PDA

View Full Version : The Mysterious Evil



Slartibartfast
2007-09-07, 06:17 PM
GM

Hello World! Welcome to the reincarnation of The Mysterious Evil, comedy D&D game that has no visible purpose!

Posting Rules:
((OOC chat done in double parenthesis))
"Talking should be done in your character color and quotation marks"
Thoughts should be in your character color and italicized.
Your character name should be at the top of your post in Bold and may be in your character color.

The character color in the example was green, but you may pick any one you like. If two characters pick the same color, we'll sort that out when it happens.

Slartibartfast
2007-09-07, 06:18 PM
The King's Throne room is large, and appropriately decorated. The Royal Guard closes the door behind you as the group enters the room.

Map Spoiler:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/Mysterious%20Evil/KingsThroneRoom.png

Map Key:
G = Royal Guard
M = King's Advisor (a Mage)
K = The King.
Brown Border = Door
Grey border = Stone or Rock wall (stone here)

((Newbie Note: I placed you as the first letter of your character's name. I'll change it to your color when I know what that is, but for now Ronold is green and Friar Krispen is red.))

((Newbie Note: The character color of the King is red. The character color of his Advisor is blue.))

"Ah! Renaud, Shia, Heredoth, I see you have returned with some new recruits to replenish your fighting force. Do you deem yourselves ready for my next task?"

BurntOfferings
2007-09-08, 02:29 PM
"Good" Friar Krispen

The halfling doesn't wait for an introduction from his taller companions. Stepping forward, he offers a barely minimal bow and says, "Greetings, oh King. I am Krispen Tealeaf, cleric of the great and terrible goddess Vulkoria, may her mountains forever smoke. What task do you have for us?"

Krursk
2007-09-10, 06:17 AM
Renaud de Mountaban

((Renauld will take teal as his color because I feel like having a character color now))

Renaud says nothing, remaining in stoic silence, knowing that if he speaks, it will ruin the image. Glancing around, he notices the guards have slightly better security measures in place on their moneybelts, although he does a quick Detect Good on all of the rooms occupants for the sheer thrill of never having used it before.

Firesong
2007-09-10, 08:51 AM
Heradoth

"Ready? I deem we are, your Majesty." Heradoth remains stationary, although his robes continue to sway - it isn't clear whether it's momentum they picked up when he walked or due to an unseen breeze - and make him appear somewhat like a creature from the afterlife himself when taken with the glowing red eyes typical in elves from (very much) warmer regions.

FreakyName
2007-09-10, 05:38 PM
Ronald

Ronald chose to stay silent and near the back, deciding its better to let those who've met the king speak to him. For now the goblin would only watch and listen.

Slartibartfast
2007-09-11, 12:09 AM
"Very well. Send in the Scroll with the new information."

Apologies for the cliffhanger, but I have to go to bed now and can't describe the next part right now. Expect my posting to suck a bit due to homework and occur only in later hours (after homework has been finished).

Slartibartfast
2007-09-11, 06:32 PM
The messenger boy brings back a scroll to the king.

Some servants spread out a large table and place chairs around it for each of you. The scroll sits before him on the table, still sealed.

"Come, Be seated. This is a matter of grave importance, and you won't want to be on your feet when you find out."

The king's adviser mutters something in his ear, apparently taking his leave, and vanishes in a BANG and a poof of smoke.

BurntOfferings
2007-09-12, 09:39 AM
Krispen

"Grave importance, you say? Well then, it's a good thing we count a necromancer in our number!" The halfling takes a seat at the table, chuckling at his own joke. He stares intently at the scroll, curious as to what's written inside.

Slartibartfast
2007-09-12, 09:58 AM
The King smirks at the Friar's joke. "You know, that might very well be true."

((As a side thing here, I was using this as a posting regularity check, to see how often I should expect you guys to post, and see how much time I have to think up the next adventures.))

Slartibartfast
2007-09-12, 06:26 PM
((Gonna assume you all move up and sit down for now. I seated Taquar too so there could be an even number of seats, no other good reason. :P BTW I update that map there on the link almost every time I post, so you can look at it and it will be different.))

"Well then, now that you are seated, we shall begin."
He picks up the scroll, deftly breaks the seal with years of practice, and lays it out on the table. The scroll reads:

Great King Rafelonious,

Please heed our plea! Here in the village of
in the village of Galorina, merchants and
commonfolk alike are found dead in their
beds, only to rise from the grave and seek
out and attack those who were once their
friends! And also there are rats coming to
the village bringing in a vile plague that
hangs about one as a green cloud of putrid
stench so thick you can actually see it!
Those who contract this plague are soon
found as zombies haunting us further! We
cry to you to help us before we are all
slain!

Eldarin, Elder of Galorina

"As you can see, they are having a little bit of trouble down there. I thought it was a hoax, so outrageous it seemed. But this here is the tenth letter this fortnight, and it's high time I sent someone to investigate. I want you five, uh, six-" He looks doubtfully at Taquar the Skeleton for a moment. "-and go see what's going on down there, and fix it if you can. I'll be waiting here. You're going to be one of my elite squadrons right now, as I am in desperate need of more. There are too many troubles in the land right now, and I cannot attend to them all at once... Regardless, these are your orders. Talk to the people, especially the elder, and try to find out what's going on. Please try and handle whatever it is yourself, I don't have many resources to spare. I need more good men like you to help me keep the land in one piece, it is going to be a difficult path. Do you accept? Will you travel this difficult road with me?"

FreakyName
2007-09-13, 07:52 AM
Ronald

Ronald grimaced at the news. Undead were hard to kill, and green gas even harder. In a slightly higher than could be expected pitch Ronald said,
"With all due respect, that sounds scary and deadly. Your road is one I don't even want to be near let alone travel on. Got anything less plague and undead filled? Ya'know, maybe you need the candy from a baby taken or your advisor's pockets picked. I think that'd be a lot safer for me, a lot more rewarding too."

Krursk
2007-09-14, 05:54 AM
Renaud

Renaud pipes in his two cents Seems to me, all we need to do is kill the rats. Then we just sit outside of the town and pick off anything that tries to escape. Worst comes to worse, we torch the place off the map. Undead won't be a problem anyway, we have a Paladin

Firesong
2007-09-14, 06:47 AM
"As effective as your plan sounds," Heradoth comments dryly, "The fact that the plague seems to be hanging around in a green cloud and raising those who die from it as undead seems to indicate that even if we do kill the rats and impose a quarantine on the town, something will remain after we leave; furthermore, it's entirely possible that that something will attempt to kill us while we sleep for interfering with is." That should be enough to demonstrate the necessity of actually dealing with the problem. Neat trick, though, that cloud, he reflected.

BurntOfferings
2007-09-14, 10:12 AM
Krispen

"Torching the place is good. Fire has always been used to purge the land of various blights. The zombies will cower before the divine might of Vulkoria, so we have little to fear from them. I must confess that the green mist sounds very interesting, though. I wonder if it will be possible to collect a sample for study?

"So, oh King, where is this little hamlet? I confess my knowledge of geography isn't what it could be."

Slartibartfast
2007-09-15, 09:48 AM
The king pulls out a map and points out the village for you. He also says you can keep the map.

"Remember though, these are peoples' homes. I would like to believe we can save torching the village as a last resort. There are still many people left, and they want their houses in tact. I need to keep as much peace between me and the people as I can. You probably don't know, as I have been stifling the rumors, but much of the kingdom is suffering in similarly disturbing and unexplained ways. This is as much a peacekeeping mission as it is a purging mission. Remember, you are my emissaries, and as such should watch yourselves. I'm just trying to keep the kingdom from revolting and to hold it in one piece..."

You realize now how tired the king is. He seems like he hasn't slept well all month, maybe even longer. Sitting up with late night reports, worrying about what will happen to his poor kingdom, teetering around the news of horrible happenings all over his little world. This guy's had it rough; it's kinda amazing he's held up this long.

"Well, I am afraid we must part ways now. The servants will help you with whatever you need for the coming journey, but I have too many other matters to attend to now, if you'll excuse me."

Gracefully, a pair of guards come up to escort you out.

Krursk
2007-09-16, 04:56 AM
Renaud

Renaud takes the map ((because someone has to)) and walks out the door. While outside, and conveniantely out of earshot of the guards he begins a talk about the game plan. I think we should still keep "torch the town" as a backup plan. It is possible that adventurers have a better chance than commoners at resisting the cloud

BurntOfferings
2007-09-18, 09:31 AM
Krispen

"Burning works for me, but I grudgingly accept that there may be other, possibly even better, ways.

"So, when do we leave?"

I see that www.rpgwebprofiler.net has been down a few days. Is it coming back? I should've left the good friar on tangledweb. :smalltongue:

Slartibartfast
2007-09-18, 09:57 PM
OOC POST

Sorry I been gone awhile. Homework calls ya know? Friar, You still are on both sites. And both sites do that occasionally, you know that!

Either do a little more roleplay of plan-making or tell me you're gonna head out on your adventure to the little village. Just talk to the DM when you wish to start the next part of the story and begin thy journey! And now the game descends into video-game style... I hope not.

Krursk
2007-09-19, 07:23 AM
Renaud

Renaud goes and checks how much stuff he can requisition for zombie fighting purposes (Lots of burning oil. For "zombie" burning. Definately not houses. Also, as many masterwork/special material weapons we can take without having to return. For "zombie fighting". Not selling for gold.) He also checks if the party can get some form of royal discount on shop weapons. Other than that, he's ready to leave.

Slartibartfast
2007-09-21, 08:43 AM
Roll Bluff Renaud. These guys might not be total morons.

Tola
2007-09-23, 11:41 AM
((Can I roll Sense Motive vs that as well?))

"In our last little 'trip', some of us were forced to melee, and were nearly killed because of it, because we had no ranged weapons. Might I ask whether there are any we can take? Though Undead tend to be...resiliant against these, it's still a better option than having to charge in and let the...*His voice turns into a thing of sheer hate for a second*things*Back to normal* tear at us."

His hometown has encountered Undead a grand total of once. Once was enough to put a deep fear/hatred into his heart.

His next words are almost to himself, though out loud.

"...We'll need to crush their bones. Even fire doesn't STOP them-not till they're nothing but ash. Burn a walking zombie, and now you've got a FLAMING corpse attacking you, infecting you with powers-know-what, and burning you to boot. As if dealing with a simple WALKING corpse wasn't bad enough, what with the resistance to pain and all. They don't care what you do to them, so you need to stop them moving."

Slartibartfast
2007-09-23, 07:30 PM
((Go ahead and roll Tola. I may end up rolling for Renaud if he takes too long, but I'm expecting this to be slow paced and it isn't even combat so I'll let him slide for now.))

Ignoring Renaud until he makes his Bluff roll for game mechanics reasons, a servant nods to Tola. "Gettin' something ranged against the Undead would be a wise idea. Haven't had many attacking in my lifetime but they's right nasty beasts; almost got my arm tore off by a zombie once." The man's eyes wanders back to Taquar and he quickly mutters some apology/excuse almost inaudibly, and recovers by asking what kind of weapons you might be needing (bows, slings, etc.).

Krursk
2007-09-25, 09:40 PM
((TTW is giving me problems with viewing Renaud's character sheet. As far as I know, Renaud has +2 to bluff from his charisma, so I'll go by that. And Renaud rolls a 1d20+2=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1286601). The dice gods laugh mercilessly. Will Renaud ever score a roll more than a 10?))

BurntOfferings
2007-09-26, 09:17 AM
(( For those whose sheets are on TTW:

To get to your tangledweb character sheet, go to http://profiler.thetangledweb.net/ , log in, and download your sheets. They go to www.thetangledweb.net and re-register. Recreate your characters and upload the sheets you downloaded. It's a pain, but it's free, so I guess we shouldn't complain too badly that they didn't automatically transfer our accounts and character sheets. ))

Slartibartfast
2007-09-29, 01:44 PM
Now recognizing Renaud, a different servant looks at him. At stares at him. And gives that look that means "What kind of a moron do you think I am?"

Krursk
2007-10-01, 12:18 AM
Renaud returns with the rather emotitive stare that means "Sure, you're somewhat sharp, but I can hunt your children down and kill them. See: Evil"

BurntOfferings
2007-10-01, 04:08 PM
Krispen

Being somewhat new to the area, the "good" Friar doesn't try to finagle any goods from the King's men. He'll wait until they owe him for his services. For now, he bides him time seeking converts to the might and glory of Vulkoria. His sermons have lots of fire and brimstone and burning ash raining down on the unrepentant villages before the earth shakes and cracks open and swallows them whole. He's holding back on the really hard-core stuff for now, so as not to scare off the potential new worshipers.

(( It looks like I'm going to have to rebuild Crispen. After I moved his sheet to rpgwebprofiler, I removed it from thetangledweb. :smallfrown: I can get the stats from invisiblecastle, and I remember his feat, but his skills and equipment may not be exactly the same. ))

Slartibartfast
2007-10-02, 08:56 AM
((TTW erased my account during a cleanup or something but I have a new one called "Slartibartfast" to avoid name confusion.))

