PDA

View Full Version : Help me name this PrC please

CopperElfCleric
2018-05-28, 08:01 AM
By default I named it Shadow Trickster, but I'd like a better name for this PrC. Any help would be greatly welcomed.

The Shadow Trickster (specialty cleric of any Trickster deity)

Some Elven folk have always feared the starless night, barring themselves behind doors or comforting themselves with bonfires when the shadows grow long, rightfully wary of the creatures that prowl the darkness. Yet long ago, some Clerics of Erevan Ilesere learned that the best way to conquer an enemy in the shadows is to embrace it. These were the first Shadow tricksters. As a specialty Cleric of Erevan Ilesere, you gain the innate ability to feel the divine connection of Trickery and Shadows. She uses the weave of Faerun to access the Plane of Shadow directly. She is intimately familiar with the shadows around her and her divine connection to Erevan Ilesere. Her innate ability with shadows and Trickery combine to grant her these special abilities. Shadow tricksters exist in the boundary between light and darkness, where they weave together the shadows to become half-seen artists of deception. Your Trickery and Shadows are unequal as a Shadow Trickster of Erevan Ilesere.

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements: To qualify to become a Shadow Trickster, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf or Half Elf, Halfling, Gnome, Fey or Human.

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Disguise 5 ranks, Disable device 6 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Hide 10 ranks, Move silently 6 ranks, sleight of hand 5 ranks, Concentration 2 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks, Escape Artist 2 ranks.

Feats: Any Metamagic feat, Sacred Outlaw.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3'rd level Divine spells. Must have the Trickery domain.

Special: +2d6 Sneak attack ability. Must have a trickster god as a Patron Deity.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Disable Device, Escape artist, Heal, Hide, Intuit direction, Jump, Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move silently, Open lock, Sleight of hand, Profession, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble, Use magic device, Use rope, Wilderness lore.

Skill points at each level- 6 + Int mod.

Class Features: Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Shadow Trickster's are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. ST's are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Spells per day: A shadow trickster's training focuses on divine magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of ST, she gains new spells per day as if she also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Consecrated Deceiver: At 1'st level the shadow trickster gains the ability to add her shadow trickster class levels to stack with her Sacred Outlaw feat. For example, a 5'th level cleric/ 3'rd level rogue/ 3'rd level shadow trickster Turns undead as a 11'th level cleric, and deals +6d6 points of damage on a successful sneak attack. Furthermore, if she also has the Divine Scoundrel class ability from the Mischiefmaker prestige class, then this ability also stacks with both of those.

Shadow Domain: At 1'st level, the shadow trickster gains access to the Shadow domain, and with it the granted power of that domain. Shadow tricksters who were once clerics essentially gain a third domain this way and can prepare their domain spells at each level from the new domain’s list if they wish.

Surprise Shadowcasting: At 1'st level, whenever you catch an opponent flat-footed or denied their Dexterity bonus to AC (not simply flanked) and you cast a spell from the Shadow Domain, the spell receives a +1 divine bonus to the DC for catching them off-guard. This bonus increases by 1 every four levels beyond 1st (5th, 9th, etc).

Mantle of Shadows: A 2'nd level shadow trickster can cloak her form in shifting shadows. This ability provides her with a variable amount of concealment depending on her level.

While her cloak of shadow is active, attacks against a shadow trickster have a miss chance equal to 15% + 5% per class level to a maximum of 40% at 5th level). Darkvision and low-light vision offer no help in piercing the cloak of shadow, although any creature that can see in magical darkness can ignore the miss chance, as can a creature with true seeing. A shadow trickster can dismiss or resume this effect as a free action. While her cloak of shadow is active, a shadow trickster can make Hide checks as if she had concealment.

Cloak of shadow does function in daylight, and it is the equivalent of a 3rd-level deeper darkness effect for the purpose of interacting with light spells.

Deceptive Weapon: A 3'rd level shadow trickster is counted as flanking any creature currently attacked by one of her spiritual weapon spells, and therefore gets an automatic sneak attack attempt against that opponent as a swift action.

Spontaneous Shadows: A 4'th level shadow trickster gain the ability to spontaneously cast any spells from the Shadow domain by losing a prepared spell slot of the same level (much like the cleric ability to cast cure spell spontaneously). If the shadow trickster was a spontaneous caster already she gain an additional spell per day for each level she can cast, those spells may only be used to cast spells from the Shadow domain.

Conceal Shadowcasting: At 5'th level you can cast a spell from the Shadow domain without revealing that you are doing so. Make a Sleight of Hand check as part of the action used to cast the spell, opposed by the Spot checks of onlookers. If you are successful, an observer can't tell that you're casting a spell. That observer cannot make an attack of opportunity against you for casting, nor can it attempt to counter your spell.

Tricksters Mask: At 6'th level the shadow trickster is able to create a shimmering, midnight blue mask to form around her face as a free action. It does not impede your vision, cannot be physically removed, completely hides your features, and continuously grants Undetectable Alignment as the spell, as well as gaining a +5 competence bonus on saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities. In addition, the shadow trickster may cast Hideous Laughter and Irresistible Dance while wearing the Tricksters Mask one time a day each.

