PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Gunslinger Class

Boater
2018-06-19, 05:48 PM
I’ve been reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King as of late, and I was inspired to create a class based on the hero, Roland Deschain. It is certainly a work in progress and hope to finish it soon. Here is what I have so far, in the style of most 3.5 classes, although lacking the summary table. The BAB and saves are the same as a Rogue’s.

The gunslinger faces years of training and preparation in order to wield his custom made and fitted revolvers. With these guns he enforces his own moral codes which are typically altruistic but he is not unknown to the temptation of personal ambition and gain. The gunslinger never fails to amaze onlookers with his borderline supernatural abilities with his guns, and his equally astonishing senses.
Adventures: Normally gunslingers simply seek to protect those around him, unless a higher purpose calls upon him, or if a particular goal tempts him more. Most end up wandering from town to town unless they attach themselves to a particular group/person/goal.
Characteristics: Gunslingers are master ranged combatants and are proficient with with simple weapons and light armor. Also due to their nomadic nature, most are fairly skilled survivalists as well, spending much time camping out in the wilderness.
Alignment: Due to the intense nature of their training, gunslingers are always neutral, and because of the teachings and values that were imprinted upon them, they can never be evil. Normally, gunslingers are Lawful Neutral, but particularly dedicated gunslingers are not totally unknown, so Good is also an acceptable alignment.
Religion: Gunslingers are fairly indifferent towards gods, they don’t discard the concept of higher powers but typically don’t commit themself to a god either. A gunslinger’s view on religion vary from person to person.
Background: Gunslingers are brought up from childhood to fill their shoes, often forming close bonds with their peers and those who taught them. The training is intense, and never enjoyable, in order to weed out the weak willed, and weak minded; causing almost all gunslingers to have a heart of stone and an iron will. That does not mean however, that gunslingers are unsympathetic some are even willing to pass on their training to their own disciples, but that is somewhat rare.

One thing every gunslinger is completely dedicated to is this mantra:

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”

Some believe that such dedication and intense reliance on this mantra contributes to the gunslinger’s almost supernatural abilities.

Game Rule Information
Abilities: Dexterity is important to a gunslinger as it will determine his ability to land
shots and his ability to avoid being hit. Wisdom and Charisma are also important as they
contribute to his already supernatural senses, and the latter will contribute to his ability to intimidate and amaze.
Alignment: Lawful Good/Neutral
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
Skills: Crafts (INT), Knowledge (nobility, history, geography) (INT), Handle Animal (WIS), Intimidate (CHA), Listen (WIS), Perform (Flourish)(CHA), Ride (DEX), Sense Motive (WIS), Spot (WIS), Survival (WIS)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

Ambidexterity (I): Part of the intense training of a gunslinger involves learning how to wield two guns at once, a gunslinger is treated as having two weapon fighting when using his own revolvers.

Ambidexterity (II): At 8th level a gunslinger is treated as having the improved two weapon fighting feat so long as he is using his own revolvers.

Trusty Revolvers: Every gunslinger has a set of identical revolvers custom made in excruciating detail to make sure that the gunslinger is as comfortable as possible when using his guns. Information further than the stats presented below are given later in the document. Revolvers are NOT light weapons.

Revolver: 2d8 30ft 2x Crit 4 lb. Piercing

Anyone who is proficient with a crossbow is similarly proficient with a revolver. However, a character may not dual wield revolvers unless A) they are a gunslinger with the Ambidexterity trait, and B) using the revolvers specifically crafted for them. If a character does not fulfill both of the aforementioned prerequisites then he cannot dual wield the guns.

Track: Starting at 1st level, a gunslinger is gains Track as a bonus feat, allowing him to follow tracks using the survival skill.

Quick Draw: A 2nd level gunslinger is treated as having the Quick Draw feat when drawing his revolvers. This ability can be used to draw both revolvers.

Flourish: At 3rd level the gunslinger can flourish his revolvers, making a performance check, in combat the gunslinger can daze an enemy for 1 round; this counts as a move action. outside of combat this can be used to hypnotize (charm) a character for as long as the gunslinger continues to flourish his pistols (to a maximum of 1 + CHA mod minutes). This is a mind affecting extraordinary ability. This ability is dependant upon the Perform skill, Will save negates (DC of 10 + CHA modifier).

Animal Companion: Similar to a ranger, the gunslinger gains an animal companion at 4th level. The feature functions exactly like it might for the ranger but the gunslinger chooses from a restricted list which includes: dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), or pony. Otherwise consult the ranger class in the Player’s Handbook.

Keen Senses: Starting at 5th level, a gunslinger gains near supernatural sense, giving a +1 insight bonus to Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive, this bonus increases by +1 every 5 levels (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, +4 at 20th)

Crackshot: Starting at 2nd level, a gunslinger can use a full round action to line up a precise shot with one of his revolvers and let off an accurate shot that pierces a vital spot on the target. The gunslinger adds 1d10 extra damage to this attack (the bonus damage increases by 1d10 every 4 levels, to a max of 5d10 at 18th level). This ability can be used once per day (uses increase by one every 4 levels along with the extra damage die)

Fan the Hammer: At 20th level, once per day, you may expend an entire cylinder, in one full attack action. You also take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. You can only use one pistol when using this ability. Furthermore, the gunslinger may make a movement before or after the attack, (allowing the character to reload if they have taken the Rapid Reload feat).