The servant looks back at Renaud with a stare saying "My wife is a high-level paladin dumbass"

The other servant prompts Tola or anyone wishing to take her place. "What kind of ranged weaponry do you seem to be needing? We've got about a PHB full of stuff in there."

Krursk
2007-10-03, 01:51 AM
Renaud, after the most emotative staring competion of his life, and indeed probably of all time, is finished preparation.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-03, 09:17 AM
If the rest of you guys are ready, then we can go.

BurntOfferings
2007-10-04, 11:46 AM
Krispen

"C'mon folks, let's get going. I've got short legs, I need an early start. Get in staring contests after I've scored a shambling mount."

(( The good friar has been completely rehabilitated. The link in my sig works again. ))

Slartibartfast
2007-10-06, 10:52 AM
((Whohoo! I can see him in my charlist now too!))

Not only does the Friar have small legs, but he's past his carrying capacity by about a mile! Even if he ditches his backpack he still has a medium load!

Well, Friar will have a 10 ft. move speed, and this village is pretty far away. Maybe you should be asking about possible mounts, at least for him?

BurntOfferings
2007-10-06, 02:17 PM
Okay, first of all, he's either past his carrying capacity or he has a medium load. It can't be both. :smalltongue:

Second, there's this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#weight).

"If your character is wearing armor, use the worse figure (from armor or from load) for each category. Do not stack the penalties."

Crispen's medium armor already slows him down to 15 ft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#speed). The medium load doesn't hurt him at that point.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-06, 06:00 PM
Fair enough, I'll concede the point. During my real-life gaming we never used weights (as well as many other rules such as the need to eat) so I never really bothered to learn about them. And I'll admit carrying capacity and light load mean two different things but I often use them as one and the same.

This was because in the virtual D+D games like Icewind Dale it would say "Encumbered: Character Slowed" and only listed the light load number (as well as using AD+D rules) and at that point was when you reassigned gear because for some reason you seemed to be able to carry more back then (except wizards with crap str!).

I'm gonna PM people again and see who is present and/or alive, etc.

Krursk
2007-10-07, 12:10 PM
Renaud is still here, reformatting his character sheet. Crap, I forgot my stats. We'll just assume an eighteen in everything then?:smalltongue:

Or I could just look it up on invisible castle

Slartibartfast
2007-10-07, 02:09 PM
That would work. That stats are: 15 12 12 11 10 9
You posted them in the OOC thread. :smallbiggrin:

BurntOfferings
2007-10-08, 11:42 AM
Or you could look at the old character sheet (http://profiler.thetangledweb.net/view.php?id=1797).

Slartibartfast
2007-10-08, 06:15 PM
Well that's doing it the easy way! Yeah, I guess that works...

Firesong
2007-10-08, 07:33 PM
Heradoth's blazing eyes glance around the room suspiciously, and his ears perk up. Something seems to have been disturbed... but then, deciding it was probably due to a conversation between nonentities and thus not subject to detection, he nods, and the skeleton rises. Heradoth gives the king a questioning look. "If there is nothing further, sire...?"

Slartibartfast
2007-10-11, 12:48 AM
At the astonishing end to the non-conversation that should have occurred in the OOC thread, Heredoth breaks the silence that never managed to take place.

Heredoth has declared ready to go.

Ready to Leave:
Renaud
Friar Krispen
Heredoth and Taquar

Waiting For:
Shia
Ronald

Krursk
2007-10-21, 04:27 AM
*pokes thread*

BurntOfferings
2007-10-22, 10:36 AM
The thread says, "Stop touching me.

"Slart, make him stop touching me!"

Slartibartfast
2007-10-22, 05:20 PM
Alright alright. Time limit has long since expired. Shia and Ronald are dropped.
You three vote to see if we get replacements or just have me kill them off and keep going.

Angry Slart

Firesong
2007-10-22, 08:50 PM
We need another set of repetetive ones...

BurntOfferings
2007-10-22, 09:26 PM
I think we'll be okay as long as there aren't a lot of traps....

Slartibartfast
2007-10-23, 08:36 PM
A servant comes up to the five of you (I will NPC the others to kill them off dramatically). "Good sirs, thy horses are ready. You may depart when you wish."

BurntOfferings
2007-10-23, 09:49 PM
Krispin

"Horses! Outstanding. Let's be on our way, then. It seems like it's taking forever to get out of here and start the town burning. Saving. I mean town saving."

Krursk
2007-10-26, 07:44 AM
Renaud

Renaud prepares to set off, annoyed by the fact that he couldn't take free stuff and that he'll probably fluff his first ride check, because the dice gods hate him

((I've got exam preparations for the next three weeks, so don't expect too much activity))

Firesong
2007-10-26, 11:02 PM
Heradoth nods, finds his way from wherever he is (somehow, he's not sure whether he's in the presence of the king and the servant has just given him leave to depart, or whether he managed to wander out of the king's presence without paying attention; either way, a thoughtful frown passes over his face). Swinging atop his horse - carefully, and more like stepping onto his horse than swinging onto it - he surveys his surroundings regally, waiting for his companions.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-27, 12:47 PM
The Journey Begins! As Shia and Ronald mount their horses (ok, Ronald has a pony), the six of you set off into the oblivion of travel. Strangely, the horses seem to have no problem at all with Taquar. You ride out onto the road, and leave the city. As miles of road fly past, the day passes uneventfully. After five days (and five Ride Checks) you see the town in the distance.

I will pause the story here so that you can plan your entry if you wish.

You guys will have to find out how to handle ride checks because I can't find that stuff in the PHB and didn't have time to look in the DMG.

Krursk
2007-10-28, 05:00 AM
((It's a DC 5 ride check 1d20+2=15, 1d20+2=11, 1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=17, 1d20+2=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1339702) so Renuad passes))

Well, I still say we storm the town, but failing that someone with a half-decent Diplomacy score should lead the way. That's probably me.

Firesong
2007-10-28, 01:26 PM
[DC 5 is to guide your mount with your knees or to stay on if your mount bolts unexpectedly. I guess you made it with no hands.]

Heradoth nods. "Unless you feel that Taquar has a better chance - you must agree, he's unusually persuasive for one of his kind - I would agree." He remains mounted, however, surveying his surroundings. He might look a bit odd, but were his black robes and firey red eyes intimidating? Surely not.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-28, 01:30 PM
((Doesn't the check get like a cumulative +2 each consecutive day? You would still succeed most, just wanting to be sure. Because that would make the DCs 5, 7, 9, 11, 13.

Also: What is the amount of damage you take for failing. 1d6 nonlethal?
Ronald succeeded the second roll. Just the second roll though...
Shia got them all though, barely.))

((Heredoth: We are rolling fatigue from a full day of riding. Those who fail the DC 5 rolls screw up and get hurt.))

Renaud and the others think back over his last sentence. He had said "Well, I say we storm the town, but failing that someone halfway decent at diplomacy should lead the way. That's probably me." but it had sounded somehow... different.

BurntOfferings
2007-10-29, 09:27 AM
Krispin

(( Typical riding actions donít require checks. You can saddle, mount, ride, and dismount from a mount without a problem. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm) I posted about this in the OOC thread but I guess no one reads that anymore. :smallamused: Also, what constitutes a "fatigue" check? Fortitude save? Constitution check? ))

"By all means, Renaud, go win them over with your penetrating stare. We'll look for an appropriate camp site, in case nothing in town seems suitable." And the Friar begins to do just that.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-30, 06:45 PM
((Yes, "ride", not "Ride for an entire day." I'm pretty sure there was a check of some sort to see if you take nonlethal damage from riding too long. No clue about Fatigue checks.))

The Friar needs to roll his survival check to see if he can find anyplace halfway decent.

BurntOfferings
2007-10-30, 10:30 PM
(( We're mounted, so nothing bad happens to us. The mounts take lethal damage if we move at a hustle or faster. See the mounted movement section of overland movement here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#mountedMovement). ))

Friar Krispen will take 10, if that's okay, for a check total of 15.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-30, 11:15 PM
((Well, nobody could find the rule so it does not exist. No damage taken for anybody.))

The Friar wanders away from the path and finds a somewhat secluded clearing in a small grove of trees. What it lacks in commodities it makes up for by being easy to ambush. Not a great find, but it's a last resort. It has a small spring for water, and food might be scavenged for.

Also: See update on OOC thread.

BurntOfferings
2007-10-31, 09:26 AM
Krispen

"I have received a vision from Valkoria, may her volcanoes never stop smoking! It is imperative that we all enter the town together!

"Renaud, wait for us!"

The little halfling scampers back up on his mount and sets out after the paladin, urging Heredoth to follow.

Firesong
2007-10-31, 11:26 AM
Heradoth looks at Krispen in puzzlement as the halfling mounts his horse, rides up to where he and Renaud are, and begins urging him to follow despite the fact that he was already doing so. Blaming it on a possible misinterpretation of non-existant text, he proceeds to ignore it, and glances at his minion to ensure that he is following. Satisfied, he faces forward again.

Slartibartfast
2007-10-31, 06:39 PM
The five of you (Including the NPCs) ride into Curasedna Village (pronounced "CUR-ah-SED-na"). Dismounting, you look about. It seems to be an average village, the main road extending throughout, merging into the little town. Various huts and houses can be seen down side passageways, and there are the few necessary commodities of a general store, a blacksmith, and a few other small shops and businesses. Although it is a sizable town, there seems to be an amazingly low amount of people roaming the streets.

Many people look at you with glaring stares, piercing into your mind as best they can, wary of trouble. You feel shunned.

Then, a scream breaks the silence and many people point behind you. Whirling, you see a small group of rats with a strange green cloud about them. One of them has jumped up and is hanging off of Ronald's arm by its teeth. Nobody heard or saw them coming, and Ronald falls to the ground in a struggle with the beast. The fall was probably due more to Ronald's surprise at being bit and his own efforts at trying to remove the vermin than any strength of the rat's.

The remaining three rats are looking at you with glinting, hungry, ravenous eyes.

Map:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/CurasednaVillage.png
Map Key:
R = Renaud
R = Ronald
R = Rat
H = Heredoth
T = Taquar
S = Shia
K = Friar Krispen
C = Commoner

COMBAT! *dorky animation plays!*

{table]Initiative:|
Name|#
Ronald|21
Rats|19
Renaud|18
Friar Krispen|16
Horses|15
Shia|9
Heredoth|8
Taquar|8[/table]

Ronald: continues to grapple with the rat. Failure; the rat stays on top of him and will not let go.

Rat1: The rat on Ronald bites him again. 1 damage.
Rat2: Attacks Shia; misses
Rat3: Attacks Shia's horse; misses
Rat4: Attacks Ronald's horse; misses

Renaud's turn.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-02, 09:28 AM
Krispen

The halfling scrambles down from his horse and moves to help Ronald.

Krispen will dismount (a move action) and moving to the square west of Taquar (another move action), drawing his sickle as he goes.

Are these squares 5x5 or 10x10?

Does Krispen notice anything unusual about the rats, other than they're attacking creatures much larger than they are and are surrounded by a strange green cloud? Knowledge (nature) (1d20+8=13). (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1349354) Not so great, but maybe good enough.

Slartibartfast
2007-11-02, 06:39 PM
Krispen takes three move actions (dismounting, moving, and drawing his sickle) and knows nothing about this strange affliction of the rats.

EDIT: Friar PMed me a link with the new rule in it. Apparently a BAB of +1 or higher lets you draw a weapon for free as part of a move. Maybe I have an older version of the PHB? Probably just trusted Thrune about the rule and he was wrong again. Oh well.

Krursk
2007-11-05, 04:25 AM
Renaud dismounts and draws his sword, prepared to fight the rat in front of him

Slartibartfast
2007-11-05, 06:39 PM
MAP EDIT: I just remembered horses are 5x10 ft, or 1x2 squares! I moved you guys around a little to accommodate the extra space the horses are taking up.
I also added in Renaud's dismount. Tell me if you wanted to go to the other square.

IN THE FUTURE: Alert me which square you are dismounting to.

ALSO FOR RENAUD: Roll Handle Animal.

When Renaud does that, Taquar will delay to just after Heredoth as he does not have any standing orders and has not been personally attacked.

Firesong
2007-11-05, 10:52 PM
Heradoth mutters something mystical under his breath, then turns to his tame skeleton, to which he says, "If you see a rat, do your utmost to destroy it." However, before acting on his own, he waits to see whether or not engulfing the rats in fire would be a good idea. It's probably not a good idea to cause the combustion of one's companions.

Slartibartfast
2007-11-07, 05:44 PM
Map:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/CurasednaVillage.png
Map Key:
R = Renaud
R = Ronald
R = Rat
H = Heredoth
T = Taquar
S = Shia
K = Friar Krispen
C = Commoner
IF THE MAP DID NOT UPDATE, REFRESH THE PAGE!

{table]Initiative:|
Name|#
Ronald|21
Rats|19
Renaud|18
Friar Krispen|16
Horses|15
Shia|9
Heredoth|8
Taquar|8[/table]

The Horses have their turn. Ronald's horse starts from the combat and runs clean off the field into the blacksmith's shop. The others stay, but look uneasy.

NPC Shia dismounts and draws his sword.

Taquar dismounts, pulling out his own blade, and approaches the three rats. He makes his DC 20 Ride check and dismounts as a free action! He then attacks a rat.