Umbral Mask: At 7'th level the shadow trickster is able to create a pitch black mask to form around her face as a free action. It does not impede your vision, cannot be physically removed, completely hides your features, and continuously grants Displacement as the spell, plus the shadow trickster gains a superior form of darkvision with a 60-foot range. She can see through any form of normal or magical darkness without hindrance. In addition, she may cast Shadowspray and Friend to Foe while wearing the Umbral Mask one time a day each.

Afraid of the Shadows: At 8'th level the shadow trickster may draw forth a twisted reflection of your foe from the Plane of Shadow. The image unerringly touches the subject, causing Wisdom damage equal to 1d6 points +1 point per four caster levels (maximum +5). A Will saving throw halves the Wisdom damage.

Master of Sable Tricks: A 9'th level shadow trickster gains the ability to cast any spell from the Shadow domain as a swift action after successfully dealing sneak attack damage. Additionally if she casts any spells from the Shadow domain with their normal casting time, they are automatically extended, as per the Extend spell feat.

Superior Shadow Tricks: When a shadow trickster reaches 10'th level, the strength of the effects created by her shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, greater shadow conjuration, greater shadow evocation, and shades spells increases by 20%. That is, these spells are an additional 20% likely to affect disbelieving creatures and deal 20% more damage.

(All spell-like abilities are cast at total character caster level)

The Shadow Trickster TABLE 1:1

Base Attack
Level Bonus Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Consecrated Deceiver,
Shadow Domain, Surprise Shadowcasting +1 +1 spellcasting level

2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Mantle of Shadows +1 spellcasting level

3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Deceptive Weapon +1 spellcasting level

4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Spontaneous Shadows,
Surprise Shadowcasting +2 +1 spellcasting level

5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Conceal Shadowcasting +1 spellcasting level

6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Tricksters Mask +1 spellcasting level

7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Umbral Mask +1 spellcasting level

8th +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Afraid of the Shadows +1 spellcasting level

9th +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 Master of Sable Tricks,
Surprise Shadowcasting +3 +1 spellcasting level

10th +7/+2 +3 +7 +7 Superior Shadow Tricks +1 spellcasting level

Shadow Domain (Eberron Campaign Setting 108)

Core Deities: Nerull.
Eberron Deities: The Shadow.
Other Deities: Xan Yae.

Granted Power: You gain Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.

Shadow Domain Spells

1. Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
2. Darkness: 20' radius of supernatural shadow.
3. Deeper Darkness: Object sheds supernatural shadow in 60' radius.
4. Shadow Conjuration: Mimics conjuration below 4th level, but only 20% real.
5. Shadow Evocation: Mimics evocation below 5th level, but only 20% real.
6. Shadow Walk: Step into shadow to travel rapidly.
7. Shadow Conjuration, Greater: As shadow conjuration, but up to 6th level and 60% real.
8. Shadow Evocation, Greater: As shadow evocation, but up to 7th level and 60% real.
9. Shades: As shadow conjuration, but up to 8th level and 80% real.

All comments and critique are welcome,

CEC

CopperElfCleric
2018-05-30, 10:25 AM
This friday will be the first time I put this PrC through a game session. I'll have feedback on saturday. :)

CopperElfCleric
2018-05-31, 09:06 AM
I revised the Tricksters Mask ability.

CopperElfCleric
2018-06-06, 03:36 PM
Going to test play it again this weekend with a bigger group. Anyone have any suggestions?

CopperElfCleric
2018-06-17, 06:46 PM
I went with shadow trickster as default, but would like a different name. Any help would be welcomed.

Maat Mons
2018-06-17, 09:24 PM
This is very specific. Perhaps you could broaden it out a little.

The options for required races don't really seem connected to each other. Elves, halflings, gnomes, and humans don't have any unifying theme that I can think of. Does the class even need to be restricted by race?

I wouldn't explicitly require the Sacred Outlaw feat. You're already requiring sneak attack and a domain. That's mostly going to mean Cleric/Rogue multiclass characters will be taking this class. If they want to take Sacred Outlaw to stack those class levels, that's their business. But I don't think you should force them to.

This class doesn't have any connection to the trickster domain that I can find, so I don't know why it's a requirement. If you're looking to gear the class toward clerics of thematically-appropriate deities, I say something like "Must have access to one of the following domains: darkness, illusion, shadow, trickery."

Stacking with Sacred Outlaw basically just means stacking with cleric for turn undead, and stacking with rogue for sneak attack. So, instead of dragging that feat into things, why not just say "Your shadow trickster levels stack with your cleric level for purposes of your turn undead ability." And "Your shadow trickster levels stack with your rogue levels for purposes of your sneak attack."

Actually, I wouldn't stack it with rogue for sneak attack. I'd do like most sneak-attack-advancing prestige classes do. Just give "+1d6 sneak attack" at certain levels. You could copy unseen seer, and grant it at 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th.

