PDA

View Full Version : D6 games

LVOD
2018-06-15, 09:15 AM
What are some if your favorite ttrpgs that only (or primarily) use d6s?

Blymurkla
2018-06-15, 09:31 AM
Mouse Guard

The Super Crew

RossN
2018-06-15, 10:04 AM
Advanced Fighting Fantasy.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-15, 11:30 AM
Well, there's West End Game's d6 System (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D6_System)... also I think Shadowrun and most editions of Traveler. Fudge and Fate can be played with 2d6 instead of the special dice as well.

MrSandman
2018-06-15, 12:22 PM
Didn't The One Ring work with a basic roll of 2d6?

Thrudd
2018-06-15, 12:31 PM
How did you guys forget GURPS? You just need 3d6.

Feng Shui: action movie roleplaying also uses only 2d6 (they just need to look different from one another-color, size, whatever)

Blymurkla
2018-06-15, 12:47 PM
How did you guys forget GURPS? You just need 3d6. Forget? We where asked to name our favorite games.

Didn't The One Ring work with a basic roll of 2d6? Didn't it also have a special d12 on every roll? With a Gandalf and a Sauron rune? Or am I miss-remembering? Haven't played more than one or two sessions.

LibraryOgre
2018-06-15, 04:04 PM
d6 is a relatively solid system.

Shadowrun is a great world with a system that I really don't like.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-06-15, 07:47 PM
Burning Wheel.

Harpier
2018-06-15, 09:01 PM
Don't Rest Your Head

Nizaris
2018-06-15, 09:05 PM
The Awesome System

Algeh
2018-06-16, 01:27 AM
How did you guys forget GURPS? You just need 3d6.

Forget? We where asked to name our favorite games.

Hey, GURPS isn't a game, it's a game system.

Any game can be played with nothing but d6's, assuming your are willing to make a lot of annoying conversions charts, spend valuable brain time on how to do so most efficiently without changing the probabilities, and jump through a lot of hoops!

GrayDeath
2018-06-16, 02:39 AM
Hmmm, Shadowrun, ASoIaF RPG, D6 Star Wars would be my 3 most favourite "Use only D6" that I didn`t build myself. ^^

JellyPooga
2018-06-16, 04:59 AM
Forget? We where asked to name our favorite games.

Didn't it also have a special d12 on every roll? With a Gandalf and a Sauron rune? Or am I miss-remembering? Haven't played more than one or two sessions.

The One Ring is basically a d6 dice pool system, but yeah, there was that d12 as well. Great system.

Cluedrew
2018-06-16, 08:26 AM
Role For Shoes, it is a rules light rules system (the rules are a bulleted list with 7 items) that favours improvisation and comedy.

Jay R
2018-06-16, 10:54 AM
TOON. Almost everybody can stay in character. We all know how cartoon characters are supposed to act.

The biggest weakness is that long-time role-players make the mistake of trying to avoid losing all your hit points. It takes awhile to recognize that all it means is that you Fall Down, get little X's in your eyes, and walk back on screen three minutes later.

When you try to do something clearly impossible (an elephant trying to slip through a mousehole, or a frog trying to lift an entire house), you roll on your Smarts. If you fail the roll, you succeed at the task.

The greatest strength is that you automatically get a Plot Point if you make the Animator laugh so much he can't run the game.

Yora
2018-06-16, 11:50 AM
Star Wars d6. Even after 30 years and countless different games and editions, they still never managed to make something equally good or better.

Barbarians of Lemuria is also nice.

And Apocalypse World.

And RISUS.

Are there any games other than D&D that use other dice than just d6s?

Cluedrew
2018-06-16, 01:51 PM
To Yora: The World of Darkness and possibly all White Wolf games use pools of d10s. Savage Worlds uses your stat as dice size. FUDGE/FATE Fudge dice which are not standard d6s (still six sided). I have heard of a Star Wars game that used custom dice, but I don't know much about that. Then an endless litany of fantasy heartbreakers and d20 related systems.

Illogictree
2018-06-16, 06:36 PM
Dungeon World so far. It's been my favorite system to run (which ironically means I haven't been able to actually USE the dice since the GM doesn't do any rolling in PBTA games).

