PDA

View Full Version : Pit fiend playable race?

quillfinger
2018-05-25, 05:49 PM
Hey all, pretty new to this forum, so I hope this is an ok place to put this. I have an npc that's a pit fiend who shows up in campaigns I run quite a bit, and my friend has been talking about running a level 20 5e campaign just for fun. I'm wondering if any of you know of a pit fiend playable race out there? I've done a bit of looking and haven't found one, so maybe advice on a good way to create one myself? Any and all help is appreciated!

Morphic tide
2018-05-25, 06:37 PM
Well, if you mean using the Pit Fiend as an NPC, you don't need a race in any way, shape or form, as you can just recalculate CR to fit whatever given . As a PC, the sheer variety that Pit Fiends offer, in addition to the power of them, means that a racial class is probably your best bet. What I mean by "racial class" is a concept borrowed from the Warcraft RPG, where the version of LA they used was to make a class representing the race you picked that went until the race ran out of features for the player to acquire. Similar to the Savage Progression from Savage Species, but every level has a hit die.

While I don't know the current Devil lore for 5e, 3.X had Devils go up the rankings in a strict hierarchy (except where it branched, like Chain Devils), so a Pit Fiend racial class would involve shifting up that same chain, starting as a Lemure and shifting up the chain, type by type. Because it's a fairly strict progression, there'd be no real subclasses to it. Subclasses on racial classes would be for racial variants, like choosing what type of Dragon one is.