PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Custodian of the Gilded Sun [EPIC PRC, PEACH]

BelGareth
2018-06-11, 03:15 PM
Custodian of the Gilded Sun

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feat: Throw of the Gentle Sun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?95435-9-Martial-Discipline-Epic-Feats)
Skill: Sense Motive 28 ranks

CLASS FEATURES

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): Custodian of the Gilded Sun’s class skills are Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Listen, Martial lore, Move silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Spellcraft, Swim, & Tumble.

Hit Dice: 1d8

LevelSpecial
1stSupreme Mastery, Sun's Zenith
2ndDawn's Light
3rdTwlight's Ascent
4thFlash of the Golden Sun
5thHorizon Zero Dawn

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Custodians of the Gilded Sun gain no proficiencies.

Supreme Mastery: Levels in Custodian of the Gilded Sun count as 2 levels of a martial initiator class when calculating your initiator level.

Sun's Zenith (Ex): As you reach the zenith of the Setting Suns dogma and become a living example of it's ideals, you have mastered the art of knowing your enemy, and your Setting Sun maneuvers become even more lethal. You can now make Sense Motive checks in place of STR or DEX checks for combat maneuvers. Additionally, all of your Setting sun maneuver DC's become 10 + 1/2 your level + Wis modifier.

Dawns Light (Ex): When your ire is risen, your very being is infused with the power of the Gilded Sun, empowering your strikes, and allowing you to punish those foolhardy enough to do so. Your unarmed attacks bypass all damage reduction except for byeshk.

Twlight's Ascent (Ex): Your being is in constant twilight, causing your body to move with the light, forcing opponents to constantly guess where you will be. You gain a 50% miss chance against all attacks that target you, the effect of this ability does not stack with blur, displacement, or similar spell effects. Additionally, if you take the Total Defense action, you receive a dodge bonus to your AC equal to your character level, and if an attacker misses you, they instead hit themselves.

Flash of the Golden Sun (Su): As light moves so do you, with but a flash of the golden sun, you are there. As a free action, once per round, you may teleport anywhere you can see that is within line of sight.

Horizon Zero Dawn (Ex): There is no dawn for the enemies of the Gilded Sun, and those who face it's custodians realize this reality first hand. You learn the zenith maneuver of the Setting Sun.

Setting Sun (Strike)
Level: Custodian of the Gilded Sun 5
Initiation Action: 1 standard
Range: Melee attack
Target: Creature touched

Like the embodiment of the carnal sun, you move to grab your opponent, and flick them up into the air, appearing next to them, to smash them back down to earth.
This maneuver functions like Mighty Throw except as noted here.

As part of this maneuver, you must succeed on a melee touch attack against your foe. Resolve the throw as a trip attempt, but you do not provoke attacks of opportunity, and your opponent cannot try to trip you if you lose the opposed check. You can use your Dexterity or Strength modifier, or a sense motive check, whichever is higher. You gain a +10 bonus on the trip check. If you succeed in tripping your foe, you throw it 30 feet in the air above you, for every 5 points by which you win the opposed check, you gain an additional 20 feet of throw range. You immediately appear above them and strike them with a single, powerful, perfect blow, sending them back down to the ground, they take 10d6 damage +1d6 per 10ft they traveled back down to the ground, are prone and stunned for 1 round, additionally they must make a fort save or be stunned for 9 additional rounds. You appear in the same spot as before you initiated this maneuver. This maneuver ignores abilities the target has that would counter it, such as flying, or effects similar to feather fall, such is the power and majesty of the Horizon Zero Dawn maneuver.

An enemy you throw with this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity for passing through enemies’ threatened areas as part of the throw, and you can throw an enemy through occupied squares.

06/13/18 - Updated some grammatical errors, and wording.

JoshuaZ
2018-06-13, 10:06 AM
Is there a reason you have to be at least 25th level to take this? I don't see any obvious balance issue if someone went into it at say 22nd or 23rd, although I'm not an expert on Epic. Also, a skill requirement would seem more natural than a hard level requirement, maybe require 28 ranks in Sense Motive?

Now comments: "Suns Zenith" should be "Sun's Zenith" and "Dawns Light" should be "Dawn's Light."

Suggestions: Dawn's Light is a bit weak. One tweak to consider: give a bonus to attack rolls made with unarmed strikes against foes which have any form of light vulnerability and and make any such attacks be treated as having the Ghost Touch property against such foes if they are incorporeal.

Flash of the Golden Sun should probably be supernatural. Even for an epic ability, that seems more supernatural than extraordinary. Also, it isn't well-defined. Can I for example teleport to the moon if I can see it?

Horizon Zero Dawn- "You learn the 10th and final maneuver of the Setting Sun."- There are more than 9 maneuvers in Setting Sun.

BelGareth
2018-06-13, 10:35 AM
Is there a reason you have to be at least 25th level to take this? I don't see any obvious balance issue if someone went into it at say 22nd or 23rd, although I'm not an expert on Epic. Also, a skill requirement would seem more natural than a hard level requirement, maybe require 28 ranks in Sense Motive?
You might be right, that would fit the pattern with other epic prestige classes.

Now comments: "Suns Zenith" should be "Sun's Zenith" and "Dawns Light" should be "Dawn's Light."
Thanks, I'll fix those.

Suggestions: Dawn's Light is a bit weak. One tweak to consider: give a bonus to attack rolls made with unarmed strikes against foes which have any form of light vulnerability and and make any such attacks be treated as having the Ghost Touch property against such foes if they are incorporeal.
Hmm, interesting, that's a good point, initially this was designed for a swordsage mostly using setting sun, but there is no reason a Monk who dabbles couldn't take it either, the former would have no way to overcome DR (which was the intent), but this is more thematic, and allows/encourages other build types.

Flash of the Golden Sun should probably be supernatural. Even for an epic ability, that seems more supernatural than extraordinary. Also, it isn't well-defined. Can I for example teleport to the moon if I can see it?
Oh yeah, totally, I got carried away with the Ex, but this should definitely be a Su ability. And yes, if you can see it, you can teleport to it, though, maybe it would be good to define, as, with the naked eye, you could say, teleport to the moon, but it wouldn't be accurate, maybe adding something like "act's like Teleport spell" to something beyond your normal range of vision, else Greater teleport

Horizon Zero Dawn- "You learn the 10th and final maneuver of the Setting Sun."- There are more than 9 maneuvers in Setting Sun.

Yes. Hah, my brain took over and my fingers hadn't caught up, should have read, 10th level maneuver, or something thereof. I'll have to rewrite that when my brain wakes up.

Thanks for the critique!