PDA

View Full Version : new to d&d

Unequalboot3013
2018-06-14, 09:44 PM
does anyone know of a game that i could go into (forum based) that could help me learn the ropes and be a good first experience?

Goaty14
2018-06-14, 11:59 PM
Hello, and welcome to Giant in the Playground! I think you're looking to join an online Play-by-Post group, then you should start by heading down to the Finding Players (Recruitment) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) subforum and find a recruiting game that you like. I'm not sure if there's a DM that wants to teach you, though it wouldn't bother to start a thread to ask about it.

Strigon
2018-06-15, 08:17 AM
What you're asking about is Play-by-Post, as Goaty said.
Though you should be warned these games are notoriously fickle; a lot of them never actually start, and many that do simply sputter and die before too long. There are some great ones, of course, but you shouldn't expect the first game you join to get you to level 20.

They're also not the best place to learn the game - though you can be taught, it's a lot easier with personal interaction, or at least a real-time chat, such as Skype or Discord. Some places - such as Roll20 - are more geared towards that.

If you want to stick to the forum, however, Play-by-Post is what you've got. Be patient, and you'll find something.

Lector87
2018-06-15, 08:27 AM
What you're asking about is Play-by-Post, as Goaty said.
Though you should be warned these games are notoriously fickle; a lot of them never actually start, and many that do simply sputter and die before too long.

To be fair, this is also true of most in-person campaigns...

Ostara
2018-06-17, 10:31 PM
To be fair, this is also true of most in-person campaigns...

This is so true it hurts, unfortunately.

Strigon has it right though, your best bet is to look for something low-level in the play-by-posts, or better yet find a few friends who are new(or willing to teach) and use things like the SRD or books to figure stuff out.