The Rat dies.

Ronald seems to look strange, but he strangles the rat on top of him.

The remaining two rats attack Taquar, and one of them hits. It does 1 damage.

Renaud's turn.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-08, 12:07 AM
Krispen

Magically transported back onto his horse by some strange supernatural force, the good friar dismounts once more, and approaches the rats while drawing his sickle. Again.

Slartibartfast
2007-11-08, 01:05 AM
Oh sorry Friar. Just didn't update that on the map. The move still counted.

EDIT: Taquar's DR renders him immune to the rat's bite.
The map now shows where Krispen started this round. He may make his move for this round, as he had clearly announced his dismount previously.

To clarify: It is Renaud's turn, and Krispen has not announced a move yet.

Krursk
2007-11-08, 10:54 PM
Stupid exams and their not allowing me to go on computer...

Handle Animal: 1d20+2=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1362228). Should pass.

Renaud moves (hard to plot so I'll describe it) two diagonally to the bottom left and one diagonally to the bottom right, putting him next to Taquar

To Hit: 1d20+1=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1362230). The Dice gods laugh.

BTW, I'll be away for the weekend, so NPC Renaud until Monday

Slartibartfast
2007-11-09, 12:10 AM
Acknowledged. Waiting on Friar now. If nobody guessed it, Renaud missed.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-09, 11:06 AM
Krispen

The good Friar moves southeast one square, slipping past Renaud (I think), then moves one square east, taking up a flanking position with Shia. He then tries to harvest a rat with his sickle.

1d20+4=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1363257) I'm pretty sure that's a whiff.

I almost hate to mention it, but in 3.5 horses (and every other Large creature) take a 10'x10' space (they were 5'x10' back in 3e). All critters have a square base now, regardless of size, height, etc. I think they did this mostly to simplify the minis. Unless the horses are going to try to fight, it's not really an issue here, though (IMO).

Slartibartfast
2007-11-14, 09:28 PM
But-But-...DAMN YOU! It took so long to make those horses right (about 5-10 minutes!)! I'm going to leave the horses as 5x10 for this battle because rats suck anyways and will all die soon. And yes, the horses are probably going to fail their morale checks and run away long before they fight anything.
Also, you do indeed miss.

Map:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/CurasednaVillage.png
Map Key:
R = Renaud
R = Ronald
R = Rat
H = Heredoth
T = Taquar
S = Shia
K = Friar Krispen
C = Commoner
IF THE MAP DID NOT UPDATE, REFRESH THE PAGE!

Initiative:
{table]Name|#
Ronald|21
Rats|19
Renaud|18
Friar Krispen|16
Horses|15
Shia|9
Heredoth|8
Taquar|8[/table]

Horses turn. They all stay, muscles taught and ready to leap away at any moment.

Shia leaps into intelligent action and stabs a rat. (eeek! *dodge*) Shia misses painfully. But that rock there on the ground is TOAST! Well, technically it is now rock-dust.

Heredoth's turn.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-15, 01:51 PM
Krispen

The good Friar keeps swinging.

Attacking with the sickle: 1d20+4 = 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1375217)
Hey, that might actually hit.
Sickle damage: 1d4 = 3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1375239)

Krispen can take a 5-foot step to the east or the northeast to gain flanking in Shia moves away before he attacks. (You said we should post out-of-order, so I did.)

Krursk
2007-11-21, 07:50 AM
Krursk, rembering he's actually a functioning member of the party, drags himself from the Book of Useless Spells on the Wizards forum and rolls his attack roll

And scores a 1d20+1=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1385063)

Assuming that hits he does 1d8=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1385065) 6 damage to a rat.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-26, 12:14 PM
*poke*

*poke poke*

Slartibartfast
2007-11-27, 07:06 PM
Ok, skipping Heredoth for right now.

Blah Blah BLah the combined attacks finish off the rats. YAY!
The people seem to have a more open attitude towards you. A few commoners come and and thank you briefly for slaying the rats before continuing on their tasks. On of them mentions you should probably have the village healer take a look at Ronald's hand. As he says this, Ronald's rat bites begin to give a of an eerily green gas, almost identical to the clouds the rats had. Strangely, the rats bodies no longer give off the green smoke.

Someone wearing gloves takes the rat corpses to the blacksmith. The horses are retrieved to make things faster. I guess you should take a look around maybe, or figure out what to do with Ronald.

It is late afternoon, around 3:30.

BurntOfferings
2007-11-29, 12:54 PM
Krispen

"Let me take a look at that hand, Roland. Hmm...."

Heal check to evaluate the wound: (1d20+4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398090)

"Well, I guess it's probably a rat bite, since you had a rat hanging off of your arm from this spot. Also there's the green smoke, not unlike the smoke from the rats. But it could also be the burning plague." You can even hear the font change in his voice.

Krispen then casts cure minor wounds, healing Roland by one hit point (but it's a really important hit point).

"Now you'd best go chase down your horse. I believe it ran into the smithy over there."

Slartibartfast
2007-11-29, 07:19 PM
Eerily, although the wound heals, the cloud remains. It almost seems like it's getting slowly bigger... The Friar's knowledge of healing arts also tells him (PMed!). Ronald retrieves his horse. By the time he gets back, he glances back down at the cloud. As you watch it makes a sudden spurt and covers his entire hand, spreading halfway up his forearm. At this rate, the cloud will cover him in about 3 hours. As I said, it's 3:30 now, so by nightfall... He'll be covered. 6:30 is when that happens, so for him, what will happen then?

Firesong
2007-12-01, 04:57 AM
"The Burning Plague, you say?" Heradoth glances at the speaker, singularly unimpressed, despite the fact that normally calm voice has taken on the same menacing overtones, apparently without him realizing it. Realizing that his mental hyperlinks aren't functioning properly and, as a result, he has been reacting slowly to things around him, he resolves to pay closer attention to his surroundings instead. "I can see two reasons for calling a plague that. One is a description of the symptoms. The other is a cure."

Krursk
2007-12-02, 03:03 AM
Wow, so there's a fair chance we need to burn the entire town to the ground. Where was this revelation when we were discussing options with the king? Maybe someone could have brought it up instead of us being caught with no burning preparation to save an entire town from the Burning Plague?

Renaud is smirking slightly with the revelation he might have been right about the whole "burn it to the ground" philosophy

Firesong
2007-12-02, 06:03 AM
Heradoth dismounts, which he probably should have done a while ago, but keeps a firm hand on his horse, giving his skeleton the order to slap Renaud... gently, as he probably needs all his teeth. Whether or not this is accomplished successfully, he then hands the reigns to his skeleton and tells him to try and keep the horse from wandering away but that the horse shouldn't be hurt.

BurntOfferings
2007-12-04, 12:25 PM
Krispen

Watching the smoke spread up Roland's arm like an amorphous monster from a bad sci-fi movie, the Friar comments, "Well that's weird. Very un-burning plague-like." Approaching the nearest villager, he calls out, "You there! Our companion has been wounded in the defense of your town, and seems to have contracted a magical affliction. What can you tell us about it?"

Slartibartfast
2007-12-07, 12:04 AM
"You mean he got bitted by a Plague Rat dontcha? Yer friend thar seems mighty doomed now. If I twas you I'd ask Doc Durma bout it. Not much hope though."

The commoner leaves you this cryptic message and directions to the Doc and continues on his way.

BurntOfferings
2007-12-07, 10:25 AM
Krispen

Herding Ronald along like a small boy herding a very large goose, Krispen urges him forward. C'mon, c'mon, let us see if you'll be dead by sundown or not. I have an idea that might help, but I want to hear what this 'Doc Durma' has to say first."

(( Ronald is 100% NPC now, right? ))

Slartibartfast
2007-12-07, 06:53 PM
100% NPC Ronald follows complacently.

((I'll wait a bit for others before bringing you to Doc Durma.))

Krursk
2007-12-15, 08:09 AM
Meh, I'm just too lazy to post that Renaud blindly follows the Friar. Wait, no I'm not, I just did post that. Damn, I outwitted myself.

Slartibartfast
2007-12-15, 01:30 PM
Heredoth and Taquar may or may not be following but I am too damn lazy to wait and find out which. I'll say they followed for simplicity.

To Doc Durma's!

As you walk up to the log cabin, it doesn't look like anyone is home. Yet the door is open, and when you look inside you see a crotchety old man shaving in front of some badly polished brass. He turns, and sees Ronald. Dropping the razor he pulls a loaded crossbow out from under a desk and points it pointedly at Ronald.
"How long since he was infected? HOW LONG? Oh this is bad, VERY BAD! Step away from him so I can get a clear aim! QUICKLY! BEFORE IT ACCELERATES!"
As the Doc speaks the green smoke makes a break for it and covers all of Ronald's limbs, and most of his torso.
"Crap! He's almost turned! move so I can shoot!"

Shia uses paladin-fu to jump stupidly in front of Ronald, sword drawn.

"No you fool! It's too late now!"

Doc Durma runs away deeper into the cabin. The smoke covers Ronald's head.

Now what? Round-by-round has been activated! 1 standard and 1 move action!

Slartibartfast
2007-12-15, 01:32 PM
Heredoth and Taquar may or may not be following but I am too damn lazy to wait and find out which. I'll say they followed for simplicity.

To Doc Durma's!

As you walk up to the log cabin, it doesn't look like anyone is home. Yet the door is open, and when you look inside you see a crotchety old man shaving in front of some badly polished brass. He turns, and sees Ronald. Dropping the razor he pulls a loaded crossbow out from under a desk and points it pointedly at Ronald.
"How long since he was infected? HOW LONG? Oh this is bad, VERY BAD! Step away from him so I can get a clear aim! QUICKLY! BEFORE IT ACCELERATES!"
As the Doc speaks the green smoke makes a break for it and covers all of Ronald's limbs, and most of his torso.
"Crap! He's almost turned! move so I can shoot!"

Shia uses paladin-fu to jump stupidly in front of Ronald, sword drawn.

"No you fool! It's too late now!"

Doc Durma runs away deeper into the cabin. The smoke covers Ronald's head.

Now what? Round-by-round has been activated! 1 standard and 1 move action!

Party:
Renaud
Friar Krispen
Taquar
Heredoth
Ronald
Shia X

*an X means they have moved.

EDIT: I will have a map up, but I forgot my photobucket password. I will try to hack me later.

EDIT AGAIN: This is Finals Week. *GASP* Do not expect me to post. At all. Until Sunday. Because Saturday I will be dead. Sunday too probably. I'll try to get you an update or at least check on Monday.

BurntOfferings
2007-12-17, 12:28 PM
Krispen

(( Is that list the initiative order? ))

"Oh well, I tried." The Friar lifts his hands, and cleansing flames erupt from his fingertips, engulfing Ronald and the foolish Shia. Never liked paladins anyway...

Casting burning hands (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/burningHands.htm), and trying to catch only Ronald and Shia in the AoE. He'll then move away from them to make room for his more martial allies, drawing his sling as he moves.

Burning hands (2d4=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1431668)

Slartibartfast
2007-12-18, 07:20 PM
Um, sure, let's say that was initiative order. Nah, I'll roll for real.
Friar: you posted it twice by accident. Or maybe on purpose, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it was accident.

Initiative:
Shia 19[18]
Heradoth 19[11]
Taquar 19[10]
Ronald 16
Friar Crispen 7
Renaud 2

Map:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/Mysterious%20Evil/DocDurmas.png

Shia has moved, Heradoth is next in initiative. Taquar has delayed to after Heradoth due to a lack of instruction.

Krursk
2007-12-19, 06:46 AM
Renaud

Renaud will attack Ronald during his turn, as he wants to wait and see if Shia is actually an enemy. If he isn't the paladin code we agreed on in OOC would make him lose his paladin-fu

1d20+3=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1435536) for 1d8=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1435539) damage

BurntOfferings
2007-12-19, 10:24 AM
If Krispen can't fry Ronald without catching Renaud or another ally in the blast, he'll just back up and cast bless.

Slartibartfast
2007-12-20, 03:42 PM
While we wait for Heradoth,

Friar: Who will be targeted by the Bless spell?

BurntOfferings
2007-12-20, 04:28 PM
Bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm) isn't targeted, it's area of effect. :smalltongue:

Area: The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster

How does it know who my allies are? It's maaaaaaaaaagic!

:smallwink:

Seriously though, if Krispen has to specify who his allies are, it'll depend on what they do next. The good friar is way down the initiative order, after all. He'd include Renaud, because he likes his burn-the-town-down style. He'll probably include Heradoth and Taquar unless they do something he considers inimical. He might include Shia, but only if she is clearly prepared to attack Ronald instead of defend him. And he will not be blessing Ronald.

EDIT: I should point out that if Krispen does cast bless instead of burning hands, add +1 to Renaud's attack roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=56101&p=3678791) above.

EDIT2: Posting will be sporadic until Jan. 6th, but I will occasionally post.

Slartibartfast
2007-12-20, 08:53 PM
That was my point exactly. Who are your allies.

I will let that wait until Initiative has shifted downward. Also, Ronald is flatfooted in the surprise round! He didn't expect you guys to murder him. Foolish Ronald!