Okay, so it looks to me like you wrote this class because you wanted to have the shadow domain while worshiping a deity that doesn't normally offer it. In order to allow that, while still giving some freedom for characters who have other goals, how about giving the player the choice of either darkness, illusion, shadow, or trickery as a bonus domain?

Or since the only reason for including the shadow domain seems to be granting access to the shadow conjuration/evocation spells, you could just directly add those spells to your spell list. Or, heck, add all of the "illusion (shadow)" spells from the sorcerer/wizard list to your spell list.

Tying a class feature to exactly one spell (spiritual weapon) doesn't really allow players to make the class work for a broad variety of characters.

So, as this class stands right now, it's only at 4th level that you gain the ability to cast the shadow conjuration/evocation spells more than once per day each. I get the impression that those spells are meant to be a big part of the class, so you might want to allow that earlier. I don't mean by moving spontaneous casting up. I mean if you take my earlier suggestion of actually adding those spells to the character's spell list, they can prepare any number of those spells in their regular slots.

So, the concealing Shadowcasting thing kind of duplicates Still Spell + Silent Spell, except there's no increase to spell slot, it only works on 9 spells, and you have to make a skill check. Have you considered something that literally just lets you apply the Still and Silent Spell feats to a limited range of spells with no level cost? Maybe even all illusion spells? You might want to require still/silent as perquisites for the prestige class in that case though.

If you decide to make this class inherently about the shadow conjuration/evocation line of spells, keep the capstone as is. Otherwise, I'd recommend giving the player a choice of a few abilities and +20% realness being one of them.

Actually, if you decide that increased realness for shadow spells is going to be a mandatory part of the class, not just an option the character can pick, you might want to make it +10% at 5th level, and another +10% at 10th level.

I feel I should point out that unseen seer is a prestige class that advances arcane casting and sneak attack, and gives access to divination spells from other class lists. You're making a prestige class that advances divine casting and sneak attack, and gives access to illusion spells not on your class list. In a sense, you could view your class as a partial inversion of unseen seer.

Maat Mons
2018-06-18, 03:51 AM
After giving it some more though, here's my take on the class:

Skills: Bluff 8, Hide 8, Knowledge (religion) 4, Move Silently 4.
Feats: Silent spell, Still spell.
Domain: Access to the Darkness domain, the Illusion domain, the Shadow domain, or the Trickery domain.

Hit Die: d8

LevelAttackFortRefWillSpecialSpellcasting
1st0022Expanded spell list+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd1033Darkvision+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3rd2133Damage bonus +1d6+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4th3144Silent illusions+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5th3144Powerful shadow magic +10%+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6th4255Damage bonus +2d6+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7th5255Piercing darkvision+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8th6266Still illusions+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9th6366Damage bonus +3d6+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
10th7377Powerful shadow magic +20%+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Open lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot.

Expanded Spell List:
Add the following spells to the spell list of one divine spellcasting class you posses levels in.
1: disguise self, magic aura
2: blur, invisibility, misdirection
3: displacement, nondetection
4: greater invisibility, phantasmal killer, shadow conjuration
5: false vision, seeming, shadow evocation
6: mislead, veil
7: mass invisibility, greater shadow conjuration
8: screen, greater shadow evocation
9: shades, weird

Darkvision (Ex):
Gain darkvision to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision, instead improve the range by 60 feet.

Damage Bonus (Ex):
Add +xd6 to a preexisting sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish ability. If you did not already have one of these abilities, you gain no benefit.

Silent Illusions:
All illusion spells you cast gain the benefit of the silent spell feat. This does not require a higher level spell slot or increase the casting time.

Powerful Shadow Magic (Su):
Shadow conjuration, greater shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, greater shadow evocation, and shades retain more effectiveness when disbelieved. +10% at 5th level. +20% at 10th level.

Piercing Darkvision (Su):
You can see through magical darkness withing the range of your darkvision.

Still Illusions:
All illusion spells you cast gain the benefit of the still spell feat. This does not require a higher level spell slot or increase the casting time.

CopperElfCleric
2018-06-18, 08:47 AM
Thank you Maat! I agree with most of what you suggested and created. I am trying to create the PrC for a Forgotten Realms based character that is an elven cleric/ rogue of Erevan Ilesere; the elven god of mischief, rogues, trickery and change. And yes, I wanted him to be able to cast shadow spells as I see most trickery, mischief and rogue work being done in the shadows. But unfortunately and for some odd reason IMO, the shadow domain or Illusion domain are not in a divine casters choice. I do want to stick with Sacred Outlaw and stack on top of that so that by 20th level he can turn/destroy undead as a 20th level cleric and sneak attack as a 20th level rogue.

The domains for Erevan Ilesere are Trickery, Chaos, Luck, Elf. AS a god of elven rogues and trickery I just thought the Shadow domain was appropriate. I hope that helps you with better insight.

CEC