PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Artificer Roleplay help

username1
2018-06-06, 09:49 AM
Im making a artificer for our next campaign and I'm having a little trouble coming up with his personality. In dnd I prefer the role-play aspect more than the others. Im looking for a good personality and traits to give him but came up dry. It needs to be interesting and not boring. I really dislike playing a character who is adventuring because "He's a ragtag fighter who wants gold because its shiny. He does everything right and is almost like its just me in game" Can anyone give me some ideas? Its a Alchemist Artificer that needs to have interesting role-play opportunities. Thanks

Arcangel4774
2018-06-06, 10:35 AM
You could do a decent job of playing him as a scientist whos funds have run dry and is looking to bankroll his own research Unfortunately only adventuring could fund your work so you begrudgingly go on adventures. Play it like fighting and most other adventuring work is a hastle, unless you face a particularly interesting foe.

JeffreyGator
2018-06-06, 02:13 PM
I recently played an artificer that had worked with a police force. Did a bit of forensics and had some minor healing first aid help. The character wanted to figure stuff out an didn't believe that powers were magic but rather tricks or Science!

CSI and Sherlock Holmes meets DnD.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-06, 11:36 PM
Currently running an Alchemist Artificer myself.

He was part of an arranged marriage with a childhood friend that was supposed to financially save his family, but turns out his fiancee is broke. He fled to the adventuring life originally to escape his responsibility. Now if it got out that her family was broke, they would be completely disgraced.

So now he adventures for profit, to save the reputation of his best friend growing up, who is now his wife, and whom he is beginning to develop real feelings of affection for.

Because of the sense of urgency, he is constantly pushing limits and poling holes to squeeze every last ounce of profit from a dungeon he can. All while trying to maintain the family image and honor.

But enough about me, some classic Artificer tropes:

Absent minded proffessor.
Man who wants to make things burn.
Dr. Victor von Frankenstein
A gentle naturalist who constantly sketches wild life so that he can copy them into mechanical patterns.

A talented drop out focused on brewing narcotics.
Alternatively: the Dad from breaking bad.

An Alchemist on the grand quest to create the ultimate perfume, cooking seasoning, aftershave, or floor wax. Obsessed with all things related to said quest.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-06, 11:51 PM
An alchemist artificer who is looking for the cure to all diseases or eternal life or something along those lines but not for himself/herself but for a child or other loved one

stoutstien
2018-06-07, 01:10 PM
Ah, my favorite class. Personal favorite flavor is ethier a mad scientist bent on fixing the world by unlocking the secrets of magic or Dr who style researcher. May I ask which version of the artificers you're using? The UA left a lot to be desired but there are few good ones floating around.

Vykryl
2018-06-07, 04:45 PM
My Artificer was a gunsmith rather than alchemist. He was adventuring to gather money and materials to build his various contraptions. If fortunate enough, maybe some schematics and books as well