Firesong
2007-12-22, 10:17 PM
Heradoth smiles grimly and raises his arms overhead, bringing them down to point directly at the two who seem to be disagreeing with the party law. A sheet of flame shoots (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1441562) from his fingertips, hopefully engulfing the pair of fools, and he orders his companion, "Kill them." A second later, realizing that this might be somewhat vague and lead to some pain on the part of his companions, he adds, "The infected one and the one defending him, that is."

Slartibartfast
2007-12-23, 03:25 PM
Lightly scorching the interior of the house, Heradoth toasts Ronald(5 dmg) and Shia(3 dmg).

Taquar moves up quickly and clobbers Ronald(11 dmg).

Ronald looks dumbly at you all as he falls to the ground. He appears to be dead. Then, his body goes into an elaborate series of spasmodic jerks. He then, he raises his head. You see that he is dead. Ronald, with an annoying single-minded drive, announces his new feelings on the matter: "BRAAaAAiIINZ"

Krispen: I could not find a way to cast Burning Hands from where you are that did not hit Renaud, so restate your move (or who the allies you Bless are).

Renaud will attack after Krispen goes.

Initiative:
Shia 19[18]
Heradoth 19[11]
Taquar 19[10]
Ronald 16
Friar Crispen 7
Renaud 2

Map:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/Mysterious%20Evil/DocDurmas.png

Krursk
2007-12-27, 07:52 PM
Seriously though, if Krispen has to specify who his allies are, it'll depend on what they do next. The good friar is way down the initiative order, after all. He'd include Renaud, because he likes his burn-the-town-down style. He'll probably include Heradoth and Taquar unless they do something he considers inimical. He might include Shia, but only if she is clearly prepared to attack Ronald instead of defend him. And he will not be blessing Ronald.

Just to say, Krispen did post his definition of "ally". Also, he posted this:


EDIT2: Posting will be sporadic until Jan. 6th, but I will occasionally post.

Slartibartfast
2007-12-28, 03:01 PM
I had been prepared to wait, but you're right. Prepared action triggers.

Renaud, Taquar, and Heradoth get Blessed.

Ronald takes 4 damage from Renaud's blow.

Ronald has (correct me if I'm wrong) now taken a total of 20 damage.

Ronald is still living (unless that number is wrong).

Shia is very confused, and decides to Holy Smite Ronald. He is smitten. Bleh. Dead Zombie Ronald.

*KOMBAT OVER*

Now figure out what to do next.

Slartibartfast
2007-12-31, 09:41 PM
*IMPORTANT NOTICE*

It appears that Tola has risen from the dead! Rather, he went to his mother when she was getting really bad, and lost contact with the internet. Now he is reclaiming Shia, while I finally realize that Tola/Shia are male. *WHACK SELF IN FOREHEAD*

Shia is now a PC again. Ronald is still dead. Any evil acts I may have had Shia commit (Mostly thinking of that last bit with Ronald, kinda shady) are forgiven because they are all my fault anyways.

Tola
2008-01-04, 05:47 AM
Shia calls after Doctor Durma, healing off his damage via Lay on Hands as he does so.

"Alright, sir, the zombie is dead now. Wretched thing.

...It's clear the rats spread the undeath. Do you remember when they showed up? And do you recall anyone or anything strange beforehand?"

Slartibartfast
2008-01-06, 02:07 PM
The Doc pokes his head around the corner, cautiously. He approaches the corpse slowly, and arrives at it. He flicks something onto Ronald's body, the the twice dead goblin erupts into flame.

When the ashes of his smoking corpse have burned through, the Doc looks up again. "So, besides your late friend, was there anything you wished to see me about? Oh, and sorry about the corpse. If you were thinking of reviving him, we tried that. The body itself is a plague carrier, and if you resurrect it the plague comes back to it. He just dies again, you see. And others can get the curse from the bodies as well. Better to burn them. The problem is, some of the zombies we found roaming our streets seemed much more intelligent, and moved with more grace. Rather than calling out for brains, they attack more stealthily, under cover of darkness. If THOSE get someone, they vanish, and reappear later as one of the smart zombies. Makes no sense I say, no sense. Then again, I guess it would be the place. Yes, just the place. Just like that time in my youth when that wizard came to town. Horrible man, horrible man."

The Doctor ceases his ramblings and falls silent. "Well, look at me, stealing the conversation. You have any words worth speaking here? Oh my, where are my manners, would you like to come in?"

BurntOfferings
2008-01-07, 10:06 AM
Krispen

"We were sent by the King to see what was going on here, and try to find a solution. We suggested a few before coming, but his Majesty thought that they were a bit too... extreme... and asked we try to find a better solution.

"So what's going on here? What's with the green smoke and such? If this town is so dangerous suddenly, why don't the people evacuate? Anything you can tell us would be helpful at this point."

Krursk
2008-01-08, 07:25 AM
((I'll be away until the end of January so expect even less activity from Renaud then normal))

Slartibartfast
2008-01-09, 09:00 PM
((Should I still expect activity from him? Should I NPC him perhaps?))

"Hah! Try leaving on your own a few times. 'Twas pure luck our one young lad escaped before the barrier was fully sealed. Sent him off to warn the king. Looks the Jacob didn't actually understand the situation here. All I know is what I've told you. If you can find some way to evacuate, please tell us! We're dying in here! wish that wasn't literal..."

BurntOfferings
2008-01-10, 11:06 AM
Krispen

The Friar looks a bit peevish. "Come on, man, you must know more than that! Have you any idea how it spreads? Is it only via the rats and zombies, or do some come down with it without any apparent contact?

"And tell me more about this 'barrier'."

Slartibartfast
2008-01-10, 06:13 PM
"See, ever since the zombies came to town, I kept to myself in here as much as possible. Found no cure for the Green Plague either. It seems to be carried in liquids. If a contaminated liquid gets in your blood, you're infected. Been a lot of suicides from young lads catching the plague they say. Never tried the barrier myself, sorry. But you can go out there too. Just watch out for more poor souls who've caught it."

Doc Durma shrugs and continues working with some potions and medicines, presumably trying to devise a cure.

Tola
2008-01-12, 12:06 AM
"Mmmm...."

Oh look, Shia's still here. Does he bring insight?

"I...think we may need to go after some of these 'smart' zombies. Attacking from ambush, knowing to retreat and swell their numbers? That's...so un-zombie-like that I'm not convinced that they ARE zombies."

....Not really.

"How does this place get it's water? Have there been any new substances showing up in town lately?"

When you've got no info, the only option is more questions...

Slartibartfast
2008-01-12, 12:42 AM
Wow. A PC, interrogating an NPC? So new and inventive. Well, I guess if it works, it's worth it.

"Wells. Deep wells. I bin looking down em, thought the same thing. Nothing wrong with the water I can see. I had an apprentice wizard check it out. Detect Magik, found nothing. Nothing wrong with it. If you can figure this out, we'll all be grateful. Well, those of us who are left."

The doctor seems strangely submissive, as if he has already surrendered to be killed by the plague, and is simply trying to stall, but with little hope of survival.

BurntOfferings
2008-01-16, 10:16 AM
Krispen

The Friar taps his chin, deep in thought. "Alright, so how many people are left in town, would you say? And how big is the area inside this 'barrier'? Does anything else carry the plague, other than rats and people?"

Slartibartfast
2008-01-17, 01:49 AM
"Good questions all! I have no idea! As I told you, I haven't left my house much. Lucky for me normal zombies are pretty dumb, so I can usually find them in ones or twos, call for help if I need it and take em out if they show up in the day. At night, I barricade everything up. The smart zombies don't seem to come out during the day. About the barrier, well, I've no idea how big it is. Not really been out of the house, never seen it myself."

For some sporadic reason that may or may not have anything to do with Int checks, all of you think back to the PM that I sent you upon entering the town. Shia thinks of the one I am about to send right now duplicating what he would have gotten if he was a PC at the time.

Tola
2008-01-18, 01:06 AM
Shia thinks back...

"That strange feeling....Now the real question is how the thing WORKS. Does it just repel you, or are there other effects?"

Shia starts to move to the door(Intent on checking out this 'shield'), but stops, looks through his things, and brings out the bottle of mysterious liquid.

"One last thing before we go. No, two things. One, is there a blacksmith or weapon store of any sort around here? Two, can you Identify this?"

Slartibartfast
2008-01-21, 04:29 PM
"A blacksmith's? There used to be, not sure if it's still around. This here? Looks to me like... hm, just a sec."
Doc Durma brings out a strange device and fiddles with it. "This here is a mighty fine potion of Cure Light Wounds. Problem solved."

((Shia, If you look back to I think page three, there is a map of the town experienced during combat that shows most of the useful parts of the town. It's not complete, but it's about all you've seen anyways.))

BurntOfferings
2008-01-21, 04:57 PM
Krispen

Clearly not happy with the amount and quality of intel he's received regarding the T-virus Green Plague, the Friar presses the Doc for more information.

"Alright, so you don't know how many people are left in the town. Fine, fair enough. Then tell us how many lived here before the plague struck? Is there a structure large enough to hold, say, half of the town's population for a few days? Comfort isn't an issue, but defensibility is."

Turning to his companions, he says, "I suggest that if such a place exists, we search it thoroughly to make sure it is both clear of this "Green Plague" and fairly easy to keep that way. We invoke the authority of the King to herd the townsfolk (plus supplies) into that structure, then conscript the able-bodied to barricade and guard the windows and doors. Then we can get to the important work of clearing the town of this affliction without risking the King's ire."

Quietly, so that Durma doesn't hear, he adds, "Personally, I think it's past time for the King to order this place repeatedly fireballed for the good of the rest of the kingdom, but ..." He shrugs in a "nobody listens to me" fashion.

Slartibartfast
2008-01-22, 11:17 PM
Durma frowns.
"Well, there used to be a pretty good town hall aways away, but I don't know if it's big enough to house half the town... You can check on it, if you like. It wasn't exactly built as a garrison, but it just might work. Now if you excuse me, I have some business to attend to."

He begins to ignore you and mixes chemicals and herbs, pouring himself over scrolls and tomes, filled with strange writing in a poor hand, and many unreadable symbols and figure incomprehensibly covering the parchment. He seems to expect you to leave, and let him work.

Slartibartfast
2008-01-29, 07:32 PM
On the Matter of Shops:

Obviously, don't go to the blacksmith to buy food. Go the most appropriate shop to find an object, and start your search there. Do not complain if you cannot get your spells from the grocer's.

As for stock:

I don't really want to look through the list to scan every item (lazy me) but I can search for stuff you ask for and give feedback on similar items available. I may make a special note to you if an item sold is over- or under-priced.I'm also going to go check my notes (if I can find them) to see what the magik items the town had were. There were only one or two, but I forgot what they were. Just ask me for something, and I'll see if they have it.

As a rule of thumb for looking for an item, think of a small town on the fringe of society currently under siege, having no restocking via trading, and losing supplies to attack. Think of the kind of things that village would have, and

Assume they should have a sparse stock of most simple and martial weapons, and little or no exotic.

They have light and medium armors, but no heavy armor. There are no spikes or locked gauntlets. Bucklers and light shields are the only shields available.

Almost all "Adventuring Gear" will be available, and tools and skill kits can be found. Other gear may or may not be present.

Tola
2008-02-03, 12:35 AM
I am currently VERY tired, and am in no mood to 'role-play' the walk-around/shopping at this time.(Don't ask. Just know it involves my 'caring' task.)

There's not much I'm really after:

One Morningstar
One Chain Shirt(To replace my leathers)
? Potions of Cure Light Wounds(Don't know how many are avalible here, so I can't give an amount at present.

If need be I can do the role-play of this section later, but not right now.

Slartibartfast
2008-02-03, 01:46 PM
Role-playing shopping is boring anyways unless you are planning to later steal something from the shopkeeper, which I doubt Shia will do, being a paladin.

The morningstar and chain shirt are available (5 each; you buy one each) There are also a total of 10 potions of Cure Light Wounds. Buy however many you like.

My role of caring about shop role-play may even be less than yours Tola.

Firesong
2008-02-07, 02:50 PM
"A perfectly good idea," Heradoth notes. "I'd also suggest that any corpse bodies left by the Green Plague be dealt with in one way or another..." He could think up multiple good uses, some of which probably weren't a good idea given the nature of whoever had created the plague and the feelings people probably harboured towards those who shared his profession. "I'd also recommend importing a wagonload of cats, just in case."

BurntOfferings
2008-02-07, 03:16 PM
Krispen

"Ah, good, then let's get on with it. I believe that Shia has finished browsing through what passes for the local shops. Shall we proceed, then?" The Friar heads for the door, hoping that the others follow.

Slartibartfast
2008-02-07, 06:56 PM
Note to Heradoth:

Remember that Doc did burn Ronald's corpse. Also, that whole no-contact-with-the-outside-world thing kinda gets in the way of importations of any kind.

Firesong
2008-02-08, 02:54 AM
I was assuming that there might be other corpses... not everyone dies neatly in front of the Doc. But perhaps we could borrow some fire from him. It would be fun...

Incidentally, Heradoth was considering sending a shipment of kittens to sell after they got out of here. It would be perfect. Rats cause plague, cats it rats, ergo cats will prevent the town from becoming plagued again.