I haven't had a chance to try Risus or TOON, though they look like fun.

ATHATH
2018-06-17, 03:14 AM
Shadowrun.

Also, Roll to Dodge:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RollToDodge
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=19.0

Here's a link to a list of links to and summaries of some of the greatest Roll to Dodge games ever to be run on Bay12: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150088.0

Knaight
2018-06-17, 05:25 PM
Most of my list has been mentioned, but I'd add Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. Which is one game, not three.

Are there any games other than D&D that use other dice than just d6s?
Tons of them. There's step die systems, where the size of the die varies with character skill (Savage Worlds, Cortex, Chronica Feudalis). There's roll and keep systems with varying numbers of dice, which tend to use d10 (Flashing Blades, Legend of the Five Rings). There's d10 dicepool systems (World of Darkness, Exalted). There's the ORE series of games, which use d10 (Reign, Nemesis, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Wild Talents, Godlike). There's roll and add systems based on d10 (Qin: The Warring States). There's non-D&D games that use the d20 in a roll and add or roll under fashion (Pendragon, Mutants and Masterminds). Then there's the games that use special custom dice, some of which map to a d3 better than anything (Fudge, Fate, Genesys).

There's some obvious patterns there, starting with how there's a tendency for games where you roll a lot of dice to involve either d6 or d10s exclusively, and a tendency forgames where you roll a consistent number of dice (usually 1-2) to involve either d6, d10, or d20 exclusively or break out the full polyhedrals. I've never seen a game that uses only d8, only d4, or only d12, though I assume they're out there somewhere.

MrSandman
2018-06-18, 12:14 PM
I've never seen a game that uses only d8, only d4, or only d12, though I assume they're out there somewhere.

There was a game, I can't remember its name, that had you roll 3d12, discard the lowest, and then choose one of the remaining dice based on something (you'd choose the lowest [i.e. the middle result] unless you had advantage or something like that, if I recall correctly).

John Campbell
2018-06-18, 11:02 PM
My favorite d6 system: Shadowrun. 3E, specifically. This is also my favorite system, period.

On the non-d6 systems front, a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

The old TSR Marvel Superheroes and Top Secret systems were based entirely on percentile dice.

Paranoia uses a d20, but it's treasonous to know how. Are you a traitor, Citizen?

The Mutant Chronicles system uses a d20 dice pool with effect dice that are six-sided but not properly d6es. (The sides are 0, 0, 1, 2, 1+Effect, 1+Effect. This is simulated with ordinary d6es by 1 and 2 are what you rolled, 3 and 4 are 0, and 5 and 6 are 1+Effect.) The system has been used in some other games; I'm currently playing in a Conan campaign using it.

The old DC Heroes system used a non-percentile 2d10 system with exploding doubles. The current DC Adventures game uses the Mutants & Masterminds system (already mentioned), which uses a d20, but isn't d20™.

Knaight
2018-06-18, 11:12 PM
The old TSR Marvel Superheroes and Top Secret systems were based entirely on percentile dice.

As does Rolemaster, Call of Cthulhu, everything Palladium, and most Warhammer RPGs. It's a whole different common die mechanic that I just completely spaced* in my previous post.

*Probably because I dislike it.

Lodestar
2018-06-18, 11:17 PM
I'd give it to Kamigakari.

farothel
2018-06-20, 01:13 PM
Star trek (Last Unicorn version) also only uses d6. At most I think you need about 6 or 7 of those.

Max_Killjoy
2018-06-20, 01:15 PM
WEG d6 Star Wars.

The Planet Mercenary PRG.

John Campbell
2018-06-20, 03:35 PM
Oh, yeah, add Earthdawn to the step die list.

The old (pre-Savage Worlds) Deadlands system was both a step die system and a dice pool system, with your skill determining how many dice you got and the linked attribute determining the size of the dice. The system used playing cards, too, in a very setting-appropriate flavorful way.

(Savage Worlds still has the playing cards, but has gotten rid of all the flavor and uses them mostly for a really annoying initiative system.)