PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Occultist Archivist Archetype PEACH

Avigor
2018-06-24, 01:53 PM
Not all Occultists study psychic energies or rely on faith, some study the powers of the divine and learn to channel these powers without requiring faith. These scholars are often maligned as heretics or blasphemers stealing the power of the divine, while in truth they do not steal power, and often hold a healthy respect for the power of the gods, even if they often feel no need to offer worship themselves and are unafraid of the knowledge of how many divine beings either ascended from mortality or have died throughout the ages.

Sacred Implements: All implement selections must be from the sacred implements list. All sacred implements count as a holy symbol when wielded by an archivist.
This ability modifies implements.

Orisons: An archivist gains one orison, or 0-level divine spell, each time he selects an implement school (including when he again selects a school that he has already learned to use.) These orisons otherwise behave as an occultist’s knacks.
This ability replaces knacks.

Spellcasting: You prepare and cast spells as a wizard, except that the spells you cast are divine and your spellbook is called a prayer book. You start at level one with two 1st-level spells of schools appropriate to your implements from the base cleric list, plus one additional 1st level spell of appropriate school per point of Intelligence bonus. Each level, you gain spells for your prayer book of appropriate level and from schools appropriate to your implements from the cleric list. In addition, you may scribe any scrolls you find of divine spells (regardless of which class they come from) into your prayer book in the same way that a wizard can scribe spell scrolls into his spellbook; if, using this method, you learn a spell of 6th level or lower that is not of a school for which you have acquired an appropriate implement, you can still prepare and cast it using the same rules as a wizard using a spell from a prohibited school of magic, but you cannot prepare or cast any spells of 7th level or higher of schools for which you have not acquired an appropriate implement.
This ability replaces the occultist's psychic spells.

---
So what do you think? I just felt that the Occultist seemed like a shoe-in for an Archivist adaptation and was kind of surprised that there wasn't one already.
EDIT: Upgraded spellcasting to full casting, limiting upper levels to colleges with an implement.

noob
2018-06-24, 02:40 PM
I think it would be a bit underwhelming to have a partial caster drawing from the list of a full caster instead.
Partial casters often get a bunch of spells at a lower spell level due to how they have partial casting but that archivist does not have that.
Then the implements are not that much good.
So I have the feeling that the occultist archivist will feel underwhelming when compared to a regular cleric.

Avigor
2018-06-25, 04:57 PM
I think it would be a bit underwhelming to have a partial caster drawing from the list of a full caster instead.
Partial casters often get a bunch of spells at a lower spell level due to how they have partial casting but that archivist does not have that.
Then the implements are not that much good.
So I have the feeling that the occultist archivist will feel underwhelming when compared to a regular cleric.

Point, I probably did over-nerf the HoH Archivist's "cast literally everything" potential by sticking it with the occultist slots table as well as limiting it to Cleric spells and having unlearned colleges + domains act like PF Wizard prohibited spells... While the other features help balance the base class spellcasting limits, it might not be quite enough. I'm worried the balance could tip too far the other way if I were to give it full original Archivist spellcasting, albeit keeping the college and implement type limit (for the caster level penalties to "opposed" colleges) could work... I kinda feel like I want to apply some limit to non-basic Cleric spells (whether Domain, Druid, whatever), but I'm unsure of what limits might be appropriate. Thoughts?

Another idea I had, but which is not applied yet, was to add a Mental Focus option for Channel Energy, something like focus points converted into uses per day + 1 extra focus per channel feat you want to benefit from for that day (and as always you can apply generic points later at a 2:1 ratio). Anyone think that could be workable?

Basically chose to use the Occultist to recreate the Archivist for Pathfinder because it felt the most appropriate, what with the seeking out special relics ("You can either sell me the cursed stele, or you can wait for its original owner to come for it. The choice is yours."), working with outsiders, etc.

noob
2018-06-26, 02:45 AM
Point, I probably did over-nerf the HoH Archivist's "cast literally everything" potential by sticking it with the occultist slots table as well as limiting it to Cleric spells and having unlearned colleges + domains act like PF Wizard prohibited spells... While the other features help balance the base class spellcasting limits, it might not be quite enough. I'm worried the balance could tip too far the other way if I were to give it full original Archivist spellcasting, albeit keeping the college and implement type limit (for the caster level penalties to "opposed" colleges) could work... I kinda feel like I want to apply some limit to non-basic Cleric spells (whether Domain, Druid, whatever), but I'm unsure of what limits might be appropriate. Thoughts?

Another idea I had, but which is not applied yet, was to add a Mental Focus option for Channel Energy, something like focus points converted into uses per day + 1 extra focus per channel feat you want to benefit from for that day (and as always you can apply generic points later at a 2:1 ratio). Anyone think that could be workable?

Basically chose to use the Occultist to recreate the Archivist for Pathfinder because it felt the most appropriate, what with the seeking out special relics ("You can either sell me the cursed stele, or you can wait for its original owner to come for it. The choice is yours."), working with outsiders, etc.

Due to how most implement focuses are not very strong(in fact even weak when compared to some domain powers) and that they represent most class features outside of the casting it would make sense to boost the casting and give slots up to ninth level with some restriction like having those spell slots only usable for one school.

Avigor
2018-06-26, 11:29 PM
Due to how most implement focuses are not very strong(in fact even weak when compared to some domain powers) and that they represent most class features outside of the casting it would make sense to boost the casting and give slots up to ninth level with some restriction like having those spell slots only usable for one school.

Okay, decided to go ahead with full casting and access to non-cleric divine spells with the caveat that level 7 and above requires you to have an appropriate implement for the college of magic, while 6 and below follows the wizard prohibited spells rule if you lack an appropriate implement.