Slartibartfast
2008-02-08, 06:11 PM
Ah, I see. Simple misunderstanding. I'm gonna shut up now before I screw up and give something away.

Tola
2008-02-12, 03:28 AM
Shia speaks on hearing Heradoth's suggestion on cats.

"That's assuming the cats don't end up getting affected BY killing the rats. Then we have feral cats, instead of rats. And cats are....disturbingly dangerous. Most ridiculous thing I ever saw one time....a whole group of guys get effectively mauled to death by a kitten they made the mistake of pissing off. No, I don't know what they did to it, only the results. Not only horrible, but embarrassing to boot. It's scary and funny at he same time. I'm STILL not sure how to feel on it, and it's been a year or so since I saw it."

Shia shakes his head.

"Let's get this done quickly."

And Shia shoves off to try to speak to some of the townsfolk, to get them moving...

((OOC it's a old D+D thing from what I understand-Commoners and the D4 classes die to cats. The imagery alone....))

Slartibartfast
2008-02-12, 08:59 AM
((Not really sure how that works. A cat has 1/2d8 HP and has 3 attack that do a net of 1 damage, being 1d2 and 1d3 but -4 for strength. Even a commoners unarmed strike could at least knock out a cat, let alone a kitten.))

BurntOfferings
2008-02-12, 10:10 AM
(( He would have to hit it first. A commoner, with his impressive +0 BAB and +0 Strength bonus, will have trouble hitting the cat's 14 AC. Conversely the cat, with its +2 size bonus and +2 Dex bonus, would have little trouble hitting the commoner's 10 AC. Plus, cats get three attacks per round (two claws at +4, and a bite at -1). A commoner against one cat is in trouble. A commoner against two cats is meow mix. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-02-12, 06:14 PM
((I thought you got 2 Unarmed Strikes? Oh, but I guess that counts as Dual Wielding granting a favorable -4 penalty. What Shia describes though was four or five commoners against one cat. So 4 vs. 3 attacks, but still I think the cat does have an advantage. The last commoner might survive and take out the cat, or with a streak of luck more.))

BurntOfferings
2008-02-13, 03:46 PM
Krispen

Walking towards the town hall, the Friar calls back, "Shia, let's make sure the town hall is acceptable before we start herding the townsfolk. If it's half windows, the doors don't lock, and the cellar connects to an ancient sewer system, it would hardly make a suitable redoubt."

Hurrying along, he looks up to the sun to gauge how much time they have until nightfall.

(( Re kittens: Yep, the primary attack would suffer a -4 penalty, and the offhand attack would suffer a -8 penalty. From the cat's point of view, panicking the humans into swinging both fists is a winner (panicking them into trying to deal lethal damage is also a clear winner). Another thing relevant to fighting a group: since a cat has 0 reach, it must enter its opponent's space to attack. This gives it a +4 cover bonus to AC against other foes (but not the one it shares a space with). So most of the humans have to hit AC 18 with a +0 attack bonus. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-02-13, 07:28 PM
The sun appears to tell you that you have approximately two hours left before nightfall. Dun dun DUNNNNNN!

((Re: Kitten: Now to prove this theory, I will start an ongoing sub-plot that is COMPLETELY unrelated to the game! At the end of each of my updates, I will add a new episode of Cat Wars, where I have a cat take on a group of commoners! If the cat wins and the adventure is entertaining enough, I may begin to judge the cat against tougher opponents.))

Cat Wars: Battle 1, Episode 1

A cat faces four commoners. One of them pissed off the cat, so it attacked him. THE BATTLE BEGINS, WITH AN INITIATIVE ROLL! The cat gets a 9, and the commoners get a 5, 19, 12, and 19. Three commoners attack. One commoner rolls for critical miss and hits nothing, the other hits the cat.
The cat takes 6 damage. The cat is knocked unconscious. Theory disproved, three commoners can take out one cat. CR 3 (the commoners) vs. CR 1/4 (the cat) is actually a good measure of strength. Anyone wanna try a rematch in Episode 2 or should I just end this and spare the cat?

BurntOfferings
2008-02-14, 10:32 AM
(( I think the cat should've gotten to act in the suprise round. :smalltongue: ))

Slartibartfast
2008-02-14, 06:16 PM
((Probably, but I had wanted a pure stats fight so I made no surprise round. I see now that cats really do suck.))

Slartibartfast
2008-02-18, 09:51 PM
Krispen

Walking towards the town hall, the Friar calls back, "Shia, let's make sure the town hall is acceptable before we start herding the townsfolk. If it's half windows, the doors don't lock, and the cellar connects to an ancient sewer system, it would hardly make a suitable redoubt."

Hurrying along, he looks up to the sun to gauge how much time they have until nightfall.

Whoops. Never finished that one. The answer is:
{table]Item|Status
Ancient Sewer System|Does not Connect
Windows|Few and Far Between
Doors|Sturdy and Lockable, but Wooden
Suitability as Town Sanctuary|High[/table]

Your survey went successfully. You think the town could indeed take refuge within this building, and in fact cannot see why they have not done so already. Many people would have to fit in the basement level, which according to descriptions is sizable enough, although the guard on duty would not unlock it for you because there was "official stuff" down there. Someone was obviously inside during you conversation, as you hear a thump from within. Oddly, the soldier shudders at the sound before returning to his post.

BurntOfferings
2008-02-19, 01:10 PM
Krispen

(( Is there any way into the basement other than the interior stairway (I assume it's interior), e.g. a basement window or exterior door? ))

The good Friar raises himself up to his full impressive height of 34 inches, and settles his sternest, most disapproving gaze upon the guard. "You think to bar me from the basement because of 'official stuff'? I am here by order of the King himself, and it does not get more official than that! I have traveled far, and have already lost a companion to this foul plague. I am in no mood for foolishness. Now unlock that door and stand aside, or I swear by the awesome might of the Lady of Flames, there will be consequences."

Intimidate check (1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1500303/)

Slartibartfast
2008-02-20, 12:07 AM
The basement seems like the perfect place, with no windows or connection to the outside except a sturdy stone door that could easily be barred from the inside. The door leads to a stairway with a second door of equal or greater merit blocking the way to the basement itself. There are also runes on the door, supposedly holding ancient protective spells back from the founding of the village. The door is exteriorly barred with some sort of makeshift rig of bars and chains with three padlocks upon it. This odd contraption stands out from the natural build of the building, which was made sturdily with almost, or maybe even, dwarven precision. All the walls surrounding the basement are made of the same runic stone as the door. In fact, the basement seems almost too perfect.The rest of the building is made varyingly of stone and wood.

================================================== =====================================

The soldier looks incredibly nervous, and his eyes dart back and forth.
"Well, um, but sir, I, uh, um, duh, have no proof! Yes! I have no proof that you have, uh, any connection to the king at all! So, uh, you should go, uh, talk to the mayor or something. Yes, talk to the mayor! If you can get him to, um, grant you permisson to enter the basement, then I'll gladly open the door for you, yessir!"
Picking up momentum, he threads this pale story for you. It's obvious he just made it up, but he now seems to think better of you, although his honor prevents him from going back on what he said. Or something similar, you can't be sure. Anyways, it seems better not to press him yet and see what the mayor has to say.

((Is the Good Friar the only one here? It's been a long time since anyone else posted besides me and him...))

BurntOfferings
2008-02-20, 10:15 AM
Krispen

The Friar seethes with displeasure. "And where can I find the mayor?"

Slartibartfast
2008-02-20, 10:41 AM
"You're in the town hall. Where do you think? Head up those stairs at the end of this passageway. Follow the signs."

Tola
2008-02-24, 12:22 AM
Shia simply shakes his head watching/hearing this.

I thought most holy men were wise?

"....Alright, who have you got in there, how long have they been there, is there rat access to in there, and were they definitely infected before you locked them up?"

Very to-the-point, for the most part.

"The last thing anyone needs, given that this building may be used for the protection of the people, is for zombies to be bursting from the floor because you felt like keeping secrets. If nothing else, we can slay the beasts now and end the problem. Is this acceptable? Or do you insist we see the Mayor first?"

Shia is also foolish-intolerant....sadly for the guard.

Firesong
2008-02-24, 03:16 AM
Heradoth grins eerily as he steps forwards, his red eyes flickering as he motions his companion to follow. "This, my friend, may not be contagious, but he also cannot be infected. He doesn't have any soft spots, so to speak, either. The king's business won't wait for you, so I suggest you state either what's in there or why we should see the mayor. Both would be better." The black-clad elf stands there, motionlessly, his eyes locked with the guard. "Otherwise, we may have to go in anyway. What shall it be?"

Slartibartfast
2008-02-25, 09:40 AM
"Bbbbecause I was told nottolet aanyone in there without directordersfrom the mayor!!!!!! Don't hurt meeeeeee!!!!!!!"

The guard bubbles in hysteria and hurdles himself into a nearby corner where he cowers and sobs pitifully. You notice the heads of other guards mumbling from behind corners.

BurntOfferings
2008-02-25, 12:57 PM
Krispen

The halfling's eyes narrow at the guard's disrespectful tone, but his continence clears somewhat when his companions send the guard scurrying into the corner.

"Renaud, Shia, this 'guard' seems to be a bit confused about the the order of precedence and the chain of command. Perhaps it's best if exemplars of law such as yourselves dealt with his shortcomings."

(( Yay, the good Friar's not alone!

I suppose killing talking to the mayor would be the quickest way in. But panicking the guard is kinda fun. We'll need them later to guard survivors while we save the day, though, so we shouldn't just kill them all. ))

BurntOfferings
2008-03-10, 09:00 AM
*poke* *poke poke*

Slartibartfast
2008-03-10, 06:45 PM
I'm here. As soon as you guys do something worthy of a response, I'll post something.

Slartibartfast
2008-03-18, 06:14 PM
Friar, you still here? Anyone still here should move about and do something productive. The others might come back if their sticky list mentions activity.

BurntOfferings
2008-03-20, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I'm still here.

Slartibartfast
2008-03-20, 08:40 PM
Okay then, try making a few actions. See if your plan works. Talk to the mayor. Move on the plot. Etc, etc, etc.

BurntOfferings
2008-03-20, 09:17 PM
Krispen

Sensing from their lack of action that his taller companions aren't interested in disciplining the guard, the Friar stomps off in a bit of a huff. "I'l be back young man, mark my words. And you will regret crossing me."

Krispen heads up the stairs in search of the mayor, intent on asking what exactly is going on (and why the basement is full of plague zombies).

Slartibartfast
2008-03-21, 06:43 PM
Following the signs, the most active party member - well, more like "the most NON-SLUGGISH party member" - finds the mayors office. The door is well labeled and closed. Now what Friar?

BurntOfferings
2008-03-24, 09:25 AM
Krispen

Not bothering with the social niceties (e.g. knocking), the good Friar throws the door open and walks in. "I am Krispen Tealeaf, Friar of the goddess Vulkoria, here on the King's business. He is most distressed about the goings-on in this town. So tell me, what is in the basement of this building, and why isn't it full of civilians instead? Krispen strikes a pose of authority as he waits for an answer.

Slartibartfast
2008-03-24, 11:58 PM
The mayor almost drops his tea in surprise, although he composes himself rather quickly. He places his tea to the side and folds his hands across a neat and well-organized desk. You glance across a stack of papers, the topmost being a detailed report on recent zombie activity. "Well then, just anybody can walk in here and say they're on the king's business, but do you have evidence to back up thy words?"

BurntOfferings
2008-03-25, 12:27 PM
(( Surely the King gave us a paper or something. Who else is in the room? ))

Slartibartfast
2008-03-25, 07:58 PM
The King had indeed given you all little note-ish things with his seal on it and text basically stating you're on his business and should get listened to.

The room is sparsely decorated with personal affections, but for the most part is a well-organized room for strictly business matters. There are bookshelves with charts, scrolls, and tomes. There are several chairs around the room. Besides this, it is simply an orderly room from which to paperwork, and make decisions about the town. On the wall there is a map of the country, and a map of the town. Upon the town map there are red and green markings, supposedly of plague rat and zombie motion. Also, there is a curious blue circle drawn around the village.

BurntOfferings
2008-03-26, 10:17 AM
Krispen

"Oh, I suppose anyone could, but how often does it actually happen? Here are my royal credentials." The Friar presents the papers with a flourish. "Now, about that basement...."

Slartibartfast
2008-03-27, 12:24 AM
He appears mildly amused and flips the paper over, glancing at it. "Looks like the King finally got word of our situation. The basement as you see, was created as a haven for the town. Unfortunately as you have guessed, it has been inhabited while we were looking the other way. Although it is not zombies that haunt it, but floating brains. Ironic really. I assume Rafelonious did not send you alone now, did he? I'll bet the rest of your reconnaissance party is around here somewhere. If you could be so kind as to rid the basement of its new tenants, that would be wonderful. They haven't paid good enough rent."

He smirks at you. "Anything else you need to know?"

He seems coolly in control, like he knows what he's doing.

BurntOfferings
2008-03-27, 08:26 AM
Krispen

"I wasn't alone when I arrived here, at any rate.

