norwegians I have ever met, only one liked USA. Everyone else... go guess. American culture is thoroughly loathed in Norway. Yay for hypocrisy. :smallannoyed:

In my opinion, USA could change into US. United States. "Where do you come from?" "I come from the states". It's already a semicommon practice here in Norway to refer to USA as "the states".

Rad
2007-09-07, 06:05 AM
In my opinion, USA could change into US. United States. "Where do you come from?" "I come from the states". It's already a semicommon practice here in Norway to refer to USA as "the states".

That's a common shortening here too. However it feels very weirs to read about the Usa thing since, well, that is how we pronounce it (and doesn't sound French to me) so... not quite exotic:smallfrown:

As to the #1 thing... if you stopped to claim that some people will no longer think that you need to be taught humbleness and probably be more friendly. I'll give you that the image that the US have abroad is more about Hollywood and the actions of your government than about the feelings and values of the people (some would like you to do something about it though)

Tom_Violence
2007-09-07, 06:47 AM
Young grasshoppah. Your insult-fu is strong, but you are unwise. True mastery comes from DISCIPLINE, and you show that you have none by insulting he, who is merely weak from long hours. Your cowardly acts are unbecoming of my school, and I warn you to think, next time, before you dishonor me. :smalltongue:

Never!!! Mastery comes from relentless practice, preferrably against those who are already only semi-conscious! To hell with your school! Today, I play truant!

Besides, who can really pass up a sentence like "simi cute names may aimed at me used being used by a female poster"? No one. Its impossible! You're all just jealous that I beat you to it! :smalltongue:

StickMan
2007-09-07, 07:02 AM
Actually I was the one that was drinking! I used my amazing powers to pass my drunkeness onto a random person that read my post. I feel great this morning but our Stickfriend will have the worst hangover.:smalltongue:

Oh god, Glug why why did you do this to me. Its like I'm inside a church bell and the light its so bright, one sec need to put on my sunglasses:smallcool: , better. Oh crud have to go to the bathroom.....

Tom_Violence
2007-09-07, 07:12 AM
Of all the posts I've seen ever, stating that the US is #1 is definitely the least likely to incite flaming. :smallsigh:

Now, understand that even if the claims were true that the US is a corrupt, violent cesspool of b**tards, I still wouldn't let people talk badly about it, because it's my cesspool, damnit. However, there's no set of standards that one could use to claim that any country is #1, and bringing it up really doesn't add to anything.

Edit: yes, I meant to get to that. Usa is one of the best suggestions I've seen so far.

Abkhazia is #1 on my list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries)!

No doubt by this stage many of you are probably wondering why I'm here...

Charity
2007-09-07, 07:51 AM
Tom, Tom, Tom.

Abkhazia’s independence is not recognized by any international organization or country and it is recognised as an autonomous republic of Georgia (Georgian: აფხაზეთის ავტონომიური რესპუბლიკა, Abkhaz: Аҧснытәи Автономтәи Республика), with Sukhumi as its capital
My emphisis
From your own source I'd say it was Afghanistan.

:tongue:

Tom_Violence
2007-09-07, 08:00 AM
Tom, Tom, Tom.

My emphisis
From your own source I'd say it was Afghanistan.

:tongue:

Well, 'my' list is really Wikipedia's list of countries, so there. :smalltongue: The first entry could've been Disneyland for all I care. Independent or not, Abkhazia is still top of the list!

Ditto
2007-09-07, 08:34 AM
Saying you're from the States is a good way to avoid the "Americans" problem... but y'know, those countries out there with states are going to start complaining soon. :smallsmile: Stupid uppity Australians... and the Confederates again will grouse, too. How do you get a noun out of that, though? Statesian doesn't really work... what *does* work is Awesome-an.

"There goes that ponce from the states, look at him capitalistizing everywhere!"
"Oh yeah? I've never met an Awesoman before!"

Angafirith
2007-09-07, 08:38 AM
Los Estados Unidos.

We could call ourselves "Estadians" or something.

Jack Squat
2007-09-07, 08:45 AM
Los Estados Unidos.

We could call ourselves "Estadians" or something.

Why in the world would we name ourselves in Spanish?

ok...before anyone else does, I'll quote RvB

"of course I can speak Spanish, it's 2500 and I'm from America, duh"

Scorpina
2007-09-07, 08:51 AM
Ooh, ooh, I thought of one "The Republic of Gilead."

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-07, 09:56 AM
Personally, I would like to agree with Bor's most recent post. "Mess" and "Usa" are both excellent. Barbarian monks probably had a huge Wisdom requirement back in AD&D.
Didn't like "Bob," eh? And here I thought simplicity would win out. :smalltongue:

Quincunx
2007-09-07, 10:01 AM
You can't name a planet Bob!

Wait, wrong reference. . .I do like 'Mess' as an adjective, whether referring back to that spill on the bed or that place where people eat.

Indon
2007-09-07, 10:07 AM
Just call yourself the Federation, found Starfleet and be happy with it. All the Trekkies in the world will be jealous.

You mean the "United Federation of Planets America"?

Brickwall
2007-09-07, 10:19 AM
You can't name a planet Bob!

Titan A.E. references, while awesome, are of little use since they deal with outer space. Sorry.

Okay, will all the people who are sickened any time a Ussian shows patriotic pride leave, since we'll be doing a lot of that here? We don't say anything when you all come in prideful of your country (and you do seem to), and it's well out of your place to be hypocritical about the issue. :smallannoyed:

So, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, continue the silliness, and let all our critics go away! :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-09-07, 10:32 AM
Sorry but I don't agree with your post in spirit or word Brickwall.

I am sure you don't purport to speak for all American patriots, nor should you assume anything of the motives or history of those that seek to puncture your pride or lump them together as one entity.
Nor should you be warning folk away from your this thread

I have no axe to grind on the subject of American patriotism, but the thread is not your ball and you cannot take it home.

Brickwall
2007-09-07, 10:55 AM
Sorry but I don't agree with your post in spirit or word Brickwall.

I am sure you don't purport to speak for all American patriots, nor should you assume anything of the motives or history of those that seek to puncture your pride or lump them together as one entity.
Nor should you be warning folk away from your this thread

I have no axe to grind on the subject of American patriotism, but the thread is not your ball and you cannot take it home.

So...every time someone says, "I think Usa should have a name that proclaims that we are awesome," and then someone responds, "No, that's stupid, and so are you," [paraphrased, all of that] I shouldn't think that they're possibly being a little over the top? I think it is, whatever their "motives" and "history" might be.

Charity
2007-09-07, 11:31 AM
No..
You should not try to blanket ban disagreeing with the consensus.
You should not assume that folk are being serious at all times, particularily around here.
You should respond to posters individually and not try to pigeonhole all dissenters into the same catagory.
You might want to grow a sense of humour.
You should not allow yourself to be drawn into off topic pointless arguments.

Lilly
2007-09-07, 11:36 AM
The Fairy Modmother: This thread was okay for just a little while. And then it went *boom*. And is now locked while I look at it.