PDA

View Full Version : Frist Rugby Match of the Season

Exeson
2007-09-08, 03:53 AM
So, I am not sure how many other people here play or watch rugby but I am sure that most of you know of the sport.

I am playing my first match of the season later today, but I am very worried because the enemy-I mean opposing team are very good. The last two years it felt like we were their whippin' boys. :smalleek: They are a very physical side and i am praying that I do not pick up a heavy injury which is not that hard to do seeing as I play Prop but I am built like a Flanker.

On a side note: The Rugby World Cup started yesterday, what an upset! A very interesting way to start the Competition. Who do you think is tipped to win? I vote NZ.

Well, wish me luck! :smallbiggrin:

The_Chilli_God
2007-09-08, 04:30 AM
Luck.

Oh, hmm. Let me guess who I'm going to vote for.
Aaahh... *Checks Location* Hm...
Well... I vote All Blacks.

Not that I'm keeping track.
<.< >.>
What? I'm not!

Tom_Violence
2007-09-08, 08:33 AM
Well, Japan Vs Australia is about to start. Should be amusing at least. If England lose against USA this afternoon I think they may have to officially give up rugby all together. For World Champions, they really haven't been impressing recently.

As for who I'm actually supporting - Ireland all the way! :smallbiggrin:

Albub
2007-09-08, 04:47 PM
I don't know about watching, but I love playing rugby. My favourite is torpedoing people's feet when they come to tackle me, they get all surprised and I get an extra few yards on it, and apparently it's really entertaining to watch.

FdL
2007-09-08, 05:15 PM
Yay! Go Pumas!!! Or something :p

Stadge
2007-09-09, 09:50 AM
Well, I don't play Union, but I do play League, and at its core, it's still rugby.

We've had our first two matches this week, one mid-week and the other one this morning, we won them both, so that's good.

Today wasn't a great game though, I got knocked out cold in the first ten minutes, then got my nose bust in the second half, still, we won quite well (32-12) even though four of our players didn't turn up.

Well, thats my input anyway.

Oh, and good luck to all those who play the sport.

Exeson
2007-09-09, 12:14 PM
Well I made it back in one piece! We lost the game 18 - 8 but it was still a fun match, and it showed our team how much we have improved since playing them last. I also went to my club's training session this morning, which was very fun but now I am as stiff as a walking scarecrow. :smallsmile:

I managed not to pick up any injuries but our other prop (loose head), who is also our captain had to go off and we think he has torn his calf muscle. :smalleek:

Well, I am looking forward to the season anyway and the pain only serves to tell me I am alive. Just out of interest, What position do you play Albub?

Albub
2007-09-09, 05:20 PM
Winger. Though last year was my first year, and being unsure of how to play, at first I often found myself up with the forwards taking rucks:smalltongue:

LazyJoe
2007-09-09, 05:56 PM
I was disappointed but not terribly surprised by England's performance against the USA, seems like they need to pull out something really special if they even want a chance of getting a decent placing.

However, after a long Summer of boring work it did respark my passion for the game and I can't wait to get back to uni to play again despite having the toughest job on the field; loosehead prop. They just love sticking me at no. 3 in the line-out because no-one else wants to lift front and back.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-10, 06:11 AM
Well, Japan Vs Australia is about to start.

I was terrified! 91(ish) to 3, those Japanese where just about to make their come back!

Pity it hasn't been Aussies vs those Brits. I've been waiting ages to rub something in Charity's face (I may have to opt for sandpaper if nothing arises)

Exeson
2007-09-10, 02:42 PM
However, after a long Summer of boring work it did respark my passion for the game and I can't wait to get back to uni to play again despite having the toughest job on the field; loosehead prop. They just love sticking me at no. 3 in the line-out because no-one else wants to lift front and back.

We props have to work harder than they think eh? good that there is another widowmaker prop on these boards. Have you got any dirty tricks that you would care to share?

I am also number 3 in the lineout because I am the strongest :) Its hard work though. :smallsmile:

Pity it hasn't been Aussies vs those Brits. I've been waiting ages to rub something in Charity's face

Heh. I am waiting for the England - South Africa match for just that reason, but replace Charity with Every English Person I Know which is quite a few considering I live in England.