"So, floating brains. What can you tell me about them? Surely you've already tried to evict them at least once. What were the consequences?"

Slartibartfast
2008-03-27, 09:19 AM
"Good, you're asking questions, smart." He seems to be rather pleased you asked for the information. "The evicters in question were swooped upon, and paralyzed by something in the tentacles of the brain-creatures, upon which a time as all of the men were unconscious and the brains wrapped themselves on the bodies and began to feast with their beaks. It was not a pretty sight. I guess describing them as just brains is too simple though, the creature also have ten tentacles hanging beneath them and a beak like that of an eagle. They seemed to try to hit opponents with the barbs on the ends of their tentacles to stun them before moving in with their beaks. They also had a rather nasty habit of swooping down, striking, and swooping back before you could get in a whack at them."

The mayor deftly swipes a paper from the middle of a stack and hands it to you. it depicts in greater detail what he just said, and includes a drawing:

(the "drawing" is pretty big so I put it in a spoiler)
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/Mysterious%20Evil/Grell.png

BurntOfferings
2008-03-27, 10:53 AM
Krispen

The good Friar looks and the illustration with interest. "My, your village has a quite talented local artist. I'm impressed. Alas, I haven't much practical knowledge in, let's say 'dungeoneering', else I'm sure I would know more about these aberrant beasts.

"How many are down there?"

Slartibartfast
2008-03-27, 08:00 PM
"I see you approve of my daughter's work. As for the beasts, we caught sight of two, but that isn't to say there weren't more hiding. After what I've told you of these flying brain creatures, I believe we are on equal grounds of knowledge."

((Don't even BOTHER looking this up in the Monster Manual, it's not there! Yes, you heard me, I finally got the Monster Manual II! Ok, technically it's my sisters, but I still use it, so HAH!))

Firesong
2008-03-28, 02:30 AM
Heradoth sweeps into the room, skeletal companion still in his wake, just in time to hear the description of the creatures in the basement, and bows. "I presume you would be the mayor," he says. "Now, were I a tactician rather than a dabbler in the arcane, then I would suggest sending in a mass of men with spears, in order that anything swooping down might be impaled, but alas, I have not the military experience necessary to come up with such an idea, so if someone else would care to suggest it, I would be most appreciative." Perhaps there is a faintly mocking tone in his voice, and maybe he wonders why nobody thought of doing such a thing before, assuming they had spears... Besides, he himself wouldn't be of much use in such a plan, given that his talents lay in other areas.

BurntOfferings
2008-03-28, 09:37 AM
Krispen

Gesturing towards the fire elf, the good Friar makes the introductions. "Mayor, meet my companion, Heradoth, master of the arcane, and his anorexic companion Taquar. Heradoth, Taquar, meet the mayor."

Krispen scratches his chin and considers the picture. "Hmm, it seems strange that flying creatures could prove so difficult to strike, especially since Flyby Attack is not equivalent to Spring Attack flight usually does not allow the same flexibility of movement as normal ground travel. Perhaps your guards could use a bit of extra training? The ones that weren't eaten, anyway." The Friar stares up at the ceiling and continues to run his chin. "Maybe we should try to capture a few zombies and throw them down the stairs to soften up these creatures for us. Unless you suspect they are related to the zombies somehow?" Krispen raises an eyebrow and looks inquiringly at the mayor.

(( Would it be a bad time to point out that grells were updated to 3.5 in Lords of Madness? Yes? Then forget I mentioned it. (The changes are small, really.) :smallwink: ))

Slartibartfast
2008-03-28, 09:30 PM
((I have the 3.5 version of Grell, so hah. Never seen Lord of Madness, but I have the 3.5 MMII which I count upon to be accurate enough. I also checked the rules [mostly Flyby Attack], what I said is legal if you assume reasonable suckage on the part of the guards in question. Didn't know Flyby Attack didn't grant immunity to AoOs though.))

"Good suggestions all. We do have a few pikemen, but the brain's stunning power was fearsome to my men. Maybe adventurers and dungeoneers could withstand the poison, or dwarves perhaps, but my soldiers are neither. They're just a town guard trained not too poorly but with little actual experience in real combat. Thy anorexic friend would probably be best suited to combat the creatures, the poison not being a matter of worry for him. Might I be able to assign you to brain sweeping duty? I don't have any firm connection between the brains and the zombies, but I would rather not take the risk of them getting along."

((I'm so glad none of you are picking up on the hints I've been dropp-*SPELL CAST ON DM: SILENCE*))

BurntOfferings
2008-03-31, 01:13 PM
Krispen

Krispen gives the mayor a suspicious look. Is he simply trying to feed them to the flying brains to get them out of the way? What malevolent scheme is he cooking, and why doen't he simply invite us to join him? Clearly more questioning is in order.

"Have these creatures ever tried to leave the basement? Any idea how they got in there in the first place? And finally, have you any equipment that we might find useful, such as an item or two left by magically-inclined plague victims?

"I must admit I am leery about facing these beasts, especially since our more martial comrades have wondered off to who-knows-where. I'd prefer a more cerebral solution to your flying brains." He chuckles at his own clever pun, then turns serious again. "Perhaps we could smoke them out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#smokeEffects). Is the basement constructed of wood?"

(( If the guards only had regular spears, Flyby-Attack plus the grells' 10-foot reach would be just as good as Spring Attack, since they'd never leave a threatened square and therefore never provoke an AoO in the first place. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-04-01, 08:45 PM
((Told you it worked somehow!))

The question is: do Grells breathe? Lemme do some research and get back to you in a bit.

BurntOfferings
2008-04-01, 08:57 PM
(( And the answer to the question is yes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType)! Not that Krispen is an expert, but it's a fairly reasonable assumption. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-04-02, 10:54 PM
((I figured as much too, but with weird monsters it's always good to check.))

"We have almost nothing. Zombies had entrenched themselves in our armory and we were forced to burn it. We have very few supplies, and barely enough men to use them. I suppose smoke might work, but I think finding fuel for the flames may be harder than you think. I'll put you in charge of slaying the brains in whatever cerebral manner you wish. I have business to attend to."

He nods to a man standing at the door with a small stack of papers. "Oh my, what do the zombies think they're doing? Mark the board please son." he mutters. The mayor straightens and looks at you.

"I've got to go assemble a defense squad in case this lot is heading towards us. I don't have many soldiers to spare, but I can probably give you five. Ask my military coordinator down in the room marked 'Town Guard', you can't miss it. Will that suffice?"

BurntOfferings
2008-04-03, 08:56 AM
Krispen

"A small token, so that your 'guards' will recognize our authority?"

The Friar spends a minute or two examining the map, then leaves to find the military coordinator.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-03, 07:13 PM
The map depicts the nearby area. There are red and green lines on the map, the red ones being much more numerous.

The map (once again in spoiler for size reasons):
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/DM-Slartibartfast/Mysterious%20Evil/MapofCurasednaVillage.png

Some of the text got really small and hard to read when I uploaded it.
The four on the right are:
{table]Library and Magik Shop|Jeweler and Gem Shop
General Store|Blacksmith's[/table]
The little works not on buildings say "homes" meaning all the unlabeled brown rectangles are houses of various sorts.

You find the right room, and show him the quick scrawl the mayor gave you. The man glances at the handwriting. "Heh, nice try buster. That's actually official. Can't bust ya now, can I?" He gives you a wink and checks a list. "Lemme see, who can I give you? I know." He gives you yet another paper with five names on it. "Take that over to the Guardhouse next door and ask for these five. They'll take your orders, because you're their new commander until further notice."

The list reads:
Timmy Timmidy (pronounced "TIM-id-EE")
Gerald T. Herald
Newton McApple
Mannish Nongrral ("NON-grr-AL")
Fantom Phreddy Fillip Phillian

BurntOfferings
2008-04-07, 11:23 AM
Krispen

The Good Friar nods in acknowledgement. "My thanks, sir." He then proceeds to the guardhouse to collect his new minions. "Are these your real names? Honestly, your parents should be slapped. Well, no matter. Our mission is to rid the basement of a flying brain infestation. I intend to use fire. Well, smoke, really, but fire is a good source of smoke. What we need are a large number of easily portable combustible items. Wood, cloth, oil, any of that is good. What we want is a good thick black sooty smoke. Now, before we begin our scavenger hunt, do any of you have any special skills I should know about? Preferred weapon, that sort of thing?"

Once the soldiers are sent out on their mission, Krispen will visit the blacksmith's shop and the magic shop to get the proprietors' professional opinions on what would make the best smoke for his purposes. He'll also take a few minutes to browse the magic shop's wares.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-09, 12:14 AM
I'm currently buried in pre-spring break projects and I want to do some research before I respond to that one. I should be able to get something up by Saturday, but I'm not sure what kind of "Simple Projects" I'll have scheduled over the break. I'll put something up when I can, just giving you the heads up.

BurntOfferings
2008-04-09, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-12, 11:52 AM
Alright, to answer Friar's question I'm almost done with their Character Sheets (I hadn't really planned to give you NPCs until everyone left) and I'm trying to figure out not what the real answers to your questions are, but the ones these guys would know. I'll edit this post into something real hopefully by the end of today, but from about noon to six I'll be at my Real Life D&D group trying to start them off on this very campaign. How original I am, using the Mysterious Evil online and then stealing my own campaign for RL gaming.

BurntOfferings
2008-04-12, 02:31 PM
I'll edit this post into something real hopefully by the end of today, but from about noon to six I'll be at my Real Life D&D group trying to start them off on this very campaign. How original I am, using the Mysterious Evil online and then stealing my own campaign for RL gaming.

Oh, so you've got the first hour of gaming all prepared, then. :smallamused:

Slartibartfast
2008-04-12, 10:01 PM
With my group? We got to the front of the wolf den. But we didn't enter it. VERY time-efficient they are. We spent most of the day making obscure references to inappropriate topics at least one of the others couldn't understand. Getting back to work now.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-13, 01:02 PM
One of them speaks up. "Sir, this shaky one who can't stop looking around is Timmy, I'm Gerald, the guy with the glasses is Newton, that lovely lady is Mannish, and the quite one on the end is Fantom. All of us have been trained a little to look and listen at least a little, to familiarize ourself with animals and riding. Timmy is tricky to hold on to him in a grapple, and not a bad swimmer in the least. Newton just kinda knows things, he's got all kinds of knowledge, and he's also good at finding things. Mannish can climb, and is great with animals and riding, and excellent swimmer, and has been known to be quite intimidating. Fantom was trained as a tracker, he can follow tracks pretty well, and he's very good at stealth."

Newton continues the dialog. "Gerald is a good at convincing people to do what he wants, and getting information from allies. He's also good a lying and seeing through our bluffs. He can intimidate people too, but not as well as Mannish. That was scary that one time, poor guy..."

Timmy speaks: "There was a lot of combustible rubble in the armory we could salvage."

Mannish: "There's some oil in the storeroom we could use."

Fantom smirks. "This dumb plan might actually work."

The blacksmith agrees with your lackeys' plan to find combustibles, and the guy at the magik shop doesn't think Smokesticks will be of much use for your current goal.

BurntOfferings
2008-04-14, 09:39 AM
(( I was thinking more of alchemist's fire than smokesticks. Is there any to be had? ))

Krispen

"Fantom, I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to know that you approve of my plan.

"Mannish, you're in charge of acquiring the oil. Anyone you can bully into helping out would be a plus. The rest of you, start lugging combustible rubble from the armory. I'll be doing what I can to make sure the smoke stays where we want it to."

Once the minions scurry off to fulfill their tasks, the good Friar will see if there are any other openings to the basement (other than the main door), and work to make them as airtight as possible.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-19, 12:44 AM
Sorry I was gone for so long, I bought Brawl and didn't turn on my computer at all for awhile. Now It's late, my stepmom's dad has a birthday party tomorrow a 3-hour drive away, and I have emails and non-game stuff to deal with I have neglected. I'll try and get something up Sunday, but might fail.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-22, 08:36 AM
There are 12 flasks of alchemical fire left, but inflated to 30 GP due to "rarity," and the certainty of no restocking.

The minions converse slightly before bringing up one question. "So, we just head out and gather fuel? Is there a rendezvous time or do you come get us?"
"Me too, I'm gathering oil from people, how will I know when to finish? Meet back in an hour maybe?"

As for the Basement itself: you find that in the design plan there are many small airtubes coming out in various places around the building for the exact purpose of keeping the inhabitants breathing. There is a sort of magikal field on them to keep airborne toxins out, but looking at the specifics of the spell you see a flaw that the field (Hey, realism here, every program has a couple bugs hiding somewhere!) merely blocks toxins, suggesting that if you get the toxin within the air system and inside the basement it will hold it in just as well. This could mean that if you can get the fields to at least temporarily acknowledge smoke as a toxin it might keep the smoke in for you.

BurntOfferings
2008-04-25, 09:16 AM
Krispen

"Sure, we'll meet back here in an hour."

As Krispen has no ranks in Knowledge (arcana), he'll simply plug up the air tubes with more mundane means (e.g. wet rags and mud).

Also, he will buy a single flash of alchemist's fire.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-26, 12:08 AM
Much to his dismay, the rags and mud are repulsed by the fields. He'll have to either figure out how to trick the fields (I'll let you roll the knowledge skill untrained with a -5 penalty for not having studied it purposefully) or get something the field can't counteract.

The alchemical fire purchase goes excellently. Go deduct the 30 GP if you haven't already.

Do you keep trying or meet up with the minions? You still have most of your time left.

Firesong
2008-04-26, 01:28 PM
Heradoth moves back into the room, a satisfied smile - he seems to be pleased in a rather unnerving way - upon his face, and he remains there, watching the friar's attempts to block off the air tubes. "I'm sorry I'm late," he says, ignoring the things rolling away from the fields.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-27, 02:27 AM
What room Heradoth? Friar Krispen is outside failing to clog tubes.

Firesong
2008-04-27, 05:11 AM
My mistake; as it doesn't actually say exactly where he was, I'd assumed he was inside the building while looking for other entrances (that's where I'd look, anyways)... although having him walk outside works just as well...

BurntOfferings
2008-04-27, 10:42 AM
Krispen

The good friar, clearly frustrated, looks up. "Ah, Heradoth. I'm glad you're back. Perhaps your knowledge of the arcane will reveal a way to use these accursed magical fields to keep the smoke I intend to generate in the basement from escaping."

Firesong
2008-04-27, 11:18 PM
Heradoth nods, a glimmer of curiousity coming to his eyes. "Indeed? Are you certain, then, that smoke does pass through the barrier?" He waves his hand dismissively. "No matter." Stepping forwards, he examines (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1580094/) the tubes, and pulls a few various powders from the pouch in which he keeps his various magical aids, sprinkling the merest pinch of some poisonous herbs against it, followed by the merest pinch of of some pleasant-smelling incense. "Interesting," he comments.

Slartibartfast
2008-04-28, 09:18 AM
This barrier is a highly sophisticated magik; it blocks out substances it deems harmful and allows others to pass through, with a learning clause to monitor nearby humanoids and determine from their reactions to the substances whether they are dangerous or not. There is also a direct link to each of the other barriers so that they share their knowledge.

You believe you could train the barrier to repulse a substance, such as smoke, if you had enough of that substance with you a little bit of time with the barrier. You also believe you could later untrain the barrier. You note that the barrier is flawed in that it block substances both ways; it won't let harmful things in, but it won't let them out either, just like any force field. That would be harder to fix, but you think you still could given enough time.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-02, 11:15 AM
Krispen

The good friar attempts to watch Heradoth work by looking over his shoulder, but eventually settles for looking under his elbow.

"Well? What have you discovered?"

Firesong
2008-05-03, 12:09 AM
"It appears to be almost intelligent," Heradoth notes. "Whoever created it had some talent. It learns from the reactions of those around it. I would hazard the guess that if we brought people here and had them react negatively to smoke - inhalation and coughing, most likely - that the barrier would decide to cease letting it pass. It blocks things both ways, so once it has learnt that, we should be able to exterminate the creatures within."

BurntOfferings
2008-05-03, 01:15 PM
Krispen

The good friar gives the fire elf an incredulous look. "Are you serious? Adaptive magical barriers?" Krispen looks around at the decrepit town. "How, exactly, did this tiny excuse for a town come in possession of such powerful magicks? Ah well, I suppose that's a mystery for another time. My minions should be returning shortly. We can use them to teach the barrier about smoke. Will we need to teach each barrier separately, or are they connected in some way?"

When the minions return, we'll use some of the supplies they gathered to start a small smoky fire. Fantom will be subjected to a lot more smoke than the others. :smallamused:

Firesong
2008-05-03, 11:04 PM
"That is something I wish to learn as well, though you are right; it is for another time. They are connected," he responds simply. "What one knows, they all know." With that, he folds his arms and waits patiently.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-07, 10:47 AM
Krispen

The halfling looks around impatiently, tapping his foot.

"These new minions certainly are taking their own sweet time. I expected them back by now. Do you suppose they were attacked?"

Slartibartfast
2008-05-10, 12:42 AM
Each lugging their own respective loads, the five underlings return.

"Well, here we are. We got a bunch of wood and rags and stuff. It'll all burn."

"I've got oil. This will start up our fire nicely."

"Now what's the next part of the plan?"

BurntOfferings
2008-05-12, 10:39 AM
Krispen

"Ah yes, the next part. I'm glad you asked. Before we do anything else, we must first 'train' these clever magical filters that smoke is bad for you. Therefore we must first start a small but smoky fire here next to this ventilation shaft, while you four stand in the smoke and act like it's killing you. Feel free to ham it up. Fantom, it's my understanding that it is vitally important that you in particular get a big lungful of smoke. I don't have time to explain it, it's complicated magical... stuff. Remember, this is all for the good of the town."

Krispen smiles in a less than reassuring way as he begins to construct a campfire over the ventilation shaft (or as near as the field will allow). He uses a bit of the oil to make sure the fire will start without a problem. Satisfied with his work, he takes flint and steel from his backpack and sets the oily wood alight.

Stepping back, he says, "Alright you lot, you're up. Make it feel real."

Slartibartfast
2008-05-13, 11:11 PM
After much coughing, choking, and suffocation, you find the task to be done when suddenly a small sphere forms around the field where smoke is repulsed.

It appears no more smoke will pass through the barrier.

The minions look up to you for the next step in the plan.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-15, 01:32 PM
Krispen

The good Friar rubs his hands together in satisfaction. "Well done! But that was the easy part. Now we need to start the fire in the basement. We'll need to open and guard the door while tossing wood down the stairway. What weapons are available? From what the mayor described, I'd say that longspears and similar weapons would be best, in case one of those floating brains comes up the stairs." Friar Krispen directs his underlings to move the supplies inside and stack them near the basement door.

Slartibartfast
2008-05-16, 08:54 PM
The group moves their flammables to the door.

You find that each underling has one longspear and one shortspear. Apparently the mayor also realized you might need spears when he assigned these men to you. One of them has the key to the basement. Now you must complete your plan...

BurntOfferings
2008-05-19, 10:19 AM
Krispen

"Alright, the three of you that are most skilled with the long spear, position yourselves to attack anything that tries to come through the door. The other two, prepare to toss the wood and other combustibles down the stairs. The oil goes last. YOU," says the good Friar, simultaneously pointing dramatically at the door's guard, while swiping the key to the door's lock, "will ready your weapon and defend the spearbearers if the floating brains get too close. I'll open the door for you. Heradoth and I will provide magical assistance as needed.

"Ready? Good. Then here we go...." And with that, Krispen unlocks and opens the door.

Firesong
2008-05-19, 02:32 PM
Heradoth smiles enigmatically. "You," he says, nodding at the skeleton. "If any of the brains escape, strike them down. Satisfied, he moves off to the edge while his servant clutches his sword, waiting, but not moving. Raising his hands, he prepares to unleash his wrath upon anything attempting to escape the room. Assuming the minions can't handle it, anyway...

Slartibartfast
2008-05-19, 05:57 PM
Gerald, Mannish, and Newton place themselves in the doorway. Fantom and Timmy prepare to hurl debris down into the basement. The door opens, and everything seems to be going as planned. You hear a strange, rustling, squishy noise. It comes towards you, into the light, as hideous as the picture displayed it. Emerging, the brains approach your warriors. The lit canisters of oil are thrown through the doorway, and Mannish slams the door shut. Retreating to the top of the stairs, the soldiers close the second door for good measure, and then you wait. You hear the explosion as the oil sets off, and then silence.

Do you wait longer, or investigate the basement?

BurntOfferings
2008-05-19, 06:33 PM
(( What's the hurry? Let the smoke do it's work. I say we break for supper. Halfling's gotta geat, ya know. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-05-20, 08:42 AM
No hurry, I just wanted to see if you were impatient/stupid. You leave the normal guard on duty and break for a meal.

((I leave for school.))

BurntOfferings
2008-05-20, 10:31 AM
Krispen

Later that evening.... :smallwink:

Krispen pushes back from the table where the mayor so generously provided a filling meal from the town's meager stores. "Not bad, not bad, considering the circumstances. A bit heavy on the oregano."

Turning towards Heradoth, he asks, "So, shall we venture into the basement and see if floating brains can breathe smoke?"

Firesong
2008-05-22, 01:06 AM
"Indeed, I believe it's time to do so," Heradoth responds, grinning. "Even if they are capable of breathing smoke, I doubt they're capable of breathing fire or steel; the first of which we can provide, and the second of which our minions, both living and dead, can bear fore us."

BurntOfferings
2008-05-22, 09:06 AM
Krispen

The halfling belches loudly, rubs his full belly, and grins. "Then let's be off! Gerald! Mannish! Newton! Fantom! Timmy! Rudolph! You did well earlier. Now it's time to follow up. Arm yourselves and come with us."

Unless someone or something stops us, we'll go back to the door, open it, and start down. Fantom will take point. :smallamused:

Slartibartfast
2008-05-22, 07:09 PM
Tha lot o' ye march down yon basement stairs, to tha most strangest o' sights. Tha brains be still living, but float round and round in random trajectories. They bounce off o' tha walls and off'n each other. Tha three brains yonder make gurgling and chirruping noises in the oddest of fashions. They don' even appear ta have noticed ye, as if in a drunken daze. Tha last time any o' ye had seen someone like this was when 'e filled a treasure chamber with Funny Flowers ((a rough equivalent of high-power hallucinatory marijuana)), locked 'imself in, and spent the night while them flowers burned. These 'ere brains 'ave lost all semblances of intelligence, and simply bouncin' as momentum might carry them. Sometimes they'll make an energetic spurt in a random direction, but then they'll resume to twist and twirl as they floated in an artificial zero-G created by their natural flight power. Tha hilarity! Now what doth ye do? ((Hooray for Pirate speech!))

BurntOfferings
2008-05-22, 09:05 PM
Krispen

The good Friar arches an eyebrow as he watches the monstrous creatures bounce around. "A ha! Just as I planned! Now it's time for you lot to really earn your pay. Choose a target, take up flanking positions, and KILL it! Repeat with the others. Try not to get eaten. Heradoth and I are ready with magical backup.

"Heradoth, five is an odd number; would you consent to sending your anorexic comrade into combat with these five?" Krispen readies and loads his sling while he addresses his companion.

(( Minions don't get a share of the XP, right? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure that Talk Like a Pirate Day is September 18th or thereabouts. :smalltongue: ))

Slartibartfast
2008-05-22, 09:45 PM
((Screw the calander. I'm talking like a Pirate NOW!!!))

Okay, according to The Rulebook these NPCs would get a share of the XP. Each. Or, I could use the Cohort XP rules where they get a half share of XP that's not deducted from the total XP earned. So if I awarded 16 XP for the encounter, Friar and Heradoth would get 8 each, and the Cohorts get 4 each.

Amazingly, your friends take down the first brain with an uber crit hit on the first roll. Mannish, amazed, looks at the shreds at her feet. The rest of the minions kill the second brain. The third brain remains uninjured. The third brain starts to make strange noises of anew variety, and you realize that it's singing. Taquar then owns its face, and it screams and rolls away, swiping at the skeleton. The poison has no effect on Taquar.

Friar and Heradoth's turn.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-22, 10:03 PM
Krispen

(( Aww, I thought they were just hirelings that someone else paid for. Also, I hope Heradoth was okay with Taquar mixing it up without his permission. :smallamused: ))

The good Friar lets loose with his sling, sending a shot riquocheting wildly around the room. Undaunted, he reloads to try again.

I'm pretty sure that a 4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1603642/) is a big miss. :smallyuk:

Slartibartfast
2008-05-22, 10:14 PM
Lemme rephrase the cohort thing. They are not counted as being in the party, then gain half of whatever a party member XP share was. It's like them not being there, but they get better anyways. :smallwink:

Meanwhile, Heradoth's turn. Sorry about using Taquar, but I figured He's do that anyways, knowing that whenever we suggest a plan of action to take with Taquar Heradoth takes it. :smalltongue:

Firesong
2008-05-24, 08:12 AM
Heradoth mutters something under his breath and extends one arm, a thin, blue beam (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1604918/) extending from it and shooting toward the seemingly brain-dead brain.


OOC: Well, I was actually going to keep Heradoth out of the way this time so I could toast things with impunity... so... ray of frost it is!

Slartibartfast
2008-05-24, 12:29 PM
The brain squeals in agony. The minions finish it off.

NOTICE: My posting is going to be more shaky now, because my laptop just broke. I'll try to steal my sisters computer when I can to post, but it's really up to her when I can get internet.

Slartibartfast
2008-05-26, 10:07 PM
By the way, feel free to keep posting. The game may be slower but we can still keep it going. Finals are coming up, so my posting was going to get slower anyways.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-27, 09:11 AM
Krispen

The good Friar stows his sling before doing a little victory dance around the corpses of the floating brains, while praying to Vulkoria in thanks. "The holy fires of Vulkoria smote these abominations and granted us a great victory!" and so on and so on. Eventually he gets around to searching the bodies and the basement. "Excellent! Now, let's try to determine how these creatures entered the basement in the first place. Everyone search!" [i]And if we gather a little loot in the process, so much the better.... (1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1607266/)

Slartibartfast
2008-05-27, 07:42 PM
The basement is filled with objects you might normally find in a hideout. Equipment for survival, with some rudimentary entertainment devices. (ball and cup, ball without cup, cup in ball, etc.)

Besides the portal of consecrated evil, you see no way in which the Brains could have entered the basement.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-27, 08:36 PM
Krispen

"Hey look, a Portal of Consecrated Evil! Oooooooh.... Aaaaaaah.... Didn't expect to find one of those here. So, what do you think, Heradoth? Can we keep it?" The not-so-good Friar rubs his hands together in anticipation.

(( "Consecrated" implies divinity, so here's a Knowledge (religion) check (1d20+8=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1607965/) to gain some info on the portal. Maybe Heradoth can make a Knowledge (arcana) check? I can also do Knowledge (the planes) if that would be applicable. ))

Slartibartfast
2008-05-28, 11:04 PM
Dammit! Now I have to go look up knowledge to figure out which ones apply! just a second....

Slartibartfast
2008-05-28, 11:42 PM
You really seem to recognize this. It was in one of your textbooks, you're sure of it. It's stuck right on the tip of your brain, just as if you missed the DC by two. You're pretty sure that if you could find your old textbooks it would come to you. Too bad you burned those in teenage angst at the end of the year. Hey, it was a flaming sacrifice to Vulkoria.

You do think you know how to close it though.

The portal seems to repel you, as if it really doesn't want you to go through it.

BurntOfferings
2008-05-29, 10:43 AM
(( Um... So how do I close it? Also, would any other Knowledge skills yield useful information? ))

Slartibartfast
2008-05-30, 05:17 PM
You remember one of the rites of Vulkoria which should be able to seal of a portal of this ilk.

Your other knowledge skills tell you:
The kind of magik seems familiar. A kind of arcane magik, somehow related to your religion textbook... ah, you forget.

This is a single-plane disturbance of the Wrinkle variety. Someone bored through to some other point nearby on the material plane. You're not entirely sure if that other point is a safe location for humanoids though...

((No other Knowledge was useful/succeeded))

BurntOfferings
2008-06-02, 11:05 AM
Krispen

Now where did that wizard go? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try and close this thing myself, instead of using it to further my nefarious aims.

The good Friar light some candles, disrobes, and dances naked around the portal while sprinkling wine on the floor and the amazed lackeys. Once the ritual is complete, he dresses and gulps down the remaining wine before facing his minions.

"What?"

Slartibartfast
2008-06-02, 05:19 PM
The portal sputters, closes slowly and disappears with a dramatic bang, and seals with a rather anticlimactic boink.

As the minions blink, they turn to each other to confirm that they had in fact just seen a cleric get naked and dance around a portal with wine.

Taquar expresses a new kind of indifference as if he acknowledged the closing of the portal.

With an awesome Knowledge(Religion) roll, Friar Krispen remembers that undead had an affinity to certain kinds of magik. You take note of his reaction and think that with a little study, meaning access to a library, you could figure out more about that portal.

One of the minions (you're not sure which one) remarks: "Heh, I wonder if we could find a book in the library about recorded events of strip dancing clerics. We could add this one in I bet!"

BurntOfferings
2008-06-03, 10:39 AM
Krispen

"Well, now that that's done, let's go ask the mayor why he had a Portal of Consecrated Evil in the cellar. It could be that he was up to some sort of mischief, and got in over his head. After that, we should determine if the plague rats and plague zombies are still active, and if the magical barrier surrounding the town is still in existence. Follow me!" The good Friar heads back up the stairs and into the mayor's office, minions in tow.

On the way he asks, "I couldn't help but overhear a mention of a library. Is there one in this town? I might need to peruse it later."

Slartibartfast
2008-06-03, 04:33 PM
The minions exchange looks of guilt quickly.

"There's a library here in the Town Hall, by the mayor's office. It's the only one though, besides personal libraries."

You notice the library as you enter the mayor's office. The mayor has returned.

"You're back. What news do you bring?"

BurntOfferings
2008-06-06, 04:04 PM
Krispen

The good Friar proudly states, "The floating brains were dispatched without casualties or any other difficulties. It's once again safe to be used as a shelter for the populace. I am, however, quite curious about the Portal of Concecrated Evil we found down there. I was forced to close it to make sure no other beasties wandered through. I hypothesize that this portal may have some connection to the plague zombies, as well as the magical barrier surrounding the town."

Krispen arches an eyebrow as he leans towards the mayor. "You wouldn't know anything about that portal, would you?"

Sensing the mayor's motives: (1d20 3=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1618243/) Krispen expects him to lie.

Slartibartfast
2008-06-06, 07:41 PM
"Hmmm, waitwhat? A portal of what? A PORTAL OF CONSECRATED EVIL IN MY VERY BASEMENT!?!?!"

He appears to be telling the truth that he was oblivious to it.

"Well, I'm glad you closed it at least. Any ideas on what could have created the portal? Where it might have lead?"

The mayor paces back and forth in frustration. He's truly distraught, or is the best bluffer you have met in awhile.

BurntOfferings
2008-06-09, 04:23 PM
Krispen

Just my luck, an aristocrat with max ranks in Bluff, plus at least 5 ranks in Diplomacy for the synergy bonus. He probably took Deceitful and Skill Focus (Bluff), too. Bah! Vulkoria take them all!

"I'm sure I have no idea. Apparently it was here before I arrived. Mind if I use your library for a bit? Thanks.

"You fellows, go check on the current situation with the barrier, the zombies, and the plague rats. Try not to get bitten."

The good Friar heads to the library, hoping to find a clue as to how the mayor came in possession of a Portal of Consecrated Evil.

Slartibartfast
2008-06-09, 07:43 PM
Succeeding your metagaming check, you head off to the library, disgruntled.
This is what your research check tells you:

Undead (such as Taquar) are attuned to evil, consecrated magik, and the magik of other undead; even more so when some of the above are combined.
You believe the portal was created by a powerful undead, thus causing such a major reaction from Taquar.
The portal seemed to be a minor monoplanar disturbance, maybe traversing a few miles at the most. And it was created from inside the basement.
According to some reports you found, the Plague Rats seem to be hiding from something at night, possibly the Smart Zombies.
The Smart Zombies do not seem to be Plague Bearers, and always take their corpses with them. A rare surviving witness reported that after the Smart Zombie had attacked her husband, no Plague Clouds had appeared. The Zombie pursued her a ways, but retreated to the corpse, which was never found. Drag marks lead away from the town until they vanished. When asked to comment on this story, the mayor said he did not believe it, that "These commoners couldn't tell a zombie from a vampire. These Smart Zombies may be smart, but I believe she saw a normal zombie attempting to imitate it's more intelligent kin. Badly."

Color brought to you by Shiny Inc.

You find nothing else in this session. Do you wish to search for more data in the library, or move on? And why can't I get these damn colors to go away...

BurntOfferings
2008-06-10, 09:47 AM
(( What time is it? Is the sun still up? ))

Slartibartfast
2008-06-10, 01:35 PM
It's evening, about 5:30 PM.

The minions report that the Plague Rats have retreated into their burrows for the night, and the zombies have not yet shown themselves.

BurntOfferings
2008-06-10, 04:45 PM
Krispen

Completing his research, the good Friar goes in search of his minions. "Mannish, dear, could you come with me for a moment? I'd like your assistance in questioning one of your fellow militiamen. Newton, you come too. I have a job for you as well, and I'd like to get started as soon as the interrogation is done."

The halfling leads the two underlings to the guard previously stationed at the basement door (( this may require some searching about, since there's no reason for him to be at the door anymore )). "Young fellow, I have a few more questions for me. Now, you know that I have the trust of both the mayor and the king, and have been working diligently for the benefit of this town. So you know that you must answer my questions truthfully and fully. Mannish here would be quite upset if you were to dissemble." *cue Mannish to intimidatingly crack her knuckles.*

"Now, tell me true, who has been down in this basement? No need to mention me or those who went with me, but don't leave out anyone else. Even if it's the mayor."

Krispen waits for an answer. He leaves the intimidation to Mannish, since she's supposedly good at it.

(( Was there a window in the mayor's office? Are vampires in this world obsessive counters? (Vampiric knowledge (1d20 8=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1622808/) if necessary.) ))

Slartibartfast
2008-06-10, 05:53 PM
"Agghh, um, I don't know! Nobody has gone down there at all while I was on watch, but the duties switch a lot to prevent conspiracies. I haven't seen anyone, but that means just about nothing..."
The guard trembles.
"Why do you always pick on me? Can I go now?"

BurntOfferings
2008-06-11, 10:29 AM
Krispen

The good Friar eyes the guard disapprovingly. "Stop whining. Who else guarded this door, and where can I find them?"

Slartibartfast
2008-06-11, 07:31 PM
"Ask the guard captain, he has all of the logs."

BurntOfferings
2008-06-17, 03:42 PM
Krispen

"Fine." Rolling his eyes to express his opinion of the guard's usefulness, the good Friar makes his way to the captain. On the way, he asks Mannish and Newton, "Do either of you recall seeing the mayor walking around outside during daylight hours?"

To the captain (once he finds him): "The situation is much worse than it seems, Captain. I need to know who's been down in the basement. If there's any way to know who went down there before a regular guard was posted, so much the better."

(( My previous question wasn't answered, so I'll repeat it. Was there a window in the mayor's office? Are vampires in this world obsessive counters? (Vampiric knowledge (1d20 8=21) if necessary.) ))

Slartibartfast
2008-06-18, 04:31 PM
((What do you mean by "obsessive counters"?))

"Yeah, the mayor goes outside all the time, as long as he has his hat." The minions seem confuse by such a simple question.


The guard captain continues the unhelpfulness:
"Before a regular guard was posted? Well, not that I would know of. There's a rumor going around that ol' Doc Durma was seen entering the basement shortly before the brains came, but I don't believe that rubbish."

Firesong
2008-06-18, 11:08 PM
(I believe he's referring to the Chinese mythological tradition in which when confronted with a pile of rice, they would be forced to count every grain before they could pass it - thus, if the sun came up before they were done, they'd have to turn around and start the next night.)

Heradoth mutters something under his breath, and folds his arms in front of him. "You don't need to wait until you're asked before you answer. If you know anything which might prove useful, it would be most helpful if you'd tell us know." He grimaces. "You say this information about the doctor is a rumour, but where did it come from?"

Slartibartfast
2008-06-20, 02:08 PM
"That old rumor? I dunno, I just heard the soldiers talking about it one day. Don't really get into gossip that much. I'm not really sure where you're going with this, so I can't really think of anything else you might want to know" He shrugs. "Sorry."

BurntOfferings
2008-06-20, 04:54 PM
Krispen

(( Re. vampires, Firesong nailed it, although I was thinking more of that X-Files episode, plus a few other examples. I didn't know the origin. ))

"I understand. If something comes to mind later, another stange rumor, or unusual behavior, be sure to let us know." He turns and leaves, hoping the others will follow.

Once in the hallway and away from any guards, he resumes speaking. "I suppose the best course of action for now is to find out what Doc Durma knows about Portals of Concecrated Evil. But I do have another suspicion....

"Newton, tell me, is anyone in our little group skilled at, shall we say, collecting items in a discrete fashion, without necessarily getting the permission of the owner?"

Leaning towards Heradoth, the good friar whispers, "Keep this to yourself for now, but I suspect the mayor is more than he seems. Perhaps we should bring a mirror into his office the next time we visit."

Slartibartfast
2008-06-20, 09:22 PM
Huh, didn't know about rice counting vampires.

Answers to the counting question:
"Well, he does keep track of lots of different things. All kinds of soldiers and zombies, papers and books and reports. Yeah, he really does count a whole lot of stuff."

BurntOfferings
2008-06-26, 05:16 PM
So... let's go find out what Doc Durma knows about Portals of Concecrated Evil.

Slartibartfast
2008-06-27, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna be gone until Monday. Keep RPing if you like, or give me a notice for when I get back of what you're going to do. Give me an actual action, do not imply anything in character speech.

Slartibartfast
2008-07-07, 11:09 AM
So confirm for me, you guys going to Doc Durma's or discussing what you will do when you get there?

Firesong
2008-07-23, 02:19 AM
Heradoth frowns. "Perhaps, perhaps. You don't happen to have such a mirror that we could bring with us, do you?" Unfortunate that he doesn't need a mirror for his spells, it seems, for upon rummaging through his pouch, he comes up empty-handed. "I'd imagine some people," he begins, glancing at the minions, "might not think to keep it to themselves by themselves, but it seems fairly sensible."

OOC: We might as well discuss it on the way, eh?

Slartibartfast
2008-07-23, 04:33 PM
You arrive at Doc Durma's. Do you plan your approach or barge through his door?

Slartibartfast
2008-08-29, 11:19 PM
I'm about ready to call this officially dead. All in agreement?

If I don't get quorum to continue by Saturday the 6th, I'm closing this game down.

Firesong
2008-09-12, 01:11 PM
I shall not be glad to see it dead, but I suppose, it being later than the 6th, it is so... And I just got back to school/frequent posting, too. Ah well. It's been an... interesting... situation. Thanks for keeping it going despite the all-too-frequent lack of posting.